“Great Place to relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luigi's Complex

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kololi
Luigi's Complex
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kololi
ramsbury
“Great Place to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

My Wife booked Luigi's as part of a birthday suprise for me, I have to say that the staff were extremely freindly and the whole place very welcoming. The pool area was really nice, good service, and the food in the restaurant was excellent. Drinks in the hotel are more expensive than the bars around it, but you pays your money and takes your choice.
The breakfast could have been a little more exciting, but the coocked breakfasts (extra cost) were very good. The room we had was very comfortable the only dissapointment was the noise from the neighbouring bars at night although this normally went quiet at around 11.30 but one night the beach club next door had a reggae night until 2 am, very loud but not the hotel's fault. Taxi's are plentiful but if taking a taxi from the hotel to the Senegambia strip look out for Yaya in a green Peugeot estate (don't be fooled by appearances, no traffic ever drives fast in Gambia it is as safe as any) he is great guy and will give yuo a good deal, always haggle and agree the price before you get in. He is a good driver and very knowledgable. He will offer to take you places and we used him to go the Vulture feeding, the Monkey Park and the Croc Pool in Bacau, in all he stayed with us for around 3 1/2 hours for 500 dalsis about 12 pounds.
The beach is around 50 metres from the beach, you will be approached on the beach by all and sundry trying to offer you the best this or that, but a firm "later" usually stops them but they are alway freindly and never aggresive. Look out also for Alex at the New Balieys bar on the beach, well worth a visit on Tuesday night as they have a barbeque, you may need to book, and Solomons fish bar also on the beach, which has the best take on fish and chips ever, with butter fish, onions and chips wrapped in foil and cooked on charcoal, delicious fro around 3 pounds. When we go back to Gambia we will almost certainly stay here again, Julie was vey helpful to Sara in the organising of this trip. Groups of girls should watch out for Giovani, i'm sure he thinks his name is casanova, but nice enough.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Review by Corral & David
Do you want a relaxing, safe, clean, place to stay in the Gambia?
Then I can unreservedly recommend Luigi's. All the staff are trustworthy well presented and well trained. Nothing is to much trouble and every effort is made to make your stay enjoyable . The compound is spotless and quiet and within a few yards from the beach and local bars and restaurants. The accommodation is varied Self catering , Bed & Breakfast , Family rooms or Executive Apartments are all available.
there is a large relaxing pool and garden with sun loungers and sun shades which is maintained to the very highest standard.
Luigi's Restaurant has earned a well deserved reputation as one of the finest Italian Bistros in The Gambia.
We have been going to Luigi's a number of years now and NEVER been disappointed

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Where do i start !!!
I cant believe anyone can write a bad review about Luiges, the hospitality is tremendous
not only by julie , luigie and givannie the staff and all guests included, travelling solo or with friends your welomed like extended family, you wouldnt get homesick here.
I came here last year with my 13yr old & 11yr old daughters whom absolutley loved it, the apartment was superb like home from home, luxury of course lol.
I returned this year with my dear friend and her father whom is 86 and the hospitality was second to none, he didnt want to leave.
The complex is so well maintained they would NEVER allow a leaking shower!!! nor shout at staff, it discusts me that anyone can write such crap!!!
Many of the guests return year after year including my parents who are on their 18th year at luigis.
Out and about, the beach is a short walk as are pubs and shops. If you cant find what your looking for just ask anyone of the staff and they will do there best to get what you require.
Final note, i cant WAIT to return.....

Poole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I've been going to the Gambia for 6+ years, and my family have been going for 15+ years. So when I say the best appointed appartments in the Gambia believe me I've tried a lot of them.

We had a superior suite overlooking the pool and it was great. Clean, tidy, fridge, A/C, 4 ring hob (no oven), good sized lounge / dinner and a good sized bed. In fact everything you'd need from a one bed self catering. And all done very nicely. If some poeple complain about the facilities then they should try a few other places eg. Palma Rima! The appartments are great. I can't speak for the other rooms but I'm sure they too are very good, though maybe smaller.

So thats all the good bits, there are some slight down sides.

1) most of the guests are of the more elderly persuasion. They all seem to come back every year and really enjoy themselves. But maybe if your looking for a party every evening in the bar, this might not be the place. Don't get me wrong everyone is friendly and enjoy a drink late afternoon, but maybe a little quiet for some. No us we were looking forward to a quiet stay.

2) A bit noisey for some. There are two bars near by that have bands on most evenings, and they can go on till 1am. Also one sat / sun a month there is a very loud beach party / concert very nearby. I know a lot of people did complain about this. As it happens I sleep like a log, nothing would wake me, so I slept though it all, didnt bother me one bit. However if you are light sleeper it might be an issue. It shouldnt put you off but maybe bring some ear plugs. As we were leaving to come home we spoke with the owner Juliet and she is planning to double glaze all the rooms over the next few season, so no more problem

INFO

As I said the complex is great, lovely pool, great staff but maybe a little quiet. But if you want life then its never too far in a taxi. There is nice little bar next door, lively freindly etc. But if you want to go to the main tourist area, called Senegambia, then it is only D200 (about £4.50) return in a taxi. Once on the stip there are plenty of bar, restaurants, nightclubs etc etc

Overall a lovely place, certainly the nicest place I've stay in the Gambia, maybe a little quiet at night but that suited us just fine.

Highly recommended

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I find it amazing that Luigi's has such high ratings. This wasnt my experience.

Whilst cleanliness was acceptable, location is about 100 metres off the beach and a good 20-30 minute walk from Senegambia. I paid £40 for a room that was too cramped. The shower was awful and didnt drain properly. Indeed, on the first night I found that showering caused most of my room to be flooded.

On a number of occasions, I listened to the owner shouting at the staff - Something I dont ever want to hear in any establishment.

I was looking for a quiet trip to get away from things at home. I certainly didnt get that here. If I were to return to the Gambia, I wouldnt stay at this hotel again

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
stevenage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

As a 1st timer to Gambia (My wife's 8th) Luigis as a place to stay was faultless. It's a hotel where you are made to feel part of the family by Julie,Luigi, and every one of the efficient and friendly staff. Jule and Luigi have a diamond in Keba. He was particularly polite and helpful, even making sure that my Mum (who stayed for 1 of our 2 weeks) made it through to the check in desk hassle free on her departure! We stayed in a B & B room, which was spotlessly clean, and with an attention to detail that would put many top class hotels to shame. Luigi's is 50 yds from the beach, and a short taxi ride to the main tourist area at Senegambia. We'll be booking again very soon!

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed at Luigis over xmas and new year and it was the best ever. Julie and her staff cannot do enough for you and make you feel so welcome.
The apartments are of excellent standard and are immaculately clean and well furnished with everything you need.
5 minute stroll to the beach and plenty of taxis outside the complex should you wish to travel further. There are a few bars and restaurants close by and a well stocked shop 10 mins walk away.
This was our 3rd visit to Gambia and we wish we'd found Luigis before......already booked a return visit !

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Luigi's Complex? Share your experiences!