“Easy going & close to the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Pension de la Plage Tahiti
PK 15,4 | B.P. 381593 Tamanu, Punaauia 98718, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Punaauia
Bochingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
“Easy going & close to the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our staying here in the pension was very niche: Motel style rooms face a swimming pool in the middle of a garden; friedndly and helpful staff; nice atmosphere. The beach ist just one hundretfifty meters away, and there is also a "roulotte" just across the road.

Room Tip: There are rooms with and without kitchenette; we preferred the last ones.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kiwi en Route
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Tahiti has a classic duel economy. Last time I was here was for four months in a sailing catamaran. With my floating living room gone this trip has been about living away from that expensive, inflated, touro economy while being based on land. Straight off a flight from NZ arriving at midnight, Pension de la Plage was to be our first such venture here.
Spending NZD3-400 per night at somewhere like the Radisson for an antiseptic ‘Tahitian experience’ is just not us. The Pension at NZD140 per night looked OK on the web site and being only 10kms south of the Faa Airport it would do on arrival I thought. Firstly I should have taken the warning from Vincent the proprietor saying he would leave the lights to our room on, as a portend of an unmotivated host. Secondly there was the startled sideways glance from the hire car lady when I said where we were staying.
At 1am the Pension was easy enough to find on one of the blackest of nights. South of Taina Marina all road lights have been switched off by this time. But in the absence of Vincent our host, finding our room was not so easy when 4 rooms had a light on and I didn’t fancy terrorizing occupants already in residence by a process of elimination. A local taxi driver dropping other clients off wasn’t as polite and woke up our reluctant host. At that hour we accepted keys to a spartan room and left examining it till the morning….but only after Vincent warned us about the non potable water and sold us some bottled! Generous!
We awoke already critical of the bed….both of us had had an interrupted sleep and sore backs. The offending mattress was thick rubber of the right hardness but it had been scalloped into the shape of its many previous occupants, which is both disconcerting and very uncomfortable. Matched with thin pillows it wasn’t a pleasant experience. The room was basically a concrete block space with furniture of cheap bamboo construction including fixed furniture. The fridge was off and empty…no coffee or tea provided, not even a mini soap in the bathroom and apparently even a cold bottle of water, or ready-made ice in the icebox was too much to ask for.
I was hoping to say …’at least the place was clean’, but the shower was mouldy especially in the tile grouting and the shower unit firstly sprayed water everywhere, before coming apart in my hand.
So what of pics on the website showing a pool that the units look out on. There are at a guess 12 units and the pool is 5m x 2m…tiny…just looks good in the pics. The landscaping is rough and as poorly maintained as the rooms…shoddy is the best description.
So how hard is it to provide cheaper but clean, comfortable and welcoming accommodation? It is not if you have a passion for it and if you have pride in your property, both of which seem to be sorely lacking here at Pension de la Plage. We have found superb examples elsewhere in the Society Islands which I have reviewed (Sunset Beach Motel in Papeete, or Linareva in Moorea), but for cheaper accomo when you first arrive in Papeete, my advice is to bypass this place and keep on looking. Tahitians are engaging, friendly, generous, hospitable people who take a great pride in their properties. This was not our experience with Vincent and his Pension.

I remain amazed at some of the positive reviews that have been posted. On our experience this place is a dive, you can do much better.

Room Tip: If you find good quality pension type accomo in Tahiti, please share it with us all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel, but the fact that it is called a Pension should alert travelers to this. Nor does it charge 5 Star rates, but we found it to be one of the cheaper options on the island. We stayed only 1 night prior to joining a cruise to Hawaii in Feb and didn't want to spend much as we had splurged a bit on the cruise and then had another week in Hawaii to budget for.There was my husband and 2 friends having the adjoining room. Ours had a little kitchenette and they both had their own old en suite bathrooms. (A freshen-up would be nice)
From the time of booking, the owner Vincent was incredibly helpful and delightful to deal with.I had been so impressed with our email interaction that I took him a bottle of New Zealand wine as a gift as it was like we were going to visit a friend of a friend.(For the record, I do not give away wine lightly). We utilised transport that Vincent had pre-arranged which appeared very reasonably priced and the driver was waiting to meet us at the airport. The rooms are basic but we found clean enough. It probably isn't the most secure, with the wooden rod being placed in the runner of the glass sliding door, but we didn't even worry too much. At night the gates are secured but I wouldn't imagine it would be that difficult to get onto the property. It is a single storey property that surrounds a basic but very clean pool, and each room has its own balcony/verandah. We arrived in time to look across to Moorea and watch the sunset on the beach and then walked across the road again by the beach & dined outside (with what I think were locals) at one of the 2 portable eateries, where the food was basically takeaways but very tasty, then we just had icecreams from the petrol station next door which had basic food commodities. The next morning we had a swim in the sea,( Wear beach feet), used our masks and snorkels as there was a bit to see, and then we walked down the road to a local shopping centre about 10mins away and went to a lovely wee bakery and had the most delicious brunch. Again Ice cream/frozen yoghurt at a parlour and we were set for the day.We could have had breakfast at the Pension for about US$10, but decided we wanted to explore a little. Vincent had allowed us to combine our bags in 1 room and we left about 1pm. It reminded me of Pensions I had stayed in in Greece and Paris in the '80's. Lots of charm and as I said Vincent was a lovely host.It is also their family home so there are a couple of delightful young boys and 2 dogs but I don't mind dogs or kids(both well behaved) so it wasn't a problem. It is on the road that circumnavigates the island and I did use airplugs, we were right on the boundary side of the property. As we hadn't used the Air-con(we hadn't figured out how to) Vincent dropped the rate on his own accord which I think was nice as he didn't have to. We would describe it as cheap and cheerful but for one night it was adequate and if you had a car you could easily park it here, for I imagine no extra cost and it would make a good base to explore the island especially if you are on a budget. Next stop on the cruise was Moorea, then Bora Bora, and it is not in the realm of the luxury over-water accommodation, but we would come back due to the homeliness and obviously the price, Merci Vincent

Room Tip: Probably best to avoid rooms along roadside if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a church organist/pianist from Nashville, Tennessee, I came to Tahiti for 2 months to read the Bible & was only going to stay here for 1 week, but the BEAUTY of the gardens; the incredible kindness of the lovely couple that own this gorgeous pension has kept me here for 6 weeks!!!!! The pool is incredible, the clientel top-notch & the rooms are absolutely fabulous & I have already been in 3 of them! The location is excellent (aross the street from the only white sand beaches in Tahiti) & Punaauia although only 10 miles from Papeete seems like another world!! The big-city hustle & bustle of Papeete I can get in New York City......I needed peace, calm, beauty & a spiritual vibe when I looked up from the Bible!! God put me in this special place & believe me I AM a WORLD TRAVELER! Also near restaurants & everything you could want.....the owner Vincent even had an electic keyboard! And the staff are gorgeous Tahitians!!

Room Tip: EVERY ROOM is EXCELLENT!! They are named after the different islands. I have been in the Bora Bora...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

To start off, the staff are lovely and I couldn't say a bad word about them! Very helpful and pleasant..

£88 per night and after reading all the reviews on tripadvisor, my girlfriend and I thought we were going to be staying in a beautiful resort. When we arrived, we walked inside and realised there were no locks on the doors or windows and people could easily get in. They give you a stick to wedge against the door to make it more difficult to break in so we felt pretty unsafe the whole time. It was hard to sleep because of the barking dogs (inside the grounds).

The first morning when I had just woken up, I was greeted by a lady from the room next door walking into my room (There are doors between the rooms and they aren't locked). Shortly after that I was greeted by a huge colony of ants in my suitcase. Decoration is.. to put it lightly, lets just say 1970s. Floor was dirty when we came in and there were hairs in the bed (hair not from a head).

There was a tray sitting on top of the fridge and I picked it up.. It was sitting there for a reason: to cover up the large hole on top of the fridge that was caused by mould. Cutlery couldn't be used because it was dirty when we arrived and also because of the ants which were just everywhere.

Bathroom was clean enough but very old..

Beach opposite hotel is actually all rock and not beach at all. There are stray dogs running around everywhere aswell as rats, cockroaches etc.

There was a dead bird sitting outside for the duration of our stay which was the icing on the cake really..

If I was to recommend anything it would be to just pay £50 extra per night and stay in the Meridien just down the road. Much nicer and worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had always dreamt to go to Tahiti and Polynesia and I wasn't disapointed it was even better than in dreams.
We stayed a week at la pension and I didn't want to leave the place and go back to Chicago.
We had a beautiful, large room with a terrace overlooking a tropical garden. The decoration was done with local flair and I loved it. There was a big swimming pool but I didn't put a foot in it, there is a white sand beach a few minutes away...
The hotel is not far from the main city of Papeete and a few conveniences are around.
The staff was very nice with us, friendly and smiling and they helped us a lot with our planning.
There isn't much else to say, it is beautiful, close to the beach, calm, sunny and everything I expected from a tropical island.
I wish I could be there now...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This pension has it all! It is located in Punaauia so Close enough to the airport and Papeete. It is on the main road too which makes it easy to circulate. We would recommend through to rent a car so you can discover the island. There is some parking space in the pension. The pension is located to a beach where in the evening roulottes appear. It is a great place to eat cheap food and even crepes! The pension has around 10 bungalows all located around a swimming pool ( which is a great feature). Some of the bungalows have a kitchenette if you want to keep your budget low. There is a petrol station next door ( where you wait for the bus to Papeete which cost 250 francs per person, make sure you have the exact amount. Contrary to other we never had problems with the bus there). Alain and Anne Marie are great host and will cater to all your needs. They can book you your airport transfer if needed. Thank you. Roberto & Berengere

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pension de la Plage Tahiti? Share your experiences!