“It is what it is..... and that is meant in a good way!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pension de la Plage Tahiti

and 1 more site!
You added Pension de la Plage Tahiti to your Saves list
Pension de la Plage Tahiti
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   PK 15,4 | B.P. 381593 Tamanu, Punaauia 98718, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Punaauia B&B and Inns
Christchurch
“It is what it is..... and that is meant in a good way!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel, but the fact that it is called a Pension should alert travelers to this. Nor does it charge 5 Star rates, but we found it to be one of the cheaper options on the island. We stayed only 1 night prior to joining a cruise to Hawaii in Feb and didn't want to spend much as we had splurged a bit on the cruise and then had another week in Hawaii to budget for.There was my husband and 2 friends having the adjoining room. Ours had a little kitchenette and they both had their own old en suite bathrooms. (A freshen-up would be nice)
From the time of booking, the owner Vincent was incredibly helpful and delightful to deal with.I had been so impressed with our email interaction that I took him a bottle of New Zealand wine as a gift as it was like we were going to visit a friend of a friend.(For the record, I do not give away wine lightly). We utilised transport that Vincent had pre-arranged which appeared very reasonably priced and the driver was waiting to meet us at the airport. The rooms are basic but we found clean enough. It probably isn't the most secure, with the wooden rod being placed in the runner of the glass sliding door, but we didn't even worry too much. At night the gates are secured but I wouldn't imagine it would be that difficult to get onto the property. It is a single storey property that surrounds a basic but very clean pool, and each room has its own balcony/verandah. We arrived in time to look across to Moorea and watch the sunset on the beach and then walked across the road again by the beach & dined outside (with what I think were locals) at one of the 2 portable eateries, where the food was basically takeaways but very tasty, then we just had icecreams from the petrol station next door which had basic food commodities. The next morning we had a swim in the sea,( Wear beach feet), used our masks and snorkels as there was a bit to see, and then we walked down the road to a local shopping centre about 10mins away and went to a lovely wee bakery and had the most delicious brunch. Again Ice cream/frozen yoghurt at a parlour and we were set for the day.We could have had breakfast at the Pension for about US$10, but decided we wanted to explore a little. Vincent had allowed us to combine our bags in 1 room and we left about 1pm. It reminded me of Pensions I had stayed in in Greece and Paris in the '80's. Lots of charm and as I said Vincent was a lovely host.It is also their family home so there are a couple of delightful young boys and 2 dogs but I don't mind dogs or kids(both well behaved) so it wasn't a problem. It is on the road that circumnavigates the island and I did use airplugs, we were right on the boundary side of the property. As we hadn't used the Air-con(we hadn't figured out how to) Vincent dropped the rate on his own accord which I think was nice as he didn't have to. We would describe it as cheap and cheerful but for one night it was adequate and if you had a car you could easily park it here, for I imagine no extra cost and it would make a good base to explore the island especially if you are on a budget. Next stop on the cruise was Moorea, then Bora Bora, and it is not in the realm of the luxury over-water accommodation, but we would come back due to the homeliness and obviously the price, Merci Vincent

Room Tip: Probably best to avoid rooms along roadside if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a church organist/pianist from Nashville, Tennessee, I came to Tahiti for 2 months to read the Bible & was only going to stay here for 1 week, but the BEAUTY of the gardens; the incredible kindness of the lovely couple that own this gorgeous pension has kept me here for 6 weeks!!!!! The pool is incredible, the clientel top-notch & the rooms are absolutely fabulous & I have already been in 3 of them! The location is excellent (aross the street from the only white sand beaches in Tahiti) & Punaauia although only 10 miles from Papeete seems like another world!! The big-city hustle & bustle of Papeete I can get in New York City......I needed peace, calm, beauty & a spiritual vibe when I looked up from the Bible!! God put me in this special place & believe me I AM a WORLD TRAVELER! Also near restaurants & everything you could want.....the owner Vincent even had an electic keyboard! And the staff are gorgeous Tahitians!!

Room Tip: EVERY ROOM is EXCELLENT!! They are named after the different islands. I have been in the Bora Bora...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

To start off, the staff are lovely and I couldn't say a bad word about them! Very helpful and pleasant..

£88 per night and after reading all the reviews on tripadvisor, my girlfriend and I thought we were going to be staying in a beautiful resort. When we arrived, we walked inside and realised there were no locks on the doors or windows and people could easily get in. They give you a stick to wedge against the door to make it more difficult to break in so we felt pretty unsafe the whole time. It was hard to sleep because of the barking dogs (inside the grounds).

The first morning when I had just woken up, I was greeted by a lady from the room next door walking into my room (There are doors between the rooms and they aren't locked). Shortly after that I was greeted by a huge colony of ants in my suitcase. Decoration is.. to put it lightly, lets just say 1970s. Floor was dirty when we came in and there were hairs in the bed (hair not from a head).

There was a tray sitting on top of the fridge and I picked it up.. It was sitting there for a reason: to cover up the large hole on top of the fridge that was caused by mould. Cutlery couldn't be used because it was dirty when we arrived and also because of the ants which were just everywhere.

Bathroom was clean enough but very old..

Beach opposite hotel is actually all rock and not beach at all. There are stray dogs running around everywhere aswell as rats, cockroaches etc.

There was a dead bird sitting outside for the duration of our stay which was the icing on the cake really..

If I was to recommend anything it would be to just pay £50 extra per night and stay in the Meridien just down the road. Much nicer and worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had always dreamt to go to Tahiti and Polynesia and I wasn't disapointed it was even better than in dreams.
We stayed a week at la pension and I didn't want to leave the place and go back to Chicago.
We had a beautiful, large room with a terrace overlooking a tropical garden. The decoration was done with local flair and I loved it. There was a big swimming pool but I didn't put a foot in it, there is a white sand beach a few minutes away...
The hotel is not far from the main city of Papeete and a few conveniences are around.
The staff was very nice with us, friendly and smiling and they helped us a lot with our planning.
There isn't much else to say, it is beautiful, close to the beach, calm, sunny and everything I expected from a tropical island.
I wish I could be there now...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This pension has it all! It is located in Punaauia so Close enough to the airport and Papeete. It is on the main road too which makes it easy to circulate. We would recommend through to rent a car so you can discover the island. There is some parking space in the pension. The pension is located to a beach where in the evening roulottes appear. It is a great place to eat cheap food and even crepes! The pension has around 10 bungalows all located around a swimming pool ( which is a great feature). Some of the bungalows have a kitchenette if you want to keep your budget low. There is a petrol station next door ( where you wait for the bus to Papeete which cost 250 francs per person, make sure you have the exact amount. Contrary to other we never had problems with the bus there). Alain and Anne Marie are great host and will cater to all your needs. They can book you your airport transfer if needed. Thank you. Roberto & Berengere

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Köln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at the Pension de la Plage for 3 nights in September 2012 for the start of our honeymoon in French Polynesia. The bungalows are simple but nice and clean. The owner couple was very friendly and gave us tips where to have dinner or to find a supermarket. We also booked a 4x4 tour through them to visit the mountains of the island. The tour was really great and highly recommendable! The breakfast at the pension is simple but good, you have coffee, baguette, marmelade and cheese.
The beach which is not that beautiful is right across the street. We lent for free snorkeling stuff from the owners to go there.
The first day we went to visit Papeetee by the public bus. The owner explained us how to catch it, since there is no timetable or anything like that. The bus stop is just next to the pension, so we went there and just after 3 minutes waiting the bus arrived! So, this was a very cheap and easy way to go to the capital.
One afternoon, we spent at the pool of the pension, which is not that big but really nice and relaxing!
For a low budget stay we can recommend this pension.

If you got further questions or want to comment or see some more pictures you can visit our blog:

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This pension offers about 10 rooms around a small swimming pool in a nice garden, located close to the beach and the central ‘highway’ along the coast. You can choose for a normal room or a room with kitchenette. Budgetwise we think the kitchenette is probably better because we paid 1000 CPF for a basic breakfast (pp) and diner is quite expensive in Tahiti too. There is a large supermarket at walking distance. You also find some restaurants in the neighbourhood (amongst others a nice pizzeria).
The room is large, has a fan and is clean. We could use the transit room after checking out (shower and bagageroom).
The location is a bit of a minus considering the money you have to pay to get to the pension from the airport and vv (2000 CPF during the day, 3000 CPF nighttime). On Sunday there are no busses so we had to take a taxi to Papeete. Note: we were lucky because there were festivities celebrating the Chinese new year, but otherwise on a Sunday everything is closed. Also the Museum de Tahiti which is close to the pension, is unfortunately closed on Sunday (and Monday as well). A plus of the location is that is’t near a nice beach and if you want to do an excursion you will be picked up at the pension anyway so the distance from papeete doesn’t matter.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punaauia
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
#1 of 4 in Papeete
3.5 of 5 stars 1,020 reviews

Been to Pension de la Plage Tahiti? Share your experiences!