“Beautiful and Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Abiquiu B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful and Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My friend and I stayed here two nights - it is the place to stay when you intend to visit Georgia O'keefe's home tour and places where she used to go to paint her pictures. The room was very spacious and the bed was luxurious. The food in the restaurant is exceptional - piñon nuts in pancakes with rosemary syrup. Ceiling fans and nice windows that can open. Our beautiful room was in the building that had a back door to a panoramic view of the mountains. It was quiet, dark and I slept well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the Abiquiu Inn June 11-13, a beautiful time of year, in room 21, to celebrate a birthday. It was a lovely, exceptionally clean room with a large bathroom, fireplace, and two doors, one so you could step outside to the back of the property and access two chairs (per room), we enjoyed that early morning and at night. We appreciated the bizcochito cookies in our room when we arrived. We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room. The meals were very good - pinon pancakes, trout tacos, salmon and a very delicious tamale cake Napolean starter (twice!). Employees behind the desk and in the dining room were friendly and professional. I look forward to returning soon. Cell service is extremely limited but we knew that before we arrived so it was not a problem. The gardens and grounds are lovely. We were in the area to visit Ghost Ranch, approximately 15 miles from the Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the property are large and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Akita, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Beautiful, quiet, peaceful setting, but slightly marred by the bachlorette party that went on in the casita next door. I expected for the price we paid & the rural setting, to sleep peacefully. Perhaps this party should have taken place in the common area of the hotel? Was also woken early the 2nd morning by the people staying in the casita on the other side. Why so much noise at 6;30am?
Some of the folks at the front desk were very welcoming, others seemed like they were being bothered. Service at the Cafe was also a bit slow & our server seemed a bit unhappy, but the food was good. The casita was beautiful & spacious with a screened in porch our pups loved. Bathroom was large but I would have liked the soaps to be accessible from the tub (they are in dispensers high on the wall). Grounds are lovely! We actually thought at first that the bird-song had to be coming from speakers until we saw the singers for ourselves.

Room Tip: If you get a casita, choose one on the end to cut down chances of getting noisy neighbors.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Our second stay here at the pastoral Abiquiu Inn was at least as good as our first one, probably even better, defying the law of sequels. As the seasons progress, the ambiance of the Inn evolves, and the pleasure of the stay increases exponentially. The trees, the birds, the clouds, the meadow, plus the pillow-top bed, the tasty meals, the reasonable rates, and--most of all--the welcoming staff, all combine to make this a destination in and of itself. The restaurant alone is worth the drive up from Santa Fe. As a return trip is always the best review, let's just say we're really looking forward to our next foray.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben W, General Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, I will be certain to share them with our team.

I am the new General Manager, just moved in three weeks ago with my wife and truly enjoy sharing the experience with our customers and staff. My wife is an Executive Chef and will be adding to the already wonderful Cafe Abiquiu more Tapas & Wine Pairing events, Craft Beer Pairing events and special Innkeeper Dinners. In addition we are working on a recipes for Agave Wine Margaritas, Sangria and more to add variety and flair to our beverage options. I hope to meet you next time your out!

Ben
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The rooms here are very nice and the setting is beautiful. But for the prices they charge there should be better service and more amenities. After making a reservation and confirming that my room had a fridge (which I needed for medication) they put me in a room without a fridge. I did get them to move me but they weren't particularly gracious about it. It had to produce the email confirming the fridge and insist on not paying more. Then it turned out the hotel was at least half empty, so there was no reAson for them to make me feel like I was putting them out. That said, my new room was gorgeous and peaceful and the rest of my stay was lovely.

Room Tip: If you get one of the rooms in the buildings behind the restaurant, you get mountain views out the b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
I am glad you enjoyed your stay once you were settled in to the correct accommodation. I am sorry for the experience you had at our front desk and can assure you this is not a common experience for guests of the Abiquiu Inn. Please email me or call me directly at the Inn should you wish to return and I will ensure your reservation is handled appropriately. I would also be curious what additional amenities we could add to improve your experience. I can be reached at bwallace@abiquiuinn.com or 1-505-685-4378. Thank for staying with us!

Ben Wallace
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The room we had was toward the back of the property, and thus away from the traffic on the highway (which disappears at night). The room included a pleasant sitting area, and a nice view from a screened porch. The staff were superbly helpful. I give it four rather than five stars because it is quite expensive for a relatively remote location. If you are going to explore the area beyond Ghost Ranch (more than two nights) you might want to consider a base somewhere else. As a point to explore in the immediate area, it was great.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Abiquiu Inn is a charming inn right on Hwy 84...it's the best place between Santa Fe and Taos and enables you to visit not only those 'happening' spots - but as a base to enjoy the the numerous enchanting areas in the region (e.g., Georgia O'Keeffe's Abiquiu home, Plaza Blanca, Ghost Ranch. Echo Amphitheatre, Christ in the Desert Monastery, White Rock Overlook, Bandelier National Monument, Abiquiu Dam and Lake, etc.). There are no rooms in the main building, however, there is a fabulous gift shop that outshines typical hotel shops. Beautiful quality items as well as some clothing. All of the 'hotel' rooms are in casitas on the property. Our casita was perfect (yes, the floors are concrete so bring slippers, however, you can turn on the lovely kiva gas fireplace to take off the early morning chill). Touring around the local landscape can be exhausting (lots of walking in the high altitude) so it was always a treat to return to the Abiquiu Inn. We could sit outside the back of our casita and see Plaza Blanca in the distance or relax on the porch of the main building where we were mesmerized by the hummingbirds. We would crawl out of bed in the middle of the night to gaze at the stars. The property was very quiet at night and is well maintained (although the picnic tables are due to be replaced). An added bonus is the fabulous restaurant in the main building...your taste buds will thank you whether you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner (or all 3, as we usually did). This is not a '5-star' hotel in the typical world of hotel ratings, however, if you are willing to let go and just immerse yourself in the comfort, cleanliness, friendly staff, tranquility, and tasty food, you can have a '5-star' relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Have always stayed in a casita at the back of the property so noise from Hwy 84 has never been an is...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Abiquiu Inn? Share your experiences!