“Wonderfully quiet and quietly wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

The Abiquiu Inn
21120 Highway 84, PO Box 120, Abiquiu, NM 87510   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Abiquiu B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Wonderfully quiet and quietly wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Our second stay here at the pastoral Abiquiu Inn was at least as good as our first one, probably even better, defying the law of sequels. As the seasons progress, the ambiance of the Inn evolves, and the pleasure of the stay increases exponentially. The trees, the birds, the clouds, the meadow, plus the pillow-top bed, the tasty meals, the reasonable rates, and--most of all--the welcoming staff, all combine to make this a destination in and of itself. The restaurant alone is worth the drive up from Santa Fe. As a return trip is always the best review, let's just say we're really looking forward to our next foray.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben W, General Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, I will be certain to share them with our team.

I am the new General Manager, just moved in three weeks ago with my wife and truly enjoy sharing the experience with our customers and staff. My wife is an Executive Chef and will be adding to the already wonderful Cafe Abiquiu more Tapas & Wine Pairing events, Craft Beer Pairing events and special Innkeeper Dinners. In addition we are working on a recipes for Agave Wine Margaritas, Sangria and more to add variety and flair to our beverage options. I hope to meet you next time your out!

Ben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The rooms here are very nice and the setting is beautiful. But for the prices they charge there should be better service and more amenities. After making a reservation and confirming that my room had a fridge (which I needed for medication) they put me in a room without a fridge. I did get them to move me but they weren't particularly gracious about it. It had to produce the email confirming the fridge and insist on not paying more. Then it turned out the hotel was at least half empty, so there was no reAson for them to make me feel like I was putting them out. That said, my new room was gorgeous and peaceful and the rest of my stay was lovely.

Room Tip: If you get one of the rooms in the buildings behind the restaurant, you get mountain views out the b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
I am glad you enjoyed your stay once you were settled in to the correct accommodation. I am sorry for the experience you had at our front desk and can assure you this is not a common experience for guests of the Abiquiu Inn. Please email me or call me directly at the Inn should you wish to return and I will ensure your reservation is handled appropriately. I would also be curious what additional amenities we could add to improve your experience. I can be reached at bwallace@abiquiuinn.com or 1-505-685-4378. Thank for staying with us!

Ben Wallace
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The room we had was toward the back of the property, and thus away from the traffic on the highway (which disappears at night). The room included a pleasant sitting area, and a nice view from a screened porch. The staff were superbly helpful. I give it four rather than five stars because it is quite expensive for a relatively remote location. If you are going to explore the area beyond Ghost Ranch (more than two nights) you might want to consider a base somewhere else. As a point to explore in the immediate area, it was great.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Abiquiu Inn is a charming inn right on Hwy 84...it's the best place between Santa Fe and Taos and enables you to visit not only those 'happening' spots - but as a base to enjoy the the numerous enchanting areas in the region (e.g., Georgia O'Keeffe's Abiquiu home, Plaza Blanca, Ghost Ranch. Echo Amphitheatre, Christ in the Desert Monastery, White Rock Overlook, Bandelier National Monument, Abiquiu Dam and Lake, etc.). There are no rooms in the main building, however, there is a fabulous gift shop that outshines typical hotel shops. Beautiful quality items as well as some clothing. All of the 'hotel' rooms are in casitas on the property. Our casita was perfect (yes, the floors are concrete so bring slippers, however, you can turn on the lovely kiva gas fireplace to take off the early morning chill). Touring around the local landscape can be exhausting (lots of walking in the high altitude) so it was always a treat to return to the Abiquiu Inn. We could sit outside the back of our casita and see Plaza Blanca in the distance or relax on the porch of the main building where we were mesmerized by the hummingbirds. We would crawl out of bed in the middle of the night to gaze at the stars. The property was very quiet at night and is well maintained (although the picnic tables are due to be replaced). An added bonus is the fabulous restaurant in the main building...your taste buds will thank you whether you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner (or all 3, as we usually did). This is not a '5-star' hotel in the typical world of hotel ratings, however, if you are willing to let go and just immerse yourself in the comfort, cleanliness, friendly staff, tranquility, and tasty food, you can have a '5-star' relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Have always stayed in a casita at the back of the property so noise from Hwy 84 has never been an is...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Okay, no cell phone service but gosh, it's beautiful! Comfortable room, beautiful grounds, and a nice restaurant. Thick towels. Before breakfast, we watched cattle walk along, grazing a short distance away, as we sipped our coffee. A real treat. Turn off your cell phone and enjoy the moment!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We recently stayed at a casita at the Abiquiu Inn and enjoyed it very much. The Inn is located directly off a rural state highway, so there is some traffic noise when outside, but we heard nothing from inside the casita. The grounds are quite lovely. The casita itself was on the snug side, but had two queen bedrooms and a pull-out sofa bed in the living area, and a small kitchen with sink, fridge, microwave, and hot plate. Four of us slept there with bed space to spare. The casita's fixtures, decorations, and amenities were attractive and comfortable. And we did enjoy those complimentary biscochitos! The Inn is located close to several area attractions, including Ghost Ranch and Abiquiu Lake, both of which we visited during our trip. It also boasts an excellent restaurant on site, where we enjoyed a delicious, freshly made dinner. The only thing I could possibly complain about re: the Abiquiu Inn is the relatively high price of lodging there. However, I do understand the challenges of operating a clean, comfortable, beautiful establishment in a very rural area of New Mexico, and suspect that the high prices are simply a reflection of those challenges. On the whole, highly recommended.

Room Tip: The casitas are located at the back of the property; a little stream separates the property from a f...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Love, love, love Abiquiu and the Abiquiu Inn. Perfection...however I didn't get the plate of cookies others have mentioned. Maybe next time because I will be back for sure! I felt very much at home at the Inn and have told all my fellow Santa Fe lovers to enjoy Santa Fe but sure sure to drive on over and stay at the Abiquiu Inn.

• Stayed October 2013
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Your comments inspire us to continue to provide only the best in product and service. I'm sorry that we missed delivering you the biscochitos, our cookies are baked fresh daily and are quite a treat! We truly appreciate your time in sharing your review here on Tripadvisor and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Nathan LaPlante
Manager
nlaplante@abiquiuinn.com

Been to The Abiquiu Inn? Share your experiences!