“Georgia O'Keeffe would have slept here” 5 of 5 stars

21120 Highway 84, PO Box 120, Abiquiu, NM 87510   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Abiquiu B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Georgia O'Keeffe would have slept here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Abiquiu Inn, the only full-service lodging in tiny, sleepy Abiquiu (pop. 387) is a true treasure. Although we live in Santa Fe, just 50 miles south, the Abiquiu Inn seems far, and wonderfully, away. The handsome rooms are redolent with local flavor. The cafe cuisine is top-drawer. Yet, neither room nor board is as expensive as one would expect from Northern New Mexico, the beating heart of O'Keeffe Country. We relished the spacious and luxurious accommodations, and the soul-soothing bucolic setting. The astute managerial philosophy is either as laissez-faire or as hands-on as you prefer. This should say it all: We're going back next week!

Room Tip: February and March Madness rates are to die for. Prepaid breakfast vouchers are a real bargain. Pers...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Abiquiu Inn and sharing your experience with fellow travelers! Our inn's “soul-soothing bucolic setting” is part of the charm and idyllic lifestyle of Abiquiu. It also sounds like you were able to savor our chef's winter dishes as well. Your kind words will be shared with the rest of the team, as there’s no greater motivator then a job well done. It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and we cannot wait for your return next week!

nlaplante@abiquiuinn.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was traveling from Santa Fe and headed towards Abiquiu to check out the area! I was planning on checking out the Georgia O'Keefe Ranch 'The Ghost Ranch' but when I arrived in Abiquiu I wasn't sure where to go from there. Luckily there was The Abiquiu Inn on the road which I intended to drop in and ask how to get to the ranch.

With great intentions, I succeeded with my inquiry of directions towards the ranch and then some!

There is an amazing restaurant on the property where I had the best salad I have ever had (which means a lot to me because I only eat salads)!

The staff was great!! I think the names of the amazing people I met that worked the inn were Jamie and Nathan? So helpful! So kind!

The restaurant was reasonably priced as were the rooms!

I highly recommend this inn and the surrounding area that it's in!

Hopefully one day I'll be blessed enough to stay there with other people so they can enjoy the same experience I had just as a passerby!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your brief visit with us. We appreciate your compliments and are proud to hear things like “I had the best salad I have ever had." We are very lucky to have employees like Jamie who are continuously able to provide such a high level of service to our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back in the near future so you can experience all of enchantments of our property Once again, thank you very much for your kind words and time.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We (2 adults and the dog) stayed here for four nights between Christmas and New Year's. We were originally booked into Suite 7, but moved the next night to Casita 24. The hotel management couldn't have been nicer in handling our request for a room change - the issue with Suite 7 was a combination of no storage (chest of drawer furniture) and old carpet. Casita 24 was very nice; more private location on the property, nicely furnished. The beds were extremely comfortable. Water pressure in shower/tub was superb. The room is located on the backside of the property, looking out over farm/ranch land. All 3 of us were comfy in Suite 24.

The casita was a short walk to the Abiquiu Inn restaurant for meals - we ate breakfast and dinner here all four nights. The local dining options are very very limited.

Overall, a very nice stay at a reasonable price. Ideal spot for someone traveling with dogs; plenty of areas to let Fido romp off-leash.

I look forward to returning to the Abiquiu Inn.

Room Tip: The web page can be confusing; several options are offered and I suggest to call the property direct...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for providing us with the feedback from your recent stay at the Abiquiu Inn. Your comments assist us to better serve you in the future. With regard to our Plaza Blanca guest rooms (2-11), we are pleased to let you know they will be undergoing refurbishment to be completed in 2014 to include a chest of drawers and new carpeting. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to sample our rooms once they have been reimagined!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed on a quiet evening in January and booked the King room (there is just one). It was spacious and beautifully decorated. There is a separate sitting room with a gas fire and flat screen television. There's also access to a little courtyard shared with a couple of other rooms. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and well equipped. The Inn itself is, of course, perfectly situated for exploring O'Keefe country. There is a charming gift shop with some seriously gorgeous jewelry, clothing, gifts and art. They have a separate gallery upstairs too. The restaurant at the Inn is very good (see my separate review). The staff, whether front desk, waitstaff, maintenance or bussers are all friendly, knowledgable and helpful. Go! This place is a wonderful, hidden gem in one of the most beautiful places in the state.

Room Tip: All the rooms have privacy and are spaced widely enough apart that I don't think you would exper...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your generous and kind review of the Abiquiu Inn. As you mentioned, we are perfectly located in the heart of Georgia O'Keeffe Country close to Ghost Ranch, Christ of the Desert Monastery, and the village center with plenty to explore. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Cafe Abiquiu and wonderful gift shop. We hope you visit us again soon!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here just after Christmas 2013 for 6 nights. There were 4 of us in the group and three dogs! We stayed in two of the Red Mesa suites at the back of the inn, where we had lots of privacy and our dogs never bothered anyone.
The location was stunning and being at the back of the property meant peace and quiet, with a view of the mountains and no light pollution - the night skies are amazing!
Our rooms were very nice. Two queen beds, tv, ceiling fan, fridge and that wonderful fireplace. The decor was very nice. Also, a porch at the front and back of the rooms. There was plenty of space for everyone.
We were greeted with a plate of New Mexican cookies which was a pleasant surprise.
The staff were great and gave us lots of advice as to where to visit and where to take the dogs. In the case of the latter, we took them to the Plaza Blanca, which is a spectacular canyon about 15 minutes down a dirt road not far from the Inn. LOTS of space for the four legged and two legged to run around and explore. And Georgia O'Keefe's spectacular Ghost Ranch is only 15 miles away and they have hiking trails which are also dog-friendly.
Meals were taken at the attached cafe, which fortunately was very good and reasonably priced, even if the service was a tad slow on occasion.
My only suggestion would be to add microwaves in the rooms that do not have kitchenettes. Apart from the cafe, the only the other meal options out there would be at Bodes General Store, which did serve some basic food, but also had a frozen food section.
A very nice place to stay and would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: For longer stays, stay in the rooms with kitchenettes. The nearby general store sells some groceries...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking to time to share your enjoyment of the Inn with others. Room tips are always appreciated as we do have the flexibility to accommodate guests sensitive to noise or those needing the convenience of a kitchenette for longer stays. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to exceeding your expectations upon your return to Abiquiu and the Inn of course.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was a great stop on our vacation of New Mexico. I only wish we had stayed a day or two longer. This was the best overnight accommodations we had our NM entire trip (and we stayed at some nice places in Taos and Santa Fe).
The hotel is really top-notch and pays attention to those details other places do not.
Our room, #23, was a lovely room. We had the adobe style fireplace, tile floors, ceiling fans and welcome cookies waiting on a plate with a note. Very nice.
PROS:
The most comfortable beds we had anywhere in NM
Friendly and helpful staff upon check in and during our stay
spacious rooms, nice amenities, and fridge in the room
nicely themed/decorated
tv with more than the usual few stations to choose from
Very quiet rooms
everything in working order
CONS:
none really this really was the perfect hotel. Our room rate was excellent and everything was in order. I wouldn't change a thing quite frankly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed our property and I will be sure that we pass on your compliments to the staff. We take great pride in focusing on the details necessary to provide a great experience for all of our guests at Abiquiu Inn. The Red Mesa Suites are our newest addition and feature amazing Kiva fireplaces as the focal point! They are definitely popular rooms and a favorite of the staff here. Again we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back in Abiquiu very soon!

Hendersonville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I'm no hotel critic and no expert by any means, but I do travel way more often than I should. I've seen at least half of our vast nation, yet I've never felt more comfortable at any hotel in my travel experiences. I've been through New Mexico three times in the past 5 years and I go out of my way to stay here every time! It's not just the atmosphere, the cultural elegance of the interior design, friendly staff and delectable menu options that impress me - there is also a factor I can't quite put my finger on. When I stay here I feel refreshed by spiritual enlightenment, as if this particular location has enough positive energy to capture ALL the magic the Land of Enchantment has to offer. After all, Georgia O'Keefe did pick this spot as her artistic and spiritual refuge. America's most precious artist can't possibly be wrong! Nathan, keep up the great work and I look forward to my next stay in Abiquiu. If I ever have children, this hotel will be a family vacation destination for generations to come!

• Stayed July 2013
Nathan L, Manager at The Abiquiu Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of Abiquiu Inn! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests. We are truly grateful to have such magical and enchanting views of Northern New Mexico being located in the heart of Georgia O'Keeffe country. Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope that we have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Abiquiu Inn in the near future.

nlaplante@abiquiuinn.com

Been to The Abiquiu Inn? Share your experiences!