“Not so great compared to other resorts (didn't dive though)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Volivoli Beach

You added Volivoli Beach to your Saves list
Volivoli Beach
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Volivoli Road | P.O. Box 417, Rakiraki, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Not so great compared to other resorts (didn't dive though)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed 1 night with friends and to be honest, not so great. Volivoli is known for the diving, so maybe the diving is great enough for people to stay. We didn't dive, we fished, although the fishing was great the accommodation/resort not so crash hot. We stayed in a share type accommodation (separate rooms, but shared bathroom). My partner suffered from what he thinks was bed bugs, however I was ok. The room was ok, nothing special. Same goes for the bathroom. Can't comment on food as we ate what we caught. The kitchen did however cook our fish & it was really nice. Bar pricing was ok. Pool was nice. Staff were friendly & eager to please. Volivoli was a long drive to get to (from Suva) and to be honest not really worth the trip (again, might have been worth it for diving, not sure). Accommodation is pricey for what you get.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your fishing trip and the the fish that you caught for dinner.

Unfortunately you must have stayed in our lowest room category that is to be removed shortly however this lodge still offers a great option for the travelers on a budget.

You are the first person to comment that Volivoli is a long trip from Suva, A 2.5hours journey on what is not the best road in Fiji seems like a very easy trip to me.

Anyhow thank you very much for your review, I sincerely hope that we get the chance to show you what Volivoli really can offer you.

Nick Darling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is excellent, great pool, bar, beach, diving, hammocks, very friendly staff, beautiful location... was looking forward to staying a few nights. Great place to chill out. Had some good dives there, nice food. Internet was charged and difficult to connect, which was a disappointment. Taxi from Rakiraki is only 15 fiji dollars, so reasonable to get out there and worth the drive. The dorms looked beautiful and had lockers, but I didn't sleep a wink as I was bitten all night despite mozzie repellent and 2 coils. I left early covered in bites, which I was since told looked like bedbug bites. The other person in the dorm had none. Such a shame.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. As happy as I am that you enjoyed the pool, restaurant staff and location I apologize for your lack of sleep. There have been problems in the dorms in the past as a result of comunal living and very unfortunately dormitory accommodation often falls victim to bug and insects.

Volivoli Beach Resort is moving away from this dormitory accommodation in the coming months with the closure of our dorms. These rooms will be completely renovated resulting in expanding our inventory of airconditioned twin share accommodation with private ensuites.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to Volivoli in the future in some private accommodation where I can guarantee your sleep quality will be fantastic.

Sandwich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I originally wrote this review and e-mailed it to the agent who had arranged our trip just prior to our last day at Voli Voli. This was my second trip to Fiji, and Voli Voli was the sixth resort/dive operation I have had experience with there. I recorded my overall impressions for each aspect of the trip, the resort, and the diving

Arrival

Extremely easy, The van was waiting for us at the airport. Clean, newer vehicle, excellent condition. Really good first impression. The driver was excellent, polite, and acted as tour guide on the ride to the resort. Great start.

Check In

Extremely smooth as well. Rooms ready, easy effortless, very friendly, thorough, comfortable. Very helpful as well in getting us settled and orientated. Great lunch, too.

Room

Extremely clean/new. Very comfortable, everything works, Geat first impression. Two of everything accept shower and toilet, really well set up.

Grounds

Beautiful, well cared for and maintained, really nice feel. Wide lighted paths, easy to navigate around. The hill up to the room is a bit challenging, but necessary for the great view. Pool is new, clean, huge with a great swim-up bar.

Staff

Again, excellent. Polite, happy, accommodating. Everyone we have dealt with here is top notch.

Being on the "meal plan" my expectations where fairly low, and thought of continental breakfast and sandwiches at lunch. Wrong. Again, excellent, great (!) food! Really great food. Fresh, tasty, generous portions for all the meals, My only complaint may be that I've eaten too much. Excellent.

Dive Staff

Well skilled, good team, professional, competent. They wear new equipment (except some fins..but...) good briefings, great sight knowledge. Guides have a great sense of our diving, not intrusive, not constantly banging to show you a fish (a pet peeve for me), but knowledgeable have pointed out some awesome stuff. The boats are well staffed as well, with 3 or 4 crew even when it was just two of us diving.

Boats

Really comfortable boat, clean, new looking, with what appeared to be very new engines. Overall smooth operation, with great easy in/out, duel ladders. The cabin has a “head” (marine toilet) and the boat offers ample wind and sun protection. We were anchored next to a similar sized boat from another resort at the end of one dive, and watched the guests on the other boat, which offered no wind protection, obviously chilled, trying to wrap up in towels against a pretty decent cool breeze. We had the luxury of sitting forward comfortably behind the Plexiglas windows, warm and out of the breeze. Post dive we were offered a variety of snacks such as fresh fruit, cookies, or cake, hot chocolate to drink, and plenty of fresh water.

Rental Gear

I brought my own gear, but the gear I've seen used has looked clean and new. Also, never short filled on any tank I've used yet, always 3000 psi.

Diving

Nice variety of sights, amazing diving all around.

Cultural Experience

The village tour was a highlight with us, and they were flexible in scheduling as well to accommodate morning dives.

Trouble shooting

1) My AA battery charger died, meaning no strobe batteries! Jen in the office found me one to use that they had, and saved me trying to go to town and buy one.
2) Internet Hiccup. Jen came to the room and helped us get logged on.
3) We went out after diving, went to town, got distracted and where about to miss dinner. Jen found us, called, (we had stopped at the rakiraki hotel bar on the way back from Rakiraki town) and made sure we got orders in before the kitchen closed. Still not sure how she found us, but it was pretty awesome.

Bonus

Steve and his dad, who own Voli Voli are here at the resort, and we saw them every day. They are friendly, polite, engaging, people which adds to the feel of this being very much a warm and friendly place.

Problems?

The only issue in any way has been sporatic wireless connection in the room. Although the signal strength is there, and shows as “excellent”, it is hard to get a connection. I was able to eventually, or I would simply move to the dinning and pool area and connect there. I am certain it will not be a problem for long. Every other guest I spoke to had easy and reliable wifi. My roommate Colin was not a fan of the road leading from the main road to the resort. It is a bit rough, dirt, but not so bad, and what I would expect considering the location.

Over all this is an excellent resort and dive operation, and one I happily recommend.

Greg M.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your very detailed review of Volivoli Beach Resort. I think that your review captures exactly what Trip advisor is all about...Information.

Thank you for the great reviews on most areas and you are correct we are working on new hardware up around the Studio Vale's, Currently there a couple of rooms that as mentioned show great strength but are hard to connect to. This should all be taken care of as soon as we can get hold of the appropriate hardware to boost the connection.

I hope that we will see you back on your 3rd trip to Fiji.

Once again thank you for your review.

Nick Darling
Hi Geogia, I am heading to the Pearl in a couple of days..can you tell me why you were upgraded to the suite..I have booked a twin ocean view room..I do hope it is nice and the food is not to costly..Also, I am also friends with Mitch McKee, when I read your review, his name appeared saying your friends..thankyou..
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Volivoli is a hidden paradise, about 2.5hrs from Nadi airport drive, ensure you take a private taxi, cost $160fj. Myself & 2 daughters arrived for an event held at the resort in Nov and we were reluctant to leave.. The owners Steve & Gail, staff, Jenny, Soni, Sasha, Vulo, Va, Knox, Jesse, Henrietta, Geraldine & others are warm, friendly and ensure your stay is memorable.. We stayed in a Studio Vale, breathtaking views, the vale met all our needs, modern, clean, fresh, self contained kitchen, but I believe they will be dismantled to cater for another 2 beds.. The resort has a great selection of meals, costs $15 to $28fj..and cocktails are yummy.. No, tvs, radios, clocks or phones in rooms which I enjoyed..Wifi avail, $35fj 3 days..and computers avail.. Pool very clean and the beach near the diving hire was also terrific.... My daughters and I can only have positive reviews on this resort and if you are seeking pure relaxation, warm friendly fantastic staff, go to VOLIVOLI... Lifetime memories..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. Unfortunately I was away during your stay so I was unable to meet you. I am glad that all the crew took such good care of you.

Have a very happy and safe xmas and new year.

Casper, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Bula! It would be impossible to overstate how much we enjoyed our stay at Volivoli! The terrific hospitality, great food, scenic views and superb diving made this a treasured lifetime memory. Volivoli should be on every diver’s bucket list.

Room Tip: The Ocean View Vales are worth it! Volivoli's website has accurate videos of the resort and roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and I hope that we will see you again in the near future. Of course none of this would be possible without our wonderful staff so I will be sure to pass on your regards.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Volivoli resort delivered the perfect holiday- infinity views from our vale and 25-40metre vis on the dive sites---you could see forever. With 800 plus dives under my belt in some of the top
dive sites in the world ---I was blown away by the beauty of Volivoli- if Fiji is the soft coral capital of the world- Volivoli is GorgonianFan City I have never seem so many all so beautiful- combine this with pristine sites & warm crystal clear water it was heavenly.. I was very impressed & extremely grateful to Nick & the entire Ra Diving crew for 10 world class dives-
they are great hosts & passionate about diving allowing lovely long dives to showcase their underwater paradise. Everything at Volivoli is meticulously maintained ---and even the airfills tasted sweeter---only in Fiji. From the moment we were picked up at the airport we experienced the world famous Fijian hospitality I miss the beautiful sights, sounds and diving at Volivoli---but most of all I miss all the smiles. We arrived in Fiji feeling so tired and left feeling
so alive---- all thanks to the Volivoli staff. I have told all my friends divers and non divers to get to Volivoli as it ticks all the boxes -- some have already booked for 2013. Thank you all and
keep on enjoying paradise....Mary Simmonds Qld.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Vinaka Mary,

Thank you for your very kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort and Ra Divers.

I was an absolute pleasure to have you with us and diving every day. It is lovely when someone appreciates our reef system as much as you do and to have someone with so much experience feel this was is great.

We look forward to welcoming your friends next year so please make sure they make themselves known. I also look forward to your next visit.

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel was the third stay with my tour on FeeJee Experience. The dorm room was comfortable and well valued with 3 bunks and 6 beds with 2 bathrooms per unit. ThThe swim up pool bar was not staffed and not open at all - it would have been nice if it was. The staff was a little more inattentive than they have been at previous resorts but still friendly and provided good service on fiji time

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort.

I totally agree with you that the pool bar should be manned and our policy is to open it from 3pm daily. I will follow up why that was not the case during your stay.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Nick Darling

Been to Volivoli Beach? Share your experiences!