“thoughougly enjoyed it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rakiraki
Victoria
“thoughougly enjoyed it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

I feel compelled to add my story here as it seems there are some very dubious claims made on other reviews here.

Our stay with our 1yr old up in the Ocean View Villa was fantastic, perfect for our situation and we plan on saving to go back.
this Villa is so much better than anything on the other side of the island it beggars belief that someone would dare to say different.

the staff are beautify and accommodating and considering we spent more in a 1 night stay in Nadi before catching our plane, than 1 week at Safari Lodge I can't see how any reports of over pricing can be justified.

Still if you are looking for a Luxury 5 star resort then go elsewhere, this is a owner operated relaxing paradise that gets you lots of friends and company.

If like my husband you are into wind sports (windsurfing) then it is heaven (his words relate to it being better than S--).

we loved our trip there and the price was very reasonable for what we got back.

Looks like those bad reviews here are all about sour grapes on refunds which from experience back home in my occupation usually have 2 sides to the story.

We'll go back.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I've been reading the other comments and what i can say is that you won't go there if you're looking for hotel or resort facilities and intimacy but it is a FANTASTIC place if you enjoy a friendly open house atmosphere and wind sports: sharing lunch and diner together around a big table in the dining room or in the garden, chatting with other guests...etc
You were both kiting and this is a must there as the organisation is perfect and depends on the wind : morning and/or afternoon boat trip to the spot, lunch depending what time we come back, full boat support and tips...awesome.
We had a private room in the main house, feeling just like home, shared bathroom but not a problem at all (clean, access via our private terrace).
The location is very nice, with a long white sandy beach in front the Safari Lodge (not large though, depending on the tide)
About Warren, well...the guy has just been really nice and cool with us so we can make the best of our stay.
Nice and friendly staff, very good home style food (no menu but yummie selection everyday)

About Nananu-I-Ra, a very nice and quiet Island, good snorkelling and nice beach, and also close to the north of the main island where you can feel the day to day life in Fiji (not just resorts)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I arived at Safari Lodge the day after OZYDIVER left. I remember the staff talking about a family with two really small kids leaving the day before.....I stayed 5 nights in a private room and loved it! The beach was fantastic, the swimming nice, long island walks were relaxing.... The owners were away and the staff were absolutely fantastic, couldn't do anything more for my stay. Aseri and Emi were delightful,

My room was cleaned every day, the bathrooms were spotless, the tap water drinkable (rainwater). The generator went off beteen 10-11pm, then torches were provided in the room if you needed one (this is an island afterall!).

I'm planing to return in June with a bunch of friends for a relaxing week. The food was delicious and heaps of it, Fish, Chicken and vegetarian meals. I stayed up the top in the Mango Tree Villas which are new, only opened a few months ago, quiet peaceful.....little walk up the hill but the view was spectacular, right over the coconut trees....

My room only cost $110/night compared to $30 for a dorm bed (nice comfy inner sprung mattress). I took the meal plan for $45/day and liked the food...good value i thought....

I'll be back....it is a very special place...
Jerome Cone

• Liked — clean, comfortable, great price, location, location, location!!!
  • Disliked — leaving.......
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Hi everyone, stay away from this place, I came back with my family from Fiji with our holiday almost ruined. This place is a DUMP, dirty rooms, dirty toilets. I don’t know how the manager has license to sell this place. The price paid by a fake private ensuite room is out of mind, it is not a room, is a sauna with wild life inside and no bathroom. We stayed just one day and left next day ASAP, by lucky we got available rooms with a competitive rate in the Wananavu Resort which I highly recommend. The big surprise came later when Warren refused to refund our money. So don’t pay in advanced at all costs, even if you are brave enough.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Hi All, we had the same experience with the previous posts. This place is horrible. Dirty rooms, Dirty Toilets, Tonnes of mozzies. The island runs on generator, so everything shuts down by 10pm. When this happens, be prepared to be sweating the whole night through and going through pitch black environments. The price quoted was expensive, we could have easily stayed somewhere better and cleaner. Would highly recommend the resort on the mainland (e.g. Wananavu Resort ) instead of this dump. My advice is for the sake of your holiday, please avoid this place at all cost, don't be fooled by the Website or the nice painted description of the resort from the owner or manager, we only stayed one night and left early the next day due to it's bad conditions and environment. This place has potential, if only it was run well by honest and hardworking folks.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Leer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Safari Lodge has a nice website, so we decided to stay for 2 days. We had to secure our booking by credit card, which is not unusual in Fiji. We were greeted at the jetty and paid the full amount of money before we even saw the place. Normally we wouldn't do that, but there is nothing there at the jetty. The taxi already left and we didn't want to walk the 3km or so back to the main road. There are also no other boats. So we went to the island and had a look at the accommodation. What a dump! In the main house the rooms are don't have locks, so there is no privacy. The so called villa on the top of the hill was in the middle of a building site. The beach hut had no furniture except a bed and a moth eaten mosquito net. What a disappointment! At least the meals were OK, but not private. Bring lots of mosquito repellent as the mozzies are everywhere, even in the house!
Warren himself was not very friendly and didn't care about our complains. He said we were lucky to stay at his place, because it's the best hotel on the island. What a laugh!
There was a nice dutch couple working there. She was a windsurf instructor and he made promotion for the lodge over the internet, posting in forums how nice Safari Lodge is.
She told us how dangerous surfing over the reef was.
After two days we were very happy to leave the place and never to return.

• Liked — Nothing!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

my family and I have just had a wonderful week at the safari lodge. it is a fairly basic but perfectly comfortable place to stay. we stayed in the ocean view villa which we loved- amazing views from every room. The food was fantastic, the staff very friendly and helpful, the atmosphere relaxing. My husband and I went there to windsurf and it was perfect for us- our 2 young children were looked after while we were out on the water- they had a great time. Warren was a fantastic windsurfing instructor and my windsurfing has really improved- my husband got to try kitesurfing which he loved- we also swam, kayaked, went on a fishing trip,walked along the beach, explored mangroves and lounged in hammocks.
there is some construction happening as the place is a work in progress but it didnt disturb us even with kids having day sleeps.
we also enjoyed evening drinks with the other guests and morning yoga with steph.
The beach changes from day to day and during the day as the tide changes and at times as the tide is up high there is hardly any beach but the other side of the island is a 3 minute walk away and has a calm sandy beach.
If you are looking for luxory then this probably isnt the place for you but we loved it and are all missing it a lot. our only complaint would be that sometimes we had to wait a long time for lunch- cant really complain about the mosquitos- they are everywhere in fiji!
Favourite memory- lying in the huge hammocks on the verandah of our villa at night looking at the stars.

• Liked — liked everything
  • Disliked — waiting for lunch
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Safari Island Lodge? Share your experiences!