For a totally relaxing week in Fiji, we sourced Trip Advisor and after reading the reviews, we decided on Wananavu. As we are not divers, we discounted the reviews on this subject. We were interested in the small size and the isolation as we do not like to be numbers and we are used to staying on islands, but wanted the mainland this time and an area we had not visited before. Part of the joy of the resort is the silence- no cars, no telephones and of course no smog so that we could count the stars. the rain on the roof during a storm was quite startling!
On arrival, we were greeted like long-lost friendseven though it was our first visit and within about an hour, it seemed that all of the staff knew our names. Even though we arrived at about 3pm, we were still able to order lunch, which was the first of a whole week of fabulous meals. Our arrival day was also our wedding anniversary and the meal we ate in front of our bure that night was all the more amazing because we were in the beach front honeymoone bure, furthest from the restaurant. The staff laid the table beautifully and we had a very romantic evening.
The bure was well-appointed and spacious, the only drawback being the fence around the plunge pool which meant that the water was quite cool even though the weather was warm during summer it would be perfect. Half way through the week we asked to see one of the ocean view bures and moved into it for the second half of the week. this gave us the most fabulous views of the sunsets and also the surrounding land and ocean., and the pool was warmer, too. When we return this is the bure we will choose.
The staff could not have been more attentive and quickly knew our preferences. Security at the resort is unobtrusive but efficient, housekeeping is a team effort and the ladies are friendly (IF you see them), bar staff(Andy & Tiki )and wait staff and are very friendly with being extremely attentive and ready to have a chat or leave you alone, the team at front office are informative and full of fun (Mele's laugh is infectious). In order to name all the staff, I would take up another page, so I hope that anyone who reads this will go to Wananavu and meet all of them. Please Ben don't let any of them leave.
We chose to only do a couple of activities, but these were well-planned and next time will do more. My husband was very pleased to catch fish, which the chef cooked for our dinner, yum. We took local taxi into Rakiraki a couple of times,making a joke of the bumpy ride on the 4km of "road" closest to the resort. Probably the road should be sealed but it only adds to the charm of the resort as you know when you hit it that you are close to a truly wonderful destination.
We have already made a tentative booking to return and I can't wait to get there.Ben who is the General manager whose wife had just had a baby in Australia leds the team very well leaving it to the locals to look after you the main man is Beato (who calls everybody by name and also My friend is a person that just makes it happen). To every single team member at this resort our thanks for a great time and I look forward to getting a ice cold Vonu (beer) when we check in again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The real Fiji! Perfect for romance; fabulous for diving excellent for culture. 34 deluxe bures nestled along the beach and amongst tropical gardens. A real island experience with mainland convenience. Only just over 2 hours from Nadi International Airport. Great food, fantastic staff, unparalleled views, world class diving & snorkeling; amazing village tours and a perfect wedding venue. This is a true Fijian experience and is, as the name suggests, Wananavu! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Wananavu Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wananavu Beach Hotel Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Resort Fiji/Rakiraki