“Return Visit just as lovely second time around” 5 of 5 stars

Wananavu Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Volvoli Rd, Rakiraki, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rakiraki
SYDNEY
“Return Visit just as lovely second time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you are looking for a low key resort run by Fijians who are the warmest most genuine people you will ever meet then look no furthere than Wananavu. This place is perfect if you are a family who doesn't like crowds, kids clubs or shopping. A beautiful pool, great snorkelling, hikes in the mountains, off shore island and boat adventures and a terrific resturant that caters better than most for the kids. We love this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at Wananavu in March 2012 and I've been meaning to write the review since!

I loved this place. The staff are fantastic (the wonderful Ma) and you really feel like part of the family.

We stayed in a villa with a private plunge pool and highly recommend it. The bedding, furniture and was beautiful. Don't go expecting super high--end luxury. It's basic luxury (if you get what I mean!).

Food was great and the kitchen prepared our fish for us after a great day trolling.

Snorkeling and kyacking were also a lot of fun - you can step off the pier at the resort and you're right in the middle of a pretty reef.

Keep in mind that the resort is fairly isolated. We spent four nights there and felt that was enough to relax and not to get cabin fever. It's a good 3 hours from the airport, so those with long flights may want to keep that in mind.

All-in-all, a great experience and highly recommended. I'd love to give it 4.5 stars but that's not possible. I don't give out 5 stars easily but Wananavu is better than 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our incredible week at Wananavu, where we were lucky enough to have the resort booked exclusively for our wedding and our 40+ guests. The customer service was second to none - every employee of the resort always greeted us with a smile and a great big BULA and all my friends and family commented throughout the week about how much they loved the holiday. The managers Ben and Rachel, along with their wedding coordinator Keleni, made sure our wedding was perfect and no request was too difficult. They were even able to cater for our quirky request of a 1920's theme and made a photo booth background for us! A special thank you to Ma and Taniela, and all the staff in the restaurant and bar, as well as the ladies in the spa who truly are relaxation angels! The entertainment was PHENOMENAL with fireworks, fire dancers, Fijian warriors, traditional singing and dancing, as well as fishing, snorkelling and diving in crystal clear waters. I miss Wananavu already, and highly recommend it for anyone looking for the real Fiji experience. Just magical.

Room Tip: Splurge and get a honeymoon bure with private plunge pool!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at Wananavu Beach Resort, Viti Levu, Fiji for 9 nights. We have been scuba diving for 20 years, and have dived all over the world. This trip was the best combination of resort, diving, and dive shop, which all combined to make a fantastic vacation experience. We arrived at the resort after a somewhat bumpy 3 hour ride for the airport (we knew to expect this). The resort is beautiful, lush, green, very tropical, well maintained. Ben and Rachel, the managers, have established a high standard for service, and it shows. The Fijan staff all knew our name after the first day. The service was always good, although some of the staff were obviously more experienced than others. We stayed in a beach front bure which looked out at the water. The AC worked really well, and the shower made you feel you were in a tropical garden. It is a bit of a walk up to the restaurant terrace, but worth the walk. It was easy access to the dive shop, however. The meals were always worth the walk. They had two buffets, one a Fijan buffet and the other Mongolian barbecue. The rest of the nights you ordered off the menu. There were many diverse choices, and we enjoyed all our meals there. When in doubt, get a pizza. Rachel has taught the staff how to make it, and they were always good. As divers, we did now always finish in time for lunch, but it did not matter. We were served whenever we got there. We enjoyed visiting with Ben and Rachel when we were up for our meals, and were lucky to have them dive while we were there. They are very hands on managers, and have an excellent relationship with all the staff. The resort is spotless, beach swept daily, lovely pool with umbrellas, and hammocks and chairs at the beach. Many guests coming to the resort on non-diving, so there are many other activities offered (for an additional fee), and a lovely spa on site.

The dive shop was one of my favorites because of the incredible level of service we received. Vicki and Chris had only been there a week, but you would not have known that if they had not told you. The gear was collected on arrival, loaded on the boat, rinsed daily, and completely rinsed and hung out to dry the last day. All I had to do was get into my gear and into the water. I took it off in the water and passed it up, so I only had to get myself on the boat. We dove with Chris, Vicki, and Josh, but we were on the boat with all of the crew, and everyone pitched in and helped. I always felt looked after in the water, so I could focus on looking at the spectacular color underwater. You will not find a more friendly, accommodating, helpful dive operation anywhere. They also have nitrox, which had just happened when we arrived.

The diving was nothing short of fantastic. We were lucky, and got out into the Vatu-I-ra passage five of our six diving days. The diving at Sailstone Reef is closer, and I saw very interesting things there too, but the visibility is not usually as good. The colors underwater are incredible, and the soft coral must be seen to be believed. We also saw our share of small sharks, a turtle, a couple of rays, and lots of colorful fish, but the soft coral is what makes diving on Fiji special. Check out Dive Wananavu on Facebook to see some of Chris' pictures. He was very helpful to me as a basic point and shoot photographer. Water was a little cooler than I expected (79 degrees in late October). The dive boat is comfortable as long as there are not too many people on it. Two days we had 14 divers, the max it could accomodate, and it was too many to be comfortable. With 8 or 9 divers it is a great boat. A new boat had been ordered, but had not arrived, which will probably solve this problem. Bring what you need, because the dive shop is equipped with good new rental equipment, but not much to buy if you forget something or would like to add another layer. I would have bought a hooded vest.

The best thing about Wananavu is that we left feeling like we were part of the Wananavu family. Thank you Rachel and Ben, all the resort staff, Chris and Vicki and all the dive staff (josh, pictures are coming). We are definitely planning a return visit next year - and it is a LONG way to travel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beach front bure, and would again. Read some complaints about noise from the attache...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Goulburn, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I would like to thank Joe and Juanita for asking us to attend their son's wedding at the Wananavu resort in Fiji . It was the most amazing experience thanks to the people in the wedding party and the genuine caring staff at Wananavu . I recommend anyone who is looking for a relaxing spiritual experience to go to Wananavu resort .
Regards Kathy and Grahame Hogan

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Goulburn, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I were among 30 or so other guests recently who stayed at Wananavu for a wedding.

We had a fantastic time. As there were 30 in our wedding party we always filled up the activity buses and had some great times experiencing the local culture and village tours.

The staff are just beautiful. Nothing is too hard.. they knew all 30 of our names on day 1. They went above and beyond to ensure we were having the time of our life. Which we did..

Ve Naka Wananavu

Room Tip: We stayed in the beach front bure - central to the activity side of Wananavu
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Thank you to the resort managers Rachel & Ben, Victoria at Dive Wananavu and all the Wananavu staff for a wonderful week over Anna & Luke Gray's wedding. My background is in event management, PR and marketing. It was great to be able to observe the hospitality and most importantly the management involved. I understand the complexities of the back of house management in order for this to occur. Particularly the management of another culture and the emotional intelligence applied is a credit to the team. I highly recommend to both regular travellers and for those also looking for their first travel experience.

For those interested in Scuba Diving, Vicky and Marc Vermill have the expertise, the patience and the ability to show you some underwater life that I found breath taking. For those that are not interested, seriously reconsider and give it a go. I completed my open water diving certificate thanks to Vicky and can't wait to dive again.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Beach Front rooms.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wananavu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!