Spent 5 nights in late October. Our first to this resort. We were picked up from our Nadi hotel by a mini van, rather cramped but fortunately only 4 of us in it so could sort of spread out. The trip up to Wananavu took about 3 hours. What an interesting trip.. The road was shocking in parts but repairs are being undertaken. To the north animals were grazing along the road and didn't want to move to let us pass.
Between Lautoka and Ba it is very lush with a lot of cane fields.
From Ba to Tavua the vegetation on the hills becomes less and after Tavua the hills are bald and the sugar cane gives way to cattle and goat grazing, the scenery from Tavua to RakiRaki is amazing with the most picture perfect views to the many offshore islands set in aquamarine sea.
We passed through many villages along the way where happy smiling faces waved to us. It is so very different to the southern part of Fiji, very rural and quiet.
We turn off the main road onto a rough side road which winds up a hill to Wananavu and the view is WOW!!
We are warmly greeted and given a welcome drink before being taken to our bure. This is a duplex and good use is made of the space as it is not large there is a balcony out front with table and chairs and that amazing view across to Nananu- i- ra island. Thought a sunlounge on the deck would have been nice as the chairs were hard and not good to relax on. The common wall between the adjoining bures was thin and our neighbours were noisy.
We arrived in time for lunch and the food was very good and for every meal thereafter . The dining deck area is fantastic with extensive views over the water to the islands. The staff simply wonderful nothing was too much trouble. The day spa wow, kept you going back for more pampering. Lovely pool where we spent most of our time as swimming off the beach was not to good. We did discover that if you walked around to the far side of the marina breakwater and out to the point there are steps down to the water and a pretty coral reef to snorkel but it too is tide dependent.
We went on the beach picnic to Nananu i ra island and really enjoyed snorkeling the reef with an abundance of soft coral and some hard coral I had never seen before. We were suprised at how nice Bethams and Macdonalds cottages were and right on the beach very different to photos. We walked across to the long white beach on the other side of the island, only a few minutes walk, it was very windy but we had a quick dip anyway. Hubby went diving and was impressed, very good dive sites lots to see. The onsite PADI operation is well run and they use nitrox so was good that he had bothered to take the nitrox course a few years ago.
Wananavu is a clean, well run resort, with great food, nice boutique, wonderful day spa and the most friendly helpful staff. The location fantastic.The Meke was great fun!
I would have liked a sunlounge on the bure deck, and been able to swim in the ocean and maybe more soundproofed walls in the bure and you do have to pay for your excursions but even with these negatives it is still an excellent property. For us it was about as big as we are comfortable with.
Thank you to all who made our stay so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The real Fiji! Perfect for romance; fabulous for diving excellent for culture. 34 deluxe bures nestled along the beach and amongst tropical gardens. A real island experience with mainland convenience. Only just over 2 hours from Nadi International Airport. Great food, fantastic staff, unparalleled views, world class diving & snorkeling; amazing village tours and a perfect wedding venue. This is a true Fijian experience and is, as the name suggests, Wananavu! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Wananavu Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wananavu Beach Hotel Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Resort Fiji/Rakiraki