“A second visit....will it be as good? No - Better!!” 5 of 5 stars

Wananavu Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Volvoli Rd, Rakiraki, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Rakiraki
Sydney, Australia
“A second visit....will it be as good? No - Better!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

When you've had a fantastic experience at a resort - see my previous review of Wananavu - you always wonder if the next visit will be as good.

While driving up from Suva on the Thursday before Easter this year that is exactly what was running through my mind.

More of the bad road has been tarred but there is still enough "bad" road to make the trip memorable. Stunning scenery and it was really interesting to see how high the floods had come up from the now very sedate river. I should point out the road only re-opened the day before I travelled up after being closed for more than a week.

On arrival I received a fantastic reception. Meriame (oops spelling?) immediately said Hello John as I walked in. I put this down to the fact that we'd corresponded in relation to my booking.

After taking my bags to my bure (I'd been upgraded to a beachfront Bure - thanks Ben and Rache,) I was sitting having a beer on the deck overlooking the beautiful bay. A staff member came on duty and walked behind me. I turned around to see who it was. Ma not only recognised me but remembered my name and even when I'd been at the resort. Given I'd only been there for 3 nights, 6 months before I thought this was fantastic.

That happened 4 or 5 times more during the course of that day and the next. You could see by the look on the faces greeting me that this wasn't the result of a briefing or planned event.

As for the resort - beautifully maintained, excellent food, even better service.

Experienced my first dive which was great although the water was still a bit murky after the recent floods. Out in Bligh's Passage this apparently wasn't an issue.

I was there on my own and at each mealtime I was invited to join other guests (who I had not met before that weekend) or else was invited to join Ben and Rache and their guests. I begged off at some breakfasts and lunches as all I wanted to do was read my book and enjoy the scenery!!

I also saw the villa which forms part of the resort when I took some photos for a wedding party who didn't have a photographer. For a family group of a few couples / friends travelling together this is a fantastic option. Unbelievable facilities, great pool and views you just can't believe, with all the facilities of the resort just a short walk down the hill.

Will I go back to Wananavu - Definitely - just not soon enough.

Would I recommend it to friends and family - without question.

In conclusion we were having a beer one evening before dinner. I was chatting to some of the people I'd met at the resort. A group had just arrived for the wedding referred to above. There were about 8 or 10 of them. They were enjoying cocktails when they were invited to take part in a Kava ceremony. They were not that keen until one of the fantastic staff started calling them up one by one by name. One of the guys commented "We've only just arrived - how does she know all our names?"

The answer is easy - you're at Wananavu!!

Room Tip: All bures are great. The ones with an ocean view are awesome. Check out the website!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Well what can I say, Wananavu as a place was so beautiful and amazing and the staff were even better!!!! the views, the clearness of the water, the lush gardens and grounds made it perfect for lazing around on the hammock or by the pool. When we weren't relaxing we were snorkelling, kayaking, playing tennis & swimming ( all free too) we also experienced diving with Jeremy and kristin. i was so afraid and panicked but they were so patient with me and calm and reassuring and by the end of it i didnt want to get out of the water. it was my first time diving and my husband has dived all over the world and he said this is on of the best. the boats for diving are awesome as well. the food so fresh and filling, be prepared to put on a few kilos though, i suggest to get the meal plan, it made it so easy not to think about food. the staff .... well they made our trip. a few staff members i can remember are Voulo ( she remembers every single persons name), Asena from the spa does the most amazing massage ever ( and im a massage therapist) all of the staff members were beautiful and friendly. we loved the fijian band especially Solo, so friendly and warm with a beautiful smile and big heart. he wont be forgotten. trips we recommend are diving of course, the village & waterfall tour to narama village, island tours and snorkelling trips.

we were there for our friends wedding and if i wasn't already married i would defiantly want to get married hear, the attention to detail by rachel (manager) and staff was second to none. they made everything perfect for my friends wedding, including fireworks at cutting of the cake, wild horses in the back ground for photos, fire dancers, bomb fires etc etc

we stayed in honeymoon bure 25, it was lovely but no real ocean view i suggest to stay in 23, 24 or the beachfront bure 50. all of the beachfront bures are beautiful too.

overall i loved wananavu and would defiantly love to come back and stay for a lot longer, please ensure all the staff know how much we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: beachfront bures are beautiful if you want something that bit more special go for either the beachfr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just back from spending a week at Wananavu, and I can understand why over 90% of reviews are either very good or excellent.

Everything was wonderful - food, location, facilities, accommodation, views, service - but without doubt the standout performers are the staff, they are just fabulous. Every one of them works very, very hard at making you feel very, very special and their friendliness and their interaction with their guests was the highlight of our stay.

I know Ben reads these reviews, so please pass on a special thank you to Jeremy for looking after me in my hour(s) of need! I never did manage to buy him the cocktail that I promised - maybe next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mackay Austra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at this beautiful resort for our honeymoon. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful grounds and accommodation of the resort. On arrival after the trip from the airport (yes it is a bit of a drive, however the drivers are more than happy to answer any questions you have along the way and point out interesting landmarks/stalls etc). We were warmly greated which is lovely after having travelled most of the day. We stayed in the beachfront honeymoon bure and it was spectacular!! Private plunge pool, huge king size bed, twin sinks, a shower with a glass wall looking out to the outdoor shower which is private and runs both hot and cold taps. Very spacious. As we arrived in the dark when we woke the next morning we were greated by sunshine and the calm clear waters of Fiji. As everyone has mentioned in other reviews the staff take particular effort to learn your names from arrival... which really does make you feel welcome. My highlight was the beach picnic, the only down side to this was my husband and I should have ordered two bottles of wine not just the one. The beach had shade, the water crystal clear..... just beautiful and we didn't see another sole for the three or so hours we were there. We also visited the spa and we were looked after very well. Both Matt and I received as part of our package a 2 hour treatment which to my surprise consisted of a great deal more than I was expecting. The beautcian also attemped to fix my french polish on a nail that I had broken which I thought was just lovely. We did go with the meal plan, we didn't go for all the courses on offer each meal time, however it was nice to know we had the choice and not having to worry about how much we were racking up in food charges was a real bonus for me. There was always a seperate menu that changed daily along with the normal menu they offer daily. We were never left thinking there is nothing I feel like and each dish was really good. In particular the fish in coconut milk wraped in a leaf of some description on our last night was delish!! Please note that if you are a foodie you may be disappointed but in my opinion I was very satisfied with the choices and quality of food we were served. We were also treated to a private balcony dinner as part of our package and it was lovely to have a private meal with my new husband in such a beautiful setting. They set the table up with a candle and made it look lovely and romantic. As our goal on our honeymoon was to relax and soak up some sun we didn't participate in any day trips however other guests that we spoke with were very impressed, in particular the scuba diving was raved about all around us. Wananvu's special farewell was also something that I will remember for a long time... very sweet. Thank you to all the staff of Wananvu for making our honeymoon all that it was.....

vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We just came back from a 2 week trip to Fiji and while we stayed at a villa near this resort (dreamview villas), we had such a great experience dining and enjoying the facilities at this resort, I felt compelled to write about our experience. From the first greeting until the last goodbye, we were made to feel extremely welcome by the staff at this resort. Having just arrived from a stay at Lomani Island Resort, where we found the food pretty disappointing, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at this resort. In 7 days of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at this resort, we did not have 1 bad meal. The service was also excellent, with nightly Fijian music provided and a dining experience that can only be described as like eating in a tree house with ocean views! The resort was also extremely well maintained and clean, with beautiful lush, tropical gardens and a lovely jungle like pool with waterfall. The pool had a lot of shaded areas and was very peaceful and private...although we were there in their lower season, so I could see that the pool might be a bit crowded when the resort was at full capacity. There is really little beach associated with the resort, more like a man made beachy area...but the setting is still lovely and the water activities they have available were varied and well run ( ie. amazing snorkelling and diving in this part of Fiji...the best we have experienced in our travels). The prices for food and drink were not cheap, but we're good value for what you got ( ie. cocktails were about 12 dollars canadian and dinner for 2 with a glass of wine would run you around 100 Canadian). There is also a happy hour for cocktails so they are only around 7 dollars canadian from 5:30-6:30 every day. We had a great experience with this resort, even accounting for the 3 hour drive on some rough roads from Nadi (hopefully this will improve with the government currently working to to reseal the highway to the resort...although work moves at a slower Fijian pace!). I would highly recommend this resort for those looking for a truer Fijian experience than the "north Americanized" experience offered by the chain hotels on Denarau Island. It was beautiful, the staff were first rate, food was excellent and so was the service. Management deserves kudos for making this "slice of paradise" for travelers to enjoy. Vinaka Wawanavu!!

Room Tip: We did not stay here, so can't comment on the rooms, but the honeymoon buries with private plung...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
wananavu2010, General Manager at Wananavu Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you Jane for your comments. We would love you to come & stay with us next time you are in Fiji so you can experience the total WOW of wananavu!
We do strive to keep the standard of food on offer at a consistently high level and will be looking to add some variations over the next couple of months.
The road is being worked on as we speak!!
Many thanks once again for sharing our little slice of paradise!
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

They call it 'The Real Fiji" and I can see why.
We were there in April for my Sisters wedding and I was totally blown away with just how wonderful the staff and the place was.
From the moment we got there (Very large group), the staff had all memorised our names and made us feel so welcome.
The Fijians are the warmest most friendly people I have ever met.
The resort was absolutely beautiful with gardens and beaches that were meticulously maintained.
The food was very good, the cocktails were not expensive.
We really felt like part of the family when we were there. I can't understand a single person writing anything bad about this place, as there is nothing I could think of to write negatively.
10/10 we miss you already!
Shakir

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. Garden view Bure's are cheaper but still as nice. Beach view Bure's...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Shakir, Thanks so much for your feedback. We had a truly wonderful time sharing the celebrations for Alex & Charlie's wedding - a great week and a beautiful wedding day. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff.
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We have travelled around Fiji and a large parts of the Asia-Pacific. We were very disappointed with Wananavu. The rooms are dated and over-priced. The beach is average. Rakiraki is an amazing area and the staff were helpful, but our view is that there are better options available in the immediate vicinity. We are surprised by the number of positive reviews of this resort and would suggest that you keep looking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wananavu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!