“The best relaxing holiday you can have” 5 of 5 stars

Wananavu Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Volvoli Rd, Rakiraki, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rakiraki
Melbourne
“The best relaxing holiday you can have”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Over the last years we have stayed at Wananavu Beach Resort a number of times if you look back you will see my reports before. I cannot say enough about the resort yes we had a welcome from the team as if we had been long lost members of the family. The bure we stayed in had a a pool which we really like. The food is brilliant although I understand there is a new chef but with Ben And Rachael ( who run the resort ) overseeing every detail I am sure the standard is good.
We had the chance to get out and spend a day on another island about a 20 minute boat ride with the resort providing a hamper of food and beer and wine to order what a day, you should remember that the sun up in fiji BURNS as I found out, but the resort quickly came to my aid with a wonderful cream that fixed the problem.During our stay we had a mix of divers,honeymooners from Ireland,a couple of familys and a good mix . During the day you hardly see anyone only at meals times which in itself is a good gathering time.Also the cultural talks down by the marina fantastic.
The staff from management to everyone go out of their way to help sure we had been before but a young couple of girls who hired a scooter in Nadi had a accident getting to the resort well the resort just wrapped them up in cotton wool so to speak taking them to the hostipal checking on them my wife who is a senior Director of Nursing was roped in to help checking on dressings my wife didn't mind, but it shows that this place cares about the guests well being try and see that at the big hotels near Nadi.
Sadly I will not be reporting on this resort again even though we are going back in March 2012 as I feel that it will start to look like a paid commercial which it is not.
To Ben and Rachel and team many thanks.
PS make sure that you meet BEATO who is the manager he is a great bloke who makes sure whatever you want happens, he is everywhere thanks Mate

Room Tip: Try and get a private pool room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Yadra,
If you want the most relaxing holiday you can imagine, this is the place to go. Totally chill out, which is what we need to recharge our over-extended batteries. Despite the long journey from the airport,the trip is worth the wait and the last bumpy bit is now expected after all the comments so should be no problem.
Staff are amazing and their skills with people of all ages and nationalities are to be commended. Nothing is too much trouble, even to ordering Rosiloa CDs for me to purchase at the shop- this is THE most amazing group of fijian singers and should be.noted world wide. Also the group who play every day at lunch and dinner are very entertaining. The spa staff make a point of talking to everyone even those without bookings.
Our bure, up on the hill, with pool, had the most amazing views of Bligh waters and the sunsets were fantastic. My only question is why have an inside shower at all? Food- brilliant, thanks to all the chefs, particularly for my birthday breakfast of a whole lobster, but also particularly for the soups- we love them. Wish we could get the recipes.
We have been in many resorts around the south pacific and also on a number of small and large cruises and nowhere has there been the sense of cameraderie (or the ability of guests to rearrange the tables to make huge tables of people who wanted to eat, drink, laugh and sing together) anywhere that we have been. Guests from all over the world, including the Irish couple recently mentioned, a Finnish couple, an American couple, a south African guy(from /
Sydney) and others just had the most amazing time.
This was our 3rd time at Wananavu in less than18 months and I celebrated a major birthday this time and I just can't wait to go back.
Please go into Rakiraki when you visit - the locals are very friendly but don't see very many tourists so your dollars can make a difference. The market is small but the produce is fresh and of a great variety. No-one objects to photos being taken.
Thank you to Rachel, Ben and every member of staff-it would take another page to name you all, so please know that we love you all.

Room Tip: The bures with plunge pool are to die for
Magden, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011 via mobile

I did enjoy my short stay at this wonderful place. I stayed in one of the houses right on the beach with an incredible view. The staff are unusually motivated and know your name after half a day! The trip to a village (bamboo rafting). Was the best I have seen on all pacific islands I visited. BUT the prices are beyond reason.

• Stayed November 2011
wananavu2010, General Manager at Wananavu Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind comments. The staff are definitely our special asset.
I am sorry that you feel the prices are beyond reason. You were charged at a local rate and given a complimentary upgrade to a Beach Front Bure. Your dinner each night cost F$18 or just over AUD$10 for an a la carte menu in a 4 star resort. We do try to keep our charges as competitive as possible but our operating costs are very high.
Again thank you for your time in posting this review and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We went to Wananavu for our Honeymoon. We had the most amazing time of our lives. All
the staff were absolutely amazing and helpful. The room was great totally recommend the Honeymoon Bure. We enjoyed Cocktails on the deck and a private balcony dinner (food was amzaing) as well as plenty of other activities that are avliable. Everyone should stay at Wananavu because it is the best.

Room Tip: Choos the Honeymoon Bure
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It was a pleasure having you both here. Do come back for your anniversary!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I keep recommending this wonderful place to friends who want a relaxing, friendly place to stay and can't believe I actually hadn't written a review before now! My husband and two children (now grownup young ladies!) first went to Wananavu approximately 6 years ago. It's a long drive but the 3 hours flies by with people to wave at along the way and beautiful scenery. I just love coming over that final hill. It is as if you are home. You feel a million miles from nowhere and can leave all your cares back on the main road! There is no kids club - just snorkelling, diving, tennis beach picnics, a pool, walks, great rooms and fantastic staff. The husband and I found we were at a loose end over the new year period 2010/2011 so I booked us in for a couples vacation. He dived, I snorkelled and met new people on beach picnics, in the lagoon and by the pool and bar. We had booked a beachfront bure and then upgraded to the honeymoon bure, which was the BEST thing! Picture a moonlight night, a beautiful pool and a warm plunge pool - great for romance. Staff remembered us from our previous visit. Food is relatively simple but well cooked, wine list reasonable and I just love everything about the place. Last time we were there I think they were just thinking about putting a new dive operation in place. Reading other reviews, it sounds like this has been a successful thing to do and much needed...... It may be another few years before we get back there again, but in the meantime just thinking about the place makes me relax!

Room Tip: Beachfront bure is lovely if you want a view of the lagoon but if you can afford it go for the honey...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I'll start by saying we've spent years in Fiji so when we decided to have a look up North, we weren't expecting much difference. What a lovely surprise Wananavu was! The welcome was warm after a long drive, the staff really made a great effort to make us feel at home from the start. Whilst the resort is a little dated in parts, the setting and the incredible lengths to which the managers have gone to make sure that everything is in perfect order set it apart.
The dining area is set high above the trees, overlooking the picture-perfect by and islands, scarlet bougainvillea abounds, the air is scented by the table settings of frangipani. Sounds like heaven? It could be... Beaches are swept, gardens are tidy. Little or no mosquitoes. Spa massage was lovely (although it's very cold in there!) and the boutique is well stocked by friendly staff.
To give you another insight into why we will be back to Wananavu, my son left his cheap, plastic Crocs by the pool. We had only stayed one night there but some days later, my mother rang (she lives in Fiji) to say that someone from Wananavu had been coming to Pacific Harbour (where she lives) and delivered my son's shoes to her! That is amazing service in anyone's country!!
So.. the food (seafood) was plentiful, well prices and delicious. Beaches beautiful, pool clean and lots of fun for the kids and there was loads of other things to do besides. As we were only stopping over for a night i can't give you more, suffice to say we will be going again, and we will be recommending our friends give it a visit.
It would be a great FIRST choice for a honeymoon... i wish i'd known about it earlier (say, 7 years earlier!)
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: As it's on the side of a hill, if you want to live by the pool, ask for a room nearby. Similarl...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Our honeymoon destination, Wananavu was everything we had hoped for…and wow… so much more. The moment you walk through the doors, you’re showered with smiles and welcomes. Knowing you’ve been on a plane all night, the staff (who become fast friends) waste no time to whisk you off to a lovely breakfast with fresh-squeezed juice, home-baked breads, fruits and breakfast entrees I’d stand in line for here in the states (French toast with coconut mashed in the butter – um, yes).

The resort is gorgeous, and perfectly sized for honeymooners who seek a great balance of quiet and relaxation with a great evening happy hour atmosphere and a chance to meet some fun and interesting people – including the GMs Rach & Ben who live for perfecting every detail to make your stay memorable and even more importantly, make you want to come back.

The beach bures are amazing – if you’re honeymooning, spring for the honeymoon bure! You’ll find a private outdoor shower and a personal swimming pool—you’ll love the privacy, beach view and romance of it all. As beginner divers, we opted for 2 days of intro diving (4 dives total). Our instructor Kristen with Reef Safari was fabulous, totally conscientious of each person’s individual comfort level. Though beginners, we took some adventurous dives through coral that will blow your mind. We felt completely safe and relaxed the entire time and are motivated to become certified on our next trip.

Other adventures included snorkeling at a neighboring island, grabbing the complementary kayaks almost every morning for an island paddle and lounging by the quiet resort pool enjoying Fiji Bitters. The food was great (couldn’t wait for meal time), with vegetables from the resort garden, fresh and tasty meats and wonderful flavor combinations—when there was a slight miss, Ben & Rach were quick to make corrections and work with the kitchen to get it just right. Great value and an unforgettable experience. Take me back to Wananavu!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wananavu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!