I traveled north out of Suva after finishing the initial stage of my assignment there. About an hour out of Suva you hit a really bad road and some of the most amazing scenery possible. There is a stretch of the Kings Road that is being rebuilt and the existing road is a challenge - but it seriously adds to the enjoyment of the trip. My only complaint is that there are no convenient places to stop and photograph some of the most stunning scenery I've seen in Fiji!
When you hit the north coast you come to beautiful bays, coastal road and mountains coming down to the water. Great scenery.
Arriving at Wananavu is very understated. You park and enter a very understated reception area. That is where you will experience one of Wananavu's strongest points - excellent service. You are made to feel welcome, the check in process is a breeze and by the time I got back with my bags there was a lovely fruit cocktail waiting for me.
I stayed in one of the garden bures. It was very comfortable and spacious and had everything you could want including a mini bar (not common in a lot of resorts). Importantly it didn't have a TV in the room!! Great value for money - the garden bure is their best priced accommodation. I also visited one of the bures on top of the hill with its own plunge pool and great view - fantastic!!
What is good about Wananavu?
1) The staff - Fiji is known for being friendly. The people at Wananavu take it to another level.
2) The food - absolutely excellent. One of the few "smaller" resorts that has a full a la carte breakfast included in your rate. It also offers a fully inclusive rate where you also get a two course lunch and three course dinner as part of your daily rate. Food was excellent.
3) The location - situated on a point on the northern part of Viti Levu, the main part of the resort is on the side of a hill. This affords brilliant views over the bay and the surrounding islands. The restaurant deck and pool are all protected from the prevailing wind. On one day the bay was unbelievably choppy as we came back from snorkelling but once in the marina it was as if there was no wind!!
4) Activities - while Wananavu offers some of the usual resort activities visitors to Fiji expect (hotel tours etc), they offer spectacular snorkelling trips (and I'm told diving). There are a number of islands just north east of the resort which present many opportunities, including going for a picnic which the hotel will arrange for you.
5) The guests - this is one place where the atmosphere led to everyone actually speaking to each other, having drinks and dinner with each other and becoming friends!! The Irish honeymooners Conner and Donna (I kid you not) would definitely attest to this!!
I enjoyed my stay so much I extended for another night. I will definitely be back there on my next visit to Fiji.
In conclusion, the Fiji quartet and staff singing Isa Lei to all those leaving the next day could bring a tear to a glass eye!!
There is also a spa there...but I can't comment as it was always busy and I didn't get in early enough!!
Reading Jenny R's comments - 10 days is probably not quite enough!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The real Fiji! Perfect for romance; fabulous for diving excellent for culture. 34 deluxe bures nestled along the beach and amongst tropical gardens. A real island experience with mainland convenience. Only just over 2 hours from Nadi International Airport. Great food, fantastic staff, unparalleled views, world class diving & snorkeling; amazing village tours and a perfect wedding venue. This is a true Fijian experience and is, as the name suggests, Wananavu! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Wananavu Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wananavu Beach Hotel Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Rakiraki
- Wananavu Beach Resort Fiji/Rakiraki