“Never again!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Tauranga
“Never again!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We have just come back to NZ from the Anchorage.The resort is OK for young people if they don't care about cleanliness but we were not impressed with the dirty room we had and filthy dishes and cutlery to eat from. The shower was the worst I have ever used!!The Fijian staff are lovely but I don't think much of the hygiene standards. My toasted sandwich arrived with raw fish stuck to it!!! My husband contracted food poisoning on the second day and he had not been anywhere else to eat. no medical provisions at all at the resort----not even a paracetamol!! Now he is having tests to find out what sort of food poisoning it is.
You could see the ocean from the "oceanview" room if you stood one end of the veranda and leant over and looked to one side!! You have to be reasonably fit to walk down to breakfast or have a swim and it is a STEEP walk back!!
The vehicles used for transfers and taxis are worn out and grimy.
This resort certainly should not have three stars even by the Fijian standards!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Our family stayed here for 3 nights recently, and we loved every minute.

Great bure beach spas with a huge pool and awesome lush ocean views.

The staff were great in comparison to the service we received at our first hotel in Nadi - never saw any cockroaches here either which is a bonus.

Yacht club nearby, Denarau a 15USD ride away and better food than expected as the cook will make whatever you like so long as she has the ingredients.

Well priced and would recommend definitely!

• Stayed December 2010
Corby, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Myself, my now husband and our 2 children, 4yrs and 6mths were travelling in total for 5 weeks, we visited New York, Los Angeles, Fiji, Sydney and Singapore and our 10 days in Fiji at The Anchorage was by far the best and the only place we were very sad to leave... We arranged our wedding at the Anchorage and for myself being the Bride to be stress levels are usually very high when planning a wedding, however the Anchorage staff took ALL of the stress of the wedding away and provided us with the perfect wedding and a perfect stay from the second we arrived.

Anu Murti, the Hotel Manager was excellent from day one, starting with all her communications before our trip through to the day we left. She excelled in her organisation skills and went above and beyond anything we expected! She arranged extras for the weeding, hair, flowers, cakes etc she was constantly attentive, she treated our entire party to drinks, gave us lifts and provided essential items that we needed, she arranged a Kava ceremony on our last day for our party and was ALWAYS happy to help us with anything we needed. She chased a lost suitcase daily, she was always onsite and she checked on us and offered assistance when my daughter was poorly.

The bar and restaurant staff were absolutely amazing with the children, and their attention to our party was second to none and their hospitality and friendliness was exceptional! Joseph always had time for the children and Maria and the rest of the girls were always attentive, courteous and friendly. Sam, the wedding co-ordinater arranged everything for the wedding with perfect attention to detail and took the time to do mine and my daughters hair with the help of another member of staff...

All in all our wedding day was absolutely perfect and would not of been so perfect if it wasn't for the staff at the Anchorage. Also I would like to thank the drivers who drove us around, shopping, hospitals and up and down the hill from the top of the resort to the pool and bar at the bottom... Also the housekeeping staff, who kept our room spotless and did all our laundry for us, the maintenance and grounds staff who were ALWAYS around cleaning and keeping the grounds nice. I simply cannot praise this hotel enough! All the staff sang us a farewell song on our last evening, they all remember everyone in our party by name and all paid extra care and attention to the children!

The surroundings are beautiful, the location in Nadi is quite central and the Airport is not too far away, the Sea View room we were in had an excellent view, a Jacuzzi and was very in keeping with Fijian style... The Fiji people as a nation were all extremely friendly and helpful and all in all Fiji turned out to be a little corner of perfection in the world that I would happily return to over and over again... AND we would most definitely stay at The Anchorage Beach Resort again. The pool was cleaned religiously each morning, the lanterns were lit each evening and they're was often live entertainment. The Kitchen staff were happy to make us food that was not on the menu and the food that was on the menu was mouth-wateringly wonderful, especially the Spicy Chicken Curry!

As I said I cannot praise this hotel enough and as a seasoned traveller it is by far the best hotel and best place I have ever been to! It is a very relaxing kind of holiday so if you want to party, it isn't for you, however they can offer you day trips to their sister island The Beachcomber which is full of water sports, partying and offers more luxurious amenities and all at a very reasonable price, Again Anu made took our 16 year old son over to the Beachcomber completely free of charge so he could see what the island had to offer and he had an amazing day with her and the staff there.

The Anchorage is a 3 STAR hotel, but offers 5 STAR service, friendliness and hospitality... for a budget hotel, which is how they advertise I believe the Anchorage excels in its category and I have stayed in 4 and 5 STAR accommodation that do no come close to what the Anchorage has to offer. We miss the staff and will always smile when we think of the time we had there.... Fiji is a wonderful place in its own right, however The Anchorage made it Magical for myself and my Family!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We booked and stayed at The Anchorage Beach Resort during Dec 2010. We stayed in a beachside spa villa, the air-conditioning didn't work and after 2 days of discussions with management about fixing the air-cond. they said we could change rooms - but they would down grade our room ( we ended up moving into another spa villa after arguing).

Sleeping was difficult as the room walls seemed paper thin and you could hear everything the people in the villa next door were doing. Bed was also terribly hard.

While having a shower the water would turn cold if the people in the neighbouring villa where having a shower.

It was expensive to get from anywhere to the Resort or vice versa - we sometimes paid $35.00 one way for a 15km trip.

We organised a transfer with reception staff two days before we needed it, and on the day we went to reception, they hadn't organised and had forgotten the conversation.

The resturant was ok, it did have a limited menu and you did have to wait to receive your meals (one night they actually forgot about our order and it took two hours to receive meal).

Bar staff were fantastic!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

After reading some of the comments here I was a slightly worried about my boyfriend and my trip here over Christmas.

None of the comments about unfriendly staff, overpriced food and drinks, drunken management and poor location were all rubbish.

I work in Tourism and I would recommend this resort for those who want to get away, relax, eat and drink on the cheap and most of all enjoy great Fijian hospitality.

We went to the Sheraton for a day at Denarau island and spent $500 AUD on quite possibly the worst dinner in my lifetime. Staff were rude and made me think Anchorage has a lot going for it!

Joseph in the bar and Anu the sales and marketing manager were incredible.

I would highly recommend for a budget holiday with great views!

Mia

• Stayed December 2010
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

stayed here in nov/dec 2010 my daughter got married here.The owners of the anchorage were fantastic they made our holiday, with their generous nature ,friendliness,and they were always there to help. the staff were wonderful too. Can honestly say was one of the best holidays ever had and it was all down to the owners and staff.would definitely go back so a big THANK YOU to all..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

As part of a wedding party, I firstly read some of the review's on TA. I first felt quite apphrensive about the Anchorage Beach Resort. I need not have worried.
On arrival, although very early, we were shown to our mountain view room by a friendly staff member. The twin room was bright with a balcony over looking the mountains and the bay to our right. Air con a ceiling fan and tv all in good order. A phone in the room to contact reception for transport down the hill, room service or to order taxi's etc. This also enabled us to connect with the other room's used by our party. There was a constant supply of tea and coffee in the room, and an iron and ironing board provided. Beach towels were provided at reception. Housekeeping tended the room daily.
Although not perfect I have stayed in 4 star hotels, in which room standards have been lower than this budget resort.
The food in restaurant was very good and staff attentive, polite and smiling. The cook was always prepared to cook anything we requested, as long as she had the necessary ingredients to do so. The continental breakfast was more than adequate. Again on request a cooked breakfast would be provided.
The pool was clean and kayak's available when required.
The wedding took place high on the hill overlooking the bay. The covered area was decorated with flowers and ribbon. The white walkway to the wedding arch, was scattered with fresh flowers, the perfume of which filled the space. The bride's flowers were provided as were the groom and best man's floral garlands.The service was awesome and the photographer likewise
The reception had been arranged on the restraurant decking, overlooking the sea. A surpprise wedding cake was provided by the management .
Nothing was too much trouble, to ensure that we all had a day to remember.
The photographer even returned later to take sunset photos of the bride and groom.
Many extras were provided, ie: The brides hair and that of the flower girls, a massage for bride and groom, plus a romantic meal of their choice the following evening on the bridge. Just to name but a few.
Everyone involved made this a wedding to remember.
Not everything went to plan initially. We arived with a missing case, last seen at check-in at LAX. Reception staff tried daily to trace this. An emergency dentist was needed and they found me one, even if it was late on a Saturday afternoon. I even had an escort to ensure that I got there and back safely.
Would I recommend this resort. If it is a quiet relaxing holiday or a wedding package you are looking for absolutely. However for anyone with mobility problems, I would recommed a seaview room. Although transport is provided because of the hill, seaview is more conveniant. Young people looking to party may find the pace here too slow. However it would make a good place to recover after the party. :-)
True, the mozies are a pain, however they come with the rain's, regardless of the ground's being sprayed. People who complain about geckos, may like to consider the fact that they eat the mozies.
What this resort lacks in luxury, it more than makes up for in customer service.
Thank's guy's, you are all awesome.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Anchorage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!