“Birthday Bash” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Melbourne, Australia
“Birthday Bash”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were looking for a place to celebrate our wives 50th birthday and my brother-in-law mentioned Fiji as he had been thee eight years ago. After a two hour delay at Melb Airport we finally arrived at the Anchorage on Sat 4 Jan at 7:40 am. My initial disappointment with the reservation manager who thought it was best to talk on her mobile that answer out question, and the fact that she was reluctant to offer us adjoining rooms, were dispelled when we went for a walk around the resort to fill in time before check-in. Before anyone starts whingeing – This is not the Hilton or the Sheraton – but it is a reasonably priced resort if you want to relax and be away from the crowds. The resort surrounds are well kept and the pool is cleaned at 7.00 each morning because I said BULA to the guy cleaning it each day. Breakfast is basic, but there could have been offer to upgrade to a cooked breakfast? Room cleaning was basic but don’t ask for extra towels because you won’t get them. I tried to make an call through reception to a mobile number and was told they couldn’t do it – I felt that the management at the hotel was poor and always full of excuses why the couldn’t do things.
Enough of the negatives – on the positives we want to congratulate the staff in the restaurant, particularly the morning staff, and especially Mare and Clive for making our stay enjoyable. Nothing was too much for them and they even organised a cake and a birthday serenade for the girls on the special night (8th). Thank you again Guys that was brilliant. The Bure was fantastic and relaxing , the staff friendly and inviting. The guys from Splash water sports were also friendly and helpful. Beachcomber Island was great, although our visit was covered in our package, and trips to Nadi and Latouka were an eye opener, via the free shuttle service from the resort – although you need to make your own way back. Just a tip, we hired a car from 2fast rentals which was cheap and drove down to the coral coast, very reasonable and a lot cheaper than alternatives. Fiji isn’t bad to drive in as long as you’re a cautious and you can have some great experiences. Overall we enjoyed our time in Fiji – but then again it’s what you make of it.
VINAKA

Room Tip: Ocean view room (second storey)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Resort M, Manager at Anchorage Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Bula Peter,
Thanks for your review and we are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We have many staff here who continue to be commended by guests and they are our greatest asset.
We hope you return to the Anchorage in the future.
Vinaka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My Husband died 21 -11-20011 A year later I needed to get away, so I ended up going to Anchorage Resort Fiji , what a top place it. Turn out to be, now here I am again 2013 running into 2014. & it's my Third Time I have been here at the Anchorage Beach Resort and I'll be coming back again at the end of this year. This is where I come to relax, and heal my body mind and soul.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.they can't do enough for you. Smiles all round. Conveniently located, great . Free transport to the shops , Nadi and Lautoka. Easy access to Beachcomber Island and Denaurau just a boat ride. Reasonably priced and a great bar, that I find at times difficult to leave . Entertainment every night. Eg Polynesian shows , fire dancers, band and serenaders and kava ceremony. Boutique for shopping , volleyball, massage bure and a great BIG swimming pool.
What more could you ask for? I Love it.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are the best but all the rooms have a view .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bula Pam,
It was great having you staying with us again and we are very happy to hear that the Anchorage is your chosen place to relax. Everyone here looks forward to seeing you again at the end of this year.
Grimsby, ON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked a 13 day trip to Anchorage during Christmas and New Year. My younger son got a terrible infection on both ears , runs high fever and we were seeking immediate medical assistance. After 1 hr of waiting and repetitive calls to the reception, they sent us a taxi to take us to the closest medical facility in the local village. There is no doctor available at this clinic and we're told to go to Latoka hospital. The hotel taxi ( The actual hotel transportation, not a separate hire) abandons us in the village to find our way to the hospital. They ask us to wait for another taxi( another 1/2 hour in the middle of the road waiting). My son is barely sitting on his feet so we ask locals to help us get to the hospital. At the hospital we were told that there is private medical care available so we hop on yet another taxi and make it to a clinic to see a doctor. On the way back we talk to the "owners representative" Aaron -----. We ask him how it is possible to abondon his guests when dealing with a medical emergency. Not only that he is not apologizing for this but he is very rude and accuses us that we were not clear what type of medical emergency it was! When we mentioned that is his responsibility to provide its guests with proper information and access to medical services in cases of emergency he was quite apathetic and rude. Considering that the hotels mission is to provide best customer service , I advise my fellow travellers to think twice before booking with this hotel. Aside from this incident, we found the facility expensive for the type of services provided. The food at the resort is below standards, therefore most of the guests go to the nearby Marina and First Landing restaurant. The location is very remote and you need to pay for a lot of taxi fares to get around.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Suva, Fiji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We checked in on 26th December and till that moment we all were having a blast. Awesome customer service. Villas are well maintained with new 32' Flat Screen TV. The pool I think is cleaned every morning. A wide variety of delicious food available for full 3 course meals. Has a billiard table as well. Daily transfers to beachcomber island and port denarau. Free use of kayaks. NOT an ideal place for backpackers. Has a boutique with various types of souvenirs. A perfect place for relaxation.

Some of things that I didnt find well were
1. The room which I was in, Room 205, had no reception inside the room so I couldn't use my cellular device inside the room. I had to go outside to the balcony to receive signals. This was kinda disappointing for me personally as I need my phone working at all times. But with great service this guys have to offer, you dont need to use your cell phone so not a big issue.

2. Local beer I think was too overpriced. Might as well drink some Heineken with the same price but if your the money man than FIJI BITTER and FIJI GOLD is a must try when you're in Fiji. This is not a big issue as well.

Tip.
Evening activities are quite fun. Ask the staff when is the JOJO show. Also for any issues it's best to see the hotel manager Sam. Very nice guy.

I would give it a 5/5 but number 1 came in the way of that.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bula Zeefiji,
Thanks for your great review.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed at Anchorage in June 2013. The resort felt a little run down, my partner is a plumber and kept noticing things that needed to be touched up or refurbished as it had a very tired feel. For example the wooden stairs leading down a steep hill below our room were rotten and failing apart, this did not make me feel safe when climbing them in the rain. Our room was very basic and it never really felt clean. We knew the cleaners had been but even then it still didn't feel like it'd been cleaned properly. It felt a little bit like a backpackers as the furnishing was very sparse.
The first morning it was overcast and not overly warm, i wanted a nice warm shower when i got up, but all the water is heated by sloar power and the last couple of days had apparently been raining and overcast - so i had a very "refreshing" shower which was rather on the cold side. Not a nice start to my first morning.
The thing that was a terrible let down for me was the food. You expect to come to an island such as Fiji and be able to eat fish. Our first dinner we sat for about 20mins deciding what to eat, we then all ordered fish and were told that fish wasn't available (nice of them to tell us this before we ordered). Not only was there no fish available that night, there was no fish available for the next 3 nights of our stay! The food in general was not to a high standard and quite frankly i could have whipped up something better in my own kitchen (and i'm no Gordon Ramsey). We ordered the satay chicken skewers and it came with no satay sauce!! I remember having a chicken dish that was so dry and overcooked that i couldnt' eat it. In the end on other guests recommendations we decided to only eat at the Marina which is a short taxi ride away.
It wasn't all bad though - on the plus side we found the staff to be friendly, we liked the pool and also the little shack by the beach for massages. That was the best massage i'd ever had listening to the sound of the waves breaking on the shore.
There wasn't much of a beach but the day trip we were offered to beachcomber more than made up for it. We really enojoyed it.
It's not a terrible place to stay as on a whole we didn't hate the place, it's just the food and run down feel of the place really let it down. If those were improved i'd go back.

Room Tip: Don't choose the upper garden rooms - they are far away from the pool and dining area and it'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Natalie,
Thank you for your review. Whilst it has bee six months since you stayed with us, it is always good to receive guest feedback. Based upon guest feedback in the first half of 2013, we did take steps to ensure that there was a wider selection of seafood on the menu and whilst there are occasional supply issues due to weather we do now have lobster, crab, whole fish and other seafood available for guests.
Thank you for the praise that you have shown towards the staff and that you enjoyed the swimming pool, massage and Beachcomber day trip.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I wanted a much deserved break. We heard from a group of work colleagues about the Anchorage Beach Resort at Vuda Point Fiji , that it is a great place to stay . We were extremely happy we had an absolutely fantastic time. We were greeted at the airport where there was a shop front office. We were transferred to the resort. The resort style was boutique , the weather balmy, staff friendly and accommodating . The pace was Fijian ...relaxed , slow and steady with a cool ,groovy vibe. The resort was very reasonably priced,and great value . The location spot on . Close to Lautoka , Nadi and Denauru for shopping. The Anchorage provided complimentary bus trips to Nadi and Lautoka daily , which we frequently used. We visited the local village went shopping local style ,the movies ,it was like going back in time. We kayaked, swam , had cocktails in the pool(bar) just absolutely relaxed and embraced Fiji,we loved it . The restaurant had a great ambiance on the water. Entertainment, every night something different, eg fire dancers, polynesian / fijian dancing show , crab racing serenaders and a live resident band that got everyone moving and groovying and in the party mood . Towards the end of the night it was a slow groove. We went to Denauru shopping and did a day trip to the Beachcomber Island ,which was paradise . We loved our stay at the Anchorage . Next time we will stay for longer and definately book a couple of nights extra at the Beachcomber Island a place for family by day and friends partying hard by night. Overall we had an absolutely Fantasic Holiday . We had a little bit of everything and we chose what we wanted to do and when . The staff were friendly and helpful . Anyone who doesn't have a great time needs to look at themselves ... its Fiji .... embrace the people , lifestyle, culture and history ... Relax ..let your hair down and enjoy . I know where I'm definitely going back to,Fiji ... Paradise . Thank you Anchorage Resort and staff , we had an absolutely fantastic holiday... it was everything ... relaxed , fun, party, made friends, adventure my perfect holiday.

• Stayed December 2013
Bula Kathryn,
Thank you for your detailed review on everything at the Anchorage. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had a great accommodation package with the Anchorage Beach Resort with lots of extras included. I like the location and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Yes a train went through the resort but I was there at the end of the sugar cane season. But this is quite clear on their website. I had an ocean view room, it was basic, clean and tidy. Diwali festival was on so it was a nice touch to watch the fireworks and the staff entertainment. My meals at the restaurant were delicious. The free wifi in the restaurant was an unexpected surprise. The pool was clean and awesome to swim in. This is a very laid back and friendly resort. Very very relaxing.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bula Kiwishells
Thank you for a great review and we are very pleased to receive such positive feedback from a Senior Reviewer.
Vinaka

Been to Anchorage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!