“What a Place! Ambiance is perfect, Gardens exceptional, Staff Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of First Landing Beach Resort & Villas

You added First Landing Beach Resort & Villas to your Saves list
First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Vuda Point Road | Vuda Point, Lautoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“What a Place! Ambiance is perfect, Gardens exceptional, Staff Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Upon arriving at this wonderful place we were greeted with "Welcome Home". The ambiance here is just incredible. The gardens are some of the best I have seen in Fiji, the rooms (bures) are excellent with all the amenities you need. They are large and clean and were actually being refurbished whilst we were there - we don't know how they are going to make them much better, but we will see on our next trip. Rooms are made up daily with a lovely touch of fresh flowers on your bed and around your bathroom. The pool is large and clean, some parts covered to save you from the sun.

Our bure was on the waterfront, so close to the beach (probably 2 metres), you could hear the water lapping on the sand of a night time. Everything in the room worked, unlike other places we have stayed. They have large insect screened verandahs, where you can sit and have a drink and watch the amazing sunsets Fiji is renowned for. Some reviews have mentioned mosquitoes, but I did not see one (and they usually love me)!

The restaurant serves incredible food and being right on the beach, with a band softly strumming, I didn't not notice any such thing as 'Fiji Time'. The manager, Alex, has just put in a new BBQ bar which you can select from or their wonderful menu has many options. I believe they are also adding a fire pizza oven. Choose from tables under the palm trees, on the beach, or eat on the bridge. No request is too much trouble. Saturday night they had a two man band which played cruisy music for dining and after, more up beat music for dancing. The meals are not expensive and the drinks are also very reasonable. The extensive breakfast is served in a large well furnished, fully windowed bure type room, or you can choose to sit at a table outside with your feet in the sand and watch the boats drift by or gaze at the islands in the distance.

How other reviews can complain of the smallest things, amazes me! On the other hand, I suppose it is hard for staff to complain about some guests! So there were a couple of ants in the bath - wash them away before filling the bath and not a worry. We did not have any geckos in our room, no mossies on our verandah, no waiting for our meals, no lack of service, no overcharging - NO complaints! There are so many good points about this place, no matter how hard I think, I cannot come up with a negative.

The staff are incredible! Isimeli, Mere & Alex and all the other staff, went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful stay. It was my birthday and our 25th Wedding Anniversary, and not only did they give me cake and sing Happy Birthday, they did it twice! (First night, they were a day early!!) The day before our Anniversary the wonderful band stayed up until after midnight, just so they could sing us their anniversary song, as we were leaving the next morning. We had a fire dancing show one night and some other people came to dine from a cruise. Three groups of people asked us which island they were on. They could not believe it was the mainland, as the whole resort does look like it belongs on one of the islands. Actually this place is so nice, you really feel like you are on an island!

We were only there for a 3 night stay before going on a short cruise. On our return we stayed at the Sheraton at Denarau for a few nights and wished we were back at First Landing Resort. The peace and quiet, lack of screaming children, staff that knew your name the first day and a feeling of belonging, made us miss the place and vow to return to this resort for a longer stay next year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Just returned from 5 days at First Landing Was a bit worried after reading previous reviews of this resort however found everthing was just what we needed. The staff were wonderful couldnt do enough for us, the food was excellant, the grounds were out of this world and the pool was good and always clean. Yes the tide did go out tides are inclinded to do this, however this opened up good opportunities to explore the reef for blue star fish and black slugs. There was always enough water in the deep pool near the wharf for an ocean swim if needed when the tide was out. So dont always believe all you read from others (including this review ) go see for youself. Be adventureous!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Our second trip to Fiji and return trip to First Landing. All our old Fijian friends there and plenty of new ones. Even after and 18mth gap we were welcomed "home". Happy to recommend to anyone who wants to kick back and relax. There is still plenty to do outside the resort though if that is your thing. Vinaka to everybody at First Landing, we will be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Spent 4 nights here and enjoyed every minute. From our initial warm welcome at the airport from our transfer pickup (thanks Mare and our driver) to our departure we cannot speak highly enough about the friendliness, helpfullness and genuine hapiness shown by all the staff.
We had a beach front bure and the maximum distance from the front of any bure to the sand was 3m and other bures were closer than this. The views at sunset from the bures was spectacular and wakeing up to nothing but blue ocean was unforgettable. The bures were clean, comfortable and well set out.
You can choose to do nothing but relax by the lavish pool or engage in various excursions organised by the efficient tour desk. This resort is not over run by children as there is no kids club.
The meals are of excellent quality and extremely well priced. Drinks prices are also very reasonable. The marina next door also has meals and entertainment and is worth a visit for lunch or dinner.
We've previously stayed at the Warwick but will certainly be returning to First Landing.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I arrived early in the morning from an overnight flight and I was very tired. I did not expect them to have my room ready at the time arrived (it was VERY early after all), and they did not...however they put me in a temporary room so I could catch a quick nap while they readied my room with a promise to come get me (read: gently awaken me) when my room was ready. The temporary room was clean, comfortable and just the right size for a solo traveler like myself. If this had been my permanent room I would have been well satisfied. However, when I was taken to MY room (Bure) it was bigger, more beautiful and MORE than I could have ever hoped for. There were fresh flowers on the bed and the porter had opened the windows so the air could flow through the room. I was very-very happy.

I had heard from other reviewers that the food in the restaurant might take some time to be delivered after you order it, and this was true, but I was not there for fast food. I wanted a good meal and that is what I got so it was worth the wait. However, my waiting time was well spent watching the magnificent sunset (the most amazing I have seen in years), watching the tiki torches being lit and watching the show that was being performed for a group who were on ending a tour with dinner. I was in Fiji to relax, so that is exactly what I did. I really did not even notice the time had passed until I looked at my watch. The food at First Landing is quite good and I recommend it. The servers are very willing to accommodate your requests so ask them if you need something. I would suggest, if you can, timing your meal so you can watch the sunset, believe me, it is well worth it.

The staff at First Landing were, in my opinion, first rate. They were cheerful, willing to answer any question, no matter how silly (and I had some silly ones), helpful, willing to talk to you, and very-very nice. My room was always clean and had fresh flowers in it whenever I returned. No one ever bothered me if I gave the appearance of wanting to be left alone, beyond asking if there was anything they could do for me to make my stay more enjoyable. The bar man, after the getting to know me the first day, was quick to offer me beverages he thought I would like, and in every case, he was right. The gift shop was bright and cheery and the salesperson was a joy to talk to. The travel agent on site was knowledgeable and helped me find a few tours on the island that fit my “just want to relax” desires. The internet was available in the gift shop and I thought the rate they charged was more than reasonable.

I have read some negative or unflattering reviews of First Landing, which is confusing to me. I don’t know where these people stayed, but my visit was WONDERFUL. I cannot think of a negative thing to say about my stay at First Landing. I would return to this place right now if I could, and I know that I would be welcome. I HIGHLY recommend this as a place for the weary traveler who needs a place to relax and recharge. It is probably not for very small children, but I have no doubt that older families would be happy here. Yes, the tide goes out and the rocks are exposed, but a nice walk along the beach goes a long way to relaxing your soul. Yes, the atmosphere is laid back, but....HELLO?? You're in Fiji. Laid back is what you came there for.

If you want a place to take it easy, sit by the pool, drink a cool beverage and watch a rugby game on the bar television with others who are also so inclined ( or in my case have someone EXPLAIN rugby to you so you can enjoy the game and cheer at the right moments), or just plain let your brain exit the speedway that is your life, this is it. Stay here!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

The resort is named after the belief that it is the first place man set foot on Fiji and is a lovely spot with its own magic. Sadly too much reliance on this means that it has lost everything else you would expect from a three star resort. This is a real shame.

First the bure was NOT on the beach and the interior was NOTHING like the internet photos which were NOT of the room I got at all. The place was shoddy – cracked tiles, gaps in the walls and ants partying in the bath, on the floor, mongols on the roof...This place is described as Fijian but I thought that word did not mean tired and shabby with substandard service. The welcome was poor and it just got worse – from the car driver who couldn’t be bothered to assist me to the porter who didn’t show me how the things worked to the room not being fully functional - so I had no air-con the first night on that tropical island, safe malfunctioning and even the internet does not work!

The staff will always greet you with a warm smile and but somewhere along the way their belief in belonging has mutated to their being there is a favour to you. There is absolutely no concept of SERVICE or that this is your holiday, you have paid for it and it is for them to make it special. Even the boutique, reception, bar, nothing (bar the odd staff member) was an exception in this.

The list of incompetence is too long to itemise but included a waiter taking a order and disappearing so no dinner that night , staff playing favourites with guests, a house-keeper going next door for a chat ignoring my complaint and bathing suit disappearing from my room. All served up with the most heartfelt of excuses worn thin by sheer repetition.

Then there is the food which made eating a chore. Ridiculously stingy portions, lukewarm, no attractive garnishing, poorly cooked – even the basic extras are wrong to the point of inedible; omelette cooked in burnt oil, coleslaw without mayonnaise, coloured water pretending to be coffee etc. The manager talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk, even the bill wasn’t ready on leaving despite request.

Unless you have the most incredible determination to put this aside to relax and enjoy your holiday then just DON’T. Full overhaul of a substandard system is required.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
RMFirstLanding_10, Manager at First Landing Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Bula Vinaka,

we feel really sorry that our Resort was not up to your high standards. But I must mention that as far as I remember we tried everything possible to make your stay comfortable.
As I have been informed of your complaints, we changed Rooms immediately ( next morning as it was already late ). The Air-condition problem could have been solved with a simple phone call to the Reception.
The disappearing of your Swim Suit was just accidently as you folded it in between your Towel and the Room Attendant have not seen it but returned it straight away. The Safety Box problem has been solved a minute after I have been informed.
Your Dinner experience is not really as you are describing it as you ordered a Starter and after that a Steak. You had not the patience to wait and complaint again, leaving the Restaurant and after all calling for Room Service. The Waiter attended a minute later at your Bure to bring you the Menu. Instead of ordering something you told him off and banged the Sliding Door in front of him.
Further to mention that the majority of Guest loves the genuine friendly service of our Bar and Restaurant Staff. No one smiles as favor, we are genuine friendly even to difficult Guests.
To talk about our Food Quality and presentation is actually out of Question as the Amount of Guests ( Local and Inhouse) speaks for itself.
Now the most important part: We have just undertaken a major Investment to refurbish the whole Resort. It has been well acknowledged from Travel Agents around the World, just not good enough for you.

I feel really sorry that it was not enjoyable for you, but personal problems should not been made up with our Resort Staff nor the Resort itself.

We all hope that you will find your enjoyable destination, but keep in mind Guest Satisfaction goes both ways. Staff likes to get treated well and likes also to be complimented for their extra effort even if it is the most difficult Situation.

Vinaka

First Landing Beach Resort
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

First visit to Fiji. Arrived at resort and relaxed immediately, the staff were amazing, food was excellent, accommodation fabulous! 30 mins from Nadi, 20 mins from airport so no long haul to get there and once there you can just switch off and spend everyday doing nothing or doing whatever you like. They will help you organise trips or just help you do nothing - fantastic! Definately a return visit!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to First Landing Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!