“Dive Savusavu with Cousteau” 4 of 5 stars

You added Daku Resort to your Saves list
Daku Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 18, Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
“Dive Savusavu with Cousteau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I just finished a week at staying at Daku diving with L'Aventure Dive at the JM Cousteau Resort. We found Daku to be a totally acceptable, comfortable home base from which to spend a week diving. The owner of Daku has arranged a Dive/Stay package that is probably the best comfort/value balance in the area (you can stay right at the cousteau resort, but it will cost you 10x the price per night). The Bure was large, the staff was helpful in arranging cabs back and forth from cousteau (included in package). I travel with my own dive gear and just left it at cousteau for the week where they washed and dried it daily. The Cousteau dive shop was by far the most well organized and professional dive operation I have used to date. All your gear set up and ready to go, dry towels, water and cookies for the surface interval, and a large, stable boat for the trip to the namena reserve (which you must, must, must do if you want to dive some of the healthiest reef left on the planet).
As for Daku itself- We enjoyed the fridge and coffee maker in the room. We bought a few snacks in town and enjoyed coffee on the front porch in the morning. The bed- just okay, but sufficient. Housecleaning service and staff exemplary. We did have one day with no hot water for showering but this was attended to. The food: we only ate breakfast at Daku and it was the basic/standard fresh fruit, toast and coffee. Lunches and dinners we had ate the various restaurants in town- our favorites were Captain's table at the Yacht Club and Decked Out Cafe.
Overall- I think this is the best mid-range resort in the area.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs! The rainforest is very noisy starting at about 3 am.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Savusavu is off the beaten track and the pace in this part of Vanua Levu is chilled - Fijian chilled. This is a moderately priced resort with a small cluster of Bures set in a pleasant garden. there are views of the ocean and the sunsets are beautiful. the only slight downside to the setting is the road between the resort and the sea which seems to have become a highway for the local taxi drivers who drive with a little bit of reckless abandon up and down it. However the traffic was not constant and stopped relatively early in the evening.

The bures were clean and well kept, and although they were close together, meaning they are not a private as they could be but the garden setting was beautiful with a large array of flowering native plants and shrubs attracting a similar plethora of bird life.

Service at Daku was very friendly and probably the most relaxed that I have seen in Fiji so far. As long as you are in no rush then everyhing will come your way.

I was a little bit dissapointed by the food on offer though. Daku gets a mention in the Lonely Planet as a restaurant but to be fair, the food was pretty ordinary, particularly in the evening.

But the food was my only complaint - for the price the resort offered a relaxed location to chill out and explore the local area, vegetate by the pool or watch the sun set.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We (a mid-50’s couple) just spent 6 days at Daku Resort in Savusavu (as our first stop on a 3 month around-the-Pacific adventure.) I have to say that, with the exception of the food, which I’ll get to in a bit, everything was great and “as advertised” by the previous glowing reviews. The location is great, an easy 20 minute walk to town, where there are lots of good restaurants and shops. The staff at the resort are wonderfully helpful and friendly. Kenni and, in particular, Carlos took great care of us. The bures are rustic but clean and comfortable. The grounds are lovely and having a pool was a great bonus, so much so that we never did go in the water across from the resort, though we did go snorkeling at “the split rock” a few km down the road towards the Cousteau resort, which was very good for walk-in snorkeling, though the coral was pretty bleached-out. Apparently it was quite spectacular a few years ago. (We also went on a snorkeling trip to the Namena Marine Reserve with the Cousteau Resort dive team, so we got some great snorkeling in.) While we were at Daku, a large yoga group was there for most of the time and took up a lot of the resort and had their own separate meals in a separate area. The other guests were a great group, though, and everyone got along very well. Breakfast was a very social time, with everyone sitting around catching up on previous day’s activities and coming day’s plans. Which brings me to the food. We, like most people (outside the yoga group) that we met there, only had one meal (other than breakfasts) at the resort and that was on our first night. The reason is that the food was so bad for the first night’s meals that no one was willing to take a chance on another one. (Our “Cajun chicken” was a chicken leg in what looked and tasted like a thick canned barbeque sauce, with some obviously reheated vegetable stir-fry --probably left over from the yoga group meal.) Now maybe it was just a bad week, but I’m just saying that if you go expecting great food (or the communal group dinners talked about in other reviews) you may be disappointed. We did eat breakfast at the resort every day and, as I mentioned, it was a great time to catch up with everyone. The food at breakfast—just fresh fruit, cereal, toast, tea & coffee—was fine but a little overpriced at FJD 15 each, considering you can get a good lunch at a nice restaurant in town for FJD 16. Anyway, there was plenty of great food in town, so it was not really a big deal.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Such a laid back friendly place to stay and indulge in the opportunity to paint every day. The staff are so friendly and even tried to accommodate me with my dairy intolerant diet. My bure was simple but clean and I loved the fresh flowers every day, just lovely. The pool was a welcome cool place to relax. Thumbs up.

Room Tip: The garden bure's open onto a nice lawn with the ocean 100 meters away while the rooms on the hi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

TL;DR: Stay here! Dive here! And say hi to JJ for me!

Savusavu was a delight; while my girlfriend and I enjoyed our time on Viti Levu, the small-town feel and laid-back atmosphere of the north island was just the thing we needed. I intend to return to Fiji, and when I do I'll most certainly stay at Daku again.

The first thing to know about Daku is that JJ and Delia, the owners of the resort, are delightful people who will bend over backwards to be accommodating and friendly to you. Our first moments on the island JJ appeared personally at the Savusavu airport (the first airport I've seen with no walls) to drive us to the resort. He was such a delight to chat with, telling us both about himself and about Savusavu, that we arrived in no time.

The resort is a few minutes' drive outside of town, which was a perfect location for what I was looking for: we got the relaxed and quiet atmosphere of a remote location, but could go to town for a $4 and 4 minute taxi ride. (As an aside, Savusavu has an insane number of taxis; literally 1/4 of the cars in town were taxis, which made it incredibly easy to get a ride. Even better, every driver we had was honest and charged us the same reasonable rate.) In addition, Savusavu is a pretty small town; while you'll probably want to go into town for dinner a night or two, there really isn't actually that much to do. You'll be better off relaxing at Daku or heading out on one of the excursions that JJ, Delia, or the any of the alway-helpful staff will help you plan.

The only activity I did while at Daku was scuba diving, and for good reason: the diving in this part of Fiji is the stupefyingly, stunningly, amazing. The Jean-Michel Cousteau dive shop (attached to the resort of the same name), a 10 minute ($8) taxi ride further down the road out of town, is an absolutely world-class operation that took me on the best dives of my life. Even better, staying at Daku saved us money two ways: first, while the Cousteau resort is a very very nice, a bungalow at Daku is 1/5 or 1/10 of the price of a room at Cousteau. Second, Daku's arranged a special rate that make the diving prices very reasonable (not cheap, but a great value for the level of service we got). The relative proximity to Cousteau is another reason that Daku's just-out-of-town was great – every morning the staff would call us a taxi and we'd just have to roll out of our bungalow and we'd be on the boat in 20 minutes.

The other standout thing at Daku was its food. Each night a delicious family-style dinner is served on the patio. Our meals varied across all kinds of cuisines – much more than the other resorts we'd stayed at in Fiji – but were always tasty. If you're committed to private meals you might be skeptical, but we really enjoyed spending a little bit of time chatting with the other guests (even the gaggle of teenage Girl Scouts from America!), something that it's all too easy to miss out on when you're traveling as a couple. I'd always try to sit near JJ or Delia, though, since they reliably made for interesting and funny conversation.

The long and the short of this review is that Daku was a treat to stay at: it had nice rooms, good food, and everyone there made us feel welcome. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bakers Hill, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a wonderful place for relaxation and painting,the staff and owners are all friendly and helpful.The scenery for painting was so beautiful even on a overcast day, would like to come back for more of the same.Found the rooms clean and tidy with fresh flowers each day and the food was outstanding, so if you are looking for a break from everyday life, go well worth the trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a fantastic place to stay. I only stayed one night, and was by myself, but was instantly made to feel like part of the family. JJ is an absolute hoot and got a grin from me everytime I saw him. A sweet tropical home away from home - I'll be back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Daku Resort? Share your experiences!