“Staff is fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
Melbourne, Florida
“Staff is fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2006

We travelled to Namale for our honeymoon in October 2006. We had a wonderful time, even though it rained for the first 5 days of our trip. The grounds are beautiful, and meticulously maintained. If you are a gardener like me, you will be amazed at the care that goes into the resort. They put fresh flowers everywhere, too- in your room, on your table, everywhere, and they are all fresh from the garden. I loved it!
There were always activities planned by the resort, or you could feel free to spend the day alone doing your own activity or doing absolutely nothing. Being able to have picnics in locations other than the dining room was great. Make sure to have a waterfall picnic. Your table is literally in the water, and you are surrounded by trees and ferns in the forest; it was beautiful.
The food was good- even though the choices were sometimes limited, they always had something that grabbed our attention, and they were very nice about making accomodations for special dietary requests (I'm vegetarian). On our first day, I asked our waitress which of two selections she thought was better because I couldn't decide. Her response was, "Well, I'll just bring you a little of both!" Living in Florida, where there are a lot of tourists as well, I can say that is not service you get used to in America! The drinks flowed freely, and I was very satisfied with the quality and quantity they provided! In fact, an Australian couple we met there told us some of the wines in our room were very pricey Australian labels (we weren't familiar, but are not experts). They served champagne bottles like they were water bottles and we couldn't get over how generous they were with drinks!
The staff was amazingly friendly and kind, especially Paul, Jope, Leno, Joe, Eta, and Epo. They went above and beyond to make you comfortable, and they were just nice to talk and joke with. It would take us 20 minutes to make it to any meal or activity because we always were stopping to talk with someone. Paul even took us on a long hike in the rain because we didn't want to miss it!
We stayed for 2 nights in a jungle bure and 5 in the Bula House. Both were lovely, although the Bula House would have to be described as paradise. We had everything you could possibly imagine- a huge room, our own pool & hot tub, a private beach, a spa tub, 2 showers-one indoor and one outdoor, a kitchen, a pool table, even a pull down movie screen and projector to watch DVDs on rainy nights (although I never could bring myself to cover the view of the ocean, even when it was raining, in the daytime!). The kava bowl hang out area was very fun to meet up with other guests or talk with the staff. The nightly kava was fun, too, and we slept like never before. We went on the village visit and to the church services in one of the local villages, which I highly recommend. All in all, it was a wonderful experience.
The only small negatives I would mention are that we had a strange/uncomfortable encounter with one of their main staff members, Sami, as did a few other guests we spoke with. We just avoided him for the remainder of our trip, which wasn't a problem because there are so many other people to help you if you should need anything. The last thing would be that while I found the rooms furnished nicely, I thought there were some spots on the property that needed some maintenance for safety purposes. For example, some of the deck boards surrounding our cliff-edge pool were rotted and squishy, and made me a little nervous.
But, regardless of those small points, this is one of my favorite vacations we have ever gone on. We travel pretty often and have been to many different places around the world. Generally, we feel that once we go somewhere, we wouldn't visit again just because of the sheer number of places we'd still like to see.
But I am positive we will be back to Namale. And I can't wait!

• Liked — It was gorgeous, the staff was great, so much to do, and the resort actually helps out the local villages
  • Disliked — It's a long plane ride!
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to take advantage of the hikes and village visits.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

We stayed for 5 nights at Namale in January of this year. Namale is near SavuSavu on the large northern Fijian island of Vanua Levu. The flight north if you come from Nadi on a fixed wing aircraft takes about 1 hour. The island is different from the main Fijian island of Viti Levu climatically in that it has a higher rainfall and more humidity, and culturally in that it is like Viti Levu was 15 or so years ago. It really is an unspoilt paradise and this is the reason we came to Namale. From the moment we arrived at Namale and the overwhelming greeting we received from the management and as many staff as they could assemble to greet us with a Fijian greeting song, laughter and handshakes we realised we were about to be spoilt - and spoilt we were. The grounds are large, very tropical and immaculate. You can walk from your Villa to any of the dining or entertainment venues or if you feel lazy or if it is raining just watch out for one of the electric carts that pass by frequently and they will give you a lift. Whilst here we experienced a Fijian "Meke" performance by some staff and nearby villagers followed by a 'Lovo" traditional Fijian feast. We have been to a number of these events elsewhere but they all pale into insignificance compared to the one here. The Menus are small as they like to prepare everything fresh but there was always something you fancied. We found the Wine list to be small also and with few wines we knew ( we have a big interest in wines and a reasonable wine knowledge ) so we drank a lot of Veuve!! We let it slip that during our stay here it was our Wedding anniversary and on the night they had a very special surprise for us. They had set up a table on a deck by a private Jacuzzi just for us and we were given even more special service than the normal excellent service and they even had a lovely Anniversary Cake for dessert for us. Afterwards we were invited to take a dip in the Jacuzzi and they had towels and robes there for that. Amazing!! The Villas are positioned so that they are all very private and the only time we saw anyone from our Villa was when we were having our afternoon glass of wine on our deck occassionally you would see someone down on the beach watching the amazing sunsets. The Villas are quite large and comfortable, the only negative being that in places they are a little tired. Namale does not have Caribbean style white sand beaches but it does have an interesting Lava coastline, unspoilt surroundings and style. At low tide the lava just off the beach is exposed and it makes for an interesting walk providing you wear sneakers looking in all the rock pools. There are plenty of places to walk or ride a bike to near the resort including a lovely waterfall in the hinterland only about 30 minutes walk or they will take you there in a 4x4 with a picnic if you want. The staff are amazing and obliging - mostly they will address you by name. You feel that whatever you require they are there to make it happen for you. The management team of Mark and Danielle are very professional and efficient and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and I think they are a big part of Namale's success. The price of the resort is a little steep and if they are going to keep the price levels as they are they will need to re-furbish the Villa's, we spoke to some other guests and they all had similar comments. This should not put you off though, if you want to go somewhere for stress relief and to completely re-charge your batteries Namale is a great place to do this and I guarantee you will feel a million miles from anywhere!!

• Liked — Private
  • Disliked — A teeny bit run down, A leaky roof
  • Tips/Secrets — If last minute booking more chance of getting in here than resorts off Viti Levu
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

My husband and I travelled to Namale Resort and Spa for our honeymoon and it was an unforgettable experience, a perfect beginning for our lives together. We had a phenomenal time! I will always remember, " It's Kava Time!!!" And, you will too once you visit the resort!

My husband and I have been to Bora Bora, Bali, several Hawaiian Islands and have stayed at 5 star resorts in each of these places. At Namale, I felt the accomdations were very clean, modern, and comfortable. Upon my return, I experienced a unique sense of wellness incomparable to the other islands that we have visited.

I still dream of the natural beauty surrrounding the resort. The food was a gastronomical delight. Every meal was organically prepared suiting our individual palates! We felt well taken care of; friendly staff members waited with us for our plane and made sure we made all of our connections. We didn't have TV or air conditioning but we quickly adjusted. Instead, we listened to the sounds of the ocean and the temperate weather cooled us down at night. The entire experience felt like a dream and I often return to it in my sleep!

There are so many activities to do at the resort that we were exhausted by dark. There is water skiing, bike riding, hiking, a gym, the scuba diving, snorkelling, swimming, and an entertainment room called the Kava Bowl.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We had our wedding/honeymoon at Namale the first week in August and stayed in one of the deluxe honeymoon bures ("Rosi"). I couldn't recommend this place more (and no, I'm not a travel agent or anything, just an accountant/lawyer from NY!)

I can't speak for the rest of the bures, but we had the most amazing view, three decks, a private (albeit rocky) beach, a plunge pool, a jaccuzzi and even a pool table. The place was just so beautiful, I was actually teary eyed when it was time to leave. Even Namale's website, which has terrific photos, does not do this place justice. Spa treatments (you pay extra for) were excellent and the staff was really so friendly. Somehow, every staff member (and there are so many) knew our names and always had a smile or a laugh for us. When we arrived, my then fiance had a really horrible stiff neck, which the staff noticed right away. He was promptly sent off to the spa where they gave him a complimentary treatment, which was so thoughtful. Plus, now that we're back I have to stop myself from saying Bula to everyone I see.

There are alot of activities, and although we didn't really take advantage of too many of them (we just holed up in our bure most of the time) we saw that lots of the couples did. As for the diving - I'm not a diver, and only my husband took the dive, but he was very happy with it. I thought the food was very good and the wait staff was wonderful. Definitely try to get to dinner early for Kava and the Namale band - you get to know the band and they are a blast.

I would definitely recommend upgrading to the deluxe honeymoon bure, though, because that made the trip for us. Many of the other bures are closer to the main dining room, pools and dive shop, but this one was just so amazing. One of the staff members joked to us about a couple who stayed for two weeks and asked for all of their meals to be delivered because they just couldn't see leaving Rosi. It is a pretty far walk, but there was always a Bula cart to ask us if we needed a ride.

We were lucky to have perfect weather for the majority of our trip, which makes all the difference. Namale has this (somewhat over the top) entertainment center called the Kava bowl, which we really didn't need to use, but is kind of a trip to see in the middle of Fiji

We're already thinking about when we'll return. Hopefully we'll be back for our 5th anniversary (it might take that much time to save up the money! Whew!)

• Liked — Views, Staff, Bure
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Agoura Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

We just returned from our stay at Namale. I have to say this place is truly amazing. The service and the people along with the absolutely beautiful surroundings make it a 5-star resort. Our bure was right above the beautiful beach. We just walked down the steps from our balcony onto the grass and down to the beach. The beach has so much coral and shells with hermit crabs by the water that you need to wear flip-flops. But higher near the lounge chairs you do not. Because of the coral reef right in front of the beach, you cannot really swim there. However, there is a swimming hole on the beach you can swim and snorkel in. For me, this did not really matter. We loved walking the beach and looking at the amazing sea life in the tide pools. There are two pools if you want to swim. You can also arrange to have a picnic lunch anywhere on the property. We loved the one in the cabana on the beach. It was so romantic and beautiful. The resort is very private and there are not a lot of people staying there. The spa is amazing. We did the couples massage and even though it was kind of expensive, it was definately worth it. The food was terrific and the drinks were great. They serve the top of the line champagne and wines. We sat in the jacuzzi one afternoon and went through 4 or 5 bottles of expensive french champagne with a few other couples we met. I would love to return someday.

San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week in Namale. Let me just warn you about a couple of things. Most of the reviews posted here appear to by Namale or travel agents.

Although the grounds and staff are nice. The dive shop and food/wine are absolutely horrible and not at all what you would expect in this price range.

We were expecting 5 star cuisine. What we got were average meals with ingredients that tasted second rate or spoiled. For example: beef burgers that appeared to have no beef in them, only filler. "Seared" tuna that was actually some second-rate tuna that was fully cooked. The list goes on and on. To top it off - At least half-a-dozen guests we spoke with left with food poisining as we did.

Wine
Sure. You can drink whatever you like but disregard what the web site says. The wines are all dirt-cheap, unknown, Australian and American wines.

Dive Shop
Let's not even go there. They are knowingly providing divers with bad air. The air is smells bad and any experienced diver will tell you that is an absolute no no. They refused to address this concern and merely stated that they would require an update to their compressor to improve the air.
Management

The Fijians on staff were great and friendly and tried to help. Management was another story. They were condescending, rude, and refused to address any complaints.
In a nutshell - DO NOT GO TO NAMALE. CHOOSE ANOTHER PLACE IN FIJI.

• Stayed June 2006
, Manager at Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2006
In response to World Traveller's comments dated 4 July 2006. It is always disappointing to have a dissatisfied customer, as the whole team here at Namale works extremely hard and understands the distances people travel and money they pay to stay with us. We feel privileged that people make the choice over so many destinations to be at Namale.
Unfortunately, it was quite wet during this time and I truly believe this had a big bearing on World Traveller's experience. Other guests here during that period gave me great feedback on the food, wine, diving and spa. Anyone considering a stay with us I would be happy to share all of these comments with you. I addressed each and every issue from World Traveller and attempted to rectify each concern but to no avail. We take the utmost care and professionalism in our dive facility and food and beverage outlets and again, consistently receive great feedback. Thankyou for taking the time to read both sides of the story.
Danielle, Resort Manager.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

My husband and I just got married at Namale. I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful it was. Namale is a beautiful resort. The flowers, plants and trees were unbelievable, the animal life was so much fun and the people.. well the Fijian people as a whole, both at the resort and in the villages.. I just cannot say enough good things!! They are the friendliest, warmest, most genuinely sweet people I have ever met.

Our wedding day was absolutely incredible. Every detail was taken care of. We opted for the traditional Fijian wedding package and I would tell anyone wondering which to choose that it is ABSOLUTELY worth the extra cost. My only suggestion to those thinking of getting married here, would be to scope out the place and pick places that you definitely want pictures ahead of time, because on the wedding day we ran out of time and didn't get pictures everywhere we would have liked.

We were fortunate enough to arrive at Namale on the same day as four other couples and we had such a great time with all of them. We truly felt like we had all of our friends right there with us!!

Although in the hot season, having A/C in the bures would have been nice on some days, this was a small thing in light of the many great things. Namale (but Fiji in and of itself as well) is an amazing and wonderful place and I would definitely recommend it! We will be back!

Been to Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!