“AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
Canberra
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This review is long overdue as we stayed at Namale August 2012.

I did so much research about Fiji and found it difficult to know what was good and what wasn't as there are so many mixed reviews out there. I am so grateful we stumbled across Namale. I have never, and probably will never, stay somewhere so beautiful - this includes the resort, the staff and Savusavu.

My husband and I went for my 40th birthday and our wedding anniversary. Once we had booked we realised that there was a Tony Robbins seminar on and were advised to avoid Namale during these seminars. I was a little worried however, once we arrived, we found out we had the place to ourselves (the seminar group came and went for meals etc) but we were the only 'guests' at the place for a few days which was lovely.

We stayed in the Civa Villa - WOW. It was so big and hard to believe it was all ours. We had a huge pool, a bedroom and lounge, a dressing room, a dining room, one bathroom at one end of the villa (inclusive of an outdoor shower) and another bathroom with an outdoor shower and toilet at the other end of the villa. The bed was so comfortable with a sweet message each morning after housekeeping had left. The deck around the pool is huge and I spent lots of time in the sun with a good book and bottle of champagne there. We had a projector in our room with an endless array of movies to watch in the evening. Cocktails could be ordered and were brought to our room - all it takes is a phone call. We could have breakfast, lunch or dinner in our room, at a waterfall, by the ocean or at the main bure whenever we liked. I couldn't order enough coconut water there. It was beautiful. The food was sensational. I could go on and on about the facilities and what you can have there however, many reviews have covered this and I think sometimes it is nice to have a few surprises.

My husband and I used the spa which was gorgeous. We had a couples massage. I highly recommend this. Once we were finished we went back to our villa, we showered and were picked up and whisked away to a cave for a candlelight seafood dinner. WOW!

One morning we walked up to the main bure for breakfast and were told that we couldn't eat there as they were getting it ready for Tony Robbins group. We were a little upset by this as we felt we were top paying guests and had not been informed of this (plus we looked forward to sitting there each morning overlooking the views of the ocean and the tropics), but once again, the Namale staff went straight to action and prepared us a beautiful breakfast in another area of the resort and told us we could plan whatever we wanted for lunch and dinner and they would take care of the details. How can you even care about such a trivial matter when the staff go out of their way to make it up to you. They are so beautiful. Namale is so big and there is so much to do that it didn't even matter and we were well attended to by the staff. And this brings me onto the most important part of my review - the staff and management.......
I have never met a happier more friendly bunch of people than the Fijians. I could pack up my belongings tomorrow and move to Fiji. They live such a simple life yet are always so positive, happy and friendly. The staff at Namale are like family to Ben and I and we miss them so much. Bill and his wife Nowdla are so kind. Nowdla spoke to us on several occasions and always checked we were having a good time. She is lovely. Each and every one of the staff are amazing, Big Milli (you beautiful kind lady), Little Milli (such a sweetheart and couldn't do enough for us), Sam (Sam, you make a mean Mojito - sad I met you on my last day), Rosie (nothing was too hard for you), Billy our van driver (rescued us from a walk back from the waterfall in the stifling heat), Hudson (what an awesome, helpful, fun guy, love you Hudson), Siti (you make a mean cocktail and we will never forget you and how much you made us laugh), Civi (Ben loved his massage and what a great friend you became), Lavenia (you were so kind), Ima (did such a good job with our Villa), Tiko ( funny and friendly and ready to take us anywhere in the golf cart), Filo (I miss you so much and would pack up tomorrow to come and live with you - remember your offer haha), Vili (such a funny guy), Bale and Rosi (nothing was ever too much trouble, you always made sure we were full of good food), Vani (you also make a GOOD drink), Paul (you were a great source of knowledge and an excellent tour guide), the chefs who make the most amazing food I have ever had) and lastly Trevor (you were so sweet, always looking after me with my coconut water and making sure you found the biggest coconut, leaving it in my villa as a surprise for when I got back from dinner). I miss each and every one of you and cannot wait to come back for a reunion. We will never forget you and we will never forget Namale.

I am sure I have left a hundred things out and I am sure I have left some amazing people off my list. It has been 6 months since we visited so forgive my memory. If I wrote a review on each and every wonderful thing about Namale, I would be here for weeks.

I want to keep this incredible resort to myself so no-one else knows about it and it remains exclusive, but how can you do that when some of the most incredible people in the world and one of the most incredible resorts deserve such high praises and recognition.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Jo and Ben,
Bula from Namale - Fiji's #1 Resort and Spa. Thank you for your review and kind words. For us all that call Namale home, Namale is equated with LOVE- as this is what the experience is all about. We are a family that is committed to excellence in the experience, service and care of our guests. Thank you for choosing Namale and for allowing us to look after you both.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Namale back in November 2011 for our honeymoon and i am so glad we chose here, we enjoyed every minute we were there. The staff of the resort are the biggest asset, they all greet you and know you by name from the moment you arrive. The wide range of activies daily, the day spa and facilities the resort offer is excellent or even if you choose to stay by your pool. We were lucky enough to stay in honeymoon bure nancy which has received awards. The Bure was immaculate, bed was comfy and plunge pool on the deck was perfect. We chose to have lunch on our deck a couple of days and at other locations at the resort, dinner we mainly had in the dining room with other guests - it was great chatting with everyone and one night we had our mystery location dinner which was fantastic. We hope one day to come back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Bula and thank you for this review.
Thank you so much for choosing Namale and for staying with us.
We loved the fact that you loved Nanise (Nancy) Bure. It has indeed been voted the Ultimate #1 Honeymoon Suite in Fiji and we are happy that you got to experience this. From the staff to the service to the experiences, we hope that Namale has found a place in your heart. The Namale family also looks forward to having you come stay with us again.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I would rate Namale among the top 10 resorts I stayed in worldwide.19 Bures and over 130 people to serve you! You can't go wrong!

General Manager Bill and his beautiful wife and their enthusiastic, pretty daughters, as well as manager Hudson pay personal attention to all guests and try to listen to what they need and they go an extra mile to make sure that your special needs are met. The staff is incredible and the maintenance of the whole property is exemplary!

We usually try to choose a scenic location for vacation to encourage our teen daughter, who is an author of teen fiction novel to provide stimulating scenic environment. She started on her first novel when we took a vacation at Santorini, It was published just in a few months after that. However, did not write anything since then. Too our joy, we found her working on her second novel while at Namale.

The resort is on ocean and there is a private beach and lagoon. However, they will take you by van to a white sand beach and bigger lagoon if you want to swim. There is a private golf course as well as beautiful natural waterfall. They would arrange a picnic lunch for you anywhere you like. They also arranged a cave candlelight dinner on our daughter's birthday and backed delicious cake for her.

You do not need to pack many clothes as shorts and t-shirts are the only things you need along with swimsuits. The laundry service is at no charge. I wish I knew that, would have traveled lighter.

They had a great celebration for new year with great food,fun and dancing. Every day, they had some activities like Cava Ceremony, visits to villages, Fijian dances, Indian dances which made evenings very eventful.

The resort has many activities such as snorkeling included.A bowling Alley as well as basketball court and tennis and badminton courts made it very wonderful to keep us fit.

The resort may be a little expensive but it is worth every penny. They do not nickle and dime and have inner urge to please you. The drinks are made with quality liquors and wines are good. They will also stuff your minibar with quality drinks and all those are included.

Fijian staff as well as Indo-Fijian staff are extremely courteous and extremely well mannered. We were put in Totoka Bure for first 4 days which had adjacent swimming pool and Tabua bure which was very scenic with bigger privacy. I liked Totoka better because Tabua has design flaws such as open ceiling and deck with no roof and toilet right behind bed with open ceiling. However the privacy it gives overall was great.

The Scuba dive staff Abi, Shiv, Rob are so caring that I wished every resort had some employees like them. Dining staff Sam, Mili and Belli were super servers, two Indian chefs we met cooked special dishes for us and reception staff member Rosy was not just a very efficient staff member but a good dance performer as well as she performed a Fijian dance, Even the van driver Billy created an impression by talking to airport authorities, bringing us back when our the flight was delayed and monitoring the flight delays.

The only drawback and it is not resort's fault is the connection to Savasavu from Nadi. I wish the resort makes some arrangements with transportation companies so that guests do not have to wait for hours at Nadi.

Overall, this is a classy and wonderful experience one should not miss. Kudos to everyone at Namale for making our vacation memorable and wonderful!

Room Tip: While all bures are special, Totoka is next to a swimming pool. They just need to renovate the bathr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Bula and thank you for this lovely review. It warms our heart to know that we are touching the lives of our guests and giving them an opporutnity to experience all that Namale has to offer. Your review has warmed our hearts. Thank you so much for choosing Namale.

Bonaire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at Namale with my husband for our anniversary in September 2012. We are avid divers and snorkelers and chose Namale primarily due to the reputation of the diving and snorkeling in Savusavu.

We were picked up at Savusavu airport promptly by Billy – Namale’s friendly driver. After a 10-minute drive, we arrived at the resort to a chorus of singing voices.

Room/Bure

We checked into the Rosi Bure, which was incredibly spacious and luxuriously appointed. Amenities in Rosi include a pool table, plunge pool, hot tub, rain shower, outdoor shower, private cave (yes, I typed that right), movie screen and projector, two sundecks, mini bar with alcohol inclusive, French press and coffee, room service and I’m sure I’ve forgotten something. If you just wanted to relax, this would be the perfect place.

Food and drink are included at Namale. There is no communal dining, so guests can sit where they desire. The dining bure overlooks the sea, and there are multiple outdoor tables available for private, romantic dinners. I found the food to be quite good, with only a few misses. There are a number of set entrees and a few specials each day. Vegetarians are well catered to. Overall, I was impressed.

Activities (non aquatic)

The resort hosted two-three activities each day. Some were on-site and others were off-property tours. Examples are pearl farm tours, village visits, horseback riding, waterfall visit, golf, etc. Diwali (and Indian holiday) occurred during our stay, and the staff took us to see the fireworks in the village. There was also a henna tattooist on-site to offer mehndi to the female guests and a Diwali feast in the evening.

There is also an activities room with bowling, a gym and other amenities.

One of the other main reasons we chose to stay at Namale was the dolphin viewing via skiff offered by the Resort per the website. While I do not agree with captive dolphin tours, Namale advertises that wild dolphin viewings are available at the resort. There was zero offered during our stay. When we asked about this, we weren’t provided with any real answers. This was extremely disappointing to me.

Spa

Namale’s spa is simply amazing. I had two massage treatments during our stay, and each was great. The spa building is large and luxurious. There is a hydrotherapy room that has a panoramic view of the sea. There are approximately seven pools including a plunge pool, waterfall, hot tub and aromatherapy pools (each with different relaxing scents). The staff will deliver lunch or drinks to this room (all complimentary). This is one of the nicest spas I have visited.

Grounds

Namale is a very large resort, which encompasses an entire peninsula. Some of the bure’s are a 15-minute walk to the dining area. The resort offers a golf cart ride service, which is helpful (The Bula Cart). The grounds were beautifully manicured, with lots of tropical flora and coco palms.

Namale has a pretty “beach” area, however, I was quite disappointed to find out that it is not swimmable. I am a water person through and through. For me personally, it’s almost akin to torture to stare at a tropical sea and have no access to swim or snorkel in it. The views at the beach area and from the above decks and spa are really beautiful, but I felt really let down that I couldn’t enter the water anywhere.

The employees at Namale are really special. The friendliness of the Fijians is known to travelers around the world. They greet you by name and sincerely want to make your stay memorable. Namale will cater to your every need. The managers and their daughters are very good at what they do. You may see them in the office area or in the dining bure at dinner. They are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Diving and Snorkeling

This is where we were SERIOUSLY let down. While the Divemasters were very nice and helpful, my husband encountered a situation that was nearly frightening (and he is an extremely experienced diver with over 400 dives). His first (and only) dive was with the dive shop manager and two inexperienced divers and two snorkelers. The boat took off from the dock with no safety briefing. They arrived at the dive site and there was no dive profile briefing! The dive shop manager then offered for my husband to dive on his own from the boat with no briefing and no buddy. Needless to say, my husband lost all confidence with the operation immediately. On this same day, I intended to snorkel, unfortunately, there was no snorkel boat tour offered, and I also learned the hard way that there was no shore snorkeling (after I was promised that shore snorkeling was available at Namale). Two VERY major issues for us.

So in the end, while we went to Namale to dive and snorkel, my husband had a total of two dives and I was able to snorkel one time. I will say that the snorkel was excellent and the guides, who were Namale Divemasters, were really good.

In Namale’s defense, the general manager contacted us to inquire about the dive experience after we wrote about it on the exit survey. It is clear to us that the manager’s really care about guest satisfaction. This was a very strange experience, since every other element of the resort is top-quality. I expect that the managers have already taken action to remedy the issues at the dive operation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that after Italy I’d sworn off long distance air travel. The 36 hour trip from Florida seemed daunting. But I’m always up for a Vacation and especially when it’s as exotic as Fiji! Let me start by saying the trip was a piece of cake! 3 different airlines, (all with on time arrivals and departures) lengthy layovers etc… well worth it! With today’s technology the time goes quickly.

Arriving at Namale, you are greeted with the most gracious staff welcoming you with flowers and a song. You instantly are aware that you are in a special place. The landscaping is lush and abounding with an incredible jungle of palms and flowers. Each Bure is tucked away for the ultimate in privacy. Ours happened to have an infinity edge pool with a view of the Koro Sea, a Jacuzzi tub, indoor and outdoor showers a private dining room and a movie screen. It was gorgeous. To further make our arrival special, they had made signs with our names on them and placed them on our door along with flowers on the mats to welcome us.

Everyday, there were new activities. We did a bridge jump into a river , hiked up and swam in a waterfall, learned to paddleboard, snorkeled on the most active and colorful reef I’ve ever seen, visited nearby Village and attended the exceptionally festive New Year’s Party and spent a day at the Spa. Each day we asked ourselves what has been our favorite day so far and each day the answer was the same… they were all the best but very different. This is the perfect place to stay busy or completely relax. You literally walk around and feel like the whole resort has been reserved only for you and we were there at a time when the property was full.

The staff at this property is superior to any hotel I’ve ever visited. They are so genuine and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and attend to your every need. I could write a book about how fantastic this place is and how kind the staff was. But I won’t bore you with every detail… I’ll leave you with this… go see for yourself! It’s worth the trip!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NamaleResort, Guest Relations Manager at Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Bula and thank you for this lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your Namale experience and that the New Years festivities that we arranged was a memorable one. We love nothing more than to create magical experiences so thank you for giving us an opportunity to weave some magic into your lives during your stay at Namale.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went for a week, stayed for a month- that's how absolutely magical this resort is.

The villas are absolutely incredible- luxurious, large rooms, shaded cabana lounges, decks and private pools right over the ocean. These are the lavish accommodations you usually only see in magazines!

The spa is an experience in itself; The rooms have a truly relaxing, zen atmosphere with a free flowing waterfall and walls of windows overlooking the Fiji oceanfront. Absolutely breathtaking. The spa menu itself is a treat with Fiji culture mixed into treatments and local products used. If you don't usually go to spas on your vacations, this would be a great place to start!

Room Tip: The Dream Hut is really something- book early if you want this and feel confident that it's wort...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bula and thank you for your review. We love the fact that you love our Fijian home and our family. We stive to enrich the lives of our guests in every aspect of their stay. Namale is truly a special place for the more discerning traveler. Thank you for staying longer than you anticipated! We trust that you had an magical and memorable experience.

Guest Services Manager
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you're debating whether to go there or not...and presumably it may be because of the steep price (but you can manage it in your budget otherwise you wouldn't be reading the reviews on tripadvisor)...3 words - JUST DO IT. My husband and I contemplated the same thing...is it really worth the price...and undeniably the answer is YES. It will be the trip of a lifetime. You will likely never experience a place or people like this paradise offiers.
Nothing is too difficult for the staff..
Nothing is too much to ask for.
We had an amazing 6 night honeymoon...snorkeling, sailing, paddleboarding (awesome!), Spa services galore (even more amazing), a different scene of heaven at every meal (they literally set up everythign for you - and your man gets all the credit for "settign it up" :--) -overlooking the beach, in a cave, on your deck, on a boat, on another beach, in front of the blowwhole, next to your own outdoor jacuzzi on the water, etc.etc.
I seriously could go on and on about this place...and it's tranquility, romance, and fun.
But like any good review, I have to at least note a few imperfections right? Or in this case, more a warning to the traveler who like luxury to still come here but keep in mind certain things: mosquitoes are seriously so rampant here (I literally hosed myself down in bugspray every single time I went outside - the resort of course provides an endless supply which was nice - by 2nd day had a bottle on the table ready at every meal for me :--), accomodations are amazing but the toilet looked a little aged , and the golf simulator broke a lot.
OK folks, so if that is the extent of my complaint -moquitoes, aged tpilets, and golf simulator not working...you've got to be kidding me right?
What are you waiting for?
GO!!!
BULAAAAAAA!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula and thank you for choosing Namale. We are delighted that we were able to host your honeymoon and look after you and your partner. Team Namale strives to touch the hearts of our guests and ensure that we light up their lives in every aspect of their stay. We are family that is committed to offering happy and enjoyable memories - that will last a life time. Thank you for giving us this opportunity.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!