“Koro Sun Fiji” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

You added Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa to your Saves list
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Hibiscus Highway, Savusavu, Vanua Levu 00000, Fiji   |
Call Hotel:
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
San Diego, California, United States
“Koro Sun Fiji”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a beautiful resort in Savusavu, Fiji. The resort resides on both sides of the highway (little traffic) and spreads all the way up to the top of the mountain. The view from the owners residence is so amazing. The resort has several options for lodging and are in the middle of adding more bures / apartments. The dive shop is moving to a new building and they are adding more lodging on both sides of the street. The existing villa and bures are very nice, older but clean, a/c, and spectacular views. The common area where you would dine is open and very nice. There is a small theater room as well and wifi throughout the resort although it is not free.
The food is excellent and the diving is really very nice as well. There are some great dive sites very close to the resort as well. The staff is great and the property is well managed by Ty and his staff. It is a higher valued property but well worth the cost. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: any of the room options are going to be good. I likes the 2 bedroom bures on top of the hill the bes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a somewhat discerning traveler...not in terms of luxury and bells & whistles but service and ambiance are two factors that can really make or break a vacation or business trip for me. Koro Sun exceeded my expectations and left me feeling incredibly sad to depart after just 4 nights. Why? upon arrival and greeting with a fresh coconut and foot bath I was escorted to an airy Edgewater villa with a beautiful waterfront view and access. The accommodations were just icing on the cake however, within 30 minutes it seemed every staff member knew my name and was attentive without hovering - i have not met such a happy and warm crew in most of my travels, and it is infectious! The property is nestled amongst a beautiful rainforest canopy and has a relaxed and comfortable version of luxury from the lobby spaces to the accommodations. The cuisine was fresh, well prepared and delicious (also never repetitive) - if you get lucky like i did you'll have fresh caught fish most days! The activities available (and the eager activity guides!) offer both fun, culture and relaxation - from yoga, paddle boarding and waterfalls hikes to a pearl farm tour and flower arranging. My faves: Pearl Farm Tour, Banana Leaf Wrap & massage at the magical Rainforest Spa, waking up to the sunrise from my bed, Meke night and cocktails at a Mountain Top Villa with incredible views and star gazing. This is an excellent property for families, friends and romance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful stay, truly relaxing, amazing staff they really open their hearts n it feels like family , totally amazing with the kids , we have three girls and they wanted to be in kids club more than hang out with us, a true testorment to how great they all are! The food is amazing and service you couldn't ask for more! Their is so much to do the daily activities are full interesting and fun. And you only need ask once if u require extra anything! We recommend the edgewater rooms their perfect ! We recommend this to anyone who wants to have a great holiday being as relaxed or busy as u want it to be. Thanx again to all the koro sun staff hope to see you all again soon. Love Amy, Wiremu and girls kiara trinity and awatea xo miss u all xx

• Stayed March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband of 30 years surprised me with a week at koro sun. What a great surprise the location was perfect for spending quality time with each other, the casual yet well considered atmosphere was lovely. From meeting local villagers, snorkelling swimming at the waterfall to having a romantic dinner for two in the rainforest serenaded by the resort quartet. A memorable and delightful experience

• Stayed September 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our trip to Savusavu was intended to be a business trip and the Koro Sun was an abitrary selection for lodging. From the initial arrival experience throughout the 2 week stay, the Koro Sun transformed from a place to stay to one of the best holidays we have experienced. The staff and management were very accommodating and created a very warm environment along with the Koro property and configuration nested into the circumference of a rainforest. The main property flanks the main road; however the beach is a mere short walk. If beachfront is desired, there are Koro Sun villas available for the beach and water experience. I will add that the massage service amongst the waterfall backdrop was outstanding.

I will definitely return to the Koro Sun on our next trip. Thanks to Jack Young and his Fiji team for a home away from home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Suva, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've lived in Fiji for nearly two years now. Throughout my time here, I've been traveling around to the various cities, villages, islands, and resorts; basically diving my way through Fiji.

The Koro Sun is, without a doubt, the nicest, most accommodating, and highest value hotel I've stayed at in my time. I normally travel around Fiji alone (being single); but this trip I took with a fellow diver and colleague from work, so it was interesting to see the small changes that come with resort-travel with multiple people.

The number-one stand-out at the resort was the staff. Within about 2 hours of being there; all the staff knew our names and were always genuinely happy to see us and chat with us. It is so refreshing, anywhere in the world, to be at a place where the staff really like their work, are happy to see their guests be happy, and go FAR out of their way to ensure the trip is enjoyable. Even going beyond their routine duties at the resort….they were more than willing to make reservations around town for other things for us to do…totally outside of the resort’s income/planning, they double checked our departure times with the ferry line and gave us a *really* late (after 5:00 p.m.) check-out to match the departure time.

The food at the resort was nothing short of fantastic. I’ve read other TripAdvisor reviews that seemed less than thrilled about the food; but I’m not sure why. Each meal was very well cooked, presented with 4-star restaurant artistry, and so filling that even I couldn’t finish my plate more often than not (which is pretty shocking…I’m a foodie and not a light eater by any stretch). The dinner menus change nightly with options to please all 3 main dietary types: Carnivore (red meat), Pescetarian (fish), and Vegetarian. Always served with small side salads, appetizers, and great deserts! (The apple-tart was positively fantastic).

The Bures (rooms) were all very well kept, clean, and modern. Our two-bedroom ocean-view bure had A/C in each bedroom, a very roomy living room, patio that was great for watching sunsets, even an outdoor rainfall shower. Though we didn’t spend much time in the bure (why stay in the room when there’s diving, beach-life, and all sorts of things to do?)…they were great. The other bures at the resort all seemed similarly appointed; quite a few of them even having private “plunge pools” (8x8 foot square, 5-foot deep mini-pools) for a refreshing cool-down in the evening.

I would be remiss if I did not also mention the Rainforest Spa. Located a 10 minute drive (bus provided by the resort) and a 5 minute walk into the rainforest…it was idyllic. My traveling buddy and I both booked massages, and I must say that I was in a little slice of heaven (mostly…see the negatives section below). The Spa is situated right next to a small river (large stream?) with numerous waterfalls giving a totally tranquil, relaxing, and natural sound and smell to the entire experience. No need for the traditional ‘plinky-plunky’ massage music you find at most Spas…the natural sounds of the forest, river, and waterfalls was sublime. The therapists were well trained, professional, and really worked out the back and neck kinks that had been lingering after a 13-hour ferry ride from the main island of Fiji four days earlier. The Spa has a full shower, restroom, and change facility as well; allowing for a nice clean-up after the thoroughly enjoyable treatment.

Though I’ll be doing a full review on their own TripAdvisor site, I do want to give a quick note on how particularly wonderful the KoroSun Dive shop was as well. Colin, Jeanine, and their whole team comprise one of the best dive outfits I’ve ever had the pleasure to SCUBA with. If you’re a diver, please check out my review of them, found on TripAdvisor under the name KoroSun Dive {note that in the Dive Shop’s name there is no space in ‘KoroSun’…made it a bit hard for me to find on TA.)

Finding anything negative to say about the Koro Sun is rather difficult. I truly enjoyed my time there, but I also fully believe that nothing is perfect and some ‘down-sides’ are always beneficial to any review. The cellular coverage around the resort was really poor; so neither my tablet nor my cellphone had internet connectivity during the whole trip (yes, I know that the resort can’t be fully blamed for the telecom coverage). That said, the resort did have hardline internet and hotel-wide WiFi……that they charge for. I have always hated hotels that charge for internet in the modern day and age…I think it seems cheap and opportunistic. Even personally knowing the costs of providing internet in Fiji (I work in telecom…that’s what I’ve been doing here for the last two years); I really think that an upscale resort like this should provide it for free. Beyond that, there was no parking in the resort; admittedly most of their clientele arrives by ferry/plane and the resort offers them pickup service in the resort-owned bus…but some internal parking would be nice. They were nice enough to let me park on the grass by the volleyball court…but…it just seemed odd. One note on the spa, when my traveling buddy and I booked massages at the Spa…they insisted on using only one room at the spa to massage us both. A little awkward to say the least; I always prefer spa treatments to be private. Lastly, I do need to mention the one downside to the bure…the matresses were solid as stones, and the pillows about as thick and fluffy as a ream of paper….though sleep was easy due to the exhaustion that comes from spending 12 hours in the sun, diving, and hiking….be ready for stiff beds and potentially rough sleep. As I said, the few things I found negative about the resort were so minor as to be totally inconsequential to most people and they did not even measure up enough for me to not give the Koro Sun a full 5-point mark.

I would fully recommend this resort to anyone staying on Vanua Levu; the service, experience, raw beauty, and overall value cannot be beat by anyone throughout Fiji.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TyGoulter, Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Bula Guys,

Thanks for the great review.
Negatives are of course very useful, so thank you for the feedback.
We are looking into doing something with the wireless in the main clubhouse but as you know some things in Fiji are easier to organise than others.
I will also check all the pillows and mattresses during our monthly maintenance inspections and look into replacing any that are sub par as you described.
It was great to have you here and Jenia & I wish you all the best for your Russia posting.
Slightly different weather patterns I'm afraid mate!
So out with the Bula shirts, shorts and thongs and in with the long pants, scarfs, fluffy socks and thick jackets!!
At least you will still be able to use your sunnies, especially in winter!!
Make sure to get up north when you get the chance and see the northern lights, you will never forget them.

Dasvadanya e oudache.
Goodbye and good luck.

Ty Goulter
Resort General Manager
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

From the Tui Tai, we arrived at Koro Sun for a day/night before leaving Fiji for our return home. What a wonderful resort, with such friendly staff! We all enjoyed our stay, the pool and the water slide!!! Thank you, thank you! We will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!