I read many, many, trip reports while making plans for our Fiji vacation and then many more for Koro Sun when we decided to book our trip to the resort. I also “liked” them on facebook to get some information on the resort while we were waiting for our trip. We booked our trip in February and didn’t travel until November, so I have quite a bit of time to plan and prepare. This was much farther than we usually travel, but thanks to our travel agent Marcy and Pleasant Holidays, the trip went very well. We had a 4 hour car ride, 4 hour plane ride, layover in LAX, then trip to Fiji and finally the domestic flight to Savusavu.
Many have commented on the staff, the wonderful spa, and beautiful grounds, I am going to try to comment on things that others didn’t for the most part. I really didn’t know which type of room to book and we ended up upgrading to the Raintree villas and we’re happy we did. It’s difficult to book without actually seeing the differences, and there are several different types. The Edgewater villas are very nice, but also pricey. The treetop villa would have been many steps, I think I counted 46. The Raintree villas were a little distance to walk, but they had a plunge pool and nice porch. The inside was very roomy, there than the bathroom which was pretty small. But we did have an extra sink in the kitchen. There was lots of storage space, tea and instant coffee. There was no coffee maker in the room. They are working on fixing up the Raintree villas, they will be even nicer. I am happy we went with this room.
They had golf umbrellas for your use and it rains a lot in the rainforest, so you’ll probably need one. I also brought a small purse umbrella which also came in handy. It did rain almost every day, but most of the time it didn’t last long. The room we stayed in did not have a clock, radio or CD player. I brought our iPod and docking station with an adapter and it was nice to have. We also had down-loaded several movies on our iPod and one night we watched a movie in our room. There was no drying rack in the room, which would be nice as there are always a wet suit, etc. I requested an iron and ironing board and I was able to keep it for the week. Bug spray was available and I also brought some with. Spray your legs every night and you should be OK. One night I forgot and I got a few bites. We had no problem in the room with critters. Others have commented on towel, toiletries, etc. shortage. We always had plenty and extras were left in the room. Beach towels were available by the pool.
As others have commented, the people really make the vacation, the staff, owners, and guests were great and we enjoyed everyone’s company. You are treated like family. Don’t miss the waterfall trip. The grounds are beautiful, kayaks and bicycles are at your disposal. A trip to town is inexpensive. We enjoyed taking the kayaks to the raft anchored off shore. From there is an easy swim to a great snorkeling area.
There was quite a bit of talk about drink and snacks in the reviews. I brought a few snacks, but honestly we had trouble finishing our meals. The drink prices were from$8-16 Fiji currency and that was for watermelon martinis and passion fruit margaritas, Vonu beer was $7. The bartender, Fisal, was great! We did not find drink prices unreasonable. It is possible to go to town and stock up in your room as others have mentioned.
Good water shoes are a must, we walked around Bat Island and the surface is jagged rocks. The golf course was also very wet and other shoes would not work.
We arrived at 8:30 Am and left the resort at 2:30 PM. Our room was ready when we arrived and we could stay in our room until the time we left the resort. This was greatly appreciated, we did not get charged extra for meals prior to the normal check-in time. We left the resort at 2:30 and drive a few miles to the Savusavu airport for a small connecting flight the flight left at 4:30. We had a long haul ahead, it seems like we wouldn’t have to sit there for that long. We were given great advice about the Nadi airport; as most we had several hours there before our flight. If you are taking the 10:30 flight to LAX, get in line at 6:30 PM. You’ll be one of the first to check your bags. Then take the shuttle and your carry-ons to the hotel across the street. It is the Raffles Gateway and we had a fantastic meal there, this was a great tip. Come back around 9:15 PM with still lots of time to go through security. This was a great tip.
All in all this was a wonderful trip. We feel that we got to see the real Fiji. We were able to go to a church service and drink kava with the band. I will never forget singing “Jingle Bells” with the children from the village on the way to the waterfall. This is not a cookie cutter resort; it is a real cultural experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our northern unspoiled location offers you the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Fijian people, beautiful lush tropical surroundings, and warm, impossibly clear waters. In a remote setting that defines paradise, Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa immerses you in a genuine Fijian experience that's nirvana to the core. In the unspoiled native north on "Fiji's other big island" of Vanua Levu, this 160-acre sanctuary was born of a nature lover's dream. The tropical retreat is etched within a coconut plantation that's encircled by lush rainforests at the edge of a stunning private lagoon. From the moment you arrive, the Koro Sun staff embraces you like family. They greet you with a song that welcomes you to your home away from home. Certainly, the Fijians are known around the globe for being the most warm and friendly islands on earth.That hospitality - coupled with our diverse accommodations and recreation - has made Fiji's Koro Sun Resort an international favorite for relaxing holidays, active family vacations and magical romantic getaways. You may experience the latter in our brand new Edgewater Bures, with lagoon front location. Our 43 private bures and villas are spacious, individually appointed decor and fully air-conditioned. Your stay is all-inclusive - from airport transfers to bountiful gourmet fare and a flurry of non-motorized water sport activities. Beverages are additional. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koro Sun Hotel Savusavu
- Koro Sun Resort All Inclusive
- Koro Sun Resort And Rainforest Spa Fiji/Savusavu