“Wonderful Cultural Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

You added Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa to your Saves list
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Hibiscus Highway, Savusavu, Vanua Levu 00000, Fiji   |
Call Hotel:
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
NE Wisconsin
“Wonderful Cultural Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I read many, many, trip reports while making plans for our Fiji vacation and then many more for Koro Sun when we decided to book our trip to the resort. I also “liked” them on facebook to get some information on the resort while we were waiting for our trip. We booked our trip in February and didn’t travel until November, so I have quite a bit of time to plan and prepare. This was much farther than we usually travel, but thanks to our travel agent Marcy and Pleasant Holidays, the trip went very well. We had a 4 hour car ride, 4 hour plane ride, layover in LAX, then trip to Fiji and finally the domestic flight to Savusavu.
Many have commented on the staff, the wonderful spa, and beautiful grounds, I am going to try to comment on things that others didn’t for the most part. I really didn’t know which type of room to book and we ended up upgrading to the Raintree villas and we’re happy we did. It’s difficult to book without actually seeing the differences, and there are several different types. The Edgewater villas are very nice, but also pricey. The treetop villa would have been many steps, I think I counted 46. The Raintree villas were a little distance to walk, but they had a plunge pool and nice porch. The inside was very roomy, there than the bathroom which was pretty small. But we did have an extra sink in the kitchen. There was lots of storage space, tea and instant coffee. There was no coffee maker in the room. They are working on fixing up the Raintree villas, they will be even nicer. I am happy we went with this room.
They had golf umbrellas for your use and it rains a lot in the rainforest, so you’ll probably need one. I also brought a small purse umbrella which also came in handy. It did rain almost every day, but most of the time it didn’t last long. The room we stayed in did not have a clock, radio or CD player. I brought our iPod and docking station with an adapter and it was nice to have. We also had down-loaded several movies on our iPod and one night we watched a movie in our room. There was no drying rack in the room, which would be nice as there are always a wet suit, etc. I requested an iron and ironing board and I was able to keep it for the week. Bug spray was available and I also brought some with. Spray your legs every night and you should be OK. One night I forgot and I got a few bites. We had no problem in the room with critters. Others have commented on towel, toiletries, etc. shortage. We always had plenty and extras were left in the room. Beach towels were available by the pool.
As others have commented, the people really make the vacation, the staff, owners, and guests were great and we enjoyed everyone’s company. You are treated like family. Don’t miss the waterfall trip. The grounds are beautiful, kayaks and bicycles are at your disposal. A trip to town is inexpensive. We enjoyed taking the kayaks to the raft anchored off shore. From there is an easy swim to a great snorkeling area.
There was quite a bit of talk about drink and snacks in the reviews. I brought a few snacks, but honestly we had trouble finishing our meals. The drink prices were from$8-16 Fiji currency and that was for watermelon martinis and passion fruit margaritas, Vonu beer was $7. The bartender, Fisal, was great! We did not find drink prices unreasonable. It is possible to go to town and stock up in your room as others have mentioned.
Good water shoes are a must, we walked around Bat Island and the surface is jagged rocks. The golf course was also very wet and other shoes would not work.
We arrived at 8:30 Am and left the resort at 2:30 PM. Our room was ready when we arrived and we could stay in our room until the time we left the resort. This was greatly appreciated, we did not get charged extra for meals prior to the normal check-in time. We left the resort at 2:30 and drive a few miles to the Savusavu airport for a small connecting flight the flight left at 4:30. We had a long haul ahead, it seems like we wouldn’t have to sit there for that long. We were given great advice about the Nadi airport; as most we had several hours there before our flight. If you are taking the 10:30 flight to LAX, get in line at 6:30 PM. You’ll be one of the first to check your bags. Then take the shuttle and your carry-ons to the hotel across the street. It is the Raffles Gateway and we had a fantastic meal there, this was a great tip. Come back around 9:15 PM with still lots of time to go through security. This was a great tip.
All in all this was a wonderful trip. We feel that we got to see the real Fiji. We were able to go to a church service and drink kava with the band. I will never forget singing “Jingle Bells” with the children from the village on the way to the waterfall. This is not a cookie cutter resort; it is a real cultural experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Director of Sales at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
It was a pleasure to meet you Bonnie, and share some great laughs over dinner. Thank you very much for the thorough review, and great tips you offered to future guests! I was happy to hear you took advantage of the Raffles Gateway pool and shower vouchers while waiting for your flight back home. It really makes the last few hours in Fiji more enjoyable that sitting at the airport.

A few points that I wanted to share with future travelers, is that the Raintree Bures are in the process of being upgraded to include covered plunge pools, with day beds along the veranda on each bure. We have completed one, as of December 7th, and expect to finish all Raintree Bures by March.

Thanks to our Wisconsin friends, we hope to see you both again someday!

Merlyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was one of the best places we've ever visited! I have found that i hate commercialized resorts but Koro Sun was very authentic for me. We stayed in a Sea View Burre which was was like a 2 bedroom suite. Very clean with fresh flowers. Make sure to bring an outlet adaptor if you're from US. The views are wonderful! It's a short but steep walk to these Burres so if you don't like that kind of exertion the Garden Burres are also close to the restaurant but with no strain. The Koro Sun offers many tours, and we went on most except the dolphin tour. Bat Island, snorkeling, water fall, pearl farm, and town tours were great. There's also a convenient dive shop next door. Koro Suns private beach with hanging beds was divine! The staff was awesome, so friendly, and welcoming, and ready to play volleyball! We would definitely go back to visit again.

Room Tip: Sea View Burres have great views but short steep walk. Garden Burres don't have view but are eas...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review Margaret, and staying with us in our little piece of Paradise!
We do have three (Two Bedroom Ocean View) bures located along the lower path of the resort, for guests who want to skip the hill. Please simply just put a request in at the time of booking! We are happy to announce our day bed cushions have all been replaced this month with fresh new covers. Thanks and vinaka for your review.

Merlyn
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

In researching locations and resorts to spend our 10th anniversary, we chose Fiji because of its laid-back reputation. We chose the island of Savusavu because of its more authentic nature. We chose the Koro Sun because it wasn't a large commercialized resort. And, we weren't disappointed. Our stay was wonderful! We truly got a chance to unplug from life back home and get absorbed into "Fiji Time."

We wanted "authentic Fiji" and were not surprised or put out by the bugs, geckos, mongoose, or frogs. They're all part of the landscape and part of what makes Fiji so special.

There were enough activities to keep you busy...kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, biking, excursions (highly recommend the waterfall), volleyball, etc. There were enough secluded venues to keep you relaxed....poolside cabanas, private beach, secluded beach, spa. There were enough wonderful people to keep you entertained...meeting and spending time with other vacationers. Not to mention the folks who worked at the resort were warm, welcoming and friendly...always greeted by our first names as if we had been been friends for years.

Any minor issues we had during our stay were quickly and quietly fixed by an efficient staff headed up by Arnold. Speaking of staff, the activity guys, John, Romano, and Ben were outstanding. So knowledgeable and patient. The bartender, Faisal, makes a mean cocktail. Feel free to ask him to go off menu as he has some clever concoctions is his repertoire. Mela gives an amazing massage and banana leaf wrap. We're threatening to return yearly just for her treatment. Mili and her serving staff were always friendly and on top of every detail. How they remember each guest and their individual specifics is a wonder. A special shout out to Onie for creating a nice, romantic getaway for us. Geeta in the gift shop was very accommodating. If she didn't have it, she'd go into town and get for you. Truly, there are too many wonderful folks to mention each one by name. Suffice it to say, you'll be taken care of.

We highly recommend. So, go...get on Fiji Time!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sunrise, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time to Fiji (and flying international) so with all the planning I forgot to confirm they would pick me up from the airport, no worries, Alvin was there with a fresh coconut with a straw waiting. When we arrived at the hotel you receive a foot massage and scrub. I followed up with a delicious must try Lychee Martini made by Faizal. Check in was a breeze, Arnold and Eva were great. EVERYONE there was great, knew me by name after the first day, went out of their way to make sure I had a great time and I know I was a bit of a pest but they never made me feel like it. I was in the Edgewater 2. Beautiful, decorated nicely, lots if wood and native art. Pure Fiji products which I liked so much I bought more stuff at the airport as gifts. The views from the room were spectacular, the water was beautiful, I literally jumped off my back patio and swam. When the time was low, you can walk most the way out and see blue starfish, sea snakes, bright blue fish caught in little puddles left by the tide. I also got some great shells.
While I was there I had the opportunity to meet Marissa, who booked my stay, and had dinner with her and the owner. Lovely people, very personable. He has another resort in Colorodo I plan to check out.
The resort has many activities during the day. I personally only went diving and spa in the resort. The dive was awesome, Colin and his wife aIso have a restaurant in town. At the spa I had a banana wrap massage by Mella (?), it was relaxing and just what I needed after 15 hrs flighing. I did I other activities through a different group, the front desk can help with that too.
The food was good, healthy. Its not American food so don't expect it. The bread is great and the eggs are always perfect.
Overcall, as I have told many people I would definitely come back here and I plan to.

Vinaka!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We booked Koro Sun because we would be unplugged for a week. The resort was nice. We stayed in the Honeymoon Bure. A two story tree house style suite. Diamond shaped bed upstairs with 360 degree window view with wrap around balcony. Down Stairs had a soaking tub with shower head, small sink with mini frig (didnt work). Outside another wrap around balcony with plunge pool and outdoor shower. The unit looked nice, the first day. For some reason we had creature (beetles, fruit flies, frogs, geckos and mongoose) issues during our stay. The grounds look nice but could use a bit more TLC. We liked the idea of a rural resort without all the typical comforts of home but we did not expect to not have hot/warm or drinkable water for 2 days. House keeping would do moning and evening turn down services. This was nice, however they never once changed our sheets. We were not adapted to 80 degees with 90% humidity and that caused us to sweat a lot. You can imagine what the sheets were like after a few days. They simply made the bed but did not change anything. Waterslide was fun but the pool on the end made you wonder. It was dirty and frequently was visited by numberous frogs. The slide worked for one day and then was closed for the rest of our stay. The adult pool by the common area was very nice. We spent a lot of time floating around and reading. It rained a lot while we were there. So the golf course looked more like a swamp. One thing we were looking forward to were the meals. Except it left a lot to be desired. I am not sure I really enjoyed any meal and when you had something you liked you were constantly swatting at flies. They do offer activities daily, typically one in the morning (usually a paid trip somewhere) and two afternoon activities. The activity guides John and Manu are exceptional, they are great guys to talk with and both are very funny if you are paying attention. We enjoyed the fact we could grap paddles whenever and go kayaking. We spent a great deal of time on the reef looking at the blue star fish and walking around bat island. If you are looking for a place that is not crowded, not expensive, and permits you to relax at your own speed this is a great place. If you want to keep busy with activities, games and have a party atmosphere look elsewhere. We came here to relax and that is what we did sucessfully. The staff was great, grounds could use some work. Adult pool was relaxing, golfing no comment, diving and snorkling is great. Rooms: i would encourage the steamside bungalo or the overwater units. we looked a both and like them a lot more then the big hike (50 Stairs) to the honeymoon bure.

Room Tip: Streamside and Edgewater are really the places to stay. We looked at those and were very impressed b...
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband has been diving all over the world for over 10 years and he said not only were the dives wonderful, but the Diving Staff was the best he has ever experienced! I had my first two "real" saltwater dives with Koro Sun about 2 weeks ago and what an incredible experience...my husband says I am very spoiled now and not to expect that kind of treatment anywhere else. Colin and Jeanine and there staff are exceptionally professional, fun and friendly. We highly recommend any divers to book with Koro Sun!!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

First off, I would like to give a big thanks to the Koro Sun staff. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and we both agree that Fijians (Koro Sun staff especially) are the nicest and most friendly people on the planet, hands down. They made our trip very special!

First off, for those who have travelled to the Mexican Riviera, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc where everything is crowded, busy (at times) and Americanized, THIS IS THE OPPOSITE. If you are truly looking to get away from it all, and have a romantic/private holiday/honeymoon, this is for you. If you want to eat non-stop from a gross buffet, and drink your face off with 300 other people, stay far away. This isn't for you. Some other guests assumed that they were getting a true "all-inclusive" resort - like you might get in Cancun, and it should be well known that KSR is a "mostly" inclusive resort (no free alcohol!). Despite this small glitch, there are MANY other great reasons to visit KSR.
The resort straddles a very small road, having half of the bures on either side of the road. It sounds strange, I know... but this is really an insignificant detail since the road sees 1 car every 10-15 minutes. We stayed on the "inland" side of the resort... so it took us an entire 30 seconds to walk to the beach :)

We spent 7 nights at KSR, staying in the Honeymoon Bure. The bure is beautiful, giving you a two-storey 360 degree view of the jungle, and ocean in the distance. The private pool and outdoor shower were a very nice touch also! This bure is very private, and is perched on a small hill under a massive tree. This gives you the feeling of sleeping in a tree fort! Pretty cool.

The food at the resort was one of the highlights of the entire trip. All meals (except for Sunday brunch) were plated, and there were plenty of options available for all tastes. My wife is celiac, and KSR was happy to accommodate her specific diet, while not skimping on any of the local cuisine.

KSR offered plenty of activities to keep us busy. Beach volleyball, standup paddle boarding, snorkelling, kayaking, coconut shucking lessons, etc are some of the free activities. World-class scuba diving, the waterfall trip, private beach picnic, sunset dinner, etc are some paid activities, but definitely are worthwhile. KSR has a private beach in a nice lagoon (lots of easy access to good snorkelling), but this is only a small beach... not the 100+kilometers of white pablum sand you'd find in Cancun. The KSR beach is great for lounging around, catching some sunshine, and jumping off the dock into the warm ocean.

The main downside of KSR is the price of the bar items. It is unfortunately very expensive to drink cocktails/wine at any other time of the day. Beer was $5 US all the time... but I remember one glass of wine at dinner costing +$15 US, and cocktails being upwards of $14-18 US. Although affordable during happy hour ($7-10 US), it was a bummer to have to rush down to the bar at 6pm in order to get a drink before dinner. On the positive side, the bartenders make EVERY drink from fresh ingredients EVERY time... so your Pina Colada (sp?) is from an actual coconut that is cracked open in front of you, and other "fruity" drinks have the fresh fruit pressed in front of you. It was a very nice touch!

In order to keep costs down, my wife and I took the local bus into town to stock up on supplies (beer, wine, rum, fresh fruit, mix, etc). The bus is cheap (less than $1 US) and takes you directly downtown. It was a great way to see the local markets and shops.

Overall, we had an amazing trip to Koro Sun! Despite the early rainy season during our visit, we still had an amazing honeymoon! I would recommend this resort to family and friends, but would make sure they know that they are not going to an 18-year old booze and gluttonous-eating fest, Cancun-style. If you want to get away with your new bride/groom, go to KSR!

Room Tip: All rooms are Bure style (private buildings) of varying size. The honeymoon bure has a private pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for the great account of your stay at Koro Sun! You two seem to hit the nail right on the head when it comes to describing the experience of Koro Sun to future travelers. We would like to say a special thanks to you both for the awesome photos you shared on our Facebook page, they are fantastic especially the waterfall! Manu and Dobbs would love to see you back on your anniversary trip in years to come.

An update on our beverage price list is taking place currently, and we hope to have our new cocktail, and wine list with more favorable pricing released soon. Thanks for your feedback.

Best wishes and congratulations!

Jack Young
(Owner)

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!