“Amazing Resort, Genuinely friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

You added Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa to your Saves list
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Hibiscus Highway, Savusavu, Vanua Levu 00000, Fiji   |
Call Hotel:
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
sunrise, fl
“Amazing Resort, Genuinely friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time to Fiji (and flying international) so with all the planning I forgot to confirm they would pick me up from the airport, no worries, Alvin was there with a fresh coconut with a straw waiting. When we arrived at the hotel you receive a foot massage and scrub. I followed up with a delicious must try Lychee Martini made by Faizal. Check in was a breeze, Arnold and Eva were great. EVERYONE there was great, knew me by name after the first day, went out of their way to make sure I had a great time and I know I was a bit of a pest but they never made me feel like it. I was in the Edgewater 2. Beautiful, decorated nicely, lots if wood and native art. Pure Fiji products which I liked so much I bought more stuff at the airport as gifts. The views from the room were spectacular, the water was beautiful, I literally jumped off my back patio and swam. When the time was low, you can walk most the way out and see blue starfish, sea snakes, bright blue fish caught in little puddles left by the tide. I also got some great shells.
While I was there I had the opportunity to meet Marissa, who booked my stay, and had dinner with her and the owner. Lovely people, very personable. He has another resort in Colorodo I plan to check out.
The resort has many activities during the day. I personally only went diving and spa in the resort. The dive was awesome, Colin and his wife aIso have a restaurant in town. At the spa I had a banana wrap massage by Mella (?), it was relaxing and just what I needed after 15 hrs flighing. I did I other activities through a different group, the front desk can help with that too.
The food was good, healthy. Its not American food so don't expect it. The bread is great and the eggs are always perfect.
Overcall, as I have told many people I would definitely come back here and I plan to.

Vinaka!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in November 2012.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We booked Koro Sun because we would be unplugged for a week. The resort was nice. We stayed in the Honeymoon Bure. A two story tree house style suite. Diamond shaped bed upstairs with 360 degree window view with wrap around balcony. Down Stairs had a soaking tub with shower head, small sink with mini frig (didnt work). Outside another wrap around balcony with plunge pool and outdoor shower. The unit looked nice, the first day. For some reason we had creature (beetles, fruit flies, frogs, geckos and mongoose) issues during our stay. The grounds look nice but could use a bit more TLC. We liked the idea of a rural resort without all the typical comforts of home but we did not expect to not have hot/warm or drinkable water for 2 days. House keeping would do moning and evening turn down services. This was nice, however they never once changed our sheets. We were not adapted to 80 degees with 90% humidity and that caused us to sweat a lot. You can imagine what the sheets were like after a few days. They simply made the bed but did not change anything. Waterslide was fun but the pool on the end made you wonder. It was dirty and frequently was visited by numberous frogs. The slide worked for one day and then was closed for the rest of our stay. The adult pool by the common area was very nice. We spent a lot of time floating around and reading. It rained a lot while we were there. So the golf course looked more like a swamp. One thing we were looking forward to were the meals. Except it left a lot to be desired. I am not sure I really enjoyed any meal and when you had something you liked you were constantly swatting at flies. They do offer activities daily, typically one in the morning (usually a paid trip somewhere) and two afternoon activities. The activity guides John and Manu are exceptional, they are great guys to talk with and both are very funny if you are paying attention. We enjoyed the fact we could grap paddles whenever and go kayaking. We spent a great deal of time on the reef looking at the blue star fish and walking around bat island. If you are looking for a place that is not crowded, not expensive, and permits you to relax at your own speed this is a great place. If you want to keep busy with activities, games and have a party atmosphere look elsewhere. We came here to relax and that is what we did sucessfully. The staff was great, grounds could use some work. Adult pool was relaxing, golfing no comment, diving and snorkling is great. Rooms: i would encourage the steamside bungalo or the overwater units. we looked a both and like them a lot more then the big hike (50 Stairs) to the honeymoon bure.

Room Tip: Streamside and Edgewater are really the places to stay. We looked at those and were very impressed b...
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in November 2012.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband has been diving all over the world for over 10 years and he said not only were the dives wonderful, but the Diving Staff was the best he has ever experienced! I had my first two "real" saltwater dives with Koro Sun about 2 weeks ago and what an incredible experience...my husband says I am very spoiled now and not to expect that kind of treatment anywhere else. Colin and Jeanine and there staff are exceptionally professional, fun and friendly. We highly recommend any divers to book with Koro Sun!!

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in October 2012.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

First off, I would like to give a big thanks to the Koro Sun staff. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and we both agree that Fijians (Koro Sun staff especially) are the nicest and most friendly people on the planet, hands down. They made our trip very special!

First off, for those who have travelled to the Mexican Riviera, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc where everything is crowded, busy (at times) and Americanized, THIS IS THE OPPOSITE. If you are truly looking to get away from it all, and have a romantic/private holiday/honeymoon, this is for you. If you want to eat non-stop from a gross buffet, and drink your face off with 300 other people, stay far away. This isn't for you. Some other guests assumed that they were getting a true "all-inclusive" resort - like you might get in Cancun, and it should be well known that KSR is a "mostly" inclusive resort (no free alcohol!). Despite this small glitch, there are MANY other great reasons to visit KSR.
The resort straddles a very small road, having half of the bures on either side of the road. It sounds strange, I know... but this is really an insignificant detail since the road sees 1 car every 10-15 minutes. We stayed on the "inland" side of the resort... so it took us an entire 30 seconds to walk to the beach :)

We spent 7 nights at KSR, staying in the Honeymoon Bure. The bure is beautiful, giving you a two-storey 360 degree view of the jungle, and ocean in the distance. The private pool and outdoor shower were a very nice touch also! This bure is very private, and is perched on a small hill under a massive tree. This gives you the feeling of sleeping in a tree fort! Pretty cool.

The food at the resort was one of the highlights of the entire trip. All meals (except for Sunday brunch) were plated, and there were plenty of options available for all tastes. My wife is celiac, and KSR was happy to accommodate her specific diet, while not skimping on any of the local cuisine.

KSR offered plenty of activities to keep us busy. Beach volleyball, standup paddle boarding, snorkelling, kayaking, coconut shucking lessons, etc are some of the free activities. World-class scuba diving, the waterfall trip, private beach picnic, sunset dinner, etc are some paid activities, but definitely are worthwhile. KSR has a private beach in a nice lagoon (lots of easy access to good snorkelling), but this is only a small beach... not the 100+kilometers of white pablum sand you'd find in Cancun. The KSR beach is great for lounging around, catching some sunshine, and jumping off the dock into the warm ocean.

The main downside of KSR is the price of the bar items. It is unfortunately very expensive to drink cocktails/wine at any other time of the day. Beer was $5 US all the time... but I remember one glass of wine at dinner costing +$15 US, and cocktails being upwards of $14-18 US. Although affordable during happy hour ($7-10 US), it was a bummer to have to rush down to the bar at 6pm in order to get a drink before dinner. On the positive side, the bartenders make EVERY drink from fresh ingredients EVERY time... so your Pina Colada (sp?) is from an actual coconut that is cracked open in front of you, and other "fruity" drinks have the fresh fruit pressed in front of you. It was a very nice touch!

In order to keep costs down, my wife and I took the local bus into town to stock up on supplies (beer, wine, rum, fresh fruit, mix, etc). The bus is cheap (less than $1 US) and takes you directly downtown. It was a great way to see the local markets and shops.

Overall, we had an amazing trip to Koro Sun! Despite the early rainy season during our visit, we still had an amazing honeymoon! I would recommend this resort to family and friends, but would make sure they know that they are not going to an 18-year old booze and gluttonous-eating fest, Cancun-style. If you want to get away with your new bride/groom, go to KSR!

Room Tip: All rooms are Bure style (private buildings) of varying size. The honeymoon bure has a private pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for the great account of your stay at Koro Sun! You two seem to hit the nail right on the head when it comes to describing the experience of Koro Sun to future travelers. We would like to say a special thanks to you both for the awesome photos you shared on our Facebook page, they are fantastic especially the waterfall! Manu and Dobbs would love to see you back on your anniversary trip in years to come.

An update on our beverage price list is taking place currently, and we hope to have our new cocktail, and wine list with more favorable pricing released soon. Thanks for your feedback.

Best wishes and congratulations!

Jack Young
(Owner)
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our decision to choose Koro Sun in Fiji for our honeymoon was based on the idea we wanted to travel to a far away, exotic, and extremely beautiful and adventurous location in the world. We came across a “Groupon” for Koro Sun and figured it was a great way to go! However the "all -inclusive except for alcohol" wasn't so inclusive after all!! There were both peaks and pits. On arrival, the resort, staff and landscape were beautiful and friendly. We were greeted with a great foot massage however then with very little direction or “orientation.” This lack of communication came into play throughout our stay. Activities were often canceled and when or if rescheduled due to the urging of other guests, I was NEVER told by staff. I unfortunately learned this on day 3 or 4 when I had attempted to snorkel several times with a staff guided tour. (Once we did snorkel, it was the finest and most beautiful we have ever seen!!!) The guests were often talking/ complaining about this: that the staff often was not communication with the guests or worse off with each other. Staff answers were often different from staffer to staffer, hour to hour. It was very frustrating! After learning we would need to constantly ASK to do all activities and constantly confirm times, we were able to do the activities such as snorkeling, the waterfall trip, our candlelight dinner etc. Arnold, the assistant manager, was very willing to meet our requests and was very helpful when my husband needed medical treatment, our room changed etc. We got to know several of the activity staff who were great! The attraction is Koro Sun’s safe small community! PIT: The general manager, Michael, was far from adequate. He never once approached my husband or I or any of the guests! He was rude to most, including staff (in front of guests!!). Frankly, I found him to be appalling!! With a resort that small, he should know the guest names…the staff sure did!! His attitude was he clearly didn’t care about his guests or appreciate their business. My husband and I travel to resorts at least twice a year and this was by far the worst general manager we have encountered (or should I actually say, viewed from afar). He purposely would avoid guests when entering a room, or push right by them, or better yet, completely ignore them.
A few other things: The food was AMAZING! Each meal was made with perfection, creativity, and you can tell it was TRUE Fijian cuisine! The soups were to die for, as were the muffins and the desserts! Downside: alcohol was skimped on overpriced and soda and water was charged!! & Also it was very sad that soda and even bottled water was NOT INCLUDED!
Lastly, the accommodations were good at best. “Ocean view” wasn’t on the ocean- it was more so, “if you look through the palm trees, across the street, you can see the blue skyline.” The outdated rain tree (not “in” the rainforest, nor in a tree) was not what we expected it to be when we arrived. It was a far walk and next to the staff quarters (unromantic!) However we asked to move and it was granted the next day. The bed was romantic with the let-down netting. The outdoor shower was awesome & always clean!! The bedding, towels and toilet paper-rarely restocked or changed but if you asked, you would receive. Also, bugs and lizards were a free attraction but given the location, it’s to be expected so we didn’t mind.
All in all, I gave it 3 stars based on what I believe a fair and honest review. I'm not happy that we spent over $1,000 extra at the resort for drinks, and excursions but It was an experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Raintree buras are outdated and not romantic or cozy. Oceanview: more romantic and close to main lod...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Director of Sales at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thanks for your review of your stay with us at Koro Sun. It's encouraging to hear you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff, meals, and your accommodations in the Ocean View bures.

It's unfortunate to hear your experience with our GM was unfavorable, and will look into your specific comments further with our management. Michael has had his family visiting from Germany and had requested time off to be with them during their stay. He is based on site, and this is why he has been coming and going during your stay, rather than his regular 6 day work schedule. We are pleased to hear you felt Arnold was helpful as the acting assistant manager.

We are looking at revising the alcohol drink prices at Koro Sun, and have taken your comments about price on board. Alcohol is very expensive in the Fiji islands as the majority of it is imported with a high duty.
We feel that we are clear about our meals, and activities inclusive experience and nowhere do we represent beverages being included. For the majority of our clients they are happy with the value of the nightly rate to be kept them lower for those who don't drink, while those who do are able to pay at their own discretion.
Thank you for your comments, for further questions please email us: marketing@korosunresort.com
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Koro Sun is a super nice place for a honeymoon. We highly enjoyed the place, atmosphere and friendliness and effectiveness of the staff. My wife an I took a highly needed break from a family vacation and found everything we were looking for: Lots of activities and lots of relaxation. I highly recommend this to everybody.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your favorable comments about your stay with us, our staff, activities and relaxing environment. We hope to see you back at Koro Sun someday soon.

Vinaka Vaka Levu.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at Koro sun for 5 nights. We had bure number 1 – nice and close to the main resort but if the place was full, the pool may be a bit noisy. This resort does not have a beach as such – there is a main road between the resort and the sea. There is a little beach area but it is not ‘swimming beach’ really. You will need to wear shoes in the water. There is a kiddies club for those will little ones. They also have a fabulous spa and although the prices are quite high, the massages were wonderful - very professionally done.

Food: Excellent – well presented, good variety. You request your meals for the next day from a menu given to you at dinner. Three course meals for lunch and dinner, substantial breakfast and even afternoon tea (and snacks at happy hour), so plenty to eat.

Service: Probably the best service we have had in Fiji, or anywhere for that matter. Real personal service here – what a pleasure! All the staff refer to you by name and will do anything possible to make your stay a good one.

Activities: there are guided snorkel trips, diving, a lovely little golf course to play or walk on –not for the serious golfer but great fun for anyone else, 2 pools -an adults only pool which is a great idea and volleyball and other arranged activities daily plus free kayaks and bicycles at your disposal. They are also affiliated with Koro SunDiving but to be honest, we do not recommend diving with them, you can see my separate review for them. There are other dive companies that you can use that are very close by.

Rooms: we had the sea view bure – tea & coffee and fridge in the room. Bed was good, maybe a little hard but I prefer soft beds. It was a 4 poster with mosquito net over it but the room also had bug spray so we kept our doors closed and just sprayed before going to bed and did not need to use the net. The resort backs onto a rainforest and the gardens are luscious and well kept – but there are plenty of mosquitos so bring lots of personal spray - they do supply some at the bar area but really worth taking your own. Aircon was a blessing although the fan works great too. We had a little back private patio and a front patio which overlooked the golf course and the sea. No complaints about the room at all – very private and comfortable. We saw the rainforest ones which are further from the main resort but didn’t feel they were as private although they had their own dip pools, we still preferred where we were.

Getting to and from this island can be a bit tricky so you need to work out the travel first and then see if the nights you want are available. We did it the other way around and ended up having to pay a huge cost for our flight back to Nadi.

Room Tip: Any of the ocean view or garden bures are nice. The riverside ones are nice too but obviously not w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay in Savusavu at Koro Sun. It's great to see you enjoyed the variety of activities offered, meals, Spa and our friendly staff.

As for our beach location, snorkeling and swimming access we do offer three beaches nearby guests are able to visit. Some are at an additional charge, however the fee is $15FJ for a beautiful trip to Wina Beach just 5 minutes from the resort with wonderful swimming access as well. Our beach is perfect for lounging and jumping in from the dock.

Our reservations team is happy to assist any future travelers requiring assistance with their domestic flight arrangements please email us at: marketing@korosunresort.com

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!