“The Koro Sun experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

You added Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa to your Saves list
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Hibiscus Highway, Savusavu, Vanua Levu 00000, Fiji   |
Call Hotel:
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Savusavu
Calgary, Canada
“The Koro Sun experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

First off, I would like to give a big thanks to the Koro Sun staff. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and we both agree that Fijians (Koro Sun staff especially) are the nicest and most friendly people on the planet, hands down. They made our trip very special!

First off, for those who have travelled to the Mexican Riviera, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc where everything is crowded, busy (at times) and Americanized, THIS IS THE OPPOSITE. If you are truly looking to get away from it all, and have a romantic/private holiday/honeymoon, this is for you. If you want to eat non-stop from a gross buffet, and drink your face off with 300 other people, stay far away. This isn't for you. Some other guests assumed that they were getting a true "all-inclusive" resort - like you might get in Cancun, and it should be well known that KSR is a "mostly" inclusive resort (no free alcohol!). Despite this small glitch, there are MANY other great reasons to visit KSR.
The resort straddles a very small road, having half of the bures on either side of the road. It sounds strange, I know... but this is really an insignificant detail since the road sees 1 car every 10-15 minutes. We stayed on the "inland" side of the resort... so it took us an entire 30 seconds to walk to the beach :)

We spent 7 nights at KSR, staying in the Honeymoon Bure. The bure is beautiful, giving you a two-storey 360 degree view of the jungle, and ocean in the distance. The private pool and outdoor shower were a very nice touch also! This bure is very private, and is perched on a small hill under a massive tree. This gives you the feeling of sleeping in a tree fort! Pretty cool.

The food at the resort was one of the highlights of the entire trip. All meals (except for Sunday brunch) were plated, and there were plenty of options available for all tastes. My wife is celiac, and KSR was happy to accommodate her specific diet, while not skimping on any of the local cuisine.

KSR offered plenty of activities to keep us busy. Beach volleyball, standup paddle boarding, snorkelling, kayaking, coconut shucking lessons, etc are some of the free activities. World-class scuba diving, the waterfall trip, private beach picnic, sunset dinner, etc are some paid activities, but definitely are worthwhile. KSR has a private beach in a nice lagoon (lots of easy access to good snorkelling), but this is only a small beach... not the 100+kilometers of white pablum sand you'd find in Cancun. The KSR beach is great for lounging around, catching some sunshine, and jumping off the dock into the warm ocean.

The main downside of KSR is the price of the bar items. It is unfortunately very expensive to drink cocktails/wine at any other time of the day. Beer was $5 US all the time... but I remember one glass of wine at dinner costing +$15 US, and cocktails being upwards of $14-18 US. Although affordable during happy hour ($7-10 US), it was a bummer to have to rush down to the bar at 6pm in order to get a drink before dinner. On the positive side, the bartenders make EVERY drink from fresh ingredients EVERY time... so your Pina Colada (sp?) is from an actual coconut that is cracked open in front of you, and other "fruity" drinks have the fresh fruit pressed in front of you. It was a very nice touch!

In order to keep costs down, my wife and I took the local bus into town to stock up on supplies (beer, wine, rum, fresh fruit, mix, etc). The bus is cheap (less than $1 US) and takes you directly downtown. It was a great way to see the local markets and shops.

Overall, we had an amazing trip to Koro Sun! Despite the early rainy season during our visit, we still had an amazing honeymoon! I would recommend this resort to family and friends, but would make sure they know that they are not going to an 18-year old booze and gluttonous-eating fest, Cancun-style. If you want to get away with your new bride/groom, go to KSR!

Room Tip: All rooms are Bure style (private buildings) of varying size. The honeymoon bure has a private pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for the great account of your stay at Koro Sun! You two seem to hit the nail right on the head when it comes to describing the experience of Koro Sun to future travelers. We would like to say a special thanks to you both for the awesome photos you shared on our Facebook page, they are fantastic especially the waterfall! Manu and Dobbs would love to see you back on your anniversary trip in years to come.

An update on our beverage price list is taking place currently, and we hope to have our new cocktail, and wine list with more favorable pricing released soon. Thanks for your feedback.

Best wishes and congratulations!

Jack Young
(Owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our decision to choose Koro Sun in Fiji for our honeymoon was based on the idea we wanted to travel to a far away, exotic, and extremely beautiful and adventurous location in the world. We came across a “Groupon” for Koro Sun and figured it was a great way to go! However the "all -inclusive except for alcohol" wasn't so inclusive after all!! There were both peaks and pits. On arrival, the resort, staff and landscape were beautiful and friendly. We were greeted with a great foot massage however then with very little direction or “orientation.” This lack of communication came into play throughout our stay. Activities were often canceled and when or if rescheduled due to the urging of other guests, I was NEVER told by staff. I unfortunately learned this on day 3 or 4 when I had attempted to snorkel several times with a staff guided tour. (Once we did snorkel, it was the finest and most beautiful we have ever seen!!!) The guests were often talking/ complaining about this: that the staff often was not communication with the guests or worse off with each other. Staff answers were often different from staffer to staffer, hour to hour. It was very frustrating! After learning we would need to constantly ASK to do all activities and constantly confirm times, we were able to do the activities such as snorkeling, the waterfall trip, our candlelight dinner etc. Arnold, the assistant manager, was very willing to meet our requests and was very helpful when my husband needed medical treatment, our room changed etc. We got to know several of the activity staff who were great! The attraction is Koro Sun’s safe small community! PIT: The general manager, Michael, was far from adequate. He never once approached my husband or I or any of the guests! He was rude to most, including staff (in front of guests!!). Frankly, I found him to be appalling!! With a resort that small, he should know the guest names…the staff sure did!! His attitude was he clearly didn’t care about his guests or appreciate their business. My husband and I travel to resorts at least twice a year and this was by far the worst general manager we have encountered (or should I actually say, viewed from afar). He purposely would avoid guests when entering a room, or push right by them, or better yet, completely ignore them.
A few other things: The food was AMAZING! Each meal was made with perfection, creativity, and you can tell it was TRUE Fijian cuisine! The soups were to die for, as were the muffins and the desserts! Downside: alcohol was skimped on overpriced and soda and water was charged!! & Also it was very sad that soda and even bottled water was NOT INCLUDED!
Lastly, the accommodations were good at best. “Ocean view” wasn’t on the ocean- it was more so, “if you look through the palm trees, across the street, you can see the blue skyline.” The outdated rain tree (not “in” the rainforest, nor in a tree) was not what we expected it to be when we arrived. It was a far walk and next to the staff quarters (unromantic!) However we asked to move and it was granted the next day. The bed was romantic with the let-down netting. The outdoor shower was awesome & always clean!! The bedding, towels and toilet paper-rarely restocked or changed but if you asked, you would receive. Also, bugs and lizards were a free attraction but given the location, it’s to be expected so we didn’t mind.
All in all, I gave it 3 stars based on what I believe a fair and honest review. I'm not happy that we spent over $1,000 extra at the resort for drinks, and excursions but It was an experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Raintree buras are outdated and not romantic or cozy. Oceanview: more romantic and close to main lod...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
navale0, Director of Sales at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thanks for your review of your stay with us at Koro Sun. It's encouraging to hear you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff, meals, and your accommodations in the Ocean View bures.

It's unfortunate to hear your experience with our GM was unfavorable, and will look into your specific comments further with our management. Michael has had his family visiting from Germany and had requested time off to be with them during their stay. He is based on site, and this is why he has been coming and going during your stay, rather than his regular 6 day work schedule. We are pleased to hear you felt Arnold was helpful as the acting assistant manager.

We are looking at revising the alcohol drink prices at Koro Sun, and have taken your comments about price on board. Alcohol is very expensive in the Fiji islands as the majority of it is imported with a high duty.
We feel that we are clear about our meals, and activities inclusive experience and nowhere do we represent beverages being included. For the majority of our clients they are happy with the value of the nightly rate to be kept them lower for those who don't drink, while those who do are able to pay at their own discretion.
Thank you for your comments, for further questions please email us: marketing@korosunresort.com
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Koro Sun is a super nice place for a honeymoon. We highly enjoyed the place, atmosphere and friendliness and effectiveness of the staff. My wife an I took a highly needed break from a family vacation and found everything we were looking for: Lots of activities and lots of relaxation. I highly recommend this to everybody.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your favorable comments about your stay with us, our staff, activities and relaxing environment. We hope to see you back at Koro Sun someday soon.

Vinaka Vaka Levu.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at Koro sun for 5 nights. We had bure number 1 – nice and close to the main resort but if the place was full, the pool may be a bit noisy. This resort does not have a beach as such – there is a main road between the resort and the sea. There is a little beach area but it is not ‘swimming beach’ really. You will need to wear shoes in the water. There is a kiddies club for those will little ones. They also have a fabulous spa and although the prices are quite high, the massages were wonderful - very professionally done.

Food: Excellent – well presented, good variety. You request your meals for the next day from a menu given to you at dinner. Three course meals for lunch and dinner, substantial breakfast and even afternoon tea (and snacks at happy hour), so plenty to eat.

Service: Probably the best service we have had in Fiji, or anywhere for that matter. Real personal service here – what a pleasure! All the staff refer to you by name and will do anything possible to make your stay a good one.

Activities: there are guided snorkel trips, diving, a lovely little golf course to play or walk on –not for the serious golfer but great fun for anyone else, 2 pools -an adults only pool which is a great idea and volleyball and other arranged activities daily plus free kayaks and bicycles at your disposal. They are also affiliated with Koro SunDiving but to be honest, we do not recommend diving with them, you can see my separate review for them. There are other dive companies that you can use that are very close by.

Rooms: we had the sea view bure – tea & coffee and fridge in the room. Bed was good, maybe a little hard but I prefer soft beds. It was a 4 poster with mosquito net over it but the room also had bug spray so we kept our doors closed and just sprayed before going to bed and did not need to use the net. The resort backs onto a rainforest and the gardens are luscious and well kept – but there are plenty of mosquitos so bring lots of personal spray - they do supply some at the bar area but really worth taking your own. Aircon was a blessing although the fan works great too. We had a little back private patio and a front patio which overlooked the golf course and the sea. No complaints about the room at all – very private and comfortable. We saw the rainforest ones which are further from the main resort but didn’t feel they were as private although they had their own dip pools, we still preferred where we were.

Getting to and from this island can be a bit tricky so you need to work out the travel first and then see if the nights you want are available. We did it the other way around and ended up having to pay a huge cost for our flight back to Nadi.

Room Tip: Any of the ocean view or garden bures are nice. The riverside ones are nice too but obviously not w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay in Savusavu at Koro Sun. It's great to see you enjoyed the variety of activities offered, meals, Spa and our friendly staff.

As for our beach location, snorkeling and swimming access we do offer three beaches nearby guests are able to visit. Some are at an additional charge, however the fee is $15FJ for a beautiful trip to Wina Beach just 5 minutes from the resort with wonderful swimming access as well. Our beach is perfect for lounging and jumping in from the dock.

Our reservations team is happy to assist any future travelers requiring assistance with their domestic flight arrangements please email us at: marketing@korosunresort.com
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Maybe I shouldn't be complaining - after all my new husband and I just spent 7 nights in Fiji on a Groupon for under $2,000; however, the price of Koro Sun's happy hour is enough to make up for the money they had lost from our discounted stay. I'll explain the Fiji $ first. Our $1 = $1.70 fiji dollars. Because of this, a happy hour beer costed $9 and a "special" mixed drink was roughly $22. I felt kind of sorry for the bar tender because he truly seemed to enjoy his "craft" of mixing bad drinks (really, they were bad at best) but we sucked it up and quickly learned how to hail a cab and make it downtown to the liquor store. Ok, enough about the drinks - the room: yuck. Our first room had a broken fan and was sweltering hot so we were quickly placed in another room atop a hill (elevation Mt. Rushmore) that we had to hike up several times a day. My glutes have never looked better. Next, if I'm a guest paying for my stay, I do not expect to have to conserve energy. I understand Fiji is a poor country but I'm American and I traveled 15 hours and 3 plane trips to relax; not to sweat more than I do in my residing state of TX. I can't handle 95 degree heat with 150% humidity only to come back to an oven because they don't want us to keep our air conditioner running during the day. I'd like more than one wash rag and hand towel within my week's stay. I'd like fresh sheets at least every 3 days and our floors swept and mopped daily. I'd like my tissues and toilet paper to be replenished without having to ask. Am I asking too much? I didn't think so. This is the kind of stuff we had to deal with at Koro Sun. And I won't even go into detail about how dated and unkempt the bungalow's structure was. I'm quite surprised that a coconut didn't come crashing through the dilapidated roof. It was bad, I'll put it that way. There was no tv, no phone, and no internet (unless you wanted to pay $25 per hour for the lobby computer). There was no snack shop or vending machine to purchase items in between meals - between lunch and dinner was a big stretch (12pm - 7pm). The gift shop offered a few items (no food) but things such as waterproof 110 sunblock or tampons with applicators were non-existent... as well as downtown. Another complaint I have is about the general manager (whom we didn't see until 2 days prior to us leaving to go back to the US), Michael. I've never been to a place where the general manager didn't come and introduce himself to us and ask if everything was going well; whether or not we needed anything, or what could be made better. This dude was straight up rude. He was rude to his staff - seemed to treat them as if they were minions under himself and his wife and only seemed to get on with guests that were spending more money than "the Grouponers." His loss, not ours. If he would have acted a bit more pleasant towards us we may have actually participated in one of his stupid happy hours or trivia games. Another thing is, not that we expected special treatment but my husband and I were one of MANY couples that had just tied the knot over the previous weekend. It would have been nice if the resort had shown an acknowledgment that they knew this. One last complaint I have is the final day we were in Fiji. We were told a night or two prior that on Tuesday a cruise ship would be coming in and occupying our dining room. Our lunch would be provided for us in a picnic area across the street and down the road 1/2 of a mile away. If it weren't for the fact that this was our last day on the island and we were catching our plane 2 hours after our lunch, I may have been a bit more upset. We were completely confused though that THE GUESTS WHO WERE PAYING TO STAY AT THE RESORT were the ones shuffled down the street (in the rain mind you) to eat lunch on our laps and endure the flies, while 100 senior citizens ate peacefully in the dining hall and listened to a live band played music for them. We were a bit jealous to say the least.

On a positive note, the staff was excellent and I felt as if they genuinely cared about how our stay was going. My husband and I had Nai & Mila for most of our meals (servers) and they were so sweet. The food was excellent and mostly healthy; however, be prepared for no salt or sugar in the food itself. Salt and pepper are provided on the table for you and sugar was scarcely in any of the desserts. Moving on - Arnold and Dobbs were great guys for the activities, and even Sam their night security guard was friendly and taught us a lot about the Fijian culture. They always had a smile on their face and a good attitude. The trips were fun and exciting (the ones that we did take) but I did feel that there was a lack of communication between the activities coordinator and the resort itself. We would sign up for an activity but then it would be canceled due to some reason or another, so then we'd try to do something else but unless you were signed up for a trip the night prior you likely weren't able to squeeze into the group. Most of our time was spent across the street in the lagoon snorkeling, which was fine but it would have been nice to see a list posted somewhere of general things to do outside of the resort that we were capable of doing on our own.

Overall Fiji is an absolutely GORGEOUS country and we enjoyed seeing its beauty and learning about its culture but I would not pick Koro Sun as my destination resort again even if Queen Elizabeth herself paid me to.

Room Tip: Go to the 5 star down the street (Namale).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments about your recent stay at Koro Sun. We are disappointed to hear the honeymoon experience did not live up to your expectations. We appreciate your suggestions as there is always room for improvement and will make necessary changes to ensure our satisfaction of future guests. Updates include the room you occupied has since been painted and door knob replaced as our ongoing process for maintenance and upgrades continue. I would like to clarify a few points about some of the comments made in your review:

The location of our Ocean View two bedroom bures is slightly raised with elevated views of the ocean. This is a short 5 minute walk and not closely resembling a mountain as suggested in the review. If you are considering a two bedroom bure, we offer three bures along the golf course with ocean views. Feel free to request this at the time of booking as an alternate for those who don't enjoy the walk.

Most of our guests regard the tropical and craft cocktail selection as tasty, creative and refreshing. We are disappointed they did not enjoy this menu, however we appreciate that tastes vary from person to person. We are reviewing our alcohol pricing at this time.

Energy Conservation: regarding the reviewers comments about about their desire to keep the air conditioner running at all times. We would like to clarify that the resort (Suggests) on a small sign in the room that if you are leaving your room for the day, that you help us to conserve energy as our pledge to Green World Alliance and as a sustainable resort. This is not a decision based on money, and rather about preserving our environment here in the Fiji Islands along with most hotels in the world.

Thanks for your comments, please feel free to enquire with further questions.
marketing@korosunresort.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Where to begin with Koro Sun Resort? My husband and I picked this beautiful place for our honeymoon and for the most part we were satisfied but there are always things to go wrong.

The good:
The staff is over the top unbelieveable!! There really are no words to describe how amazing the staff really is. Arnold was always there to help when we had a situation come up and Mili the bartender had a smile that could light up the whole room. The food was amazing, everday breakfast, lunch, and dinner! and how can you forget the 3pm pastries everday? those were SO good. We stayed 7 nights in an Edgewater Villa which was so nice, being able to wake up to. the blue ocean every morning was fabulous. The activities guys were so fun and entertaining. Dobbs was our favorite, always there to help us when we needed something. We found it hillarious that they just couldn't get my husbands name right, his name is Buck and they just called him "Bug".

The Bad:
Granted we were in the rainforest the bugs in our Edgewater Villa were a little too much. For the price we paid for the stay at the resort plus our airfare I felt as though little black ants shouldn't be in our bed and we shouldn't have to check our bed everynight for bugs. We were constantly finding HUGE bugs everywhere. The hot water was pretty much non existent and our plunge pool which we were so excited about was SO gross everyday it was never cleaned during our stay. We never had towels or toliet paper we always had to ask. We (along with other guests we met during our stay) believe that for the prices we paid we shouldn't have to "ask" for towels and toliet paper.

And the HUGE issue we found at the resort was with the general manager Michael! We noticed Michael a few days into our stay but he never came to speak to us (or the other 3 couples we made friends with while honeymooning) We finally asked a staff member who he was and when we found out we couldn't believe that he didn't make any effort to mingle and speak with his guests. Although he DID speak to the people who were spending over 100s of dollars at the bar every night. It made us feel as though we didn't spend enough money for him to speak to us! When Michael was around the staff was SO up tight, still friendly but you could tell they didn't like when he was around. What really made us see Michaels true personality was when he was extremely rude with the staff while guests were around. One example, my husband & I were standing at the front desk waiting to confirm activites for the next day when Michael comes up, pretty much pushes me out of the way (still hadn't bothered to speak to us) and interrupted us while we were talking with the front desk to ask for the wifi password then got very rude w/ her when she told him to hold on she would find it when she was finished with us. Being in management you should NEVER speak with to your employees like that in front of guests and there were more times we seen him speak to the staff like that in front of guests.

As the general manager we feel that he should mingle with ALL guests whenever he's around; thank us for traveling to stay at your resort; ask how our stay is going or what you could do to improve your stay. After asking staff members about Michael we all got the same response "he doesn't respect us" "treats us terribly" So we asked when the Owners are around how things are ran same response "they are wonderful people to us, never make us feel bad about anything" "we love the owners" "the owners aren't here enough to see how Michael really runs things" & we has guests could truely see that!!

Overall our stay at Koro Sun was pleasant, things could have went better with some issues but at the end of the day my husband and I are married and were able to experience a dream honeymoon in the Fiji Islands. We were also told by the staff that the owners daughter is getting married this month as well, so Congrats to her!

• Stayed October 2012
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My new husband and I wanted a retreat away from it all... this definitely fulfilled that. Set in a natural rainforest, you couldn't ask for more beauty. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the food is EXCELLENT-high quality, fancy, and something different with every meal. Fresh homemade bread, muffins, great coffee, delicious desserts. The accommodations are unique and exotic and definitely give you the 'escape' feel. We stayed the first half in an ocean view bure and loved the canopy bed and outdoor shower. The second half we were upgraded for free as honeymooners to the Lighthouse Villa with a private deck and pool with view to the sea, an excellent view when you wake up in the morning. The resort is fabulous - we loved all of the excursions as well, so much fun and moderately priced. A great location for honeymooners!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view bure and lighthouse villa are both great
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!