First off, I would like to give a big thanks to the Koro Sun staff. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and we both agree that Fijians (Koro Sun staff especially) are the nicest and most friendly people on the planet, hands down. They made our trip very special!
First off, for those who have travelled to the Mexican Riviera, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc where everything is crowded, busy (at times) and Americanized, THIS IS THE OPPOSITE. If you are truly looking to get away from it all, and have a romantic/private holiday/honeymoon, this is for you. If you want to eat non-stop from a gross buffet, and drink your face off with 300 other people, stay far away. This isn't for you. Some other guests assumed that they were getting a true "all-inclusive" resort - like you might get in Cancun, and it should be well known that KSR is a "mostly" inclusive resort (no free alcohol!). Despite this small glitch, there are MANY other great reasons to visit KSR.
The resort straddles a very small road, having half of the bures on either side of the road. It sounds strange, I know... but this is really an insignificant detail since the road sees 1 car every 10-15 minutes. We stayed on the "inland" side of the resort... so it took us an entire 30 seconds to walk to the beach :)
We spent 7 nights at KSR, staying in the Honeymoon Bure. The bure is beautiful, giving you a two-storey 360 degree view of the jungle, and ocean in the distance. The private pool and outdoor shower were a very nice touch also! This bure is very private, and is perched on a small hill under a massive tree. This gives you the feeling of sleeping in a tree fort! Pretty cool.
The food at the resort was one of the highlights of the entire trip. All meals (except for Sunday brunch) were plated, and there were plenty of options available for all tastes. My wife is celiac, and KSR was happy to accommodate her specific diet, while not skimping on any of the local cuisine.
KSR offered plenty of activities to keep us busy. Beach volleyball, standup paddle boarding, snorkelling, kayaking, coconut shucking lessons, etc are some of the free activities. World-class scuba diving, the waterfall trip, private beach picnic, sunset dinner, etc are some paid activities, but definitely are worthwhile. KSR has a private beach in a nice lagoon (lots of easy access to good snorkelling), but this is only a small beach... not the 100+kilometers of white pablum sand you'd find in Cancun. The KSR beach is great for lounging around, catching some sunshine, and jumping off the dock into the warm ocean.
The main downside of KSR is the price of the bar items. It is unfortunately very expensive to drink cocktails/wine at any other time of the day. Beer was $5 US all the time... but I remember one glass of wine at dinner costing +$15 US, and cocktails being upwards of $14-18 US. Although affordable during happy hour ($7-10 US), it was a bummer to have to rush down to the bar at 6pm in order to get a drink before dinner. On the positive side, the bartenders make EVERY drink from fresh ingredients EVERY time... so your Pina Colada (sp?) is from an actual coconut that is cracked open in front of you, and other "fruity" drinks have the fresh fruit pressed in front of you. It was a very nice touch!
In order to keep costs down, my wife and I took the local bus into town to stock up on supplies (beer, wine, rum, fresh fruit, mix, etc). The bus is cheap (less than $1 US) and takes you directly downtown. It was a great way to see the local markets and shops.
Overall, we had an amazing trip to Koro Sun! Despite the early rainy season during our visit, we still had an amazing honeymoon! I would recommend this resort to family and friends, but would make sure they know that they are not going to an 18-year old booze and gluttonous-eating fest, Cancun-style. If you want to get away with your new bride/groom, go to KSR!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our northern unspoiled location offers you the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Fijian people, beautiful lush tropical surroundings, and warm, impossibly clear waters. In a remote setting that defines paradise, Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa immerses you in a genuine Fijian experience that's nirvana to the core. In the unspoiled native north on "Fiji's other big island" of Vanua Levu, this 160-acre sanctuary was born of a nature lover's dream. The tropical retreat is etched within a coconut plantation that's encircled by lush rainforests at the edge of a stunning private lagoon. From the moment you arrive, the Koro Sun staff embraces you like family. They greet you with a song that welcomes you to your home away from home. Certainly, the Fijians are known around the globe for being the most warm and friendly islands on earth.That hospitality - coupled with our diverse accommodations and recreation - has made Fiji's Koro Sun Resort an international favorite for relaxing holidays, active family vacations and magical romantic getaways. You may experience the latter in our brand new Edgewater Bures, with lagoon front location. Our 43 private bures and villas are spacious, individually appointed decor and fully air-conditioned. Your stay is all-inclusive - from airport transfers to bountiful gourmet fare and a flurry of non-motorized water sport activities. Beverages are additional. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koro Sun Hotel Savusavu
- Koro Sun Resort All Inclusive
- Koro Sun Resort And Rainforest Spa Fiji/Savusavu