Our decision to choose Koro Sun in Fiji for our honeymoon was based on the idea we wanted to travel to a far away, exotic, and extremely beautiful and adventurous location in the world. We came across a “Groupon” for Koro Sun and figured it was a great way to go! However the "all -inclusive except for alcohol" wasn't so inclusive after all!! There were both peaks and pits. On arrival, the resort, staff and landscape were beautiful and friendly. We were greeted with a great foot massage however then with very little direction or “orientation.” This lack of communication came into play throughout our stay. Activities were often canceled and when or if rescheduled due to the urging of other guests, I was NEVER told by staff. I unfortunately learned this on day 3 or 4 when I had attempted to snorkel several times with a staff guided tour. (Once we did snorkel, it was the finest and most beautiful we have ever seen!!!) The guests were often talking/ complaining about this: that the staff often was not communication with the guests or worse off with each other. Staff answers were often different from staffer to staffer, hour to hour. It was very frustrating! After learning we would need to constantly ASK to do all activities and constantly confirm times, we were able to do the activities such as snorkeling, the waterfall trip, our candlelight dinner etc. Arnold, the assistant manager, was very willing to meet our requests and was very helpful when my husband needed medical treatment, our room changed etc. We got to know several of the activity staff who were great! The attraction is Koro Sun’s safe small community! PIT: The general manager, Michael, was far from adequate. He never once approached my husband or I or any of the guests! He was rude to most, including staff (in front of guests!!). Frankly, I found him to be appalling!! With a resort that small, he should know the guest names…the staff sure did!! His attitude was he clearly didn’t care about his guests or appreciate their business. My husband and I travel to resorts at least twice a year and this was by far the worst general manager we have encountered (or should I actually say, viewed from afar). He purposely would avoid guests when entering a room, or push right by them, or better yet, completely ignore them.
A few other things: The food was AMAZING! Each meal was made with perfection, creativity, and you can tell it was TRUE Fijian cuisine! The soups were to die for, as were the muffins and the desserts! Downside: alcohol was skimped on overpriced and soda and water was charged!! & Also it was very sad that soda and even bottled water was NOT INCLUDED!
Lastly, the accommodations were good at best. “Ocean view” wasn’t on the ocean- it was more so, “if you look through the palm trees, across the street, you can see the blue skyline.” The outdated rain tree (not “in” the rainforest, nor in a tree) was not what we expected it to be when we arrived. It was a far walk and next to the staff quarters (unromantic!) However we asked to move and it was granted the next day. The bed was romantic with the let-down netting. The outdoor shower was awesome & always clean!! The bedding, towels and toilet paper-rarely restocked or changed but if you asked, you would receive. Also, bugs and lizards were a free attraction but given the location, it’s to be expected so we didn’t mind.
All in all, I gave it 3 stars based on what I believe a fair and honest review. I'm not happy that we spent over $1,000 extra at the resort for drinks, and excursions but It was an experience of a lifetime.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our northern unspoiled location offers you the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Fijian people, beautiful lush tropical surroundings, and warm, impossibly clear waters. In a remote setting that defines paradise, Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa immerses you in a genuine Fijian experience that's nirvana to the core. In the unspoiled native north on "Fiji's other big island" of Vanua Levu, this 160-acre sanctuary was born of a nature lover's dream. The tropical retreat is etched within a coconut plantation that's encircled by lush rainforests at the edge of a stunning private lagoon. From the moment you arrive, the Koro Sun staff embraces you like family. They greet you with a song that welcomes you to your home away from home. Certainly, the Fijians are known around the globe for being the most warm and friendly islands on earth.That hospitality - coupled with our diverse accommodations and recreation - has made Fiji's Koro Sun Resort an international favorite for relaxing holidays, active family vacations and magical romantic getaways. You may experience the latter in our brand new Edgewater Bures, with lagoon front location. Our 43 private bures and villas are spacious, individually appointed decor and fully air-conditioned. Your stay is all-inclusive - from airport transfers to bountiful gourmet fare and a flurry of non-motorized water sport activities. Beverages are additional. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koro Sun Hotel Savusavu
- Koro Sun Resort All Inclusive
- Koro Sun Resort And Rainforest Spa Fiji/Savusavu