There is a lot to like about the resort: its location which is pristine and its staff who are warm and friendly. Moreover, the resort is closely intertwined with a local village which is indeed a special thing.
There are a few issues however, that really let this place down:
-the mosquitoes are at times unbearable and will eat you alive unless you are fully clothed or wearing aeroguard
-the bures are so basic and tired.
While our kids were well taken care of in the Bula club (which is itself in need of a makeover), these two things made it diffcult for us to fully enjoy our adult time, as there wasn't anywhere to luxuriate and relax away from mosquitoes and flies. I found myself lying on a daybed reading, and having to constantly swat at the pests.
On our third day there, one of the staff asked, off-hand, if we would like to have mosquito nets on the beds. This is a must, as the concentration of mosquitoes seemed to be worst just outside our bure door.
Our bed was a saggy. The mattress was propped on a base that looked like it had buckled. Cockroaches were another common and unwelcome pest in our bure.
- The food, while previous reviewers claimed is fantastic, was for us 'just ok'. The chef was not too happy to fulfill special requests and after a while we started to realise that dessert was a waste of calories.
- massages started at 135 filji dollars/hr - more expensive than Australia
- While lying by the pool we were only approached once to ask if we would like a drink from the bar; we had to get up and order it ourselves.
- One does really wonder how the word 'eco' relates to the resort. For example, they go through hundreds if not thousands of water bottles each day, also, while we were there, a staff member killed a sting ray on the beach where kids were playing in the water
We paid $1000 per night for an entry level one-bedroom bure. Given our experience we did not feel that this was good value for money. Unfortunately for us, that sort of money sets up greater expectations, and our dream, much-needed holiday was not the pampering we were hoping for.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Hotel Savusavu
- Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort Fiji/Savusavu