“Fabulous setting, incredible staff, great food, and the perfect place for a honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turtle Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Island
Turtle Island Resort
You added Turtle Island Resort to your Saves list
Yasawa Islands, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turtle Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Turtle Island exceeded our already high expectations in finding the perfect spot for our honeymoon. Romantic, beautiful, magical, and an exceptional staff that knows you by your first name and treats you as family from the get go. The food was fantastic, fresh from the ocean and from the island's own organic garden. We absolutely enjoyed the quietude of the limited number of guests and no one trying to sell you anything (although laughter is abundant from staff and guests), as well as the choice we had to be as private or social with the other island guests as we desired. It truly is an island paradise and you can feel good that owner Richard has contributed to both the ecology of the island, and to some of the neighboring island people through an island school, and a medical clinic made available at least once a year free of cost. We came thinking Turtle would be a one time visit and trip of our life, but we've already made plans to return again to experience not only the magic of Turtle but to visit our Turtle family and the friends we made.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I found Turtle Island to be one of the most romantic destinations that I have ever visited. The beautiful, private beaches offer pure seclusion. Other than lunch and champagne delivered to us by boat, we were by ourselves in paradise- just floating on rafts, laying in rope hammocks, and snorkeling. I can understand why they picked this island out of all the islands in Fiji to film the Blue Lagoon movie - the water is that blue! The bures were spacious and and their wood workmanship was beautiful. Our Bure Papa Tommy (private butler) took care of all of our needs. He was there whenever we needed something, took care of booking all of our activities, made sure that we liked what was on the menu for dinner- but gave us our privacy. Our private "dine outs" were incredible. We dined alone for dinner on a floating dock lite with candles, and again by candlelight on the beach in front of our bure. On the other evenings, we really enjoyed meeting the other guests during cocktail hour and at the communal style table for dinner. It was enjoyable talking to people from all parts of the world in such a casual setting. Some days we just relaxed by the water with a bottle of champagne, other days we were more active with a horseback ride at sunset on the beach, or deep sea fishing. I can't rave enough about how wonderful the Turtle Island staff is. They are truly warm, caring people who really want you to have a wonderful time there. When I left, I felt that I could call many of them friends. Turtle Island is the perfect place to go if you want to spend quality alone time with your loved one, in a beautiful tropical paradise.

• Liked — Private Beaches
  • Disliked — Nothing that I can think of
  • Stayed November 2008
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Going to Turtle Island was the experience of a lifetime. It was a great vacation overall. My wife and I went for our 25th anniversary and renewed our vows in a Fijian Grand ceremony that was arranged by the Turtle Island Staff. It was a wonderful ceremony and one of the highlights was that they were able to keep it secret and surprise my wife. The entire ceremony was very interesting and romantic and this continued through to the rest of our stay at Turtle Island.
The personal touches and attention were more than enough to make you feel like royalty at this resort. All of our needs were accommodated in a fast, friendly manner. Our Bure Mama was fantastic and unbelievably attentive. The other staff there was equally as nice and quickly become a family of sorts. There is a very strong community feel at Turtle Island. The unique set up where you have dinner with the other guests really allows you to make new friends. While you still have all the privacy you could want, this resort sets itself apart by being able to bring everyone together as well. All the people were very friendly and make you feel very calm and at ease about everything. It’s the perfect place to relax and let all of your worries go. My wife and I are both excited about coming back to this resort the next chance we get.

• Liked — The Personal Attention from the Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
norman37
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

How sad to read the recent posting from a disappointed honeymooner - everyone would naturally wish their special holiday to be perfect - but the writer did confess that she had not done any research before choosing Turtle Island! My wife and I have just returned from our third visit and, for us, it was once again a delightful and life-enriching experience. It is probably not wise to choose a destination on a remote Pacific island if the things which you value are workout rooms, spas and luxury amenities. If, on the other hand, you are looking for an opportunity to share an incredibly beautiful location with the warmest-hearted islanders on God's earth (and in considerable comfort), then Turtle may well be the place for you. It does not have a pool, but instead it has a perfect beach a few paces from your bure door and many more if your taste is for solitude; it does not have a nightclub, but it does have genuine music sung from the heart by real people, with natural talent. It does not have tennis courts or water skiing, but there are horses for riding, kayaks and mountain bikes for exploring and great snorkeling right off the beach. On our recent vacation, a significant proportion of the guests were, like us, return visitors, some on their tenth stay. For those people who are drawn back, the attraction is to be part of the Turtle Family, to share meals at the communal table, to enjoy relaxed conversation and to feel the warmth of the welcome. We were privileged, last week, to take part in the most moving and beautiful wedding ceremony which we have ever witnessed. The whole island staff threw themselves into making this a magical experience for the couple and one which could be shared by all their fellow guests. It seemed to be the essence of what Turtle Island is about - creating beautiful memories by staff whose care for their guests goes so far beyond a ritual 'Bula', to genuine friendship and affection. This experience is priceless and we treasure the memories which we bring out repeatedly, until our next visit.

• Liked — Comfort without glitz, fantastic access to a perfect beach, caring Bure "Mama
  • Disliked — "What's to dislike?
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

This was my best vacation ever, by a mile. I watched other couples weep when it was their turn to leave the island, and I understood why when it was our turn. We wept too.

The physical beauty of the place, along with the friendliness of the staff and other guests make it a truly unique experience. By the second day I forgot I had another life. I honestly don't know how I will ever enjoy a vacation anywhere else.

I read some of the negative reviews and agree that if you are picky about details, this is the wrong destination for you. While the overall experience, in terms of how it makes you feel, is a solid 5-stars, you are on an island in the middle of the ocean, and there will be bug bites and equipment failures and miscommunications with the staff.

One reviewer claimed the staff went through her bags before she left. I am extremely doubtful this happened. We didn't even lock our rooms most times. I realize that sounds unwise, but if you stay there you will understand.

During my week, two couples came in directly from another 5-star resort in Fiji that is relatively new, and they had a strong preference for Turtle Island. Two other couples had vacationed on Turtle Island in the past and were back for more.

I thought it was expensive too. But after the experience, I changed my mind. It felt like a bargain every time I at my picnic lunch on my own private beach with my wife.

If you are overly picky about the little stuff, or you don't care to spend that much time with your loved one, or you don't like meeting friendly new people (who were all terrifically entertaining on my trip) this isn't the place for you. But if you think exposure to overwhelming personal and physical beauty for a week would make you happy, check out Turtle Island.

• Liked — Hot tub in the room
  • Disliked — The island has lots of biting bugs. But bug repellant works.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
sandrajohnson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We were so excited to spend our honeymoon in turtle island. Unfortunately, I had not visited this site or read any reviews before going. The resort markets itself very very well but you will be completely dissappointed if you expect luxury here. The accomodations are horrible as are the ammenties. There is no spa, no workout room, the showers and bathrooms are of awful quality and the hottub is probably from 1970s.
The food is subpar. My toast was burnt every morning. The juice is canned rather than fresh as one would expect in Fiji.

The beaches and island itself are amazing but not worth the $2000/night in any way!! If you are looking to get value for money this is not the place to go!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

First off, this was our second visit to Turtle Island as we got engaged there and now were fortunate enough to rent the entire island for our wedding. Obviously, renting an entire island for your wedding is something out of a fairy tale and our Turtle Island didn't disappoint. Having 35 of our friends and family share our special day in this stunning setting is something that will never be forgotten.

I have read all of the reviews on here and realize some are great and some not so great. I actually think it is a reflection about the type of person you are, not Turtle Island itself. I don't mean that in a demeaning way to anyone but if you are the type of person that wants white glove service 24/7, Turtle Island is not for you. Turtle Island has more of an understated, natural elegance. However, what set the week apart from any other experience was the staff. The staff on Turtle (especially Milika) went so out of the way for us that it was incredible. Our friends and family we brought to the island were stunned about how giving these people were. Ok...I know what you are thinking...of course they are nice because you rented the entire island! Well, the staff at many upscale places around the world resent the guests. Not at Turtle as these people treat you like family.

There are many beautiful beaches in the world but what sets one place above another is the people. From our bure mama Adi to Arthur and the rest of the staff, these people make you feel like you have known them forever. There might be places with more luxurious bathrooms as one person complained about but, really, what are you there for? if you are there for a beautiful environment, pristine beaches, privacy when you want it and small group settings when you don't, or for the most giving people on the planet, Turtle Island is for you. And for the price of a large wedding at home, you can rent the entire island for your closest friends and family and have the experience of a lifetime.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Turtle Island Resort? Share your experiences!