“Excellent Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turtle Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Island
Turtle Island Resort
You added Turtle Island Resort to your Saves list
Yasawa Islands, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turtle Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
“Excellent Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had originally selected TI as our honeymoon destination. But after looking at beach wedding options in the Caribbean, we decided to do it all on TI. And what a GREAT decision that turned out to be!! I second all of the fabulous things that are written about the overall TI experience in other reviews, so I will just focus on the wedding-related stuff. (But I must give a shout-out to our Bure' Momma Lu!! This is her 26th year working at TI and she is beyond amazing in ALL aspects!!) Now, about the Wedding ... Let me start by saying that for the price, $1500US, it has got to be the best value on the planet! ZERO stress and they handle EVERYTHING!!!You can read a summary of services on their website so I'll just go thru some details. Before we left the states, we had sent the TI staff the 4 forms that Fiji requires to be eligible to apply for one of their marriage licenses. We arrived in Nadi on a Thursday morning and were greeted at the airport by their staff and shown to their very nice looking onsite office. Their driver arrived shortly thereafter and took us thru the city to get our Fijian marriage license. There was a problem at the government office and they were "out" of the form that we needed! No problem, the driver had another office on the other side of the island fax the forms to the seaplane office that we were to fly out of. We filled the form out there and he assured us that he would take care of it (and he did) and send the license in a day or 2, in time for the ceremony. Upon arriving on the island, we met everybody and got settled in. Later that day, our Bure Momma Lu and manager Alex started asking us about our preferences for the wedding. By the next day, we had made our decisions (lots of options to consider, all included in the flat price). We set our date/time/location for Sunday, 5pm (a little before sunset) on the beach/lawn just down from the Bures. (BTW, they only allow 1 marriage ceremony per week).Sunday came and at 1 pm we met Reverend Timothy who had been boated in from his neighboring island to perform the ceremony. We went over the vows, etc. Then my fiance' was escorted away by Momma Lu to the spa for her massage, facial, and various other pamperings. At 4pm Momma Lu and photographer Ray came to my bure. She hung a freshly made, 5 lb floral leigh around my neck and Ray shot video and took pics. They escorted me to a waiting golf cart that took me down to the wedding site. There were about 30 islanders/staff and the other 6 vacationers who were on the island on that day in attendance. At 5pm, we could here a loud noise coming from the bar/spa area. They had loaded my fiance' on to the billi billi (ceremonial raft) and had set sail. 2 guys in native clothing poling and 1 blowing a conch shell. They sailed the 200 yards down to us and carried her onto the beach. The ceremony was a typical 15 minute Protestant ceremony. Afterwards, after a glass of champagne, a Kava ceremony was held on our behalf. Then they brought out an incredibly ornate cake of our favorite flavor. Then their choir sang 4 songs before we were both loaded onto the billi billi for the return voyage to the celebration dinner. A word about the photography/video. Ray has been working on TI for 28 years and really knows what he is doing! He takes pictures/vids of everybody all week and compiles them at the end of your stay into very nice albums. We were expecting a few pics and a fuzzy video clip. Instead, on the day we were leaving the island, we were given 2 cds, 2 dvds and 2 very nice wooden photo albums with a few select pics printed and inserted. There were about 180 pics on the cds as good as any professional photography you will see in the US. The wedding video was about 23 minutes long, very crisp, clear with good audio track too.
We've been to many nice resorts all over the place. What puts TI above all of these truly is the people! They are never NOT smiling, are always laughing and always making sure that you have everything you could possibly want. They love to interact with the visitors and joke and laugh around. Alex and his right-hand man, Arthur, lead by example and are really great at keeping things running smoothly and fulfilling an incredible amount of special requests!! We WILL go back for some anniversaries in the future!!!

Room Tip: 13 of the bures are essentially the same. +/-4 of these are just off of the beach with the remainder...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just returned this morning from our honeymoon at Turtle. It was the best 10 days I have spent anywhere.

The service is truly unique. It is not so much what the staff does as it is how they do it. Our bure mama, Adi, was absolutely fantastic. She really did feel like part of our family when we left. On our second to last day she gave my wife a fantastic hour-long foot massage on the beach outside our bure as we talked about our lives. Also, Dara led us on a fantastic reef fishing trip and went way beyond the call of duty. We had 60 staff on hand to take care of 6-8 couples during our stay. Virtually every staff member is a Christian and you can tell that they truly serve with the joy of the Lord. They really are sharing their home with you and make it feel like your home. Whether it is bar staff, the dock man or the behind the scenes maintenance, everyone greets you by first name and with a hearty Bula! Bula! By the end of the trip, I wanted to say something at the morning staff meeting instead of feeling that I was being forced to.

The beauty of the island is unbelievable. Our walks around the island were spectacular. The sunrise on Long Beach was unforgettable. The night sky is breath taking with spectacular views of the Milky Way galaxy. The private beaches were simply amazing. They are in every sense of the word private. And, they are beautiful. It is a truly awesome experience to have an entire beach to yourself.

We stayed in Vonu Point (Bure 1). The bure provides great views of the main beach and lagoon. It is definitely a more private than the other bures (although it is not hundreds of yards away from all the others as at least one previous review mentioned). However, there are plans to make it even more private (a screen to block the beach from the day bed and maybe a private plunge pool and beach for the bure). Not everything functioned perfectly (the louvered windows could be tricky and the water pressure in the shower was low). But, this did not take away from our experience. The bure is on tap for a renovation as well.

I only rate the sleep quality very good because I like it cold and don't sleep as well with a fan blowing on me. However, this was a minor inconvenience. And, the almost completely darkness at night and ocean breezes made up for it.

The food is simple but good. Much of the seafood is prepared with just olive oil, salt, and pepper. But, it really doesn't need anything else. While the food is good, it is not Iron Chef or Michelin quality. Although, I think this type of food would be out of place with the atmosphere of the resort and actually take away from the overall experience. Picnic lunches were hit and miss. We had the most success with lobster and shrimp and fish skewers. The lunches at the main table were better and more consistent. After our fishing trip, the chef prepared two excellent courses, one with each of the fish we caught that morning. Almost all the ingredients are sourced on the island, which means the fresh vegetables are really fresh and really good. My wife and I do not eat gluten and do not drink alcohol. We noted this on our pre-arrival form. It was handled perfectly by the resort without us ever having to mention it while we were there. We were served gluten free rolls and desserts every night at dinner. Our favorite dessert was the homemade ice cream with fresh passion fruit or banana syrup. Our bure mama made sure we had fresh gluten-free brownies and cookies in our room every day. And, the bartender always had a new fruity, alcohol-free cocktail for us.

We made us several private dine outs. We had dinner on the pontoon under a beautiful starry sky, at the end of the dock, and in front of bure. All were great. We also had breakfast and lunch at our bure a number of times.

I am not a big massage person. I only had two in my life prior to coming to Turtle. However, my complimentary one was so good that I immediately signed up for a second half hour massage. My wife had two extra one-hour massages.

Basically, anything that you ask for the staff makes happen. If you don't get it, it is because you didn't ask. The staff will not be obtrusive so that you have as much privacy as possible. So, just ask for whatever you want.

I read every review on the site before going. It's hard to imagine not falling in love with Turtle. My wife was on the verge of tears when we had to leave. I can only imagine that anyone that complains about Turtle will complain about anything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have visited at least ten "luxury resorts" in the Fiji Islands over the past 12 years, but this was our first visit to Turtle Island. My wife and I spent 8 glorious days there enjoying the finest island resort I have yet encountered. The staff is spectacular and truly care about their visitors, the food is unsurpassed, and we enjoyed a truly great time fishing, hiking , snorkeling and just plain relaxing. The brand new bar and the updated bures leave little if anything to complain about. Turtle is expensive , but truly all inclusive and is worth every cent paid. It is the best ,most comfortable, and most exclusive look at paradise imaginable. Kudos to the management and the wonderful staff on this special Fijian island.

Room Tip: Request a different wine if the ones served at your meal is not your favorite. There are many great...
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

W'ell I don't know if the've ever had a group party celebrating a 50th birthday but, they got one. We had four Bur's (Villas) and we had the time of lives and I think we'll be back...if the'll take us ..LOL. The beaches amazing, the service off the charts (with your own Bur momma who is our equivalent of a butler with kindness and always a smile. The was nothing we ever asked for that did'nt appear and have a special fijian touch to it. From my Rum Punch's at the beach, to our private birthday lunch on Long's beach fully decorated and catered to perfection, to all of our private beach dinners each one decorated differently and out of this world. You'll fall in love with all of the fijian staff and especially your bur Momma's. You'll be say Bula and hugging and kissing them all everyday in no time....(That's how they live there lives, with smiles and kindness).

Room Tip: There all great, If you want seclusion they get the best room on the point. Of course you'll p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Bula! What a great time we had. All eight of us. Arthur, Alex with the staff make sure nothing is missed. Its like they can read your minds, with private lunches and dinners ( if you like ). Every meal was better than the last. They truly make your dreams come true. Kip Smiling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We visited Turtle Island as it was on our bucket list and could not have been happier ... Apart from the wonderful private beaches that your delectable lunch was delivered too accompanied by a wonderful selection of wines at your requested times, the new spa with the unique four hands massage plus much more, the delightful vegetation and picture perfect tropical outlook and the ever constant commitment from all staff to enjoy yourself and smile ... Our mama (private butler) Taru just added a special warmth and feeling of home to our holiday, she provided many special touches and predicted with precision our needs and wants ... We will return and remember rule one is smile and if in doubt rule two is always to revert back to rule one

Room Tip: Most rooms are great ... They are upgrading some now
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Beautiful, relaxing, casual elegance at it best. No worries , no cares and incredible staff and guest. We felt at home from the moment we stepped off the seaplane on to the beach. It is not just a vacation but a experience!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Turtle Island Resort? Share your experiences!