“The people are the best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Turtle Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Island
Turtle Island Resort
You added Turtle Island Resort to your Saves list
Yasawa Islands, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turtle Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newhall
“The people are the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Romantic connections were made. Privacy and service were the absolute best. Never saw another plane in the sky except for the seaplane that flew us in.
Loved the private beaches and the private dinners on the beach.
Loved the family dinners with other guests.
Wow!
I want to go back

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Laguna Niguel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

If rustic elegance is what you seek in the ULTIMATE romantic location with the friendliest staff on earth and beautiful accommodations with delicious food and activities to do at your leisure, if ever, then Turtle Island is the PERECT place to go.

My husband and I as well as our good friends went to celebrate our anniversaries on Turtle Island from 9/20/2012 to 9/27/2012. It was the BEST 7 days of vacation I've ever experienced. I am not the world’s most traveled person but, I have been on over a dozen international vacations and have been on the most amazing cruises both European rivers, Mediterranean and Caribbean. I have never actually considered that a place as perfect as Turtle Island existed even after reading the raving reviews and speaking to a couple that had been there. I was in awe!

The first impression is of the Island staff holding a sign welcoming you and of course two gorgeous "warriors" carrying you to shore (sorry folks, this is for ladies only!). Then you are "welcomed home." This phrase is not a gimmick, they mean it and the feeling you get from that response resonates through your body. After 2 days you realize that this staff and this place is truly magical.

The Bure Mama makes you feel the warmth and nurturing you may not realize you missed or never got. It is a warmth that exists in the Fijian people. You will likely feel this same feeling from Arthur, Jerry, Bill, Atu, Jay, Mathew, Danny, Sai and all of the other staff. They are so sweet, warm and funny! They will make you feel alive, refreshed and renewed and maybe even give you a little lesson on survival (don't miss the coconut demonstration...seriously!) and the water will melt your heart. The diving, fishing and snorkeling are world class. The food is organic and grown on the island and prepared day after day in the most refreshing and delicious ways. You will not be disappointed here. The accommodations are large, warm and offer every possible amenity and views from every one of the bures. The refrigerators are restocked daily and the snacks are 24/7. How does a pitcher of mojitos sound at 4:00 as you relax in your oceanside hammock? Well, this is only the beginning.

I cannot profess enough my love for a place and a people and an experience as I could or would for Turtle Island. It is romantic, beautiful, fun, delicious, entertaining and relaxing in a way that doesn't exist anywhere on earth, except here. It is magic!

If you EVER get the opportunity to go to see magic in action, visit Turtle Island and tell them Cora and Pam Olsen sent you. I might just see you there...I will be back!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just got back from Turtle Island a week ago and it is so hard to come back to reality. This was our second visit to Turtle island and we could not wait to go back. It was even better the second time around and now we cannot wait to go back again!
If you are looking for a place that is unlike any other - then you need to go to Turtle Island. The island itself is breathtakingly beautiful but the staff is what really makes it!!! They are the most affectionate and loving peple that you will ever meet in your life. They get you to appreciate the simple things in life. The laughter is never ending and there is no way that you cannot enjoy yourself. If you want privacy you can have that but most likely you can't wait to get back to the rest of the guests and your turtle family. The communal dining is what makes it. I know the first time we went there my husband was dreading the communal dining and the end of this trip he said that is what makes it so special and unlike any other.

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on the Island and renewed our vows. To say it was an unbelievable experience - would be a complete understatement. We cannot thank our turtle family for all of the beautiful extra touches they did for us. The flowers and setting were absolutley amazing and the ceremony itself was so very special!!! We can never thank you enough!!!! I am not an emotional person but I had tears of joy all day.

This is more than just a five star resort - it is an experience of a lifetime!!!! It doesn't matter what you do for a living - no one cares. Everyone is on a first name basis and extremely friendly. You can see people fully relax within a day of being there. The private beaches are so beautiful and a great time to catch up with your loved one. True romance in every aspect of the word.

Thank you to Aurthur, Jerry, Mikai, Erami, Matthew, Bill, Dame, Buna, Mela, Tokasa, Neal, and all of the rest of the staff - I wish I could list all 80 of you. A special thank you to Mama Ala for taking such good care of us. You are so lucky to be living in paradise!!! Until we come back again - Vinaka!!!!

Room Tip: All of the Bures are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in Bure #3 and then Bure #1. Bure #1 is their...
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been lucky enough in my life to travel through Europe, the Caribbean, Hawaii - a multitude of times, Alaska & a lot of other stops in between. But coming to Turtle Island tops them all! I watched all the videos & read all the reviews, but none of it prepared me for the experience I was about to have. The moment your toes touch the sand, the drink is placed in your hand, the people sing their welcome & finish with "Bula, welcome home", it hits you. This is Paradise!

This vacation is so different from all the others because of the people. To me, it's because on other vacations you can be treated well by the resort &/or staff, but on Turtle Island, you become family. It's so amazing because while you see the staff working away at their jobs, you see them enjoying their lives. There are a whole lot of people today that forget how to do that. The people reminded me of some very important life lessons. I hope I never forget them again. Life can be short, don't waste a minute. They seem to know how to balance it.

For the people that weren't happy with Turtle Island, I say I feel sorry for you and your family. If you can't find joy & contentment here, you probably couldn't find it if it bit you on the nose.

Thank you Arthur, Billy, Jerry, Lei & most especially momma Mili & all the rest of the staff on Turtle Island. Even you Alex, our German Fijian! Hahaha! I still can't wipe the smile off my face. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

Room Tip: All of the bures really are nice. I was worried I might get one that was sub par, but they were all...
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Sure, you go to Turtle Island because you want spectacular beauty -- the kind you only see in "paradise" movies. And you get it in spades: teal sea, black rocks, white sand, fluttering palms. It's so stunning I couldn't even bring myself to take my eyes off it and read my book. But it's what you DIDN'T expect -- what you never even knew you wanted -- that brings tears to your eyes when you leave the place. It's the people. Others have said it here, but it can't be overstated. At Turtle Island, you aren't an invading customer being catered to by strangers; you are an honored guest in a remote, authentic village where the dockman, gardeners, chef, bartender, and machine-shop repairmen laugh loudly and spontaneously burst into multipart-harmony a cappella song all day long as they sweep your bungalow with a palm-frond broom, prepare the motorboat for your daily trip to a private (and I mean PRIVATE) beach, and light candles for your seaside dinner on the sand. You leave Turtle knowing for certain that you've had the trip of your lifetime -- and longing to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
kapalua, Maui Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

It's been a while since we went to Turtle Island but writing a review tonight about another hotel reminded me of the best vacation we've ever had. At Turtle Island nothing is beyond the capabilities of the staff. Whether it be a sunrise horseback ride on Long Beach with champagne and fresh pastries and a linen covered table at the end of the beach, to a dinner in the mangrove swamp alone with your lover with the sounds of crabs among the trees, to a lunch on a secluded beach where the second "Blue Lagoon" movie was filmed (and the tiki god is still buried in the jungle), to a kava filled evening of Figian music and dance; there is nothing like Turtle Island. When Richard Evanson (owner of the island) came up to me, knowing that I was a surgeon, and asked me to help one of his employees with an infection, there was no hesitation to help these people and Richard. They are the examples of everything that is simple but pleasurable in our lives. After draining an abscess and giving this man some antibiotics, Richard thanked me and gave us a free nights lodging on our next trip. We've not returned yet, but will before long. It's hard to forget when you ask for lunch to be served at a secluded beach at 2 pm and right to the minute a boat arrives, your native friend sets a linen covered table, pops the cork on a bottle of Charles Heidsieck Brut and serves two lobsters, crab, a mango salsa, and sweets. He also was respectful enough to allow us to put our clothes on before beaching his craft. We met so many wonderful people on our trip which was just like icing on the cake. There is nothing to say about Turtle Island except "5 STAR".

Room Tip: Any bure is great.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Fiji is beautiful. We went to Fiji in 2005 & 2011, both times we went to Turtle Island, which is a very beautiful resort with all inclusive and activities including horses, snorkeling, boat, games, Kava Ceremony every night with dancing & singing. Wonderful & beautiful Bure Suites with a King Size Bed, living room, kitchen area, etc. and a Bure Mama who meets all your needs.

Room Tip: All Suites are on the front of the beach. One higher level is up on the top of the island and it is...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Turtle Island Resort? Share your experiences!