From the moment when we first arrived at Dolphin Bay we fell in love with this beautiful place. We were lucky enough to arrive in the early evening, so we had our own "sunset cruise" on the transfer boat from Taveuni over to the resort and when we were there, everything was lit by candles and torches, creating an absolutely magical feeling.
There's so much to rave about this resort, but I don't want to make this review too long (and much of what one needs to know has already been mentioned in earlier reviews), so I will try to stick to the essentials:
Things that we liked:
- Everyone at the resort, owners and local staff alike, is so hospitable and friendly, it's incredible. They really care for their guests! Viola is in charge of the resort and Roland in charge of the diving, and both do a terrific job. Many people have written they felt treated like family - I would actually go one step further and say we genuinely felt treated like friends.
- The diving is fantastic - the resort is very close to the famous rainbow reef, which means short boat rides, and the guides are very knowledgable and competent. Again, the service is perfect: you don't even need to carry your equipment to the boat and they really strive to make the diving an enjoyable experience for everyone. The rental equipment is also in a very good condition.
- We stayed in one of their Bures, which are not huge, but very comfortable. They are serviced daily and in the evening (during dinner) there is a turn-down service arranging the mosquito net, so you don't even have to do that yourself. The Bures are located tucked away behind some coconut trees about 20m from the shoreline and the bed is standing next to the window facing to the sea, so you are practically sleeping right on the beach, and each morning we were woken by the sun coming up behind the sea.
- We can't manage to live without internet for more than a few days. Luckily, the resort had wifi so we could go online every afternoon after diving.
- Having (true candle-light) dinner at the big table under the starlit sky together with Viola, Roland and all other guests is an experience not to be missed. The food is excellent (3-course dinner in the evening) and the staff takes care of dietary peculiarities (allergies, vegetarians etc.) so they get an extra meal. Great variety of fresh fish, traditional llovo dishes, local fruits etc.
Things we didn't like:
There wasn't a thing. Honestly. For us, everything was just perfect. Maybe apart from the fact that we had to leave when our five nights stay was over. We will definitely make sure we stay longer next time!
- Also Known As:
- Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat Hotel
- Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat Hotel Taveuni Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat is a small family style dive resort on the Rainbow Reef in Fiji. Accessible by boat only it nestles in a horseshoe bay, surrounded by Rainforest, White Sandy Beach and Palm trees. Minutes to all the dives sites including the world famous white wall, famous for Softcorals, 20+ dive sites to choose from this is the ideal dive spot. Dolphins, Reef Sharks, tropical fish, it's all there, including a PADI dive shop where you can take courses in English or German. Accommodations range from bure with private bathrooms to Safari Tents with shared bathrooms, all with comfortable beds and mattresses and very close to the beach. Let the soft lull of the waves put you to sleep, sip a glass of wine in your hammock and let the fish go by! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, EasyToBook, Travelocity and HostelBookers so you can book your Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.