“Garden Island Taveuni” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Taveuni Island
San Diego, California, United States
“Garden Island Taveuni”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

As part of my visit to several resorts in Fiji in April, I had the chance to stop at Garden Island in Taveuni. Not a scheduled stop but one that I wanted to see. There had been a lot of changes there and I wanted to see them first hand. Please note, I did not stay there, dive there, or eat there, it was a quick visit to see the upgrades. They now have a very nice pier that goes out a good distance. They are adding to that pier to allow for power yachts to use. The resort is not the typical Fijian ambiance, in fact it is very European in its styling. The bottom floor rooms all have a Jacuzzi on the porch, the uppers do not. All the rooms have been upgraded and are very nice. I like this resort but if you are looking for that Fijian ambiance, you will not get a lot of that, but if you want a clean, well run resort with access to some great diving and have a smaller budget, this is a great resort for you! The owner, Philip, is very nice and made us feel very welcomed even though it was an unannounced visit.

Room Tip: spend the extra and get the jacuzzi rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Taveuni
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

There may be wonderful cottages right on the ocean and beautiful expensive rooms on the island of Taveuni that make you feel tropical but if you’re looking for the most comfortable room the Garden Island cannot be beat. Beautiful King size beds with wonderful pillows all imported sheets that make you feel comfy wonderful and cozy. The room can also boast about air conditioning TV, DVD player and streams of hot and cold water for your shower. What I love about the rooms at the Garden Island is I can just stay in my room and enjoy my vacation from there, not recommended of course. Also included with your room is room service when you would like a meal sent up. Least I forget the rooms in the Hotel also have a Jacuzzi, nice while you are having a drink at sunset. All imported tiles completes the room along with Wi-Fi, coffee and tea maker and lots of towles.The hotel in addition has its own restaurant, bar, pool and dive shop right at your fingertips. Centrally located the Garden Island which is reasonablebly priced is your best choice. Perfect also for large groups and conventions with pick up service from the airport adds more value to this fine resort.

Room Tip: lower rooms for the Jacuzzi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at Garden Island over spring break and loved every moment of it. The resort itself is beautiful and spotlessly clean, the rooms are homey and comfortable, and I got to wake every morning to a beautiful ocean sunrise. The resort is right on the beach and you can easily swim or snorkel in the clear water. Garden Island's expert dive master gave me a half-day dive class and then to Rainbow Reef. It was my first time diving and I had a blast seeing the beautiful reef and the creatures that live there. The staff is friendly, the food is delicious, and I had a wonderful and relaxing vacation. Would definitely recommend to anyone traveling to Taveuni!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have a beautiful view, but the ones on the ground floor are a bit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Dive team are extremely professional, the Rainbow Reef is spectacular.
The room could not have been any cleaner, every morning we had our choice of tea or coffee as we sat on our patio watching the waves, what a site.
I have traveled a great deal around the world, the members of the staff are well trained and very friendly and professional.
Breakfast was wonderful, every morning we were greeted by fresh baked muffins on our table , then off to the buffet, which offered many choices.
The fish was always fresh and cooked to perfection, as I do not eat red meat, I do feel I am some what of a fish foodie, the chicken was always moist and flavorful, and the deserts oh my, always save room for the best deserts you can imagine.
I always looked forward to my massages in the afternoon, oh what a treat.
I would like to thank the staff and management for a making my visit to the Garden Island Resort a wonderful experience.
You will be seeing more of me and many of my friends in the future.
thank you again for a wonderful vacation.
Elaine

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor, loved the patio and hot tub.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CHI_Intl, Public Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay at Garden Island Resort. are extremely pleased that our delicious food, friendly staff and world class diving was able to make your trip to Taveuni a memorable one.
Thanks again for your kind words, we look forward to having you back with us at the next time you visit Fiji.
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at Garden Island Resort oct/Nov 2012 and had a wonderful time. There were 5 of us that came for a scuba diving vacation. The dive staff was wonderful and took very good care of us and took specail care for some of the novice divers. The reefs were full of life with lots of critters to see. The resort itself was great also. The management made us feel right at home and went out of their way to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The resort staff was awesome and friendly We loved our rooms very modern and comfortable. Thanks to all who made our Fiji trip very memorable and we have decided to return summer 2014 - so Garden Island please have our same rooms ready and waiting for us. Thanks again Randy, Janie, Kevin, Shanna, and Ashley

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

First of all...who is CHI International? Do not be fooled they are not part of the acclaimed CHI Hotels & Resorts. This is a poorly managed family business an I have no idea how they have achieved a 4 and a half star rating on tripadvisor.

Whilst Fiji is a great destination and the diving was spectacular, it was unfortunately overshadowed in the end by blasé management that seemed to worry more about caring for their private guest than paying guests. The management did not make us feel welcome and were barely able to offer a smile.

Every time a problem was brought forward to the management, they tried to blame it on something else such as the guest. 8 people got food poisoning after the same meal and their initial response was that blamed it was not their food but a stomach virus???? Shower hot water lasted about 2 minutes.

The resort itself is also nothing special but luckily we spent most of the time on the reefs.

None of the above can be blamed on the Fijian staff whom fortunately they did their best to make the stay pleasurable. We were lucky to spend most of our time with them. I wish the Fijians managed the resort...

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CHI_Intl, Public Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We're sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience at Garden Island and we appreciate your feedback. We have discussed your situation with management and will be addressing issues that need to be improved. We're glad you were able to remain objective and appreciate the beauty and splendor of the resort. We hope we will be able to dive with you again.

For clarification, CHI International is a family owned luxury hospitality company from Hong Kong that manages a wide range of stylish properties across the globe including Garden Island Resort, modern hotels and residences in Hong Kong and Shanghai. For more information please see http://www.chi-international.com.hk/
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Food poisoning, Poor Dive Shop (bump & smash your dive gear) & new owners that never went to "hotel school." I was there during the 2d week of October, when the owners' relatives were visiting. I can't explain the whole, awful experience in 200 words or less so: Honestly, stay-away from this place. The"new" design is straight out of an overpriced & tasteless FLA condo.

Our dive group all got Food Poisoning which the Owner insisted was the "flu". Owner never checked on us and never apologized.

Dive shop staff are nice but that is where it ends; not professional.

I've never written a bad review here. Dear Reader, you do not know me, nor I you, but caveat emptor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Garden Island Resort? Share your experiences!