“A romantic gorgeous fantasy like resort” 5 of 5 stars

Taveuni Island Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Matei | Taveuni, Taveuni Island, Fiji   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Pacific Harbour, Fiji
“A romantic gorgeous fantasy like resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

Taveuni Island Resort was the most beautiful and romantic resort I have ever stayed in. I am in the travel business and specialize in Island Resorts. This resort impressed me in every sense of the word.
The bures are extremely spacious and decorated so beautifully...the canopy bed is so comfortable and has mosquito netting but I never saw a mosquito! The way they are designed with the windows and doors opening up gives you the sense of being outside while still inside! The ocean views are spectacular!
The food is gourmet and so delicious we looked forward to every meal! I am vegetarian and loved all the dishes..especially the fish! My partner is not vegetarian and he loved everything as well.
The coffee was delicious and every meal and all the bar drinks were excellent!
We took lots of excusions to waterfalls and lavena coastal walk with both Lilly and Sai who couldn't have been more fun to be with...we had the time of our lives and also met lots of other guests who were lots of fun.
The grounds of the resort are too beautiful to even begin to describe...rare red palms and so many gorgeous plants...
The staff are all excellent...the owners are very very friendly and the guests they seem to attract are as well!
All I can say is I stayed in May and can't wait to go back in June!!!
If you are looking for romance....Taveuni Island Resort is the best!

• Liked — The openness and romantic atmosphere of it
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

My husband and I were married at Taveuni Island Resort on the 28th March 2008.

From the moment Daniel and I arrived we were absolutely blown away! The resort was sensational! We were greeted with fruit cocktails, a Fijian welcome song and a keepsake necklace. Our Bure was heavenly with picture perfect views of the ocean and neighbouring islands. The ambience of the bure was filled with Love and Romance, decorated throughout with perfectly placed fresh flowers. Daniel was especially impressed with the outdoor shower and the air conditioner!

We did not have to do a single thing in preparation for our wedding, everything you could think of was taken care off….my bouquet, Daniels Lai, my hair styling ,the white flags, the arch (decorated with frangipannis by hand), the celebrant, the vows, a Meke, wedding cake, and wedding dinner.
The Meke was performed by the all the staff’s children. In all I think there were 30 children singing in prefect harmony and exuding their passion and energy through Fijian dance. It was without doubt the most amazing concert I have ever witnessed.
There were 11 guests at the resort who were all witness to our wedding. They become our extended family and their presence made our day even more special and memorable. If you’d like to see photos of our wedding check out our photographers site http://www.tokmanimagez.com/

There are endless ways to pass the time in Taveuni, we were never bored and were so happy relaxing and being newlyweds that we kept our activities to a minimum. We immensely enjoyed snorkelling at the beach, kayaking, swimming in the pool or socializing at the bar before dinner with our new friends! Each evening we were provided with entertainment by the staff. They played the guitar and sang local Fijian songs whilst we dined.

The staff were exceptionally helpful in helping us plan day trips when we wanted to explore…
We visited the isolated ‘Picnic Island’, enjoying a picnic lunch, and had tremendous fun snorkelling and exploring the island at low tide.
My favourite tour was “Go Fijian for a Day” which I highly recommend. Ali, our guide is an excellent storyteller and he has extensive knowledge of Fijian history, culture and Taveuni rainforests.
On our last day we visited the Bouma Rainforest where the 3 Tavoro Waterfalls are. Our guide Joe, led us to all three waterfalls (which was about a 3 hour return hike including stopping for photos and swimming). The waterfalls are picture perfect and a must do whilst in Taveuni.
Another of my favourite experiences was a cooking lesson presented by Joe, Ko and Sayed at the Resort. It is truly amazing to learn how many ways you can use coconut, it’s husk and the leaves! Everyone was hands on and had so much fun.

We stayed at the Resort for 9 days and we were served 3 course meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never in my life have I experienced such fine dining in succession, I could not complain about a single meal. The food was fresh, unique and all with sensational flavours.

The owners Do and Rick, the staff; Anne, Onny, Berlinna, Olive, Thomas, Ko, Joe and Sayed, just to name a few were all so friendly and attentive, they would go out of their way to satisfy or help with any request.

Taveuni Island Resort exceeded my expectations by far! They provide the most spectacular wedding destination, romance and privacy, first class accommodation and service. I had the most memorable wedding / honeymoon and holiday rolled into one. We immensly enjoyed every moment of our stay.

If you have any queries regarding this breathtaking Resort please contact me for more details.

Regards,
Tunya

• Liked — Cleanliness, outdoor shower, air conditioner, views, king sized bed, ambience
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

My wife and I spent 9 days at the Taveuni Island Resort in January, 2008. Because this is considered the off-season in Fiji, the boutique resort on the west side of the island was not full and at many times, it was like having our own secluded South Pacific paradise. We found everything about the Taveuni Island Resort to be first class and would highly recommend it.

We went diving three times with Tyrone Valentine and Vunibokoi Divers (my wife obtained her certification) and found that the reefs and their multitude of colorful inhabitants were spectacular. Tyrone and his assistants took excellent care of us and we also highly recommend them.

The owners of the Taveuni Island Resort, Rick and Do, and their staff were extremely friendly and efficient, and meals, served on a lovely open air deck, were excellent. The views from anyplace on the property are spectacular. Our "bure" had floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean in both the bedroom and in the large sitting room, and the outdoor shower (very private) was a nice amenity that contributed to the island feel.

We each enjoyed two of the resort's island spa treatments (as if going barefoot most of the time, enjoying tropical drinks, lazily reading books under the shade of a thatched roof, and listening to live Fijian music in the evenings weren't relaxing enough!).

We also had an opportunity to drive around Taveuni Island and passed some of the other resorts there. Taveuni Island Resort was the nicest of any that we saw and had the best location -- about 2 minutes from the airport, looking over the Somosomo Straits. This is a first-class intimate resort and we would definitely consider returning.

• Liked — Very, very relaxing. Beautiful scenery. Excellent diving.
  • Disliked — I would love it if the resort were closer to me (Los Angeles). It would be easier to go back!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

Absolutely stunning new roomy luxury oceanfront bure with the best views for an island resort that I have ever seen. Great staff .
Not a full traditional style resort but staying in very expensive thatched ,all timber fijian resorts with traditional food is OK once or twice but the Taveuni Island Resort compromise was the best mix after visiting fiji resorts for the last 20 years.
The island itself is the best I've seen and would love to go mid year.
Tony and Deb

• Liked — Style and Opulence
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

After visiting a location, I usually ask myself 2 things. The first is would I return to the geographic location I visited and second, would I stay at the same place? The answer to this is an enthusiastic yes to both. My wife and I visited Taveuni Island Resort for our 7 year anniversary. From the time we arrived to the time we departed we were looked after by the staff. Upon arrival, we were received by the staff singing a traditional Fijian welcoming song and greeted with a refreshing tropical fruit beverage. After a quick but ample orientation as how the resort works and what to expect, we were escorted to our Bure. We were booked for an Ocean Front Bure which backed right up to the cliffs of Taveuni over looking the Somosomo straight and a view of Vanua Levu in the back round. The Bure was spotless and had a bedroom area that also had a sitting area, a decent sized bathroom and plenty of closet/drawer space, a mini fridge, and another room which amounted to basically a living room with plenty of seating area through out and a mini bar with coffee service. It had beautiful greenish black tiles in all living areas and white tile in the bath area and the porch. The back porch ran along the whole length of the building and was well shaded with trees and a roof line. The roof was built around the trees and that's where we spent most of our time when we were in the room. They were cleaned daily and it was very well maintained. There was also 2 lounge chairs on the porch to watch those amazing sunsets and a nice sized dining table. The outdoor shower is liberating. The food service was great and we usually had it served to our room at no additional costs for breakfast, but you can have all 3 meals in your room if you want. We usually opted for lunch and dinner in the dining area which also has a great view of the Somosomo straight and the infinity pool. The food choices for breakfast were pretty much anything you wanted. They gave you usually 2 to 3 choices for luch or dinner which was usually a choice of a fish dish, a meat dish or a vegtable dish. Although not many options, the food was exceptional and my taste buds never got bored. Having a scaled down menu was actually a good thing. This was suprising to me because usually on vacation with many options, I tend to long for home food; but in this case it never happened. They can also take requests for the more discerning pallet, or if you have special nutritional requirements. The staff to guest ratio is high as this is a very small and inclusive resort, so you are treated like royalty while you are there and are quick with a smile or a hand if needed. The grounds are immaculate and the staff can help you book any excursions on the island if you are looking to get out. We dove 4 of the days we were there and took a day to do some sight seeing. We opted to rent a car and experience it for ourselves versus with a guide. You can do a quick tour in one full day, but I would recomend at least 2 days to see the Island. Must do's are 1. diving (if you're certified) 2. The natural waterslide 3. Bouma Falls. The resort also has entertainment several nights a week, and must do's at the resort are 1. Kava ceremony 2. Meke ceremony 3. Free cooking lesson.
There are more activities to do on the Island as well, and the resort has an entire list from other Island excursions to inner island excursions, to horse back riding and they are more than helpful to get you set up with a reputable tour operator. In addition, the resort several times a week has a local band that plays accoustic guitar and sings. They are actually very-very good and also provided us with a private dinner side anniversary song at our table. We had an excellent time there and will definitely go back. As for the people that gave a bad review, I think they must have gotten this place confused with the Taveuni Garden Island Resort which I am not knocking as it it what it is, (a lower end resort dedicated to divers just looking for a place to park at night), but they obviously didn't stay where I stayed. This review is coming from a seasoned traveller who has done the budget thing to the luxury thing mostly in the Pacific Islands and Caribbean and trust me, for the money; you can't get this kind of luxury for your buck outside the Caribbean. This would easily cost you tripple in Tahiti and about the same in the Caribbean for a superior resort. I don't know how they do it, but they do. When you depart, the staff will sing you a fairwell song, so be prepared to get a little misty-eyed. If you go, please tell them Scott and Julie from NJ say Bula and Vinaka !!!

• Liked — Having our own private building.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Amazing wedding and honeymoon! We Arrived on Oct 27th, 2007 and were married on Oct 31st, all I can say is that the wedding was BETTER then I DREAMED!!! Do (the owner) and her crew took care of everything. All we had to do was show up. The entire trip (8 days) was total relaxation and pampering. The resort and the island are beautiful. If you don't like the typical "touristy" vacation and would like to go somewhere that you can be pampered, snorkel, hike, and also learn about the local people this is the place to go. The snorkeling from the resort was fantastic along with the trip we took to a secluded island. We also took a historic tour from a pineapple plantation into the jungle that was great (right out of Jurassic Park), very educational and in the middle of the trip you get to hike to a waterfall and swim in the pool at the bottom. Another thing to rave about is the food. It was wonderful-I am a very picker eater and had no problem with the food....everything was delicious. This resort and island should be on your top list of places to visit. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The privacy and you could do as little or as much as you wanted each day
  • Disliked — nothing....everything was absolutely amazing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We stayed at Taveuni Island Resort in August of this year. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty! All the staff were so friendly and hospitable. Do and Rick (the owners) have put their heart and soul into this resort and it really shows. The villas are amazing and the position on a cliff top is to die for! Every meal we had was absolutley exceptional and it was never a problem to eat when and where we wanted. We highly recommend this resort and look forward to returning soon. Such a magical experience and Exceptional in every way!

• Liked — lovely bed linen
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Taveuni Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!