“A little slice of home in paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makaira Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
Makaira Resort
You added Makaira Resort to your Saves list
Coastal Road | Matei, Taveuni Island +679, Fiji   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland NZ
“A little slice of home in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Set on 4.5 acres of coconut palms and tended gardens its always like coming home when I step out of the taxi .Oringinally from Kona Hawaii John and Robertas Makaira is a reflection of that laid back island living style.

With two bures set in the palms privacy is no problem. Both have phones with free local calls, Wifi internet cookiing facilities with all the other usuall amenities. Lots of windows for the fiew and screens to keep out the mozzies.

If you want meals prepared John can cook and serve you in their own cafe. Wow the views while you eat.

Johns has a background in the Kona Gamefishing fleet so if fishing is you thing charter the boat and you can have fresh fish for dinner.

With local staff enjoy the freindly attention they will heap on you try a Kava ceremony with your evening meal and finish with a sing along to island songs.

Try the dipping pool for a romantic end to the evening even it has a great view.

This truely is a place to forget the job and the stress, the only bummer is getting in the taxi to leave

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

makaira is one of a kind, and roberta, john, and their staff felt like family from day one. we've just come home and are already planning our next visit. if you're looking for a low-key getaway, there's no better place to do it, and between the lot of the makaira family, there's nothing these guys don't know about taveuni and its unrivaled waters. john is a legendary fisherman (ask anyone on the island) and roberta knows every inch of reef like the back of her hand. and then there's baba's banana pancakes...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I have never had such a perfect vacation as I did at Makaira. I had had a very long arduous period at work with alot of stress and needed to go somewhere to recover. I was taken in by the entire staff and cared for perfectly. On my first day there I was greeted with the best sashimi I had ever had in my life - and I have been eating sushi and sashimi for 25 years now. Everything was so fresh and relaxing, hang loose, anything goes. Exactly what I needed. Also, I absolutely loved the owners, Roberta and John. They are such genuine people with no agenda but for you to have a great time and for them to enjoy life with you. We took a trip out snorkeling and Roberta was very knowledgeable about all the sea life. John was a great captain. John is so chill and great to be around. Roberta is the lively talkative workaholic and John is the strong silent workaholic - but both in a relaxed, Hawaii style anything goes kind of way. I just felt relaxed and taken care of. The property is so beautiful and well designed. You have your own cottage with an outdoor kitchen and porch with an incredible view. Walking down to the beach and hanging out in the water was my big event for the day. I am a big massage fan, and Roberta arranged three massages for me during the week I was there - very reasonably priced and very good. I waddled down from my cottage to an outdoor massage table overlooking the ocean. It was paradise. My last night there the staff gave a wonderful concert and also a lovely farewell song and necklace. I was sad to go and vowed to get back there someday. I highly recommend this place. I have travelled extensively on both business and leisure for the past 30 years and have been to most continents/countries except africa and south america, have stayed in everything from 5 star hotels to holiday inn express - and I can say this was one of my favorite trips ever. A week was not enough, but I felt like a new person when I left, which was exactly what I needed. Thank you Makaira, and all the staff, for your warmth, great food, and loving attitudes. See you before too long, I hope. Until then, keep making other people well! I am certainly better for having met you all. hugs to you all, Diane

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Our honeymoon to Fiji took us to 3 different Fijian Locations, and we must say that Makaira was how we both imagined Fiji before we arrived. We stayed in two other places on the main island after Makaira and they both felt like we made a trip to Mexico (they just didn't portray the magic of Fiji). Mexico isn't bad, but we didn't fly 14+ hours from Chicago to get what you expect to find in Mexico. We wish we would have spend more nights at Makaira, I guess we need to plan another trip.

Makaira's cottages (bure's) were the perfect size for a couple providing a cozy feeling, but still plenty of space to make yourself at home. I saw some other folks comment about Makaira not being on the beach , but I must say that the view from Makaira's hilltop perch (across the road from the beach) gave an amazing panorama view of the reef and cove that Makaira sits over. Baba and John cooked amazing meals, topping the numerous 5 star resort restaurants we ate at later in our trip. The homemade fruit Crepes in the morning will blow your mind.

As long as you're not a total dud, it would be impossible to not enjoy your stay at Makaira.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed at Makaira 4 night in August with my partner and my parents. Before that we had spent few nights in the Mamanucas islands.

Where to begin? Awesome location in Matei a stroll way from the airport, comfortable large bures, mini swimming pool and hammocks to

chill out, small kitchens if you want to cook your own meals, nice view on the sea, ideal location to dive on the Rainbow reef... but most of all great staff and owners!
Roberta, John and the Makaira staff are extremely knowledgeable, always willing to help, very generous.
We truly enjoyed our time over there, felt welcome like rarely before, and would definitively go back if budget and time allow us!
Long story short: I really recommend that place, you won t be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Where to begin??!! I’m reluctant to write this review as I’d really like to keep this place a secret but it’s only fair to share it!

From the moment we arrived at Makaira I felt entirely at home. Set at the pinnacle of a hill on the gorgeous island of Taveuni, with 180 degree views of the ocean, this place is truly beautiful.

The gorgeous staff welcomed us to the property with songs and then took us to the Marlin Bure. The Bure is just lovely – a wooden construction protected with bug nets, great air flow, decorated with antique furniture, really comfortable bed and even a television and DVD player. The bathroom deserves a special mention – set in stone; it has a great shower with views out over the ocean whilst still managing to maintain privacy. The bure has a lovely balcony (again with views) with a little kitchenette which had everything we needed. The balcony also has a big hammock where you can spend hours reading or just looking at the view!

Roberta and John (the owners) are absolutely fantastic and enthralled us with their many hilarious tales – we sat up many nights chatting and laughing with Roberta – who has a fascinating history and is happy to share her stories and jokes. John was a little shy at first but towards the end of our stay he just blossomed and we wondered how he’d managed to stay so quiet for the first few days!

Taveuni is a very small island with around 9,000 residents and consequently there are not many shops or restaurants. We found it difficult to buy much in the way of food, especially fresh food, but that was partly because of the hurricane that devastated the island earlier this year. Normally the island is a massive fruit and vege garden. Luckily for us Makaira also does delicious meals just for their guests. Baba (guest relations and go-to guy) cooks up a mean breakfast – pretty much anything that you’d like including pancakes, French toast, delicious stuffed crepes, eggs (even poached!), bacon and all using fresh local fruits and veges to make sauces etc. Dinner is made by John himself and with a minimum of 3 courses you definitely won’t leave hungry! John does a different meal every night –homemade soups or chowder to start, fresh fish with local veges, homemade pasta with prawns and my particular favourite – John’s special fried chicken with mash and gravy – makes my mouth water just to think of it!! Using all local fresh produce, John and Roberta create delicious sauces and dressings to compliment every dish. Also because the meals were so big we often had enough left over to have for lunch the next day.

Another meal you can have is Amma’s Curry – Baba’s mother makes a delicious feast of Fijian Indian curry with all the trimmings. I’m sure I’m putting weight on just writing this!!

Of course you can work off all the amazing food (if you can be bothered) – there are coastal and bush walks, island tours, fishing, the local Fijian church and the natural waterslide. But my favourite activity was snorkelling the coral reefs. Although much of the coral reef was destroyed in the recent hurricane, there is still plenty to see and Roberta and her friends have been busy re-planting coral so the reef should continue to flourish (a marine biologist showed them how to do it). Roberta took us on several (completely free!) guided snorkelling tours – she pointed out the different types of coral, tropical fish, different star fish, many types of anemones including some very rare and we even saw a sea snake. The coral itself was beautiful – purple, green, orange, pink in all sorts of configurations and Roberta is a great guide as she knows the reef like the back of her hand.

The other main factor that makes Makaira a wonderful place to stay is the staff – now I know that Fijians are supposed to be really friendly but these guys are just adorable! Baba – who I mentioned already is Fijian Indian and his laughter can be heard from quite a distance and always brings a smile to your face. Baba cooked for us, organised tours and transport, made us laugh with his stories and even played ping pong with us on demand – all part of guest relations!! Aside from Baba the entire property is predominantly looked after by one Fijian family – they do everything (with a smile) from tending to the many flowering and fruit trees to servicing the bures and even removing nasty crown of thorns from the coral. They cater to your every whim if they possibly can – they brought us fresh coconuts straight from the tree for our Barcardi at cocktail hour……and at night they came down to the little café and sang songs in Fijian and English while sharing their kava with us. One of the young boys Serrano, even climbed a coconut tree cause I’d never seen that in real life! I loved them all – Tata, Kristie, Sao, Rebecca, Lucy, Petay, Mateo, Serrano, Cho Chi – thank you all for making our stay so wonderful.

One night the family made a traditional lovo meal for us – which was delicious!

The final thing I should mention about Makaira is the highly entertaining animal family – they just contribute to the great atmosphere and fun – Gigi the cat (from Fiji), Duck Duck (the errr – Duck who hisses like a goose) Aku Baby – gorgeous friendly overgrown puppy, Ahu the Coondog and Rosie the stinky, with the beautiful eyes. We loved having the animals around.

This place would be good for friendly, relaxed people – it’s not full of rules either. You could go either alone or with a partner or friend - another wonderful thing about Makaira is the fact that almost everyone there can be very social – if you want to be – they will only ever approach your bure upon invitation and are never intrusive but fantastic company if you want them around! We spent 10 glorious days at Makaira and it was very, very hard to leave!

I cannot recommend this place highly enough – I have done a lot of travelling all over the world and Makaira is honestly one of the best places I’ve ever stayed, I would go back there again in a second! Hopefully I will.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
greytown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were lucky enough to stay at the beautiful Makaira Resort on Taveuni, the garden isle (and our favorite isle) in Fiji. The owners, Roberta and John, were wonderfully gracious, generous, and knowledgeable of the island. They told the most fantastic stories!

John, being a skilled and seasoned fisherman and world-class chef, provided us nightly with the most delicious gourmet meals--the best meals we had in Fiji during our 5 week trip. Dinner was served in a dining bure overlooking the ocean, on the edge of a cliff with an amazing 180 degree view of the ocean. Their meals consisted of fresh fish caught by John and vegetables from Roberta's organic vegetable garden.

This eco resort is beautifully landscaped with coconut trees, tropical plants and fragrant flowers.The landscape and position of bures offers lots of privacy, and the 180 degree ocean view offers beautiful opportunities to see both the sunrise and sunset.

The bures are tastefully decorated with Polynesia art and handicrafts, have nice hot showers, and a porch with fantastic, unobstructed open views of the landscape and sea. Each bure also has its own cooking facilities--not that you would want to cook for yourself with such delicious meals available (breakfast and dinner).

Makaira is a great location as it offers world class snorkeling right out front. Roberta is an incredibly kind,warm, friendly, knowledgeable host who took us snorkeling and "coral gardening". The resort also has a bus stop and airport nearby, and is in walking distance to stores and a farmers market.

This heavenly place also offers amazing coconut oil massages and papaya/fruit body treatments, as well as hammocks overlooking the sea for relaxation.

Last but not least, Makaira Resort employs very friendly, local staff (who are extended family to John and Roberta), who always greet you with a great big smile.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Makaira Resort? Share your experiences!