“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Avon Manor Inn to your Saves list
Avon Manor Inn
Avon Manor Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   109 Sylvania Ave, Avon by the Sea, NJ 07717   |
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Had a wonderful weekend here in July 2010. Our room was small but furnished well. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room, anyway.

Breakfast was delicious and made to order. We dined on the huge wrap around porch each morning.

The location is perfect. Located in a quiet, well maintained neighborhood. We walked to the beach and to dinner each time. In fact, we arrived on a Friday afternoon and left on Sunday afternoon and did not move the car once!

The B&B is unique in design and has many little 'nooks and crannies' in which to sip wine, read a book, or sit quietly...

Avon-by-the-Sea is a gem of a seaside town... no hustle and bustle here. A nice alternative to the crowds of Spring Lake and other 'shore' B&B destinations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

This homey B&B is set up for relaxing. Rooms are designed to squeeze in a lot of people, if you wish to do so. The beds are comfortable. The amenities are adequate. The rooms and surroundings are quiet, even with a full house. The breakfasts are huge and delicious, with many enticing choices. While we did not use this feature, the inn offers access to a spa/health club. Access to the sea and good restaurants is easy and fast. Sitting on the huge wrap-around porch to enjoy breakfast, nightfall, and wonderful views of the surrounding Victorian houses is a great pleasure. The decor is standard American/Victorian B&B -- roses, lace and teddy bears.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I've stayed here a couple of times over the years in the summer and I can honestly say if there was any other option close by I would be there instead. The Avon Inn comes off as an establishment kept up by someone who doesn't want to be in the B&B industry. The Inn itself is relatively clean which is what I would expect from a Motel, not an Inn in Avon.

Pros:
Avon beach, about a block from the inn, is very clean with plenty of places to grab a snack or sit down for lunch. Your stay includes badges that allow free access to the beach.
There are always towels and beach chairs available and don't require a deposit.
Plenty of street parking except on weekend mornings when beach goers park along the street.
Big porch where a substantial breakfast is served.

Cons:
Dated, cluttered decor from early 90's, makes the inn feel smaller inside then it is.
Rooms are small, bed was hard and pillows are old and flat.
Stay away from wicker furniture on porch, it is very uncomfortable.
Inn has a hands off approach which means that you won't see them during the day. Instead there are signs posted all over the place which are supposed to help you find what you need but instead come off snarky and unwelcoming.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

The management here is a joke. We stayed for a weekend back in June. The location was nice and the people seemed friendly enough. However, having returned from our trip we found that we had been charged for our stay twice. I contacted the manager, who said he would refund the additional charge. He did (2 weeks after I asked for the refund) but also went on to charge me a further 2 times and, to make the process more painful, he seemed to be getting annoyed that I kept calling back and following up. Its 4 months later and I'm still waiting for the refund.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

What a beautiful honeymoon stay we had at the Avon Manor Inn. After the flurry of activity involved with getting married, the time we spent in and around this beautiful inn was just marvelously peaceful.

From the moment we saw our china pattern on a tea set in the dining room cupboard we knew we were in for a wonderful visit. The staff was welcoming and gracious; our room was cozy and comfortable; and that gorgeous stained glass window halfway up the staircase knocked me over every time I saw it. They had big red beach towels, beach chairs and bicycles (including a tandem!) available for our use. The wrap-around porch was perfect for rocking, swinging and tucking into their hearty made-to-order breakfasts. Lots of space in this grand old home, and plenty of pretty antique touches to make it homey and beautiful.

We were about a block from the boardwalk, NOT the noisy honky-tonk kind, but the take-an-evening-stroll kind. The beach was beautiful: big waves, soft sand, plenty of room for swimmers, surfers and fisherpeople. The town was gorgeous, with shady streets lined with three story homes all gabled, turreted and porched to within an inch of their long lives. Gardens? Hydrangeas in colors and abundance beyond any I have ever seen. The community seemed to take pride in it's history and beauty. Public areas were litter-free and well kept. Wonderfully flat roads for biking, too. On Main Street we found romantic candle-lit restaurants for scrumptious dinners (Alberto's for an excellent Spanish meal, and Passionne for Italian).

It was a wonderful visit and we will certainly return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband & I spent a romantic weekend here. It's charming & relaxing. Avon & especially this Inn give you all the charm of nearby Spring Lake for a lot less money. It's a wonderful bargain.

The breakfast is huge & tasty. Dining on the porch in the morning is just lovely. In the afternoon we enjoyed a cocktail & relaxed in the hammock & on the porch swing. In all the years I had traveled to this area I had never been to the Avon pool. Staying at the Inn gave us access & it was a nice alternative to the hot sand.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Scranton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Avon Manor Inn is one of the most enjoyable places I've been to. I travel frequently with my family, we have stayed in some pretty rediculous places, but Avon Manor Inn is one of the top three. Greg's [owner] great personality, very very funny, I love reading his booklet of information every year we go because it is just so funny. Everyone who works there is very nice and helpful. The breakfast is delicious, I'm always sad to leave because I will never have that good of a breakfast until next year! Being a short walk from the beach, and not even a mile from the endless fun and amusement of Belmar, this B&B has a perfect location. The room's are very cozy, I have stayed in about four or five out of the ten rooms in the B&B, all of which I was in, were great! I felt very at home. I would reccomend this spot to every single one of my family and friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Avon Manor Inn? Share your experiences!