I have just returned from a week all-inclusive at this hotel travelling as part of a group of 6 friends (all middle-aged ish!). And a very enjoyable week it was.
The Hotel's strong points are:-
1. Its staff,all of whom without exception are friendly, helpful and courteous. They genuinely want their guests to have a good time and they are attentive without being intrusive. They were all excellent but special mention has to be made of Karim (usually in the Italian Restaurant but also found at times elsewhere), the barman at the quiet, adult-only pool and one particular barman in the lobby bar. The animation team were also good especially Moka and Kya.
2. The grounds. These are beautifully kept and the trees, flowers and gardens generally are lovely. The Hotel is built on a slope but there are golf buggies that will take those less mobile up and down to whatever level is required.
3. The three separate pool areas - a large activity pool, a quieter adult-only pool, and a pool for families. Plenty of comfortable sun beds (but it was the low season). The quiet pool was heated to a very nice temperature. All pools have a waiter serving drinks.
4. A very nice man-made beach terrace with sunbeds overlooking the red sea. There is a pontoon going over the coral to deeper water for swimming and snorkelling but you can walk into the sea from 2 or 3 small beach areas but you are not allowed to go deep enough for swimming because of the coral I think.
5. A good choice of restaurants. The main restaurant and Italian Restaurant are all-inclusive. And the Beach Restaurant was AI at lunchtime. We were a diverse group of 6 people who all liked the food. Our package also included one evening meal in the Beach Restaurant and one evening meal in the Indian Restaurant. These were both fixed menus but they did cater for our one vegetarian with only short notice. This is a large hotel and, as with all other buffet style AI restaurants I have ever been in, the main dining room can be a bit busy and noisy at times.
6. We were upgraded to a beach room, as were other English people we met. This was a nice large room with a terrace overlooking the red sea. The beds were clean and comfortable. There were tea making facilities and the water in the bathroom was hot. We had a small refrigerated minibar and this held bottled water and soft drinks which were included in our package. Beer and wine in the room came at an additional price but not expensive. We also had a complimentary bowl of fruit. If you HAD to pick fault you could say the bathroom was a bit tired. But everything worked.
Its hard to find fault but for me the main one is the fact that there is very little outside of the hotel in walking distance. It seems though that this is common with Hotels in Sharm. There are a few shops within the Hotel boundaries and although at first you might think the staff are pushy they are good natured with a sense of humour and do accept that you may not want to buy their goods. The hotel does operate a free shuttle bus once a day at 11am going to The Old Market and then on to Naama Bay, coming back 2 hours later. Taxis are readily available though at a good price (negotiatble!) to get to Naama Bay and Soho Square at night. The only other thing which was a bit annoying for some of us was that the advertised free wifi (on the terrace) never connected. One of our group paid for 3 days at £24 and got an additional 3 days free, and another paid for 1 day (£8) and got 1 additional day free. That was fine all over the hotel, even down by the beach.
So all in all I would recommend this hotel. The service was some of the best I have had. There is a frequent tipping culture in Egypt and £1 coins or 1 euro coins are ideal for this. We wished we had taken more. There is a machine in the hotel to change sterling into Egyptian Pounds at a good exchange rate but you don't get small enough notes for tipping.
We can highly recommend the half-day boat trip offered by the guys in the hut down by the pontoon. We paid £15 each and were taken to Sharks Bay by minibus and then onto a boat and out to sea. We stopped at 2 places for snorkelling. Without exaggeration it was the best £15 I have spent in a long time! They were very good with the novices!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Admire the wonders of Egypt at SunConnect SUNRISE Diamond Resort! Located in the famous destination Sharm El Sheikh, the resort offers a vast range of opportunities ensuring that no one misses out during their stay. A delightful garden surrounding and the private sandy beach will make your holiday a memorable one full of relaxation. Its proximity to the charming center of Sharm El Sheikh is an additional benefit. The Resort offers a 24-hour front desk, multilingual staff, Guest Service Center desk, bell captain, limousine service, luggage room, laundry & valet service, beauty salon and barber, Spa & gym, gift & souvenir shops, babysitting, Wi-Fi connection free in one specified area,business center, and a 24-hour on call doctor. SunConnect SUNRISE Diamond Resort offers 438 (with partially or with some) recently renovated rooms characterized for their unique oriental style. NEW Aqua Park in 2015, 1200 m2, 8 slides, 71 water games fit for all ages! The hotel is officially part of the SunConnect family. It offers a lot of new facilities. Be Connected with the free upgraded high speed internet which is available throughout the resort. The TeenLounge is ready for teenagers for interactive fun with playstation and x-box. Charge the devices in one of the SunConnect Bars or access points distributed all over the facility. The new SunConnect website provides the guests with all necessary information. All accommodations feature modern facilities and are completely equipped to make sure our guests enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay in Egypt. Choose between a wide variety of rooms. A special benefit for families is our Family Room concept, which offers separate rooms for parents and children. To enjoy the direct sea view, try our Beach Deluxe rooms, which offer you as well extra space. A truly satisfying holiday experience - at SunConnect SUNRISE Diamond Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Sunrise Select Diamond Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrise Select Diamond Beach Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Calimera Royal Diamond Beach Hotel