“THIS IS NOT 5 STAR !” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Grantham, United Kingdom
“THIS IS NOT 5 STAR !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at this resort. Before I go any further, I would like to stress that overall, we had a great family holiday....however, this was only after I came to terms that this was not going to be the 5 Star experience that we had hoped for and accepted it for the average resort that it is. As the Kids are now at an age when they are holidaying with their friends, I wanted this to be an unforgettable experience as it would be our final family vacation . I booked 2 x Executive rooms, 1 for me and my wife and 1 for my two girls. We were located in rooms 5414 and 5417. An excellent location for the pool and restaurant and I would like to thank Mohamed for pre booking us into these rooms..
When entering the room, it was like stepping back 20 years. The rooms are dated and tired, with dark wood wardrobes, cane furniture and walls needing a lick of paint. The main problem was the smell, especially in room 5417. When cane furniture is in a hot environment it smells and it was overpowering in 5417. To overcome this. a dettol smelling air freshener was placed in the air conditioning unit with the air con left on at all times. One of the cupboard doors were hanging by one hinge . 5 star means luxury ,comfort, attention to detail and good service...Cane furniture and drab furnishings do not represent luxury in my book . I am fortunate to travel the world with my job and I have experienced 5 star treatment and the Maritim Jolie does not offer this !!
I went to the reception to express my dissapointment and the only response I received was a repeated statement from the receptionist stating that the resort was three years old and it had the biggest pool in Sharm. He also kept stating that I should be grateful for my upgrade from a Superior Room to an Executive Room, even though I had paid for two Executive rooms...
Other Bad Points .....
1. The buffet food was not good... .however , we were prepared for this and went with low expectations. It is difficult to cater for so many nationalities but even so, it was poor.
2. The Waiters throughout the resort, both in the pool bar and the restaurant, thought their main task was to clear the tables rather than attend to the needs of the diners. We often ordered drinks and had to wait an eternity before they came. Ehab in the pool bar was the exception.
3. Diners being allowed in the Pool Bar and Restaurant without T Shirts. I do not want to see overweight, tatooed, middle aged men and women in all their glory when I am eating.This would not be allowed in a 5 star resort. I now realise that I am the only Englishman without a tattoo !
4. The whole resort looks tired... Tiles missing in the pool, paint coming off the kerbs, the grounds looking unkept with overgrown grass.
5. Although it states there is a lifeguard on patrol, he is noticeable by his absence. There is no one paying full attention to what is going on in the pool and this is an accident waiting to happen. At no time in 10 days did I see anyone patroling the pool.
GOOD POINTS
1. The pool was great. The size is perfect and never seems overcrowded. Plenty of sunbeds to go round.
2. Although the Spa and Tattoo sellers are persistant they take no for an answer and are good fun. Attif was a character and I enjoyed passing the time of day with him.
3. Because of the sub standard Buffet we found ourselves using room service on a few occasions. Both the food and the service was excellent.
4. Take advantage of the on site Italian ... Again great food !
5. The guy who cleaned the rooms did a superb job. Clean towels and sheets on a regular basis.
6. Although the rooms are not 5 star, the size is perfect.
7. The accomadion layout of bungalows within open grounds is far better than the pile them high hotels.
8. The hotel taxis are reliable and rates reasonable.
9. The beach is fantastic with great snorkling and an ideal location.
To me, having worked hard all year round, all I ask for is to feel looked after during the only two weeks that I am not looking after everyone else. At no point did I feel this at Martim Jolie.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RoyalPeninsula_Hotel, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for submitting a TripAdvisor review, pleased to know that you had a great family holiday at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula although the negative points you have been mentioned

We are working on improving some of what you have been mentioned especially refreshing the rooms but it will not affect putting all your post into consideration and make the necessary improvements

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully that we can get another chance to welcome you once again at our hotel

Khaled Ahmed, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Large pool never full made daily swim a pleasure , lots of activities to keep you occupied and space if not.Italian restaurant good alternative included for special occasion . Rooms enormous.... Everybody friendly and free shuttle bus to naama bay was a bonus.... Would recommend for a chill and relaxing break.

• Stayed April 2013
RoyalPeninsula_Hotel, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor, pleased to know that you are satisfied with our quality of service at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula

Thank you for recommending our hotel and looking forward to another chance to welcome you once again at our hotel

Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel Is truly beautiful! We stayed In a large executive room with a pool view & It was gorgeous, I have never stayed In such a large room. It was spotlessly clean & the aircon was great. A couple of times the rooms were late being serviced & on one occasion when we returned to our room at 5pm It was still how we had left It but the housekeeper was next door so we just asked for clean towels, water & tea so it was not a problem.
The food In the main restaurant was gorgeous, we ate there everyday for 10 days & loved It. There was always plenty of choice & the bread & pastries for breakfast are to 'die for' :) The lunch time was a smaller choice but was still adequate & I never left the restaurant feeling I hadn't been fed. The evening meals were outstanding from the starters to the sweets everything was perfect! The only downfall was the dresscode. it actually stated that In the evening no shorts or sleeveless tops to be worn at dinner, It was smart wear, but they still allowed people In with their
football shorts & vest tops on which was a shame as quite a few people really made the effort & dressed to the standards that the hotel wanted & then the 'restaurant manager' allowed people In looking they were on their way to the beach! If you are going to have rules on the board outside the restaurant then I think they should be adhered to. Most hotels I have stopped In have always had dresscodes & I have seen people turned away politely & asked to change to smart wear.
The pool Is HUGE! & It is checked & cleaned everyday by the pool staff who do an amazing job & are always walking round making sure everything Is clean & tidy. Would I return to this hotel??? Yes definitely!! as a matter of fact we are hoping to book again for next year :)
One tip....when your holiday is finished try & buy some snacks/sandwiches for the airport...the prices there are a rip off! Including a small water costing £3.20!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for submitting a TripAdvisor review, pleased to know that you had enjoyed your stay at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula and will come back again next year

Concerning your comment about the drescode, your comment will remain into consideration to improve our efforts to apply the drescode rules in the restaurant

Your satisfaction with our service makes us more concern to be always at our valuable guests expectations

Waiting for your next visit

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were going to this hotel as an alternative to our usual jollie ville at Luxor but due to the unrest our holiday to Luxor was cancelled so we choose this hotel last minute . It's a beautiful hotel with a fab private beach . The food was amazing and the rooms were too . The staff are always smiling and try to make your stay perfect . A big thanks to Mr Hassan head of recreation who looked after us during our stay . If your looking for a five star hotel with five star rooms and five star food this hotel should suit you . My only negative was the staff at reception need to be more friendly but I did report this but all the other staff were amazing and helpful and always smiling.

Room Tip: We had an executive room 4110 and we loved it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for submitting a TripAdvisor review and for choosing our hotel to spend your holiday at and pleased to know that you had enjoyed your stay at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula

Your comment about the reception staff will be addressed to the Department head to take the necessary action

Your praises to the staff especially Mr. Hassan will be shared with them and they will be grateful for that

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Food was ok, staff were superb especially Mohamed on the pasta station and Mena on the pool bar.
Place was very clean especially the room. Pool was superb lots of space!!
The problem I have with the hotel is this - 5* AI to me is all day long food and drink, this was not the case here. Food was only served at certain times, drink stopped at midnight, you couldn't purchase anything any where!
We went as a couple with no kids so didn't really want the entertainment served up nightly, but I didn't see why we had to pay to go into the British bar on site or the hotel reception bar?
WI-FI was very intermittent and only good if you went up to the lobby. Some aspects of the hotel need freshening up or it will defo fall to a 4*
Having said that we had a nice chilled holiday, observations are not to have a go at the management just to give them a little advice not all Brits want the same thing!!!

• Stayed July 2013
RoyalPeninsula_Hotel, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review, pleased to know that you had a nice holiday at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula although the negative points you had mentioned

Your comment about the all-inclusive policy and the refreshing will be discussed internally to see where improvements can be done

Your praises for the staff especially Mohamed on the pasta station will be shared with them and they will be grateful for that

Bolton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hi all, I stayed at this hotel with my wife and three young children (ages 6, 5 and 2). We had an excellent holiday in Sharm and an excellent stay at this resort.

The strengths of this hotel are the outstanding swimming pool which we never got tired of. Its huge and during the extremely hot summer temperature - we found the water temperature of the swimming pool to be perfect!

The main buffet restaurant serves a very good selection of food - but I think after 7 days, you could get tired of the items on the menu as they have "themed menu" every night which rotates every 7 days. But overall, we enjoyed the variety of the food. At busy times, we did find that the bringing drinks to our table was a bit slow - but considering that these guys work extremely long hours - this is more than understandable. The team work very hard.

The Reception area is beautifully laid out and gives an awesome first impression. The landscape around the hotel is beautiful also with well kept greenery with excellent pathways throughout. I like how the rooms are scattered all over the resort as this give a very private and personal feel.

The rooms are huge and are well equipped. We found the beds to be extremely comfortable and the air conditioning unit of a good powerful standard. The storage area was also great. I must stress however, that although the rooms were well equipped we found the rooms to be below a 5 star standard. The show door was broken from the Rails which made it difficult to open and close. The floor in the shower cubicle was at a slant which meant the water didn't flow to the gutter and always left a huge puddle. The silicon finishing around the bath and shower area left a lot to be desired as the finish was a DIY job at best. Please don't be mistaken, the rooms and the facilities were MORE than adequate but for a 5 star - this must be addresses. In my opinion, some of the rooms may need a refurb/revamp to a 5 star standard as the furniture showed signs of wear and tear also.

The staff overall are very hard working and the shisha area was brilliant. The night time entertainment was OK at best but I often went to shish bar as the wife and kids watched the "karaoke style" entertainment on stage.

The biggest drawback of this hotel is the horrendous WiFi. ALthogh you can "plug in" to the the internet in your room (wire not provided!), this hotel needs to sort the internet service out. The only place I could get a signal was in the reception, and even then it was hit and miss. This was a major frustration and a big let down. I have read reviews and complaints about this issue on numerous previous reviews and the standard response from the hotel seems to be "we will look into the negative points". Well, my message to the Royal Penisula Admistration is to stop giving a standard response and get this sorted. If you have network points for the internet in every room, it doesn't cost very mush to get a wifi router plugged into this in every room. There is no excuse for not having internet in a 5 star hotel - sorry!

In a nutshell, the pro's are : pool, staff, setting, room size, shisha, good food, good service excellent experience overall.

Improvement : Decor and maintenance - maybe needing an overhaul in some rooms. THE INTERNET!

Due to the drawbacks of this hotel - i would say they JUST miss out on being classed a s a True 5 star.

But overall, outstanding value for money and a superb holiday. Well done Royal Peninsula!

If you found this review helpful, please vote.

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review, pleased to know that you had a super holiday with your family at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula

As for your comment about the internet in the room kindly be advised that we provide wires to plug in but upon request available 24 hours through the reception, this will not makes us deny that we are facing problems in the WIFI and we are doing our best to overcome it

Your comment about the rooms we already discussed this issue and we have plans to improve it

Preston, Lancs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

PART 1
From the beginning:

1. Having had my cruise down the Nile cancelled twice by Flights & Packages I will NEVER, EVER use this operator again. Rather than contact me to ask if I wanted to spend 2 weeks in Hurghada they summarily cancelled my flight. In the end after an argument with them I ended up bokking 2 weeks in Sharm through the Co-Operative.
2. Easyjet. For me it is beyond comprehension that they have been granted a licence to provide 5 and ½ hour flights without having the common courtesy of providing food and drinks as part of the package. Allow me to remind you all, WE, the paying customers have now assumed all admin./pre-booking responsibilities. This has gifted Easyjet a substantial cost saving and quite frankly I’m sick and tired of us customers being ripped off. Furthermore the planes from Manchester to Sharm are on the small side with this situation being further compounded by the truly abysmal lack of onboard entertainment. It’s none existent and on a 5 hour+ flight this is unacceptable.
3. Hotel Maritim Jolie Peninsula. My general impression was summed up in one word, expansive. This is a large, spread out mainly single story complex with well manicured gardens. This is not the type of place for a wild, singles type experience. It is one for the family or young/old couples.
4. The rooms (ours was 4304) are huge. As was our bathroom. We had two double beds for 3 of us. Multi-channel flat screen provided entertainment and we had a large lounge area within the room. The biggest room I’ve ever stayed in.
5. The beds are superb being neither too soft nor too hard. They provide ideal back support and I simply crashed out every night almost on my head hitting the pillow.
6. The restaurants. The main one saw Ismail welcoming us every time on arrival. He and his team were outstanding. Breakfast was good. Evening dinner regularly was superb. The only let down was that on several occasions lunch time was lacking in variety. In fact it fell below the normal high standards of this hotel.
7. Swimming pool. Huge and clean! The 2nd biggest in Sharm which was one of the reasons I selected this hotel. No crowding in this pool as it’s simply too big and basically encompasses the island of the outside bar/restaurant. We would swim across to the open air Jacuzzi and lounge around.
8. The Hotel beach is just a 10 minute journey on the courtesy bus. Do it because even if you can’t swim you can see a multitude of colourful fish from the pier. It’s simply a magnificent sight. Also it’s best to get your deck chairs on the pier because you can get a glorious tan while you are being cooled by a continual breeze sweeping in from the Red Sea.
9. The staff. All outstanding. Pleasant, charming and not too pushy. I left good tips because these chaps are currently struggling to survive and they work very long hours.
10. Open air Shisha bar was where we spent many evenings. After a while the constant drip of Arab type MTV pop music, usually featuring a super wealthy model type couple having an argument before driving off in an expensive car, assumed a form of slow torture. In the end it became mindless drivel. This could easily be improved by introducing “Film of the Week” for just one night each week and would feature showing a classic e.g. “2001 A Sapce Odyssey,” “Lawrence of Arabia,” “Bladerunner,” “City of God,” “Once Upon A Time In The West” etc, etc. Believe me there is something truly unique about seeing such films out in the open with a clear, starlit night sky above you. It becomes an experience you never forget and you can’t even begin to compare it with watching such films in our own home.

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for submitting a TripAdvisor review, so pleased to know that you had enjoyed your stay at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula

Your suggestion about the Shisha café’s entertainment is deserve studying thank you for that

Your praises for the staff especially Ismail in the main restaurant will be shared with them and they will be so happy with it

Khaled Ahmed, General Manager

Been to Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!