“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Limerick
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We had a wonderful holiday - very warm but cooler in the evening and the rooms were vey spacious, with air conditionning, satelite tv and easy access to the beach, pools, gym, bars etc. The beach is great, but you really need to use the pier to get to a depth of water you can swim in. Not a lot of coral locally but it's still a great place to snorkel and you can see a wide variety of fish and other sea life. The dive club beside the hotel is great - we went on a snorkelling trip and a few dives with them - if you like that kind if thing skip the snorkeling and get into the diving asap. We wasted valuable time and we were sorry we didn't do a full dive course in the first week.

People- couldn't say enough about the Egyptian people and the ex-pats in Sharm. Like most visitors we loved Mohammed at the pool bar, but all the staff were brilliant. I made a half attempt to help them push a trolley over a bridge at the pool and got a free massage for my "efforts". These guys really work hard - you see them late at nitght in the restaurants and bars and they're back working early in the morning. I went diving a couple of times and all the folks at the dive centre were great, particularly Simon.

Food- OK (you'll find something to eat every day/night but it's not a gourmet holiday)

Entertainment - again OK, but like the food, not the reason for coming here - thursday nights were Egyptian and some of the performers were amazing; guys spinning around for 40 minutes -remember doing this as a child and getting really dizzy/nauseous after a few seconds. I don't know how they do it.

Travel - I'd love to go to Sharm again, but the flight with Falcon/First Choice was so uncomfortable it left the most enduring memory of the holiday. Never again! Flying with Ryanair is like going first class in comparison.

We had a great holiday, but unless there's a more comfortable way of getting there (maybe by camel) we'll go elsewhere.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,436)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

Returned from the HV on Fri 22nd and wish we were back there! I was an avid reader of this website and others like it before we went and was quite aprehensive. However I was more than pleasantly surprised. We had a fab time. Yes flight from Bristol is cramped, ask for more leg room if you can, we couldn't cos of the children. Arrival at Sharm airport was painless, got visa's no problem £8 each. There was a bit of a wait for luggage but at least it was all there! There was a chap looking for money to put the cases on the coach when the rep wasn't looking but I said I didn't have any and the cases got put on anyway!
It is a short transfer to hotel. Check in was nice and quick despite the queue of people. We made the mistake of wandering off on our own to find our room but the place is massive! We stopped someone and he gladly showed us the way. Cases followed shortly. We were in a select room in block 2. Massive room, massive bed, massive toilet/shower room. Lovely first impressions. The room over looked the childrens and activity pools and was about 5 mins walk to restaurant. we thought it was a wonderful location. We loved our bed though they are quite firm and I can imagine not to everyone's taste but we wanted to bring it home. There was a fold out bed and a chair bed for the kids. Also provided was a tv and dvd player, tea and coffee making facilities, robes and slippers for the adults. Loved our room. I t was always cleaned very well and if you had any problems at all, after contacting reception someone was always at your door within minutes. All the Egyptian staff work so hard and such long hours. Nothing is too much trouble. I saw people sweeping paths at 6 in the morning and the same staff were still working in the evenings. There isa scramble for sunbeds around the main pool in the mornings. Saw people out and about in semi-darkness at 5 in morn some days. However I got up and ready by 8 when the towel hut opened (because I was awake anyway) and never had a problem getting beds by the activity pool. Towels were taken away by 1015 if not in use, but you had to be careful you were not in the pool at the time!!
Food:- We only ate in the buffet restaurant so can't comment on the others. We always found something to enjoy and I am a very fussy eater. The soups are always lovely as are the breads and pastry. Fruit danish in the morning was always on my plate! Kids loved the pasta. I loved the salad bar. Always some interesting combinations in there! My huuby loved it all except the beef curry he had one night which was quite fatty (glad I'm a veggie!). All the chefs work hard topping up all the different choices. We never had a problem with cold or undercooked food. Was amazed that with the size of the hotel meal times weren't more of a scramble. Yes had to queue up for short times and sometimes wait for a table when you first arrived, but staff are very quick to accomodate. It's a shame some people are so rude and impatient. You're on holiday! It's not a rush!!!
Activities:- Kids went to the clubs a couple of times and they enjoyed their sessions but were happy in the pools and sea. The staff work hard getting people to join in with the daytime activities but you were under no pressure (until they got to know you!). The evening lot are bonkers! We enjoyed it all, my son (7) could never eat his tea fast enough so he could get to kids village time and do all the dances! How the entertainment team danced, changed costume, kept everyone entertained and still kept smiling in the heat I will never know! They all deserve medals! It's a bit Butlins I suppose with bingo and quiz shows but we watched and sometimes joined in every night! The kids were happy therefore so were we. It is a bit hot and sweaty in the ampitheatre but I'm sure in the cooler months it's lovely as it's a beautiful location. Just wish the drinks were served in bigger cups as by the time I got back to my seat I'd always fininshed mine! By the way, the alcohol is foul! Lager ok in a shandy, vodka smelled like paint stripper and tasted worse! However couldn't have dreamed of waking up with a hangover in that heat so was quite content with sprite!
Beach:- We love snorkelling and were not disappointed! The jetty could do with being longer to take you out to the main reef but for swimming is lovely. Warm and shallow. If you love snorkelling too then make the effort to go out to the 'drop off'. It is breathtaking and like being in Nemo's fish tank. Wet shoes are a must though and beware of sea urchins and sea snakes! The urchins are easy to spot but the snakes are the same colour as the sand! I had a few near misses. Not sure how dangerous they are but wasn't taking any chances!! Could've spent all holiday in the sea! Beach is no good for sandcastles though! Like coarse builders yard stuff!
Illness:- We all got ill at various points. My daughter got sick after 1st day in the sun. It was definately heat stroke. No matter how much I told her to have some shade she was having too much fun. I wasn't surprised when she had a headache at the end of the day and started with vomiting and diahorrea later that night! Went to the pharmacy 1st thing in the morning and by the evening she was better. Just in time for my son to start! Another trip to the pharmacy, different tablets and re hydration sachets this time. After 1 of the (vile) shakes he was a different child demanding to be allowed back to the pool. My hubby and I both had crampy tums and dodgy movements (!) a few days later but Antinal sorted it out well within 24 hours and did not interfer with our hol at all. The day I started we were off to Cairo and i went without a moments hesitation. It is so so hot it's breathtaking and I think we fail to realise just how much fluid our bodies need. I did hear of a few people on drips but I just think that you need so much water it's unbelievable and even if your body is evactuating it straight away you've just got to put it straight back in! I do not for one minute think that hygiene is a problem in this hotel. Everyone is entitiled to their opinion of course.
Think I've rattled on enough now. Just to add we did Cairo which I booked myself before we went on hol (saved £300 on First choice prices). It's a real eye opener and recommend to anyone. We also did the Beouin experience. This was also very good though I wouldn't recommend climbing the hill to watch the sun set. Very slippy sharp rocks!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone with kids up to the age of about 14 and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. The weather is hot (in the fifties a lot of the days we were there! Factor 50 a must!) the sea is lovely the views fantastic. Would go back tomorrow!

• Liked — Size of rooms, friendly staff, Fantastic snorkelling, kids entertainment
  • Disliked — nothing really
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

We have had many holidays abroad, but we have never experienced such helpful, polite & efficient service as we experienced on this holiday. Also the kitchen staff are to be commended on the variety, quality & presentation of the food in their buffet restaraunt.
With regard to entertainment, this was excellent, especially for kids ; they had thought of everything, even to keeping children happy whilst wating for our transpot home.
For any family with children, we would advise that their first choice should be "First Choice".

• Liked — Cleanliness & efficient air conditioning
  • Disliked — nothing
shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Just returned from HV had a great time. There is so much to do to keep the kids occupied or you can just chill out if that what suits. All the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, especially towards my son, but seeing as this is advertised as a family resort you wouldn't expect anything less. There was a wide selection of food and even a selection of English dishes for the philistines that go to different countries but create that it's not English food. Our room was clean and comfortable and it was nice to have fridge to keep water cool in as you need to make sure you drink lots of it, otherwise this is where the upset tummy's come from when your out in 40 degees all day, but a visit to the pharmacy will soon cure this. We ate in the indian and chinese restaurant which where both enjoyable but you do have to remember that your in Egypt not down the High Street. We couldn't get our little boy out of the pools he loved them all which makes life easier for you when their happy. It was nice to have reps available all the time but they didn't harrass you. We also flew to Cairo which was an amazing trip. The guide was very knowledgeable and you felt safe at all times.
We had to leave at 4.30am and where provided with a breakfast and we didn't get back until late and where provided with supper in our room. My little boy has never eat so much ice cream which was available throughout the day and was lovely. I would definitely recommend the holiday village to people with children the all round pakage for the family is great and you couldn't wish for more friendly attentive staff. Although it costs seafood restaurant is a must my little boy ate all his own massive prawns and his dads as well. It might of had a few teething problems but a great destination now.

• Liked — Differnent pools for different days
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
st albans hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We arrived back from the holiday village red sea two days ago I would not recommend this hotel to anyone thinking for going as we stayed for 14 days and was ill for 12 and upon returning are still ill the food was awful never got any hot food it was always warm the entertainment was very repetitive and the team just sang nearly every night. The kids club was excellent but most people were ill with bugs for most of our stay.

We will not be returning to egypt, this was our first visit.

Very disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

we have just returned fron the hol village in sharm egypt i must admit i woz abit wary about going after some of the bad reports i had heard an read about but decided too go with an open mind. im so glad i did coz we all ad a great time ( me,hubbi,2 kids 15 an 11) temp very hot first wk in 50s, hotel was great plenty to do 4 kids sum at an extra cost, food great which is a first 4 me 2 say that, rooms very spacious an very clean, staff very friendly exspecially abraham at the towel bar round quiet pool great guy. hubbie got abit of a upset tummy 4 about 24hrs but nowt a couple of tablets dint cure, a couple of people we spoke 2 were unwel but we put it down too the heat an them being dehydrated coz it def wasnt anything to do with the hotel. great place would def go back again.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Returned 21 Aug 2008
Hotel sign reads "beyond your expectations", this really should read "beyond your LOW expectations".
I will start with a few positives, these being the kids clubs and in particular the swim club, otherwise this hotel is sensationally poor in every essence.
We have been on numerous all inclusive holiday's all over the world, which prior to this one have all been amazing. This experience is a good benchmark of what one may would normally expect in the way of quality and expectations.

This hotel fails in every aspect and is sensationally awful to say the least.

1) Food - Absolutely rank unless of course you like uncooked limp chips with everything. " its also absolute bedlem". Ala Carte's were ok but nothing special. The pancake with the crispy duck was a shrove Tuesday type pancake, so a bit more work required there.
2) Hotel build quality - The finish is dreadful, paint drips on everything, missing pieces of architraves, etc etc. This hotel looks and feels 10 years old not 1.
3)Layout - Your forever trecking up and down from the room to the pool, to the buffett to the kids club. We have 3 young kids and this layout is a killer for their little legs.
4) Entertainment - Need I say more when they start going Oggy Oggy Ogggy, Oy Oy Oy. The amplitheatre whilst probably seems a good idea at the time in practicallity terms, it simply doesn't work. Their' s no Adult entertainment to speak off, the View Bar (Adult only) starts at 11.15 and being mindful you have to collect the kids at 10.30, so not much point there then.
5) Fellow Guests - Whilst not the Hotel's fault, it was circa 80% Chav central who are quite happy loudly swearing all over the place in front of children. We even witnessed fights "which was nice".
6) Pool - Absolutely filthy, Pair of swimming googles quickly reveals the shear amount of debris and muck floating around, which I'd dread to think was, though have a good idea. " No wonder everyone we was ill"

In summary, avoid this place like the plague this holiday was a bitterly dissappointing experience Never to be repeated. "learn by other people's mistake"

I'm sure that people will write additional comments stating ignore this, the hotel is brilliant, we had a great time "bla bla bla", With this in mind it's probably worth noting that 1) they probably have no different experience to compare it against 2) There the Chavy type of person alluded to in the first instance.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Coral Sea Holiday Village? Share your experiences!