“Watchdog Was Wrong !!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Coral Sea Holiday Village
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 317, Egypt   |
Ranked #27 of 226 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Watchdog Was Wrong !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Not going to lie after watching Watchdog few weeks before me and my partner were due to take our first visit to Egypt, we were very vary about visiting the Holiday Village Red Sea, But when we arrived the BBC couldn't be any further from the truth, the holiday and views were stunning from the start, our room was very spacious and we had our own balcony and the room was fabulous and the air con was just what was needed after days out in the sun. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful and the housekeeping was second to none with lovely towel designs on a few occasions. All though the food wasn't world class it was very good with loads on offer to all people and not the same every night, you were never having to wait for drinks as helpful staff were always asking if we wanted a drink weather it was at the pool the bars or even down the beach and with it being all inclusive it was rude not to say no
The beach was a 2 minute walk from our room with golden sands and wonderful views out to sea and walking even in the shallow parts variety of fishes can be seen even up to ankle height.
The only down side to the hotel were 2 things the lack of entertainment in the evenings and the the poor state of the sports bar very dark and in very much need of a lick of paint.
Overall the Holiday was fantastic and anybody wanting to visit should definitely try this hotel out as we would certainly return but maybe booking a swim up room

Room Tip: The Main pool its self gets very busy during the day and i would recommended a swim up room to anyon...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,597)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I just got back from 2 weeks at the Holiday Village and I wanted to give an honest review while everything was fresh in my mind.
We booked the resort very late as we just wanted to get away and get some chill time and sun, we had visited Egypt 7 years ago and really enjoyed ourselves. The Holiday Village was the only resort left with the flights we wanted so I checked out Trip Advisor and then booked it with a swim up room.

Ok I did watch the Watchdog report after the booking had been made and have to say first off that I found nothing that the report said about. The food was always piping hot and cooked well, the “scum” around the pools is actually were the vinyl pool liner has been sun bleached it is not dirt.

The Holiday Village itself was not great hotel but a good hotel, but that is from a couple’s point of view. The hotel is very clean and the swim up room we had was very large as was the swim up pool, however the problem was that the hotel with its beautiful gardens and fountains is like a mini England in the middle of Sharm (which I will get to in a bit).

As others have said there is very little for Adults to do in the evening, there is an adult bar however there is only a quiz each night except for the odd occasion when they may have a live act later on in the evening.

The biggest problem with the resort is the minority of family’s who seem to no have little or no control over there children who seem to have no respect for others. I understand that they are on holiday (somehow during term time) but they seem to run riot doing what they want. This includes the swim up pools which are not adult exclusive so are turned into kiddy pools with water pistols, inflatable’s and children running a mock. This also carries over into the main restaurant where again children run around with plates full of food, pick food up off the trays and put them back (could that be part of the reason there are bugs about). This is also the only hotel I have ever been to where you have signs around the pools saying “Don’t swim when you have diarrhoea & change diapers in the bathroom not at the poolside”.
Does that say more about the hotel or some of the people staying there?

If you have a family and want a “safe” holiday with the standard English food each night then I can understand why people would go back, but this is not a place for couples.

Now Sharma itself has also changed in 7 years it is no longer a quiet resort with a couple of hotels, it has become Egypt’s version of Playa Das Americas with hotels along the beach as far as the eye can see both left and right on the beach side of the road. The other side of the road has all your major household names McDonalds, KFC, TGI Fridays, Starbucks etc. etc. The other slight issue is the fact the lovely beach has gone, it is now like builders sand.

In summing up the hotel as I said is OK for families but not couples, however the entire resort area has changed so much it has lost what was so special to make us return this time, such a shame.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are lovely and spacious but the pools are not exclusive to adults only
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

That is until I went to this resort.(8- I8 Oct 2012) and I have made a complete "u-turn". I am a convert. I went with my son, his partner and their two children, (aged 5+ and 2+), I am 71. The whole complex was stunning, well maintained. All public ares were cleaned to a very high standard.The pool areas were a delight, kiosks on hand for drinks and staff to bring the drinks. The same applied to the beach.The food was great throughout and the choices, hot or cold, kept our party well fed with the variety on offer. The main restraunt was clean and quite well laid out, although very busy I did not experience any long queues, all choices were topped up regularly.The accomodation was large, air conditioned and cleaned on a daily basis, Bedding and bathroom linen changed dailyThe staff were always polite, welcoming and on hand to help.
The facilities for the children were fantastic, as were the staff involved in the running of the clubs. Would I go again. OH YES.

Room Tip: We had a high floor and were well satisfied.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
s,wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

just returned from ten days in the holiday village, after a bad start where we shown to our room which was already inhabited by a swarm of giant ants, staff did all they could and found us a replacement room very helpful. all the staff very friendly but you get this feeling they are always looking for something. Food above average in the main buffet, excellant in the "a le carte and stone grill well worth a visit. actual hotel very clean and well looked after but does lack that female touch.gardens pools and sea location excellant. But be warned walk outside and you will be appraoched from every corner.a night out at soho square a must .we luckily had a child with us not so good for couples without kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the holiday village for 10 nights on the 13th - 23rd September and we had an amazing holiday!! We originally booked a standard room but when we got there we upgraded to a jacuzzi suite and it was sooo worth the extra money, it was right on the beach, we had our own private jacuzzi on the balcony and the room was huuuuge!

Food- I heard people moaning about the food, I really don't know what they were expecting honestly! There was every single type of food you could imagine and I think it's down to people be so god dam greedy and eat everything on one plate so they think there isn't much variety when actually they've had pizza,pasta,chips,meat,burgers all in one sitting so the night after think its the same meal! There really is sooo much choice and its all gorgeous food. We ate at all 3 al a cartes and also the stone grill. The stone grill you have to pay extra for but we had starters and main and 2 alcoholic drinks each and it only came to £30 for the both of us, it's very reasonable and lovely food! The other 3 a la cartes are also lovely!

Hotel- very big and loads to do, we usually went to the adult bar at night and had a few drinks and fun at the quiz with Jeff! The hotel is extremely clean and all the staff work so hard at all hours throughout the day

Entertainment - in the day we were quite happy just sitting round the pool and chilling and occasionally joining in on the quiz and my boyfriend enjoyed playing football. The only complaint I have is that the 'quiet pool' isn't so quiet!!

Whilst there we went out the hotel five of six times and had no problems, we did get hassled a little bit but if you just say no they are fine and leave you alone. We went to TGIs for dinner one night which was lovely and very reasonable, however they don't serve alcohol :-(!

We also went out to Soho square which was a good night out, the shop owners aren't allowed to hassle you there so it's nice to be able to walk around and not get people asking you Into their shops! There's some nice restaurants and bars there, we didn't go to any but they looked busy so I assume they are nice!

The fakes there are amazing so I would recommend taking lots of money! I brought 3 mulberry bags, 3 pairs of converse and a ghd set for £120! You can honestly not tell any difference from the genuine products, i compared the converse to the pair I travelled in from the uk and there is literally not a stitch difference!!

We heard reports of people being ill, but this happens wherever you stay in Egypt, we had it last time we went to Egypt but this time we were fine had no problems at all with dodgy tummies

To wrap it up, I would 100% recommend this hotel it's so nice and the staff are all lovely, including the first choice staff who are brill! Can't wait to go back! The weather is always gorgeous and never a cloud In the sky!

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is our third trip to this fantastic hotel and once again we have had a brilliant time. The hotel itself is brilliant. When we checked in they welcomed us back and as it was our third visit we had our room upgraded! Our cleaner was lovely and did a great job every day and we also had a couple of swans and an elephant made out of towels and pillows which our 10 year old daughter loved. The pools are really well maintained. Waed at the quiet pool is a lovely man who spent a lot of time playing with the children and talking to the adults and making sure the pool area was cleaned every day. Him and his co-worker always made sure you were given sun beds of your choice and carried your towels over for you daily. The food as usual was great with more than enough choice and the indian and chinese restaurants were our favourite. Osama at the indian remembered us from our last visit 2 years ago!! The new Stonegrill restaurant-which isn't part of the all inclusive-was fantastic and well worth the money which wasn't very much. We will definitely be returning to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good with lots of space even when sharing with children.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We've just returned from a week at The Holiday Village in Sharm and had a fabulous time.

Despite the Watchdog witch-hunt - the food was superb. For sure, it's not "fine dining" - but it was generally tasty and had a good variety each day - always hot and refreshed regularly. If you didn't fancy one of the 3 specials of the day, or freshly cooked meal of the day - there was always the Pizza and Pasta guys who made very good stuff. Also scope to make your own sandwiches or toasties. Plus fresh salad and lovely fresh bread.

Breakfast in the Adult only section is a must if you fancy some peace and quiet. Freshly poached or fried eggs, omelette, scrambled eggs (pre-made), potato cakes - although the "beef bacon" is an acquired taste!!

The rooms are lovely - although the Egyptians don't do detail, so the finish sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. But the A/C works a treat and we were able to leave it on so the room was chilled when we came back from a hard day by the pool. It was my girlfriends 2nd time here and we were originally put in block 14 and although the room was ok it overlooked the Laguna Vista's laundry, we were then moved to block 10 and these rooms were lovely much bigger, walk-in wardrobe and a lovely balcony overlooking the "quiet pool".

On the subject of the "quiet pool" it was not quiet, despite signs asking people to respect thers ad keep noise to a minimum, I have no objections to hearing children having fun but high pitched screaming, followed by the parents screaching at them when you are trying to have an afternoon snooze was not ideal and could be avoided if the staff had a subtle word with the minority who did this. Alternatively an adult only pool would be great but there is an adult only section on the beach.

We went to the adult only View Bar most evenings where the staff were lovely and Smithy the events manager kept us all chuckling away, very relaxed audience participation required but never forced anyone to take part if the didn't fancy it.

We went on a snokelling trip with Aqua Nabq and can thoroughly recommend them a day trip to Tiran Island with food, drink and decent masks etc for £20. There are on the beach in front of the Oriental Hotel, two hotels along to the left, only 5 minute stroll, tell Adam we sent you.

You do get approached, rather than hassled, to have a massage - which we did. If I am honest - the pricier Cleopatra massage was a bit of a let down. We were expecting a full on vigorous foot and skin rub - but it was a bit half hearted. However - the actual massage was better. We had a further massage on our last day and requested a Thai and a Sports massage. My masseur quickly picked up that I have an iffy lower back and really helped sort me out. My girlfriend had the deep Thai massage and was suitably punished!! In a a good way. I'd recommend just the massages than the "treatment" - but that's just me. Also - make sure that you are entitled to have access to the sauna and steam rooms FOC at any time for the duration of your stay - not sure if this is only once you've had a session with them, or part of the holiday package. Just ask!

Jade, the Guest Relations rep, was very helpful. Even managed to arrange for me to have some flowers delivered to our room at 7:15am despite me only asking at 8:00pm the day before.

So - to the Elephant in the Room....... dodgy tummies .... Well, we had practically nothing. It has to be realised that they serve the thick end of 1,500 people, 3 times per day, Some (a minority) who have dubious ideas of hygiene (and basic manners generally!!). If you're sensible and drink plenty of water, wash your hands and follow the general hygiene practices that the hotel CLEARLY have signs about - you should be OK - can't be guaranteed, as bugs fly about there as anywhere where there are lots of people and many young children. There did seem to be a very small minority of people who'd gone there with an axe to grind and try to get their holiday for nothing following the Watchdog programme

One tip - if they (or anyone in general) agree to upgrade you or move your room (or give you a deal on something), just get them to jot the details down on a piece of paper. As with many of these countries there is a culture of saying anything so you'll go away (or they get the sale) - and it's someone else's problem later on. However - a word with the Management usually gets things sorted - but we don't go on holiday for a ruck do we!.

The only major improvement they could have made for us would be an "adult only" pool to go with the breakfast and evening bar. Despite avoiding school holidays, I'd say 80% of the people were families. (If that doesn't make me sound like a grumpy old git!!). To be fair - most of them were fine, well behaved and sometimes charming. But the ones who have no concept of how much noise they are making and generally monopolising parts of the quiet pool when there is a HUGE pool designed for kids with slides and other entertainment, ruin it for other who aren't after the same thing.

To sum up - I wanted to give it 4.5 - but not an option, Will definitely return. Don't listen to the hype!! If you are looking for a nice winter break in the sun in a nice hotel with fantastic people and lovely food pick this hotel.

Room Tip: Block 10 is the best block, close to restaurant, main bar, reception and quiet pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Sea Holiday Village? Share your experiences!