“Females 15 upwards Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Viva Sharm Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Motels St., Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #138 of 226 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“Females 15 upwards Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have travelled to Egypt 2-3 times a year for the past 8 years so I think my review should be valid. I have stayed at many hotels but this is the one that tops all trips. I wont go into the condition of the hotel as I think you get the picture. I will only make 3 points that toped it for me. 1 This is the first hotel where they wash the disposable plastic cutlery(Grey plastic teaspoons)? 2 No iron in hotel??? . 3 No Dishwasher and Staff washing the glasses (Most are chipped) in tap water and no fresh water for ice. I cannot blame the staff for the hotel as they cannot be blamed for the condition and most are just trying to make a living and are pleasant. About %30 so it’s a shame as the others spoil it for these guys. Now where do I start?????????? The management walk around like they are in the Ritz or the Burj Al Arab. I only saw 1 manager actually do some work and they think they are there to just give orders to staff and walk around. The pool is freezing as no heated pools in hotel. I never went all-inclusive as I had a hunch about the food. I was right!!!! Hence the reason I never got the Trots!!! There was an epidemic of the trots for my whole stay, which was over 3 weeks so I saw many people come and go. At least %40 of families during their stay would have the gastroenteritis at some stage (very poor hygiene measures from hotel). When you book in to the hotel all they want is for you to do everything with them (Which is more than double when you go through the hotel) The shop outside is more expensive than Harrods. And the gift shop??? Its cheaper to go Tiffany’s. The New Years Eve was a celebration of the management giving themselves pats on the back. It was more like a Iddy Amin gala. I went late and left early, But the general manager made the mistake of threatening me said because I went elsewhere and the rep(Hany) said he would call the police for leading guests away? I called my company (They advised) and I went back and asked them to call police, the reception would not?????? I was disgusted with the behavior. There were episodes of staff trying to get in the knickers of all females 15 upwards which was repugnant. Sleazy room cleaners that float around and try to get anything they can from you. 2 faced managers that smile and talk about you to your face (Yes I can understand Arabic) and a Spa that tried to charge £65 pound to get nails done, to and old lady who had a stroke??? Basically someone has brought a hotel and employed all their friends and family. Also they are constantly looking for ways to siphon your money away and over charge for everything as this hotel is all about making money without the service. So if you want a holiday with more drama than “Eastenders” or want your children to sit around the pool all day (No activities or facilities) or want your wife or child (above 14) to be lurched and stalked by staff, (Beware of Hatem reception) or want the Trots or want to throw away money this is the place for you. The General Manager was the worst excuse, as I never saw him actually do anything. I don’t know how they managed to get such nice people to go to the hotel as I met some nice people and families there, which was a bonus. This hotel is not for Brits! I have stayed at worse places but it’s the way its run by the management and the smarminess is what takes the biscuit. Please dont respond to this with an email as it automated or trying to deceive or exonerate yourselves and I will post the pictures up to prove my point.

Room Tip: Pool is freezing for kids
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Derby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were sold this as a 5* holiday & paid over £1000...I feel violated and my reasons are below.

Well when we turned up the reception area was clean, and we were taken to our room. There was 2 separate beds & we were a little disappoint at this but the guy who took our cases just pushed them together for us. The room was massive with not a lot of furniture in, and I agree with some of the comments in that it would benefit from a revamp.

The food was very predictable chicken, beef, potato. It did appear what didn't get eaten on the lunch got used again for the dinner but made slightly differently. In the end we ended up going to the mirage bar across the road for food & they also had free wifi, something viva share didn't.

The all inclusive ended at 10pm which just meant that from 9pm til 10pm everyone stocked up & most if it got left over, word of advice viva sharm extend it till 12 & you'll probably end up giving less out. They ran out of vodka whilst we were there, and I haven't a clue what they then tried to replace it with but it could have stripped paint, it was vile! The best bar man was Hassan. The older Mohammed was ignorant and when someone younger came to the bar stopped serving you & served them instead...incredibly rude.

Mosquitos were rife & despite repellant I got eaten alive and had to see the doctor on site. What I didn't realise until I got back down to my partner was that everyone who was sitting down on the terrace got a birds eye view of my bottom. Word of advice dr shut your curtains!!!

The beaches were nice but when you pay to go all inclusive you don't expect to have to pay for drinks on the beach.

The entertainment team were very good & worked hard and long hours.

The one good thing food wise was the omelettes at breakfast.

The biggest smile on my holiday was when I was on the bus back to the airport. At least I can say I'll never forget my 30th in a hurry.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Viva_Sharm_12, Front Office Manager at Viva Sharm Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
×Our Dear Guest

At first, thank you for giving us part of your valuable time in order to send us your feedback regarding our hotel Viva Sharm ... and we assure that these comments and will endeavor to avoid the speed of these observations in as soon as possible.
I assure you that we have an integrated Menu fits all nationalities as much as possible and I think you have tasted some of them, but certainly there is a difference between the style of cooking has got used it as a pattern for the foods in your country and this is something well known to many people in addition we had some of best staff in kitchen or service always looking after our dear guest.
Thank you for mentioning some positives such as beaches and entertainment team plus much you like our daily omelet station in breakfast. .
Once again thank you for your interest in some of the comments you mentioned and we will do our best to let our guest satisfied and feel always happy with Viva Sharm Hotel .
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is a 2 star hotel, so long as you get the newer rooms. The older rooms are pretty bad, most people arrive and move or have work done whilst there. But I didn't book this expecting 5 star like most.

Food is good, it's not the Ritz but I didn't expect it to be. If you want food cooked from a menu and are fussy then you won't like it here. We all got on ok with the food, no belly issues, all cooked, clean and served with a warm smile.

Pools are ok, could do with the odd tile replaced here and there. Pool isn't heated, pretty cold so keep moving when in it!

Entertainment improved on our second week, but is only 2 star level.

Staff are excellent and extremely warm, so long are you are nice to them. Treat other people as you would want to be treated and all that.

It really pays to look at the breakdown of holiday costs. As a family of 6 we paid £13p.p.p.n for all inclusive, superb value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from reception are newer, these were part of another hotel incorporated into this...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Viva_Sharm_12, Front Office Manager at Viva Sharm Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest

Thank you for choosing viva Sharm hotel for your holiday and thank you for submitting a Trip Advisor review, pleased to know that you had enjoyed your holiday at our hotel and considering back again

The negative points mentioned in your comment will be addressed to the concerned to take the necessary action towards it

Your praises for the staff will be shared with them and they will be grateful for that

Hopefully we can get another chance to welcome you once again

On Behalf of the Management & Staff, Thank you
Eastbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the viva sharm for Christmas and new year, me my husband and four children 20, 18, 16 and 11. Had to pay £110 for Christmas Eve dinner although it was included in my holiday! Rooms were falling apart, TV and phone didn't work, cupboard doors falling of, no lock on door and shower was awful. Food was terrible thank god for macdonalds. Beer was warm and flat served in a small plastic cup as there wasn't enough glasses. wine was only at dinner which tasted awful. New Year's Eve party was however brilliant! Management didn't want you to book trips out with any one else, all of them eyed my girls up the whole time and a few even gave my 16 year old their numbers. Ahmed, Wallis and the pool guy Mohamed were great. Room was cleaned about four times in our 15 night stay and we had to ask nearly every day for towels and toilet paper! Outside the hotel was scary, men trying to get my girls into there shop to give them a present because they are beautiful. So much hassle that we hated going out. Because of my experience we will Never go back to Egypt again as we were constantly worried about our children's safety. Mauro and mimo were fantastic but left for some reason and we didn't see them again, they made viva sharm a better place to be.. Please think twice before taking your children to this country and if you do then don't go to viva sharm. I was to worried to fill out the form on leaving the hotel incase something happened to us if I told them what their hotel was really like, thought I wait till I was safley back in good ole England......

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

On arrival at 4.30 am we were told the hotel was full and we wouldn't be able to check in until 12.00, we were told to wait in the bar or in reception till our room became available and was charged for coffee and not allowed to have breakfast. 12.00 o' clock came and went, still no room. by 2.00 pm we demanded we were given our room as our all inclusive didn't start until we checked in and given a room, we were fobbed off and told to wait until 2.30 when some guests had checked out. when we finally got our room the cleaner had only just arrived so we still had nowhere to shower, change or rest. Once the room was ready it was very dirty, shabby, the bed linen was grey there was a blood stain on the pillow case, air con was noisy, the TV didn't work, fridge was dirty and also noisy. The bathroom was very dated and shabby, the shower was cold. We have stayed at this hotel many times when it was managed by the Falcon group this new management have let the place go. on day two we went to breakfast, I was hoping to have egg on toast to find that there wasn't any butter, when I asked for butter as I thought they had run out I got the response "No butter!" there was no apology and I let them know I wasnt happy I also pointed out that I didn't want water by the glass as I wasn't sure where the water source was coming from as previously water was served by the bottle (sealed). I feel very sorry for the staff as they have to bear the brunt of customer complaints while the managers sit upstairs or in the back room in reception out of the way. we complained to the Rep Hany - youtravel.com who was only interested in selling excursions and keeping friendly with the management. we insisted that we wanted to move hotels as we were very unhappy with the lack of hospitality, poor facilities dirty rooms, and extremely rude staff. If you want the holiday from hell then this is the hotel for you. luckily the hotel Falcon Hills across the road were very accommodating and we spent the rest of our holiday there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here all rooms are dirty and old
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Viva_Sharm_12, Front Office Manager at Viva Sharm Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Our Valuable Guest...
First of all thank you for choosing Viva Sharm showing that unfortunately bad luck prevented us to get chance to being with us for one reason or another,and sure we lost from not being with us.
You were arrived the hotel 4:00 am in early morning during a high season occupancy ...certainly you know that timing of check -in to hotels at 2:00 pm and you remember that you went to stay with your friends in hotel other side and when you came at 10 : 00 am front office manager gave you the plastic band for All Inclusive guest even before your check-in at 2 : 00 pm so that you can get your food & drinks.(origins of hospitality that we know well).
Our Dear Guest Mr.&Mrs. Leach ...definitely we share you that it was long &hard hours for you but believe me that we tried our best with you since we appreciate your request to stay in our quit section ...on other hand am assure you that during hotel operation every manager in his duty and GM following all operation step by step..
Kindly i ask your God Self ..Is it fair to judge the Hotel after spending only one night ? I think may be somebody gave you bad idea about Viva Sharm Hotel for some thing in his mind.
Certainly apologize for any dereliction during the few hours you spent in Viva Sharm with our assurance that our drinking water is always subject to the test of SGS for Health & Safety in the laboratory and results completely safe.
At the ens we appreciate your attention for spending time write your valuable review to us about our hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel is never to 3 star standard. I'll be as objective as I can here & try to list the positives as well as the many negatives.

On arrival, we were taken to our room where we found a maintenance guy still grouting in the toilet which kind of set the tone... The air con controller had more buttons missing than present. Although it was operational, it was a bit like a jet engine starting up... Not conducive to a great nights sleep!

The room we had was a great size & was generally ok despite the fridge not working. The bathroom however was a riot & looked like it had been tiled by Stevie Wonder. The cleaner came in every day & tidied. Not cleaned, but tidied & given that we weren't particularly messy anyway, he had a pretty easy job. Despite this, we had to contact reception twice to ask for toilet paper as he hadn't left any & it was always a bit of a lottery with what towels we may or may not have! We had the room cleaned once 4 days after we arrived. We had towel art once which made my girlfriend very happy.

There is no free wifi which I found strange in this day & age although you can pay about £9 for 5 hours which you can dip in & out of providing you switch your wifi on your phone off after each use. The benefit here is that at least it had a good signal to all areas including the pools.

The quiet pool is a lovely place to sit & is in general good repair although the other pool is really shabby with cracked & broken tiles all around.

We went all inclusive & were really disappointed to find out that wine & bottles of water were not included. It also finishes at 10pm & there's a real sense of just trying to get as much extra money from you as they can. The food wasn't too bad & there was something we could eat at every meal although it was always the same things every day without any imagination. There is a small hot plate taken outside each morning to cook fresh omelettes which were delicious. I happened to notice however that there was no plug attached to the end of the flex & instead, the bare wiring had been exposed & was jammed into the socket! When it was accidentally kicked out, the chef proceeded to jam it back in providing quite the light/spark show! Terrifying!!!

They play the same CD of songs over & over & over & over & over again... I'm not kidding! It will drive you mental! If I never hear Careless Whisper again it'll be too soon.

The staff are all generally really nice & cheery especially Aynam at the quiet pool bar, Ramadan the chef & the quiet pool attendant whose name escapes me at the moment. He laid our towels out in the same place every day for us & was always helpful. There's a group of people who come around each day offering a range of services from massage to haircuts & papers. They're all nice but I found them to be a pain after the first day when I said I didn't want anything & they still persisted in trying to talk us round. Strangely there always seems to be loads of managers walking around & it surprised me that none of them picked up on (or cared about) all the things that need repaired

This is a budget hotel & if that's what you're going for & can deal with the surroundings then go for it however you can visit Sharm El Sheikh on the same budget & stay somewhere far better than here.

All in all, pretty disappointed in the quality & I won't be returning.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Where do I start as we pulled up to Viva Sharm late on our arrival day to Egypt it looked very nice from outside, we were greeted in the normal way in the entrance lobby and the staff seemed very happy and helpful and took our suit cases to our room.
Was so disappointed when shown into our room we had booked a double room but the room had twin beds and was very very dated looked like we had stepped back in time to the 80's, the phone in room was just for show and didn't even have a wire to plug into the wall, in the bathroom the toilet was leaking, I complained about this numerous times and took 3/4 days to get fixed I found this unacceptable as we have an 8 month old crawling around the appartment, the hotel supplied a baby cot for us what was absolutely disgusting looked like it had been found outside.
The shower was terrible not just at peak times like you could expect but all the time would start of freezing then red hot then the water would actually completely stop until it decided to come back on very annoying.
FOOD AND DRINK
The food was terrible very repetitive and taste less if you like boiled rice every day you will be fine we ended up eating out for more than half our holiday, also no sign of any snack bar as described to us just the 1 buffet style restaurant open at specific times.
The drinks were also very bad all the spirits tasted alike and not a nice taste kind of a paint stripper taste but on the up side the beer was good also the all inclusive drinks stopped at 10pm never had this before on an all inclusive holiday, and I have been to Egypt before all inclusive and this wasn't the case.
Entertainment ?????
What entertainment if you call a cd playing around the pool as entertainment you will be ok.

My whole family came home with the dreaded deli belly.

To summarise would I recommend this hotel to anyone YES my worst enemy, but to anybody looking for a nice holiday in a nice hotel definately not avoid Viva Sharm.
And as you can probably guess no I would never return even on a free holiday

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Viva Sharm Hotel? Share your experiences!