“gardenia plaza egypt” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #185 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Isle of Man
“gardenia plaza egypt”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I have just returned from a 10 day holiday at this hotel with my husband and two children and can honestly say all the reviews on this site are true I have never stayed in such a shabby and dirty hotel as this you wake in the morning to the smell of sewreage the garden area is sparyed with sewer water and the same at night. The food is disgusting, there were cracked plates in the dining room they expected you eat from the cups were cracked and chipped. My husband and me both got tummy bugs. There is no entertainment for the kids, no snacks no ice cream. You are asked to go ultra all inclusive which we did not why should we, we paid for all inclusive its a rip off. The pools were never cleaned the paint off one them is peeling at the bottom, my husband saw someone through a few cups of chorline in the pool once if that is there idea of cleaning what hope is there. No way is this a four star its more like a 2 star and thats pushing it. Dont go to this hotel you will regret it we did we have been all inclusive for 10 years and this place is the worst we have been its a nightmare you will regret it believe me.

719 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My wife and i had been to egypt before & got married, stopped in a 5 star and we lived in LUXURY more like an 8 star.

This time we was on a budget and our son (AZEEM) was on his first holiday so we down graded slightly to a 4 star AI (all inclusive), does not sound like much of a differrance 4* and 5* but sorry to say at this hotel its a big differance.

It was more between 1-2 star thats my honest opinion regardless what others have said.

The pool was floating with grease (chip pan oil and water dont mix) 1 Half of the pool was lined with grease you could skate on it other half was like it had been gritted (may be they were expecting snow) and you would cut your feet.

I spent most of my time fighting with the flies in the restaurant than the live chicken on my plate which was still raw, stomach bugs are known at this hotel.

The rags they use to clean the floors are probably 14 yearsold, as old as the hotel they are old, black , smelly and dirty which they use to wipe the bathroom area as well as the floors and furniture (health & safety and hygiene are a priority here).

The limited glasses for drinks are dirty, the dishes are part washed (must disinfect and become smear free when you place your food on)

The toilet areas in the restaurant and reception smell & look like what you see in night clubs at 3am

The best bit is the watering of the lawn its sewage water turning your stomach as they go round and you may be sprayed on if you are walking by they must think you need cooling down but i can say its like a soft cusion brilliant to walk on ( i must try it with my lawn now that im back home).

They favour there own locals and the russians as they are time share or dont complain as thats how they live at home (home from home)

AI= ALL INCLUSIVE ....................WELL WHERE DO I BEGIN..................

NO - snacks through out the day out side or around the pool area, if you decide to eat out side then you must pay

NO - drinking at the bar in the pool area where it is convieniant for all

No - childrens slide if you want to make use then you must pay

No - entertainment on an evening if you would like evening entertainment pay £90 eygptian and get to see entertainment and bbq

NO - free shuttle bus which they own, if you want a day out at the beach or want an evening at naama bay then you must pay

BAD day time entertainment a new team arrived on 22nd August 2009 as we were leaving playing thumping dance- night club music

Not for families or the week hearted ........A REAL HOLIDAY FROM HELL .....

They desperately need a visit from the hotel inspector along with aggy and saggy from how clean is your house and environment of health

Thanks to all the brits who stuck together from Mohammed, Julie and Azeem

sunderland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Firstly we British are not too picky, this place is utter [--], you wnt bath your dirty dog in the pool never mind swim in it........its never cleaned, has no filters and the bottom is coming away resulting in cut feet......Upon arrival your told all inclusive dnt mean all inclusive you have to upgrade to "deluxe".....Staff are ignorant, talk about you when are at the bar etc and constantly want tipping.....they dnt serve pints you get the smallest plastic half pint cup in the world....the slides cost 20 pounds per day to use but only if your english otherwise they are free.....seriously if you want a holiday where you are treated like a 2nd class citizen, want a dirty room, ignorant staff, bad stomach, ripped off daily then come here you will love it...................................

Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Having booked a holiday to Egypt and reading the reviews of this hotel on here we had mixed thoughts. We stayed at this hell hole from 11th - 25th August. Upon arriving and checking in, we were flogged the "All-inclusive deluxe" where you get drinks in ALL the bars, breakfast in your room everyday and a free glass bottom boat trip for an extra $8 a day, which we refused.... a complete mockery of the so called "All-inclusive". We were then shown to our room by a bellboy, who surprisingly didn't ask for a tip! The next day we were woken to the blaring music of the so called "entertainment" at the pool side.

Entertainment in this hotel is a joke, there is no evening entertainment, and the pool entertainment was a shambles, half way through our holiday the entertainment people was sacked for playing gangster rap music (swear words) with young children around! The new entertainment consists of belly dancing and the same music every day (must use the same playlist) boring!

A few days into the holiday we were getting fed up with the same food, every single day..... apparently there was a themed night each day of the week, but to me the food was all the same crap. Drinks were served in tiny plastic cups you'd give a child. I'm sure they used the left overs of food, mix it up and serve it as something else.... vile! Some food wasn't covered properly, fly heaven! Staff are very quick at taking your plate, I went to get a drink, leaving my plate at the table, returned to find my plate had been cleared, best to inform someone just incase!

Our room was cleaned everyday however we didn't think they changed the sheets every day. However, we did have a sewage leek in our bathroom. Toilet roll is very rare, they only replace it when you've used it all!! You literally have to beg for toilet roll, it's pathetic!

The swimming pool isn't filtered and the flooring is really rough, cutting peoples feet, the pool bar can only be used by the so called "All-inclusive Deluxe" customers. If children want to use the slides you see in the photos of this resort it costs $4 a day. You get nothing for free!

The beach is a good 25 minutes away from the hotel, operating a service nearly every hour to it. Be warned that the polish/russians are rude and do barge in and fill the bus!

Security on the gate are a joke! I was mugged on the last night I was in Sharm-El-Sheikh by a taxi driver who stole my iPhone right outside the hotel when he was demanding more money from me. I got out the vehicle after giving him 70 LE (£7) to go a mile up the road, realised I didn't have my iPhone on me and he sped off. I asked the security guard if he had taken down the number of the taxi (which they normally should do for our safety) but never did!!

Apparently there was a Gym, Sauna & Turkish Spa we could use, but we were told my the receptionist that it had been closed for sometime, 6 months +. Paying for a service which isn't available! I have uploaded some pictures of it.

The english people we met were lovely, you've gotta watch out for the rude Russians who think they own the place, barging into you, no manners and ignorant.

Never again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Merseyside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

my boyfriend and i arrived at the gardenia plaza at night.. we had to upgrade to all inclusive deluxe but they didnt have any bands for us so we still were not allowed to drink in every bar!!!! we did not receive towel cards and the staff didnt beleive us!! our room was dirty and grubby... when you are in the pool you cant even see your body it is murky and disgusting!! we only managed breakfast an it was disgusting the restaurant was dirty.. full of flies and smelt appauling. the staff were rude and unaccomodating and we actually moved to a gorgeous 5 star hotel on our first day because i actually couldnt stand it. i am only 19 years of age therefore i am not one of those fussy picky people.. but seriously would never advise anybody to go to this hotel. for an extra hundred pund we went to an amazing hotel called the grand plaza an it was worth every penny!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lowestoft, Suffolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed at the Gardenia hotel with my three children for two very long weeks, I have never known such a bad place, this is advertised as a 4* hotel, I am afraid I have to disagree, the place is dirty, rundown and completely different to the pictures it is displaying. The rooms are a good size and cleaned daily, the bedding is not cleaned daily. The grass is lovely and green but it is watered twice daily with recycled water which smells so bad your stomach wants to leave. The restaurant is also dirty and is overrun with flies, you spend so much time trying to stop the flies getting on your food, if only the staff tried as hard, the serving utensil were left out and I witnessed staff scraping old food onto new, the food is always the same, I know when you go abroad you expect foreign food but be fair in the same respect, the hotel knows not all cultures like mashed potato for breakfast, the children suffer most, if you want childrens food like pizza and chips, then you have to pay for it. When you enter the restaurant you are hit by a very pungent and nauseating smell, not sure what it is but it makes your stomach turn.
There are no gym facilities or spa, sauna or massage service as advertised, the place is closed up and filthy. There is a children's playground that should be condemned, the slides llifts off the ground, the see-saw has one handle missing and another hanging off and there are two spikes sticking out of the ground with no warning signs around it.
I witnessed staff emptying cups and giving them to other people, not even trying to rinse them let alone wash them, one drink perperson, small sized childrens cups are not enough when you are in temperatures of more than 40 degrees. You have to pay for bottled water, every other person I spoke to at the airport on the way home were given bottled water free, not too much to expect.
My shower leaked and flooded the bathroom each time it was used, I reported it immediately but nothing was done.
My son cut his foot on a broken/missing tile in the pool where the slides are, they were no first aid trained attendants there, when I told the manager of my son's injury he siad "what do you want me to do about it?"
I have read other peoples reviews and thought mine was abit tame, I wholly support the other reviews, we are not just negative people. Yes I did go for a late deal to save money but what I actually did was book into hell and paid over the odds for the privilege, if you can CANCEL YOU BOOKING IMMEDIATELY, you will regret it if you don't!
The private beach is actually a 30 minute shuttle bus away, with positives being in short supply I can say you get free drinks at the beach, however no food!, and nowhere close to buy anything either.
The pool is dirty and grimey, you can feel debris at the bottom of the pool, luckily you can't see it, then again you can't see your knees let alone your feet, I didn't once see the pool being cleaned and I had a poolside room.
I wish so badly I had cancelled the hotel and I can safely say I would never return to the hotel, not even for free with added spending money, don't think mine is an isolated case, read and believe other reviews. I had deli belly for 13 days, you can and should go straight to the pharmacy next door for tablets, they cost £12 but stops the embarrassment of toilet issues, although didn't stop my tummy, it did make it bearable. The management are aware of the shortfalls of this hotel but don't give a hoot, this hotel is the worst ever.

pewsey wiltshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Arrived at the hotel late evening and was immediately approached by the "bellboys" who instantly said to me he would take my luggage and where were we from..."you will love [--] Egypt its the b****ks"..Good Start! We checked in and were then drove at high speed over bumps and pathways to our hotel room. On enetering the room as with the hotel it self we thought it was ok, but we had booked a room for 2 adults and a teenager and realised that there were only 2 beds. I said to the "bellboy" we have 3 people and only two beds, he said housekeeping will come in 5 minutes and will make up the pullout sofa bed............waited and waited and given that it was 11pm we decided lets make the bed up ourselves, however no sheets and the wiring of the mattress was broken, so we pulled the two single beds out and pushed them together and slept with my 14 year old daughter in the middle, and resolved to speak to the staff in the morning.
We made our complaint in the morning and filled out a sheet with what it was we wanted done: Clean towels as we only had 2 for the three of us, Toilet tissue as there was only enough to blow your nose in and that the bed was broken. To be fair all of these were rectified but the communication barrier was a problem when someone came to fix the bed, he tried to take the good single bed out of the room and we had to show him where it was broken and our predicument. After 20 minutes of him wrestling with the bed he eventually made some form of repair (at 10pm) because in the night it completely broke again. Woke in the morning to a massive puddle that i nearly broke my neck on by slipping on the floor, to discover that the air conditioning was leaking badly. Again they came to fix it, two men who did not have a clue what they were doing and loitered about for ages for my husband to give them a tip....no no no. They pulled out the table from the room and used this as the ladder to climb into the roof space, after much poking about massive pieces of ice fell to the floor along with a tank full of water., and proceeded to wipe all the surfaces and floor down with a dirty old rag that looked like an old tshirt. Great it was fixed..........Oh no, for 2 days we endured warm air being blown into the room, until the next day when my daughter was struck down with the tummy bug.
We called them back again and at long last the air conditioning was fixed or so we thought, lovely cold air but a constant puddle in the middle of the floor. One daughter ill, along with every other Britsh family, who if it wasn't for their friendliness kept us going, and were all such lovely people and characters. The waiters and every other Egyptian were a right pain the [--], took a shine to me and my daughter because we were blonde! The Russians i'm afraid to say were incredibly rude, harsh and selfish people. The music was far too loud all day long, and the general cleanliness was appaling. The gymn was not even in use and the pool was a godsend to keep you cool but absolutley disgusting to be honest. We have travelled for the last 12 years abroad to many countries and by no means are we snobs, but when you work hard all year for a holiday you do expect so much more other than filth and illness, which my husband went down with on the day we were going home.........what a sheer nightmare!! I could go on with so many more things to compalin about, and other incidents that occured to the British Holiday makers, one poor young boy was petrified by a taxi driver poking him and demanding more money and even threatened him with the "mafia" and from all this my experience of Egypt on the whole is...WE WON'T BE GOING BACK. The Pyramids and Sunshine has all its got going for it. My advice is read reviews before you book...Good Luck!! Fogot to mention too that they never have any change no matter what the cost or what what note you are attempting to pay in.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Gardenia Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!