“SO GOOD I HAVE BOOKED AGAIN :)” 5 of 5 stars

Gardenia Plaza Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Shark's Bay | Airport Road, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #179 of 226 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Southampton, United Kingdom
“SO GOOD I HAVE BOOKED AGAIN :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have just returned home unfortunately after 14 nights, i could have stayed forever!
I traveled as a single mum of two and must say after reading the reviews before travelling to say i was a little worried is a huge understatement but as soon as i arived the worry was swifly replaced by happiness and calm with a large dose of excitement, all thanks to the staff of wich were so attentive, they could never do enough for you!
on arrival we were given refreshing cocktails before being shown our room, the room was basic but spacious and for us the only time spent in our room was sleeping and showering. The air conditioning was good and we had a lovely view from our balcony, what more could you ask for?
The food was great, everyday there was something new to try, my son is so fussy with his food but i have never seen him try and enjoy so many different foods, needless for me to say the diet begins here lol ( thankyou chefs and all catering staff, you are all top x )
The good about this hotel far out way the bad but there were a couple of issues.........
There was a £2 a day charge for the flumes and when travelling with children works out very expensive
There is only one shop open at the hotel wich only stocks the very basics and the off site supermarket is also closed, this is fine if you dont mind travelling to the beach where you have a short walk to a supermarket to buy drinks for your in room fridge, the hoel does sell cans of coke, sprite or fanta but at four times the cost of the supermarket!
Thats the bad and if i was to tell you all of the good this would become a book :) so i will just mention a few..........
We met some wonderfull people on our holiday.... The main recepton bar staff... Bob ( luv ya ) one of the nicest, funniest barmen ever, Ismail AKA Elvis ( you will know when you see him ) lovely guy. Mustafa Magdy works one of the pool bars ( genuine, attentive, kept me in wine for two weeks x )
The cleaning staff were great, every day we had different towel art and its not about the tipping they just like to see you smile as they are every day!
The annimation team, there were two in particular that stood out for me and helped make my holliday what it was Mido and Sassa, two great guys, they were fun, funny, active, amazing with the little kids and the big kids ie me, i hope to see them both there on my return in december!
The restaraunt staff, Bola and Tamer so much more than waiters they were so good with the children, always made sure we had sufficient drnks at meal times, shame they were hidden away in the restaraunt, could have braught them home with us, thankyou guys x

Lastly i need to say a massive thankyou to the man that found a ring in my safe after i had checked out that belonged to my grandmother, i had never seen him before and i dont know his name but he came looking for me and gave me back the ring and words can not describe how greatfull i am, thanks again x
That for me sums up the hotel and its staff, hope you pick this hotel and have a great time like i did!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just returned after 11 nights here at the Gardenia, What can say other than the staff cannot do enough for you, the food was plentiful with a very wide choice, the rooms were clean and well presented.
Animation team did everything to get guests to join in which my husband and I did with great amuzement, Mido and Sessa always with a smile and friendly attitude got us to join in things I wouldnt normally (especially aqua aerobics)!! they filled the gaps on our lazy days and we found it all very entertaining.
Bar staff were great Bob never left our glasses empty he knew what we wanted before we did.. a perfect gent with awesome attitude ;)
The food was plentiful with a wide variety for all palettes... Mr Kamel (head Chef) was always filling my plate and made sure he always said hello which was a nice touch. The waiting staff worked hard and never stopped they were extreamly helpfull polite and always cleared tables brought drinks without even asking, Tamer and Bola you were fantastic.
Plastic cups were given at the pool but if you promised to return glasses back to the bar then it was never a problem to get a proper glass (dont forget this is mostly for health and safety reasons, I am sure if you cut your foot on a broken glass you have more to say thats to all the people complaining!)
The gardens and pools were lovely, always cleaned throughtout the day, gardens were well maintain and looked beautiful.
Overall we had a fantastic holiday here we had no complaints, we were looked after at all times.
We are definately planning to return we met some lovely people which finished our holiday off to a T...
Thanks to all the staff for making this one of our best holidays to date :-)

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the main pool was in a great location not too far from the restaurant etc...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hotel : The hotel is 5 minutes away from the airport which makes transfers very easy if you don't have a package holiday. Always clean and tidy in all parts of the hotel. Pool cleaned daily and staff on hand to make sure it remained tidy throughout the day. We had been upgraded to a superior room however the standard rooms were spacious and would have been perfect anyway. Each room has a FREE safe built into the wardrobe with easy set combination code to open and close, plenty of space for clothes and has a hairdryer.

Food : I am a fussy eater, no salad and very little veg, yet I ate loads. There was plenty of options for every meal .... (1) Breakfast was the same daily, options included yoghurts ~ pancakes with four different sauces / toppings ~ boiled eggs ~ either fried eggs or omelet (your request, could have both) ~ toast ~ pastries .... (2) Dinner had a daily soup and several options for main meal .... (3) Tea had an option of two different soups and several options for main meal. Both dinner and tea also had a fresh pasta option. Every meal time had fresh bread including rolls or self cut crusty loaf, fresh fruit, plenty of fresh cakes / deserts and fresh salad. One comment mentions the meats, how the chef handed it to you limiting you to how much you can have. Yes, sometimes a chef did serve you but you could ask for more (I did) or even go back for more. There were some guests that got plates full of food and then left it all, instead of getting a little and trying first - I can only see being served as a positive towards Customer Service.

Staff : From the cleaning staff to the hotel manager, all staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel has a customer liaison, Norra, and she constantly walked round the hotel from early morning to late evening making sure all was OK with the hotel guests. The manager and deputy manager could also be found walking the hotel talking to the guests. The staff in the restaurant were always friendly, staff would see where we were sitting and they would have placed a drink on our table ready for our return with our food. Constantly on top of clearing used plates and cleaning finished tables. Another comment mentioned that the staff didn't want to know the customer because a tip wasn't given - I find this hard to believe - there is a tip box in the restaurant so the staff don't know who has or hasn't left a tip. We left a tip in the box half way through our holiday, staff didn't know we left the tip yet the customer service we received was excellent throughout our stay.

Entertainment : The 'animation' team had 4 members. Yes they rely on the hotel guests but they work hard and are always making the effort. Friendly, funny and active the animation team try to get everyone involved from children to the elder. Daily activities were the same - stretching exercises, aqua arobics, darts, water volleyball. Evening entertainment starts with a childrens disco, then the evening entertainment activity, then some nights they do a trip to a local nightclub.

All in All : After booking our holiday we read some of the comments on Tripadvisor and there was a lot of comments saying how bad it was etc, we started to get concerned. I cannot say if the previous comments have any truth but if they did then the hotel has changed because we could NOT find ANY truth in the comments during our visit. We met a few other English couples / familes and we all agreed, the bad comments are not justified. We loved our stay, we loved the staff and we would definitely stay there again.

Special Mentions : We felt that a couple members of staff needed a special mention, a thank you direct to them. Bob Ehab, barman on the main bar in reception area. Always made sure our glasses were full, drinks ready for you before you made it to the bar, always chatty and cracking jokes. Mido Yahya, one of the animation team members. Went the extra mile to get people involved and great with the kids. I've already said that all staff were friendly but these two went out of their way to get to know the guests - always friendly, always smiling. They both deserve this acknowledgment and a very big thank you ~ Thank you Bob and Mido.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Just come back after spending 2 weeks at this wonderful hotel so don,t believe the older reports that you see on here,they may have been true then but not now!
We booked this hotel last minute as the one we wanted was fully booked and the company we were booking through recommended this one,we were not dissapointed as it was both of our 60th birthdays and our 39th wedding anniversary
Could not fault the cleanliness of the rooms(including the towel displays,crocodile,swan etc)also the well kept and maintained gardens and choice of swimming pools,also a big thanks to all the staff who were very friendly and couldn,t do eneugh for you,especially Tamar and Bola in the dining room and Abdulla and Elvis behind the bar.
We had a real good chill out time at this hotel and did not even venture outside until our second week and would happily go back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chertsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Just returned from 10 glorious days at this hotel and quite honestly could not find fault with anything ,
staff wonderful and helpful
Food delicious always something to eat freshly prepared and nourishing.
Bar/s good variety and service with a smile
Hotel overall clean and well situated its own beach is a 10min drive but worth it free shuttle to take you .
Taxi service ask for the guy ahmed spks good english and doesnt rip you off wont take payment unless you have him for return .try soho sq in sharks bay brilliant for shops and fairly inexpensive .
take my advice for a blinding holiday use this hotel
garry

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
liverpool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

we arrived after a 61/2 hour delay and were told the bar was shut and we would have to order food from the room service and pay.the food was terrible and was always served warm/cold with very little choice.all meats were not self service and a chef was on hand to make sure you received small portions.we noticed a particular waiter who at first couldn`t do enough for us but ignored us after two days when we hadn`t tipped him.a barbaque arranged had to be cancelled after being shunned by the British when they wanted to sell you tickets for £9.at breakfast we were faced with plastic cups to put our hot drinks in.NOT RECOMMENDED.
the entertainment (animation team) were very amateurish and relied mostly on audiance participation.there was a constant change of staff,and one member who attempted a fire eaters display was badly burnt on what I think was his first attempt.at the end of our stay the animation team totally disbanded and were left leaderless.
beer was served in the lobby bar in small glasses,no pint glasses,and in the other bar the dredded plastic cups.I hope never to see a plastic cup in my life again!
this is also the first A/I I have stayed were it is not all inclusive.I have never had to pay extra for the kids water slides,not mentioned in the brochure or never had ice cream unavailable.can you believe bottled water also had to be paid for.
the staff were all very friendly and helpful except for the aforementioned waiter.
I would recommend sharm to visit but please choose another hotel and be very careful of the taxi drivers some of whom negotiate a price ant then demand extra.I recommend you suggest they call the police to sort things out.It happened to me.
this hotel is in the sticks and requires taxis everywhere as the free shuttle bus in my opinion is not a very good service.too infrequent.I can also say I was not impressed with the private beach there are far better public beaches available.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Helsingborg, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

When booking a chater Holiday one try's to choose something that agrees with your pocket as well something that will make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. This hotel isn't worth the visit, it doesn't matter how they try and make out it is a classy hotel it is horrible.
The rooms: cold, dirty, old and the beds are so hard the floor was softer. The kitchen was a joke, I wouldn't dare boil tea water there.
The restaurant: more like a cafe than a restaurants no table clothes just plastic top tables, food was very basic, after two days we eat out in town...
services: Pool was cold, water shoot was closed unless you paid extra. Staff were helpful if they know a tip was on offer. Shows and entertainment were very bad, they thought they were world class but they were a long way from that.

Do not book a holiday here it's full of drunk Russians and staff trying to sale something to you.

Room Tip: My tip is not to choose a room at this Hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gardenia Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!