“our honeymoon - awful illness” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Xperience St. George Homestay

You added Xperience St. George Homestay to your Saves list
Xperience St. George Homestay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Magless El Madina St | Um El Sid Hill, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #45 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
England, Arkansas
“our honeymoon - awful illness”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon as it had raving reviews on the travel agent's website and seemed good value for money for all inclusive and on first appearance we felt that we had found a real bargain.

The hotel looked to be clean with plenty of staff but from our experience there we cannot be sure of hygiene of staff and food handlers as in the last 3 days of our honeymoon we were both very ill with diahorrea - this continued on the day of departure and for some weeks after we got home. Tests have since confirmed that it was food poisoning caused by SHIGELLA which has since caused several other conditions, the worse of which is REACTIVE ARTHRITIS and we still continue to suffer.

The food is buffet style at the hotel and we avoided certain foods which appeared to have been re-used during the day and in other dishes the following day and left uncovered . We had spoken to other guests staying at the hotel and some had said they had felt unwell and had similar symptons of diahorrea, some worse than others.

As a result of our continuing illness we are now taking legal advice and looking to take this serious matter further.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for a week, it was lovely the staff where really helfpul. ideal place for sand sea & sun. If you wanrt anything different this it's not the right place. Food was good but almost the same not much changed over the week. if you like your food spicey its not there. There is a shuttle bus that takes you to the Beach for st georges which again gives you all your inclusive facilities food and all drinks are free. If you miss the shuttle get a taxi from the road not the hotel taxi you can haggle and pay about 10 E.P to get to the beach or you could share with other people a pay less.But there is no other beach to go to for free. If you fancey achange you can visit the sister beach there is a charge of 40 egyptian pound which is apporxmatly £8.00 i beleive it's all-inclusive.

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

This hotel was always really clean, well run and a good base for all that is Sharm El Sheikh.
The staff were friendly, helpful and worked very hard to give us good service. The food is OK, nothing more nothing less. There was always a good selection of anything you could wish for, beautifully presented. The brown, cut your own bread at Breakfast was wonderful with a warm boiled egg. Our room was huge, the bed really comfortable, but it lacked a few luxuries, but for the amount of time we were in it, it did the job. The bus shuttle to the beach was well organised, but busy, however a good tip is to flag down a 'blue n white' taxi outside share it with another couple, pay no more than 15LE and get to the beach before the bus load. You get the pick of the loungers. The beach is in walking distance, but it does take a good 20mins.
We really loved our week at this hotel, we wished we had booked for 2 weeks.
Naama Bay, in my opinion is over rated and really expensive. The Old Town is worth a look. Fantasia and its area is worth a look too. My advice is to go to Sharm before it gets too commercialised.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Spent a week here in January, found the hotel clean and staff friendly as long as you are female. We were slightly disappointed with the food but then having only paid £120 each for the hotel all food and drink included what would you get in Spain for that.

We had a massage in the Renaisannce Spa which seemed reasonable value till we got home paid for £80 of treatments on a debit card , we were told there would be a 5% surcharge this turned into 20% when we got home. You get ripped off if you pay with Egyptian Pounds as well so if you haven't got enough pounds sterling i wouldn't bother.

If you want a cheap break it's hard to beat, if your're used to Mexico or Caribbean you will be disappointed.

Sharm airport what a rip off £6 for a sandwich take food with you.

Luton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

The Good stuff....
- The friendly fabulous Egyptian staff, who amongst many guests, will remember you personally, your room number and your needs.
(particularly Michael the Guest Relations Officer, and the cleaning staff.) - Also Peter the artist who works outside and created a beautiful custom piece of art for me.

- The fab Monarch flight back

- Hotel was very cheap and therefore good value for money.

- The trips! - someone on here said dont do the trips! - dont listen. Take a boat trip to the desert Island and go snorkelling with the experienced staff amongst the coral reef - you will love it.

- Take a jeep trip to the desert to drink tea with the Beduin people, then venture up the Sinai coast to Dahab and back.

The not so good stuff....

- The awful Thomas cook flight there.

- we both have brave stomachs usually, but we both got ill. i only ate pasta! - no meat or salad or ice, and all those tips - but still got ill!

- Our bathroom it was run down tired and tatty, we had the plumber out twice, once when a hot tap came shooting off causing cahos, and on arrival as our sink plug was stuck! (plumber arrived within 5 mins both times though!)

- Some of the people that go there!!!!! - i know that sounds awful, but seriously, there was an older couple crisping themselves to a new ethnicity and showing way to much cleavage for an 80 year old. Alot of the people when we went were over indulgent large people with 4 plates of chips each for lunch and dinner - bit embarrasing to watch them scoffing and struggling to get on and off the sunbed amongst the slender healthy Egyptian staff!

- That generator thing thats built beside the hotel thatsounds like a plane landing in the room next door.

- Take travel monopoly or something - it is so true there is not much to do in the evening!

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean place, quiet pool.
  • Disliked — getting ill, one star bathroom!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed at St George for a week 22nd - 29th Jan after spending hours and hours researching reviews for several hotels. First impressions were ok, nice room with balcony, great friendly service at quiet pooll bar where we headed straight from our long flight and airport experience, but 2nd time to Sharm so expected the chaos.
Excellent service with a smile at quiet bar..but WHAT are the little white plastic cups about? Bizarre and totally cheapens the place..but drinks are good quality, beer is lovely and I do not usually drink beer. Pina Colada excellent but 2 sips from plastic cup and it's all gone.
Reastaurant was our next stop, initially seemed fair choice of food, but it was the same every night, but all edible and for what we paid it was good value. Bit like eating in a noisy canteen, if you want some holiday atmosphere head into Naama bay and eat at one of the beach side restaurants, great ambience and very reasonable..drinks bit expensive in some bars in Naama however.
The weather all week was amazing and getting hotter every day, need to get up by 8 to get a good spot by pool, but no problem in getting up most mornings as was woken by generator which sounded like an aircraft taxiing on a runway..unbelievable, I cannot believe more people have not mentioned it?
The St George Beach was AMAZING..we loved it, worth going back to the hotel just to go to beach..shuttle bus every half hour and when you drive in it is a bit of a building site because they are developing it, it will be even more amazing when finished. Excellent restaurant overlooking beach..this was when we really fely like we were on holiday.
Guys come round offering different things e.g I got a full pedicure and cute polish for about £10 and my eyebrows threaded for about £6!! I had always wanted that done ( threading is an ancient hair removal method carried out with threads of cotton, would cost you a fortune to get it done in UK!). If you do not want any of the things they offer they do not bug you and are very polite.
We only discovered beach last few days, but wish we had spent every day there.
Overall a relaxing holiday, lovely clean rooms, good drinkd, fair food, Brilliant Beach..but beware the GENERATOR, hoping to return to Sharm later in year but will try another hotel, went to Oriental resort last year and that was excellent.

Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

Lovely hotel, nice staff, excellent value for money – just in a poor location.

I’ve just returned from a week in the St George’s Three Corners (19th Jan to 25th Jan 2009) – in Sharm, Egypt. Like a lot of prospective holiday makers to this hotel on here – I too have been reading a lot of the more recent reviews – and I was a little apprehensive about going out to this hotel. Some of the reviews lately have not been that great.
Anyway – I’m pleased to say – that apart from a few wee minor hiccups, we really did have a good holiday. The only thing that would STOP be going back to this hotel is that
a) it’s in the middle of no where – and you need to get taxi’s everywhere or walk, and
b) Its sited right next to a TURBINE POWER GENERATOR – which when it fires up – sounds like a helicopter is taking off next to you!
This only tended to happen between 6 and 9 at night – but there were 2 days out of our week – when it was on all day. If you were sunbathing at the busy pool – then you probably wouldn’t have heard it – but we always sat at the quite pool – and believe me – you DID hear it! You did get used to it – but I have to be honest and say – that it would really make me think about going back to the hotel.
Saying all that – I did enjoy the holiday, the hotel, the food, the beer, and the staff at the hotel. And it was FANTASTIC VALUE for the money which we paid.
I booked the hotel thru “Sunshine” and to be honest – I thought they had made a mistake – it was THAT cheap. I had emailed the hotel – and got them to organise a hotel limo for us 40 EUR for return trip to the hotel and back to the airport. Well worth it!
Arriving in Sharm airport – WAS as chaotic as I was expecting. There’s the whole “visa” thing – which seems to confuse everyone. There were about 6 flights which all landed within 30 mins – and the Queue for the passport booths soon turned into a rammy! Someone jumped the Queue – and I thought there was going to be WW3 at one point!
I had also emailed them to ask for a twin room – facing the quiet pool – and that’s exactly what we got. So I was well impressed with that.
There are lots of things I could repeat – but just read the previous reviews but my tips or hints are as follows....
Get out and walk to IL MERCATO – outdoor mall – it’s great. Cost coffee – cheaper and better that starbucks there!
Pharmacy out hotel and turn right. You can get anything over the counter there.
BE CAREFUL when using credit cards – one guy charged me 1500 EG pounds – when it should have been 150. Then pretended not to know how to refund the card. Got it sorted out eventually – but just BE CAREFUL!
Wasn’t too bothered with mossies – must have been lucky – though we did take sprays out for night time. During the day – it’s mostly flies and dragon flies – and they don’t really hurt you!
Take a few empty bottles of water so you can fill them up from the water stations for use during the day
We went to meals when they opened – get in get out fast. Food was really good – NOT FANTASTIC – but lovely – and I defy anyone not to find SOMETHING they’d like....
The bar in the lobby was THE place to be – as it was actually a wee bit chilly at night – so you only got a few folk at the pool bars... the glasses you get at the lobby bar are fine – but I did see some folk with plastic pint tumblers – which I know they filled up no bother.
Loungers were plentiful – but I got mine at 8 and then I got first choice. We were there Jan – so loads of loungers even at 10/11
Not sure what it would be like if the hotel was FULL – I reckon there would be a rammy for them.
Didn’t sunbathe around the big pool at all – so can’t comment really on the entertainment or Animation team – as they call themselves... Not really my thing – but folk seemed to be having fun. We stayed at the quite pool – BLISS – no one disturbed you at all....

Didn’t go to the beach – but the week we were there – everyone was raving about how fab it was now. I know there had been a lot of negative stuff on here about the beach – but the week we were there – the St George actually took ownership of looking after the beach – and it was meant to be far cleaner and better than it had been. You get all your “ALL INC” there – drinks lunch etc.... Free bus from the hotel also.
Didn’t use the bus to Namma bay – just got taxis. You’ve got to get in a blue and white taxi – just for the experience – we paid 40 EGY each way – I know you could have got it cheaper – but I couldn’t be bothered haggling too much!
I thought Namma bay was just AWFUL – the hassle we got – and the hassle I saw other people getting was truly disgraceful. I’ve been to Turkey many times – and you get some hassle there – but nothing like what we saw and got in Namma bay. Only in Namma Bay – nothing in Il Mercato and Nothing in Fantasia
Go to Fantasia it’s great. And if you’ve got time go and see the light and Laser show it’s really good and only costs a tenner UK. You can go and see the show and have a meal for about 20 GBP – well worth it.
I’ve read it in many reviews – but I have to mention MICHAEL – the Guest Relations Manager! He’s a total STAR! He’s the guy to know – if you need anything – just go see him. He’s worth his weight in GOLD – and I just hope that the hotel – really appreciate just how good he is with people. We went on his City/ Resort tour. 3.30pm to 6.30pm Monday’s and Friday’s – Best 5 GBP we spent when we were there!!
Bank in hotel – you get “ok” rate – but it was kind of what I was getting in the UK – once they take off their commission. ATM machine in lobby too – never used it – but I’d imagine there would be charge.
Fridge and safe in room – all free and fantastic
Beds..... ermmmm.... well – HARD??? Thought after first few days – it was actually ok – but by the end of a week – I was glad to get back to my own bed! – they really WERE hard!
Air Con in room is great – we didn’t use it much – as it was just lovely at night – but when we did give it a blast – it really worked great – I’d imagine you’d REALLY need it if you were out there in the height of summer with Temps of up to 50 degrees.... Rooms were REALLY large. No probs with hot water etc.... Good TV channels for UK viewing (if you wanted to)
When we were there – then temp was 25 – 30 during the day – and about 15 at night..... Take a jumper at that time of the year...
Long trousers for the dining room at night. Shorts OK for Breakie and Lunch – but EVERYONE wore long trousers at night. I just wore jeans.
Shops in hotel – never used – dare I say the word RIP OFF??? There’s one that sells everything from UK shops. One example “Piz Buin” – standard size bottle was 140 EGY which was about 18 GBP when we were there! – Need I say more???
We were kind of paranoid about using the hand gels before eating and handling money – and we didn’t get Egypt tummy at all.
The Fitness suite/ Gym is really great – 20 GBP for 7 days or 12 GBP for 3 days. All the machines in the gym are really modern and was well impressed with the kit they had there. Steam room, sauna etc... – all lovely.. Well worth the money – and gives you something else to do.
IN SUMMARY – had a lovely quite holiday. Hotel was great – but for me – just in the wrong location. If I were going to go back to Sharm – and I wanted a cheap week – where I didn’t want to go anywhere or do anything – then I might stay here again – but if I wanted to be more in the thick of things – then I’d chose another hotel – with a more central location. I hope you’ve found this review of help – please feel free to email me with and Q’s and I’ll try and answer them for you....

• Liked — Great Value for Money
  • Disliked — The location - next to power generator
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Xperience St. George Homestay? Share your experiences!