“Loved it, want to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE VIP Package!!!!!
Ranked #58 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
chorley,lancashire
“Loved it, want to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

Well where do I start, suggest you get a brew and a fag cos this review might be a bit long. I promised I would give a honest review and here goes, sorry if I waffle at times (might be the voddie and sprite) lol

We went 28th August to 11th sept.

Not a good start to the hols, had a 4hr delay, due to plane being 1hr late coming into Manchester from Palma, then door at rear of plane not closing proper, took 4 engineers to sort out this,then missed direct slot machester to sharm, had to take on extra fuel so we could fly longer way, then cabin crew were due off duty but no stand by crew available, finally took of 5pm and got to sharm, around 11.30pm as the clocks had gone back 1hr. The saving grace of the delay was 5 bottles of voddie for £35 at the airport lol!

Got to Sunrise Island Gardens around 12.15am, we had booked a private taxi transfer, and I can only praise them , they were there for us despite the delay.(pm me if anyone needs them). We were welcomed in the most warm manner imaginable, they asked if we wanted late supper and were shown into the restaurant, we were very wary about this first supper, it was chicken roll/meat slices and salad, and as we had no idea how long this had been sitting around we erred on the side of caution and only had a small amount despite being starving.

Got shown to room, which was basic as expected but clean, had emailed and asked for a pool side room and that is just what we got, room 156 right by the pool with the slides.

Despite only getting to bed around 1.15am I was up at around 5.45am, I am always like this even at home. Went out and bagged two sunbeds by the pool, despite the early hour I ended up chatting to Tom and Violet, a lovely couple who were in the same block as me, and Carol from Leicester. Even at 11am there were still sunbeds to be had, but the brollys were in short supply, must admit though we did have brolly.

We were not total sunbed addicts , but as the weather was really hot we found that the early morning sun was great, we had early breakfast and would be on the sunbed at 7.30am some mornings. We usually went in the lobby bar around 12 before lunch and when we went back out, I was always under the brolly in the shade until 3.30/4pm. Word of warning, use a hat if you have fine hair like me, or even thining or short hair, that sun is fierce. As the hols went on we heard about more who were in trouble with sun stroke signs in many differnt ways

The pool guy/ life guard was Mahmoud, he was brilliant, tipped him first day and he treated us well, always asked how we were and was very friendly,he even brought us piccys of his wife, she was beautiful, if I manage to go back next year I look forward to seeing pics of his first child as she is pregnant and he is so proud of the fact. Only problem with him is he got a new pea in his whistle for Christmas, he did like to blow it for all sorts of reasons.

The food was much better than I thought it would be after reading some of the reviews on here, I think people go to the main serving area and dont look at what else is being offered. The cooking station at the far left does eggs in the morning. he will cook you fresh fried eggs, or omelettes, they also have beef bacon here, yes I also asked myself how do you get bacon this way but after giving it a try it was quite okay. The same cooking area did pasta at lunch ( just dont have garlic if the older guy with tash doing it, boy does he put lots of garlic in, he must be afraid of the vampire bats ) and at night it had a dish of the day, some people didnt even bother looking here before moaning there was nothing to eat. The theme night was another way to try things you normally would not do, just try a little bit, you just might get a nice surprise or two, the bread was to die for- I normally dont eat breakfast and lunch and only have an evening meal and dont eat sweets, but I was eating every thing, good job they didnt weigh me as well as my case, cos i am sure i would have been charged excess after all the sweets, bread etc I have eaten. The Italian is a must! We had a yummy meal, only a small menu but well worth the trip. Book as soon as you get there as they only have limited places, failing that ask to speak to George the manager, he will get you in where water cant get. The BBQ was nothing special, the mixed starter was great but on the mains the jacket spuds were cold, the lamb kebabs tiny and the meat, well I thought it was shoe leather but it turns out it was liver, BUT the chicken kebabs were lovely, once again though this is only my opinion of the meal. Also if you have special dietry needs or aversion to certain foods ASK, they were more than willing to assist one lady who did not like highly seasoned food,

The pool bar opened at 8am, soft drinks only till 10am, but alcohol after 10am, Elsayed was usually on duty at this time and a friendly smile and a tip meant we got a coffe or a soft drink brought over to our sunbeds every morning.

In the lobby bar (or in my case should that be the looby bar) you will find the lovely Tameer (Tommy), he is a cutie, he went home for a week but still managed to remember what we drunk on his return.

Yes the drinks are not to our standards, yes the beer is not always filled to top, some times this is as the beer is fizzy, the spirts do taste a bit like lighter fuel (omg just admitted to knowing taste of lighter fuel) but they are trying their best, give them a break, give them a chance.

The room boy was a diamond, he lined our cosmetics, shampoos etc with military precision, made pretty designs with our night wear, unfortunately never did the towel flower thing for us but was very good, never ran out of loo roll and towels and beds changed almost daily.

The sister hotel is only a 5 min walk away, and yes it is safe to walk, just remember they drive on opposite side of road to us. The shuttle bus will take you to the top of the path to the beach, ok walking down to the beach is ok but does pull on the thighs of us old ones on the return to the bus stop lol.

The beach is shingle/grainy sand, but ok. If you can snorkel this is great place, if you cant snorkel it is still a great place. Go to the second of the two pontoons, it has a hole in middle of the the main area that the dive school use for trial scuba dive, the fish here are so close, we tried to snorkel but must admit we didnt manage it proper , but we were okay with just the mask and a big breath, believe me the underwater view was mind blowing.If you go the beach you get free soft drinks and free snacks, but if you take your green AI band off they will serve you with beer. Just keep it on you at all times here and say it got snaged on door hangle or something if asked .Also if you returned to the sister hotel at night they give you vouchers(not enough) but in the evening you could also get alcohol, as long as none of you had wrist bands on.

If you want to use the internet dont use the hotel one, it is slow and very expensive. Go out of the hotel front gate, turn rght to bottom of road, about 2 min walk, left at this T junction to the internet cafe, they charge 15EP £1.50 for the first half hour, they have fast speeds, web cams and are really helpful

The hotel bus is 35EP to Namma Bay return, its a long journey there, our bus was always late, we were supposed to be picked up at 7pm but it was almost 20 past when her arrived, the roads are wierd, U turns abound but in the strangest way, we got there at 8pm, but had booked the return journey for 9.30pm so were restricted, it was no way as bad as it had been made out to us, it was no hotter than sitting around the entertainment area at night and the hassle was no worse than being in the bazzar in marmaris. the return is much faster cos no U turns needs.Word of warning here, dont pay in sterling for this shuttle, ask them to book it to your room, same with calls, internet or fruit juices at breakfast, I fell foul of the BAD BAD EXCHANGE RATE, the bus is as I said 35EP per person, I gave reception a £20 note expecting 165EP in change, I got 140EP meanng I lost out quite a bit, so be warned.

I was not ill but my friend was taken VERY ill on our 3rd night in hotel, I went down to reception in the early hours and they offered the doctor straight away, she declined, and thankfully she was ok after about 3 days

They are working on the poolside area, they original floor is cracked and slippy, only problem is they have third of pool side sunbed access closed off nearest bar and the water slides have been stopped whilst they do the area under them, try the big white slide it is brill.

The biggest thing I have to say that lets this hotel down is the evening entertainment, it is awful, infact words cant really describe how bad the entertainment is. Every night they have kids disco, trust me if you are by pool area you will pray for the train song, wont go into to many details, you will soon find out it means the end of the kids disco, then comes the adult entertainment, this is horrid, the animatiom team from the hotel try their best but it is dire, they do have so called proffesional entertainment but trust me your local working mens clubs/pub/bar would never employ them more than once, and then they would try to get out of paying them.

The picture guys have come in for some some stick but I must admit they can airbrush your pics to a fine art, £5 for small pic and £10 for large, but obvious better deals if more pics.

Health Spar not bad, haggle him down.

The shops are ok, we came home with lots of free gifts from them just for taking time asnd trouble seeing what they had on offer

If you have a late flight back you can book courtesy room, you have to do this 3 days before departure, you can also ask to keep room on, £15 to keep it on till 5pm, only thing is they wont confirm if you can keep room on till 10am day of departure, if you cant use the courtesy room you can have a shower at the health club, but go before 5.30.

We never once felt pressured into giving tips, we tipped when and where we felt it was deserved, yes you may get asked to change £1 coins for either paper sterling or EP, we tipped in £1 coins so were well prepared to take them home with us.

All in all the whole staff deserve much more money than they get, I feel so sorry for them especially at the moment, it is Ramaden and they are not allowed anything from sunrise to sunset in that heat, god we would have wilted by 9am without a drink.

I have no doubt left loads of things out, but if you want to know anything please ask away.

Big hi to Jo also known as sandpat on here, she came out on the friday, her Nick is a gent, even though he had to be shamed into blowing the lilo back up, lol

Sorry if I waffled but did warn u all

• Liked — friendly bar staff especially by the pool as we used this the most
  • Disliked — lack of GOOD evening entertainment
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

Just got back after spending 2 weeks there and I can not understand some of the negative reviews about this hotel.From the moment we arrived (the first words said to us was "welcome home") we were made to feel welcome.The rooms are not the best in the world but they are clean and who spends much time in there room.It did take us a few days to get used to the heat which reached 47C one day but I think that was because we didnt have a summer here.The pool was a godsend and the whole area was tidy in fact they cleaned up all the time.I drank the beer but only at night and it was good plastic cups didnt look dirty my wife drank the vodka which did smell funny and they didnt always have ice.We ate at the hotel evey night and I ould say it is typical all inclusive buffet food.There is plenty of choice to suit everyone if you only like English food(they have to cater for lots of nationalities) then stay in the UK.Although in the evening if you went between 7 and 8 when it is busy it was hard to get a drink and they tend to try to take your plate or drinks away before you finish.No doubt they are under pressure form the restaurant manager.We went with Thomas Cook who I think are a rip off when it comes to trips and transfers,they wanted £180 each for a day trip to Cairowhen I told them Med Hotels were quoting £150 each and £110 for our son the rep Natalie said they were dodgy and not insured when we went to book with her the noext day she was fully booked but could recommended Med Hotels you figure it out.In the end we got the trip for £350 for the 3 of us,ask around the hotel and you will get a good price trust the locals they will not rip you off.Going to see the pyramids is a must.My only regret was we didnt do enough trips it was just too hot.heres my tips for staying there.
Go to the buffet after 8 you will get a better service and tip the dinks guy £1 you wont have to ask for another drink because he will keep bringing you more.
Book the 2 other restaurants when you arrive they get very busy.
Get up early to secure a sunbed and brolly you will need it,we kept our towels overnight and got to the pool before 7.30 dont be embaressed to do this as everyone does it.
Tip the people who work there they work from 8 in the morning to midnight and they always smile(I couldnt do there job)
Book a trip to Tiram island form the guys ny the buffet entrance its a great day out.
The evening entertainment is a bit dodgy but its watchableand the entertainment team try very hard.
We never saw anyone queue jumping or rude people
This is a good hotel for the money and we would go again but maybe not in August.
I would give it 9 out of 10.
PS dont buy things from the supermarket outside go around the corner where there are more shops and its cheaper

• Liked — The staff and the pool plus ot was good to see the sun every day for 2 weeks
  • Disliked — Not much of a beach unless you like snorkeling
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hitchin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Just got back from Sunrise and had and amazing time. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon. We had read mixed reviews on the place but hey you cant please everyone. We were made to feel very welcome from the moment we arrived untill the day we left. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to help in anyway they could. Although the hotel doesn't have a beach location their sister hotel does, which is only a short hotel bus trip away (5 minute walk). The beach, although not golden sand was well kept and the sea/coral was amazing, take or buy a snorkel and mask as the underwater world is something to see to be believed.
The food was plentiful and varied everyday and always had something different to try.
The waiting staff were great and once they got to know you your drinks would be on your table before you sat down.
The rooms were basic but well kept and very clean. Beds were made everyday and towels were changed as and when you wanted them to be.
All in all we had a fantastic time, the only down sides was the evening entertainment and the people we met up with.(only joking strut and tabata)

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Single beds!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

we have been to the island view before as a family of 2 adults and 1 child (firt visit 8year old now 12)and cant wait to go again. we have also been to its sister hotel across the road. the hotel is always clean and the staff are contantly cleaning. the rooms are basic but the cleaning staff do a thorogh job of cleaning them. All the staff in the sunrise are amazing, they work all hours but cant do enough for you. if you do have any problems they will try thier best to sort it for you.

the pool is clean and tidy and the pool towels are always freshly washed. there are plenty of sunbeds, could do with more parasols but the pool guys do thier best to get kids some shade.

ok the food is a bit repetitive, but what all inc resort isnt. the italian and bbq restaurant make a nice change but make sure you book your 1 at each each week as soon as poss because they get very busy. Akram in the italian is great- really funny and azim and smiley iat the bbq are lovely.

the entertainment is ok but you do have the chioce of going to the sister hotel for the thomas cook and animation team show.

the photo guys are a good laugh, you can get a lovely set of pics, but haggle over the price. we got £25 knocked off the origional price, which most people just paid!

there is a fair selection of shops inside and out of the hotel. most of them arer really nice people but make sure you haggle. do beware of the perfume shop on the site as he will try to charge you more for the perfume oils than he should, but ask others what they paid as a guide, also his 'suntan oil' is no good. while we were there several people had bad reactions to it. the guy in the herbs shop also sells some for the same price and it is much better. his name is saeed and he wont hassle you!

there will always be people who moan and dont enjoy themselves, but we all know people like that!!!!!! we love it!
all in all we cant wait to get back and have already booked for next august!

• Liked — the staff, the reef
  • Disliked — the evening entertainment
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

well after reading the reviews on here i was really looking forward to going to sunruse and to be fair some of the comments on here are correct, the people are lovely and the hotel is spotless, but unfortunately there were a number of problems. the first were the drinks - they were horrendous. tasted of nothing really except pure alcohol and they have no concept of shot sizes even when asking for small amount they still out too much in, having to order 6 drinks at a time to mix your own was ridiclous! the beer was gross and the wine was only drinkable with lemonade and you have to get to the restaurant early in the evening (if you can stomach the food) or you have no chance of getting any service. which takes me onto the food which for the most part was inedible mush! my husband and daughter were ok as they ate rice and chicken (not what id paid £2000 for) but out of a possible 42 meals over the holiday i ate 7, now i am picky about my food admittably but even i couldnt stomach chips everyday for 2 weeks, the food by the pool was ok if you like chips and burger and the pastries they serve at about 4 pm were lush but was still starving hungry for most of holiday, so much so we made the trip to blackpool strip, oh sorry i mean naama bay, for food a number of times. then there was the pool which is every bit as beautiful as the pictures but unfortunaterly after wed been there a few days the hotel decided to shut half of it off, which meant that you had no chance of getting a lounger or a parasol.they then reopened that bit but shut off in front of the stage so no entertainment or music, just the smell of varnish! we went to the beach as it was beautiful with loads of loungers and parasols.
which takes me to another point, we left our 10 yr old daughter playing with her friends at about 4pm one day and on going to get her at 4.30 her towel had been removed by one of the staff, so i asked for my card to be told that they had no record, so i asked to speak to the manager who basically fobbed me off, spoke to rep Natalie, who was useless,. who told me that another guest had probably taken it to replace one that they had had stolen and that there was nothing they could do and that if a staff member had taken it it was because they didnt want bed reservation, to which i actually laughed in her face, as 1. laurens shoes were on top on the towel and 2 she WAS STILL IN THE POOL! this was at 4.30 in the afternoon ther were loads if beds around where she was and 3, you had to get up at 6 am to get a bed, no reservation my [--], so that was bollocks and whn i said this too her she said well they cant go removing them all as there would be carnage! ummm no i think its just another was for the hotel to make money (£15 for every card lost).
i know im sounding bitter, but my husband, daughter and i came back with food poisoning from the food at the hotle so beware what you think is egypt belly may not be. we did have a fantasitc holiday together though!
we have been to egypt before, and i have to say sharm is not egypt its like the costa del sol! 5 times more expensive that luxor and not anywhere as nice. my advise go for a week (but not to sunrise) and then go off somehwere else!
it wasnt just us that had these problems, most of the guests were complaining daily to no avail.

• Liked — cleaniliness
  • Disliked — food, drink, dishonesty of staff
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
hatfield, hertfordshire, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

after reading some reviews i thought it was going to be an average hotel and holiday , how wrong i was we arrived on the 28/07/08 we were greeted at the hotel by the assistant general manager Omar who was fanatastic from the day we arrived to the day we left , my daughter had a birthday on the 29th and they presented her with a cake at dinner and a small gift, my wife had a birthday on the 4th and she got 2 cakes a small one at dinner then a massive one later on in the bar, enough that everyone in the bar could have a piece.
I found the Hotel very clean and the rooms although basic were adequete and clean , we had a problem with our shower but after speaking to Omar it was sorted within the hour, ther was plenty of variety of food to choose from ,it was hot and presented very well , the waiter and staff were very helpful and friendly both in the restaurant and at the pool bar we made lots of friends the pool area is well maintained and the pool was cleaned and hoovered every night, my only grumbles were that if you wanted a sunbed in front of the pool you had to be up early to put your towels out, and even though the animation team did there best during the day the evening entertainment was a disappointment .

• Liked — staff friendlyness
  • Disliked — the russsians so rude
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We arrived at airport i was told not to pay no more then £7,but all the taxis men struck together and ripped everyone off £20,then had the cheek to ask for a tip.
Once we arrived at the hotel they did greet us well, we had dinner and found it very hard to get a drink, and for the next few days got worse, until we moved to the smoking area, where we got the best two waiters Mohammad and Sihid who were just great (we never even tipped them either). Then we where shown our rooms which were basic but clean. Our cleaner was there to greet us. I must say everyone goes on about the creatives they make with the towels, well i asked him about them and he said he was not allowed to make them. However, one morning i left about £4 on my side to put in my case and he had took it off my table and made me one so i was not to happy about that. Also, before we moved to the smoking area to eat, we did report the performance of certain waiters to the restaurant manager. At the end off the day we had a basket of fruit in the room, but wait for it... the next day the cleaner had taken it away which kind of annoyed me...again!!
Also we booked this hoilday with Fleetway who sold us it on their paper work as a 5 star hotel when it was a 4 star. The hotel manager told us this is happening alot, so I will be taking this furthur. By the way i would not class it as a 4 star more of a 2, based on food and sevice.
We all lost weight whilst living on soup for a fortnight.
Also keep your eyes on the two men who go round taking photos. They will take 2 or 3 of the family, then will flash away at your young daughter. Some of the poses they ask of the young girls to do are sometimes rather disturbing, so be aware. We did ask if they could delete the photos of us and our children, but this came across very offensive to them and stated 'we do not put them on the internet' when we didn't even mention them going on the internet. A trip to the pyramids is well worth it (go by plane). Be careful because sellers at hotel will try to rip you off. Quadbiking was excellant and great fun, but don't pay anymore than £10 per person. The weather never let us down, and the dry heat made the evenings more realaxing. All in all, didnt find the locals how I'd wished, and thought the hotel staff should have been more efficient than they were, which was a big dissappoinment. Would I go back to the Sunrise Hotel? No! But maybe go back to Eygypt for a one week cheap holiday for the sight-seeing.

• Liked — the constant hot water for showers
  • Disliked — service and food
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Island Garden Resort? Share your experiences!