“A great family time.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Al Diwan Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Al Diwan Resort to your Saves list
Al Diwan Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shark's Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt (Formerly Аль Диван Резорт)   |
Ranked #211 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“A great family time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have just spent a week at this hotel (24th Oct - 1st Nov) and was pleasantly surprised with the accomodation and the hospitality from all the workers at this hotel -- they all work so hard and they don't stop. We were lucky as it was the festival and a lot of Egyptians were coming for this period so there was evening entertainment- belly dancing, fire juggling, etc.. it was very repetative for the four nights but it didn't bother us as a family. The swimming pool was always cleaned up in the evenings. We as a family wanted a peace and quiet surrounding and we got that.

Syed the shop keeper was lovely, Ibraheem the waiter was excellent, and Ahmed the excursion rep at Sharks bay was very good , we booked all our excursions with him and without any fault. Quad biking the boys loved, The Tiran Island on the boat was relaxing with snorkling, and we also did the Cairo trip by plane through Ahmed- perfect. Maybe we were very lucky but we really enjoyed our stay at the Al Diwan - food was lovely - good breakfast, nice lunch and BBQ's in the evening with salad galore all day. DJ was entertaining and all the waiters were exceptional including Mohammed the manager. The reception guys were also nice and literally everyone, I can't remember all their names. Shahad the laundry guy did our room every day and new towels were left - he even went an extra mile and tidied up. They really do deserve tips as they all work so hard. If you want alot of childrens activites, night entertainment and proper British food then you are not going to get that. It is a basic hotel and what you pay is what you get. We will hopefully go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Gillingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

How to be misled and sold a holiday. Please do not book this hotel. Avoid at all costs, unclean, unsanitary, a death trap an accident waiting to happen. Bare wires hanging out near pool,flies and bugs seen in food, washing in dirty brown water, damp patches seen in hotel room, dirty linen on beds,cracked,dirty broken crockery, hot plate lids stained with previous evenings food, table cloths dirty, bird droppings on public walk ways,balconies and majority of floors, cats roaming place smells of cat urine, room door insecure, balcony door did not lock,television and remote control damaged, dirty stained shower curtain and shower nozzle typhoid waiting to happen scary, sink with loose taps toilet seat loose, spare bedding in wardrobe smelt of sweaty feet, unclean and not washed, no water in resort for half a day and not informed by staff, bar advertised branded drinks such as jack Daniels etc but when requested did not have,staff walking into kitchen smoking,chefs whites unclean,dirty and stained, lighting out in public areas, pool not clean and no filters in pool,Olympic rep refused to supply complaint form or even countersign a copy of letter we constructed of our concerns, Write up description in Brochure for Olympic Holidays misleading and a complete pack of lies, picture in brochure is not up to date as it does not match photos we have and we have returned 5/11/12. Due to the uncleanliness of the resort myself and partner experienced diarrhea and vomiting. PLEASE, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Neots, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hi everyone,

Well last year was the holiday from hell. This year at Al Diwan, so different. I went for two weeks from the 23rd September and the weather was superb.
Even more superb was the hotel I stayed in, clean and spacious rooms with wonderful towel and flower ensembles every day. Luckly I had two beds and the unused bed had at one time 6 different towels ensembles with flowers.

I had flowers in the bathroom too!!!!!!!!!! The hotel staff were absolutely fantastic, nothing too much trouble, I was waited on hand and foot, literally, anything I wanted was brought to me, I did not have to move from the pool, bar or restaurant or lobby. I had spectacular trips organised by Adel who worked in the hotel and organised my trip to a Moroccan night, trip to Luxor (valley of the kings) and more (a whole days worth - and very reasonable priced) Snorkling round the reefs, The night before I left supper in the desert with the beduins and star gazing, camel riding, Excellent, fun, informative and just down right great. Dont bother with the rep, they rip you off, you will always get a good deal with Adel. The restaurant manager was very efficent and helpful and ensured that all meals were very good, and they were, I never ate soooo much. Always cook fresh daily and soooo tasty.
The bar staff, well, great fun and very friendly and helpful. Never ran out of a full glass, no matter where I was in the hotel. Abrihim,Muchdar, Hussan the bestest. You must visit Syed in the supermarket in the hotel, he is great and again will give you a good bargain. Also the perfume shop. What can I say,give this hotel a go and you will be very happy with it.

Pool clean and fresh always, Loungers and parasols all in good condition.

I am going back next year, and if I could go now, I would.

Room Tip: As this is a small hotel, all rooms are good and close to the pool. You wont be disappointed with an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed at Al Diwan and I must say, I was really impressed. We thought we were booking for a 3 star hotel, but this hotel could have been rated a 4 star.

The architecture of the building is beautiful and the rooms are very spacious and clean. The rooms were not so crowded and close together so you can't hear other people in their rooms from yours and we didn't have to worry much about the noise we made.

The people working there were all very friendly and the Egyptians in general are very helpful and sunny people. The room service and cleaners were so understanding and learned our sleeping pattern and how often we wanted to have our rooms cleaned very quickly. And they even left us some towel art every time they visited! Which was very thoughtful and creative.

The hotel hosted a show every Saturday while we were there, usually with a belly dancer and food. I thought the food was good, curries, rice, pasta. It gave us the taste of their traditional food but they also tried to accommodate other cultures too. You can't expect fish and chips everywhere you go.

We booked all our trips through Adel, who works at the excursions trip desk on the balcony, close to where the outside tables and chairs are. He was really friendly and honest. I've been to Sharm before and found that the prices that he was selling the trips at were a lot better than other places I had been. He didn't pressure us at all - which is what I liked best. It really puts me off when sellers get clingy. He even organised our transport to and from the trips. We felt really safe and really enjoyed our trips!!!

The closest beach was less than 5 minutes on a shuttle bus that was free and passed by every hour till quite late.

The hotel also have their own regular taxi drivers as it seems. We really warmed up to an older guy called Ahmed. He just made us feel very safe.

All in all we had a great experience and would definitely do it again!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Devizes, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

hotel in need of refurbishment and could provide more entertainment as a taxi ride to anywhere. on the plus side the staff were great especially mina who organises trips and excursions at a reasonable price and was really pleasant and helpful. nothing was too much trouble for him, and his music and personality really made the holiday special even though the hotel was lacking a bit in other areas. good budget hotel and good value but could be improved.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Slough, Berkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

OK, so I have just returned from Egypt having spent two weeks in this hotel, so I can review it from my own experience.
The biggest problem with this hotel is location. It really is, frankly, in the middle of nowhere. In my two weeks here, I spent around GBP 100 on taxi fares, just to get me to the places where things were going on (e.g. Neama Bay). There is nothing happening in the hotel - it was mostly deserted, and very quiet and boring.
This hotel has been billed as a three star, but I frankly think that is generous. The room I had was pretty ordinary, with dreadful lighting in the evening, so that when I did stay in, I had to sit in the loo to read a book, as that was the only place with a decent light! Sleeping on the bed left me terribly stiff when I got up the next morning.
The staff tried hard and were mostly polite and helpful, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Only one staff member spoke more-or-less fluent English. The breakfasts were very ordinary, although the evening food was pretty good.
All in all, this hotel is ONLY suitable for anyone, e.g. a couple, who seriously want to spend the entire holiday holed-up in the hotel and never going out anywhere. If you want to be "where the action is" I must politely suggest avoiding it, as even if you spend a bit more money, you would have to spend it on taxi fares in this hotel anyhow.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Nairn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hotel was ok , not really that clean , staff were excellent , what nobody tells you is that this hotel has only been reopened for 5 months after been closed since 25 th jan 2010 due to the troubles in Egypt . Only half the hotel is open , the food is ok but does not cater for British people , so if your looking for your traditional full English I'm afraid too say you won't get it , apart from the that the price you pay is what you get . Nothing for kids too do at hotel .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Diwan Resort? Share your experiences!