“all you need to relax and chillout!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Domina Coral Bay Prestige Hotel

Save Saved
You added Domina Coral Bay Prestige Hotel to your Saves list
Domina Coral Bay Prestige Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Marsa El Dekhela | PO Box 74, Sharm El Sheikh 46619, Egypt   |
Ranked #17 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
oxfordshire
“all you need to relax and chillout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Hi we have just returned from a 2 week break, from domina prestige, through expedia we both loved the place, had the most chilled out time, and were welcomed and well tended to brilliantly by the main staff. A great resort, everything on site, super view from sea view room. crystal clear waters, lots of variety of pools beaches, bars cafes & shops. Private areas were excellent through prestige beach & pool. The internal bazaar shop staff arnt pushy just enquisitive.
Mustapha on prestige reception was excellent, as were the plasirs restaurant 5* also the staff, (ossama, taher, mohammed). Even though we used and tried all the restaurants, all the a la carte ones are the best, nice also piazzetta was tasty. Cleaning staff (ahmed) was excellent, so easy to go half board brekky & dinner as we dont drink, just sign for the drinks wherever you go and pay at the end with a discount. Club car was handy to get around, all on site supermarkets just took mainly english £ easy to pay for stuff and get change in egypt £. rate was approx 9EGP. hotel caters Mainly for italians & russians, we didnt mind, wasnt busy so better and peaceful or us. Elisir spa is a must if booking through prestige, awsome place to relax some days away. breakfasts were exceptional, and so was the a la carte meals. Buffet restaurants bit dodgy but try for the experience. You have such variety of choice on this huge resort, and we would definatley return to prestige only. well worth the little extra. fridges in room could be bigger as would a freezer compartment for ice creams. visit to Naama bay was ok., (glad we only visited one eve) as they are desperate n pushy for your business, be firm and polite have a banter, and walk on. glad to get back to the tranquility of coral. heat was about late 30s to early 40s, bearable and nice to have it go through your bones. Go in low season for more relaxation. dont buy from main hotel reception shops they are rip off. buy from internal bazaar, and haggle. Tip well and get treated better. good on site security, all in all lovley jublee as the locals will say.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

This was our seventh trip to Sharm with our twin boys, but our first to this hotel. With some trepidation (having seen mixed reviews here) we booked. It was just over £1000 for 9 days half-board on a promo rate through Travel Republic.

Prestige is one of six hotels making up the Coral Bay resort, but they are not separated from each other in any obvious way, except that Prestige has its own small beach and two pools, together with the Plaisir restaurant. As a Prestige guest, you can use any of the pools and beaches on the site. If you book half-board, you can eat at any restaurant, and for dinner that means a full three-course meal, even (very good) fillet steak if you wish.

Beverages are extra, but you receive a 30% discount on these. To get that discount, though, you have to sign for the drinks, not pay cash or by card. It's odd, but they are simply not geared up to cash or card payments here. You will be given a receipt to check against your extras bill - ours was spot-on... and surprisingly cheap, too. We spent well under £300 on lunches and (all our) drinks across 9 days. I reckon that's cheap for 4 people.

An earlier review mentions restaurant closures. We asked about this. Some were closed early this year, due to very low numbers of tourists as a result of the political situation in Cairo, but the resort was 100% open while we were there.

We were given a free upgrade to a sea-view room, without asking. We expected our two 5 year olds to be sharing a sofa bed, but they had provided an extra child-size single as well as the sofa bed - and still the room didn't feel cramped. Free safe, free wi-fi in the reception area. Wi-fi available in room for a charge. Mini bar, with reasonable prices. Spacious bathroom - not luxury, perhaps, but good enough and functional.

What the positive reviewers have said about Plaisir Restaurant is true. A little too formal for us for dinner, but perfect for breakfast. Impeccable service and good quality food. For dinner, we used mainly the steak restaurant and the pizza restaurant. We tried the Wadi buffet one evening - a disappointment. This was our seventh trip to Sharm with the boys, and for the first time, none of us had any "digestion issues" whatsoever. We were diligent about hand-washing before meals, but we can be certain the food itself (including salads) was untainted. For lunch, we ate mainly at the beach restaurants, and found the best one of the lot on our last day (Ali Baba's.) Wish we'd gone earlier!

As a Prestige customer, you have access to the Club Car service - they are golf buggies, basically - which will take you to anywhere in the resort and collect you again on request. You don't need the Taf Taf bus service that you'll find in some reviews. (Makes me wonder if some people have mistakenly reviewed one of the other hotels within the Coral Bay resort on this section of TA.) You also have free access to the Elisir spa, but be aware that they don't allow access to children under 14.

Pools and beaches all excellent. The resort is showing its age, but maintenance is generally good, and the friendly staff adore kids. All in all, fabulous value and no problems at all. Do the sums for yourself - the room is free, in effect, because the meals alone are worth £100 per day!

It really is an undiscovered jewel - perhaps because it is Italian-owned (Domina Group), it seems under-marketed in the UK. Most of the other guests are Italian and Russian (no comment) so if you like conversation over a beer in the evening, take your own friends and/or family with you! We met only one couple who spoke English in all the time we were there.

Room Tip: Best beach bar/restaurant is Ali Baba's!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
rocstarocsta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

we stayed the domina prestige at the beginninging of April. After a bit of difficulty finding our taxi we got to the hotel and we dropped off at the oasis. We were then taken by golf cart to the prestige. The room itself was a deluxe seaview room. The room was light airy and had a large balcony. We were very happy with the room and enjoyed our stay in it.

The staff are very friendly and they love kids you will find this everywhere in Egypt.

We were told when we booked in the only restaraunt that was open was the CORAL. Every morning and evening we ate their as Plasirs and the Prestige beach bar were closed. My partner nick named the Coral resteraunt the E-COLI restaraunt as it is pretty horrid. The food is basic and i would avioid at all costs if you want to avoid a stomach upset.
On the 4th day we had enough and asked if we could PAY to eat somewhere else (we were half board). We were told 2 other restaraunts were open, PETRUS and the PIAZZETA so on the last 3 days we ate at these in the evening only to find out on checking out these restaraunts are FREE for Prestige customers and we could have eaten their all along!! GREAT! (thanks for letting us know)

The hotel opened Plasirs on the 4th day as we were told more Russians were coming. I was a bit miffed at having to eat at the Coral resteraunt for 4 days so I negotiated a discount on our lunchtime room service costs as compensation which the hotel agreed to. In retrospect i should have asked for a discount on the whole stay as eating in the Coral tainted our experience.

We recommend the elisir spar which offers a 30% discount to prestige customers. Their is also a beach for the Prestige but we used the beach around the SALT LAKE in the centre as it has nice soft sand for children to play in. The Prestige beach is a little bit shingly so our daughter didnt like walking on it.

Please note this resort is mainly RUSSIAN around 80%. Their are quite alot of single women and alot of single men. In fact it is one step off club 18-30 in the evenings.

if you stay at this resort i would recommend to only book as high as a SALT LAKE OR SULTAN SUITE. Paying to stay at the Prestige isnt worth it.

dont go later than APRIL. It is too hot from then on and according to the staff packed with Russians.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We rested in the Prestige 5 nights. The hotel is certainly not "better than Dubai." Sea view room a bit old but comfort. Cleaning is good-all the necessary accessories are available. Mini bar replenished regularly. Very attentive staff.
We bought half board. Breakfast is good, but dinners we do not like (kitchen). But the service at the height-Plasirs restaraunt above all praise! Desserts there are good, selection of wines is limited.
The hotel beach is small and not always free sunbeds. The descent into the water, too, is not convenient, there are" traffic jams" (many people)
I think that for 200 euros per day you can find something better. While held in Sharm on the weekend do not regret.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Great Yarmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The service received by all the staff was without doubt the very best I have encountered on any holiday we have had. The moto for the Prestige hotel is "better than Dubai". I have visited Dubai on many occasions and I can honestly say it is better. Everything was taken care of without question. We arrived 8 hours prior to our check in time and were allowed to have the room early and there was no charge. I had requested a king size bed but when we arrived in our room twin beds were in place. Later in the day (when we were on the beach) the bed was swapped for a king size without any request from me or my wife.
The resort is huge but we were chauffered around in a golf buggy. Which is very good in the extreme heat.
The private beach was wonderful and allowed easy access to the sea from a floating jetty. Swimming in the red sea is just like swimming in a giant fish tank. Just walking along the floating jetty gave you an idea of how good it is.
The location of the hotel is very good. Far enough away from Naama bay and all the hustel and bustle. But close enough if you want it.
If you are going to book I suggest half board. As a prestige hotel resident you can eat at any of the food outlets. The Plaisirs is the signature restaurant but I highly reccommend the steak house. We ate there 3 times and each time it was first class.
Breakfast at the plaisirs is another excellent experience. All hot food is cooked to order and you do not have the hassle of buffet halls as you do in the other hotels on the resort.
Another great point for staying at the Prestige is you are allowed unlimited access to all the outdoor pools in the Spa and unlimited use of the gym. Laying on a sunbed with a fine spray of water cooling you is something to behold.
Top tip. Do not use the hotel water to clean your teeth. You will suffer a stomach upset. Both of us found this out to our cost. Use the free bottled water supplied daily in the room.
I have stayed at 5 hotels in Sharm and the Domina Coral Bay Prestige is the very best.
I have no doubt we will be returning again soon. First class all round.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010 via mobile

Just spent a week at the Prestige. We stayed half board, which is advisable. It is what it is! Hot weather everyday. Nice, but a aging sea view room.
Plasirs restaraunt is a real plus to the stay. Serving wonderful pasta and seafood dishes. Being able to eat fresh fish and pasta, served to your table, by very nice, but sometimes "over-helpful" staff members is a real bonus.
You will not be dissapionted!.
The Uk clientele is in the minority. But that is a bonus for me. Have a proper espresso at the dive centre, have a snorkel. Hang at the main "Prestige" pool all day. Take a club car to the supermarket to get your water supplys or wherever. Job done!
Just a shame that after all this time. Sharm airport is a absolute nightmare!! Get some management in there sharpish. That is the real problem.

• Stayed June 2010
N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

Hi There,

We have just returned from a week in the Domina Prestige Hotel, which is part of the sprawling Coral Bay Resort, located about 10 minutes from Naama Bay, which, trust me is a very good thing!

We planned this holiday in October 2009, as a reward for our twin children who had both recently completed the controversial post primary transfer tests in N. Ireland. We don’t believe we got a particularly good offer on the holiday cost wise, and accepted that the fact it was a ‘prestige’ hotel, that you had to pay for it!!

Firstly, we had an excellent week overall, and I would return to this area again for winter sunshine – the weather was simply fabulous! However, I would do things a little differently next time… Firstly, I would never go anywhere near Naama Bay, or the market areas of ‘old Sharm’. The environment is hostile and threatening, and what they sell is total tat. The locals will try to exploit everyone. I was short changed in a spice shop using old currency – costing me £100 EP!!

In terms of our accommodation, although perhaps it is a little ‘colonial’ in terms of décor and perhaps just a little tired it was very comfortable. On arrival, we thought the room could have been cleaner – there were lipstick marks on the wine glasses, and more dust on the surfaces than I would have liked. A call to the guest relations soon had housekeeping busying to rectify situation.

Externally, the veranda area had wooden shutters which were a nice touch, but also had 2 lovely comfortable sofa’s which made our evening drinks very pleasurable – although a word of warning for alfresco comfort, protect yourself from insects!! (little b*ggers ate me alive!!)

Moving to the pools… This is what you pay for. Gorgeous pools, stunning outlook, and comfortable sun beds. The prestige element of this hotel means that it is protected from the madding crowds, and really very peaceful. The photos on the website do represent what you will experience, however, the wooden boardwalk areas are burnt up a bit, and in some areas they have lifted presenting a real trip hazard!

A short stroll down the hill would take you to the prestige private beach. Really fab location. There was a pontoon which floated out over a live reef, and steps at the end which allowed you easy access to the depths at the edge of the reef – Trust me, if anything would coax me back to sharm it would be the snorkeling. I have never experienced anything like it!!

Food: We had the half board option which was suffice. Lunch snacks were taken by the pool, and the rolls/burgers were of high quality and not that expensive.

For Breakfast and Dinner we had a choice of two restaurants, Plasiars, or El Wady. Both were excellent in their own ways, although I could describe Plasiars as very fine dining! We enjoyed this a lot, and even though our kids are just 11yo, they also enjoy the finer things in life. We had breakfast here each morning, a fantastic selection for the self service buffet, followed by al a carte eggs!!

El Wady in the evenings serves good old fashioned steak and chips, but also on the other extreme a seafood casserole to die for. Plasiars was much different, and indeed leaned toward the Italian guests. In both locations, the price of wine was down right ridiculous. I like wine, so I treated myself, (I’m on holidays!!), but 85 Euro for a £10 bottle is taking the P. El Wady wine was similarly expensive, but at least they gave you to choice of ‘local’ wines for circa £20 stg a bottle!

In summary, I recommend this hotel for a winter sunshine week, at the right price. I would go back under the right conditions. As for what we experienced of Egypt, it done nothing to encourage me back. The place is filthy, and disgusts me. I was glad to get through the airport and back on the plane home to the UK – at least I know I wouldn’t suspect that I was being ripped off anymore – I would know I was!!

Finally, the slogan of the Domina Resort was “Better Than Dubai”…. No it isn’t, not by a long long way!! So it’s back to the Palm Tree Court Hotel in Dubai for me us in the Summer!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Domina Coral Bay Prestige Hotel? Share your experiences!