We have recently returned from a two week stay at the Marriott Mountainside resort. We had a nice holiday, but only once we made the most of a bad situation and got on with it. We also met some nice people so that helped us.
When we first arrived and checked in the initial impression of the hotel was disappointment, it wasn't a 5* that we are used to. I would rate it as 3* at best.
Our room was naff and had mould in the grout in the bathroom and our curtains didn't shut meaning that at sunrise we would be woken up. We asked to change and reception refused, I then rang the manager who was very polite and helpful and the receptionist then showed us two other alternatives. HOWEVER the rooms advertised on the website are that of the Marriott Beach side resort across the road, misleading.
It was Ramadan when we arrived, which is fine we knew this before we went. However the food served was naff, and got remarkably better once Ramadan was over and the hotel was more full of Arabic guests.
The all inclusive was a massive issue as it does not include water or drinks on the beach, nor does it include anything from the pool bar. The lunch time buffet was served across the road at the beach resort , breakfast and dinner was at the mountain side resort, a pain in the back side. You could get snacks at the Pegola bar on the mountain side so we ate from there most days.
The hotel has 2 ala carte restaurants a Tepenyaki and an Italian, however like all other all inclusive resorts ,( where you get a free meal in each restaurant at least once during your vacation), all this gave you was a 75 LE discount. (£7.50!). Again I complained and the manager kindly gave us a free meal in each restaurant and 1 free bottle of water per day at the beach !
The other English people at the hotel all agreed and had the same issues.
The website is deliberately misleading to entice holiday makers to stay there.
The rep... I had the misfortune of needing to attend hospital during my stay in Sharm el Sheik, the rep at our hotel ( Mohammed from ETS travel), organised a car to take us there and bring us back, for free paid for by the travel company. The driver on our return refused to take us back unless we gave him 40 euros each way! We ended up practically hitch hiking back to the hotel as we had no money on us on advise from the rep that we wouldn't need any. I told the rep in the morning who seemed un affected by this. And didn't apologise despite saying he'd look into it. He also never got back to me regarding an excursion that we wanted to book.
The civil war that kicked off on our last week was obviously not the hotels fault but when we got curfews the hotel only catered for its Arabic guests, there was not enough room in any of the restaurants to eat as it was so packed.
HOWEVER we cannot fault the staff at all, they were all amazing and polite, helpful everything you could wish for in waiters, bar staff and chamber maids.
I know I will get some form of message from the "English" rep at the hotel, but I am not interested. Low cost holidays and other companies should be aware that the 5* hotel they believe to be advising is not the case. As a Marriott card holder and regular Marriott guest this is the worst one by far.
- Also Known As:
- Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Hotel
- Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Sharm El Sheikh Marriott
- Marriott Sharm El-Sheikh
- Sharm El-Sheikh Marriott
- Marriott Sharm El Sheikh
- Marriott Sharm
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sharm El Sheikh Marriott is beautifully suited on the promenade of the Red Sea shore on the popular Naama Bay, where you can find all the shopping malls, "Sheesa Cafes", international bars and restaurants as Hard Rock Cafe and Little Buddha Bar. The Resort featuring 216 Rooms and Suites on the Beach Building and 304 Rooms and Suites on the Back Building, all water sports are available with experts instructors, animation team, children activities,3 swimming pools one of which is seasonally heated, fully equipped health club, gymnasium, sauna, steam room & massage and delectable delicious & creative cuisines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Marriott, Tingo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.