We were looking for somewhere with sunshine and warm water in September, where we could go snorkelling off the beach without having to depend on dive boats or other organised trips. Sharm el Sheikh seemed an obvious destination and this hotel was suggested to us by Kuoni. We had a Club Room (also their suggestion) and overall this hotel fulfilled all our requirements.
The Club Room is not so much a type of room (although it may be larger than a standard room – can't quite remember) as a room that includes access to the Club Lounge. This was the venue for breakfast and 4 other offerings throughout the day, encompassing lunchtime snacks, afternoon tea, pre-dinner nibbles and after dinner treats, as well as drinks. (The Egyptian wine was really quite palatable!) This kept us well topped-up throughout the day and as a consequence we did not need huge evening meals in the restaurants. The staff in the Club Lounge were very courteous and helpful, as were all the other staff that we met during our stay, including the beach supervisor, who brought ice buckets to our sun loungers on a daily basis, to keep our water bottles chilled. In the evenings we ate in the Italian and Lebanese restaurants and found them to be of very high quality, but by no means cheap; we also had a meal outside, overlooking the sea, on a special fish evening. That was also very good.
As for the snorkelling, which was the reason for going: excellent. Access was via a floating walkway from the beach, going out across the top of the coral to a pontoon on the deep water side. From here there was a wall of coral stretching out in both directions, with fish in abundance. The water was clear and the visibility good, and we had some good sightings – so much so that we invested in a spotter's guide to work out what we had seen! If there was one criticism of the snorkelling it would be that the extent of the coral in the hotel's marked-off zone (buoys on a rope) is relatively limited, so after our week we felt we had done it pretty thoroughly. Not the hotel's fault, but nevertheless the reason why we would not rush back immediately.
Overall, absolutely what we wanted and we were more than satisfied.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than a luxurious resort, the Monte Carlo Sharm el Sheikh allows you to step into a world of relaxation and indulgence, where the finest Egyptian hospitality is guaranteed. Individual, elegant & refined, our rooms offer the ultimate in comfort & convenience. As an unsurpassed diving & snorkeling destination & just 20 minutes from Sharm el Sheikh International Airport, The Monte Carlo offers all year round sunshine in a setting of 100,000sqm of beautifully landscaped gardens, crystal clear pools & lazy river & overlooks the environmentally protected coral reefs of the Red Sea. Recalling an era of gracious living, The Monte Carlo offers the personalized service & deluxe amenities required by todays discerning traveler. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Venere, TripOnline SA, Prestigia, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Monte Carlo Sharm El Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Sharm El Sheikh Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Ritz Carlton Sharm El Sheikh
- Sharm El Sheikh Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Carlton Egypt
- Ritz Sharm El-Sheikh