Spent a lovely week here with my husband from Christmas Eve until New Year's Eve 2012. We have been to Sharm el Sheikh 4 times previously, but never to this hotel. This hotel compares favourably to the others we have stayed in before (Jolie Ville, Reef Oasis Blue Bay and the Royal Azure). The big plus at the Iberotel Palace is that it is much smaller than the others - not so many rooms, so everything is really close by. Walking from our room to Reception... to one of the restaurants...., to the swimming pool.... to the beach.... was only a few yards.
We were surprised on check-in, to be upgraded from the Superior Room we had booked, to a De Luxe Room - I'm not sure what the difference was really, but our room looked onto the lower swimming pool, and it was very nice. Here's the good and the bad.......
* Our room was well appointed and comfortable. It had really everything that you could have wanted - air conditioning that actually worked very well; a very comfy huge bed; telly, 2 chairs, small table, tea and coffee making facilities; plenty drawer space; hairdryer; vanity mirror with magnifier; safe; laundry service; bath robes; face flannels; bidet; huge walk-in shower like a wet room; some basic toiletries provided - all really good. We were in room 3111. It was on the ground floor with a patio (no balcony), but we could walk out of our bedroom and lie on loungers beside the pool, literally 10 steps from our door. The patio didn't really get any sun.
* The hotel has 3 swimming pools - the lower one is unheated and pretty cold; the upper one is a heated infinity pool and is fab; there is also an indoor heated pool in the spa area which looked really nice.
* The staff were all lovely - Gamal was our favourite waiter - he looked after us so well. Mo out at the poolside also looked after us with sunbeds and beach towels etc. There were also plenty of loungers and we saw no problems with people booking beds etc. The Reception staff were also very helpful.
* We were asked every day, how things were and if we wanted to report anything or improve on anything. This did get a bit wearing every single day, but we reckoned this was better than not being asked at all. The staff and management genuinely couldn't do enough to help.
* The food was certainly all edible, there were plenty of choices and we didn't get upset stomachs or anything like that.
* The weather was amazing. It was around 26 degrees C every day with clear blue skies. It does get quite chilly in the evenings in December, right enough, so make sure you've got a wee warm jacket for evenings.
* We found the shower very slippery, and had to ask for a non-slip mat to stand on. When we requested it, it was brought to us within a couple of hours, and it did the job very well.
* Yes, you do hear the Muslim "call to prayer" every 4 hours starting at 5am. Our room was positioned quite well, so that it wasn't overly loud, but we did hear it from time to time.
* There are 3 restaurants but 2 of them serve the same buffet. The 3rd one is an A la Carte Italian Restaurant that you are allowed to visit once per stay as part of your All Inclusive deal. The food did start to become quite boring and repetitive by the end of the week. One week was fine, but 2 weeks would have been a challenge. Breakfast was good, lunch was OK, but dinner at night was beginning to bore us a bit as it was quite 'same-y'.
* Local alcoholic drinks are not great. Rum and Coke was OK. Ouzo and Sprite was OK. The whisky was awful. The cocktails were poor. The white wine was dreadful, but the red and rose were both OK. The beer was fine. Overall, not fantastic for drinks.
* There wasn't much hanging space in the wardrobe.
* The special events for the festive season weren't great - cocktail parties mainly, where the Managers looked embarassed to be there and didn't mingle very well. The ladies were great - Annette, Iryne, etc, but the guys weren't so forthcoming.
This is a nice hotel and we wouldn't hesitate to come back again for one week in the winter time. If you want a quiet place, with an older crowd, a nice room, lovely swimming pools, and great staff - this is it. Don't expect gourmet food or delicious cocktails. Don't expect much entertainment either really. We did enjoy it overall because it suited us fine.
Room 3111 is an upgraded room on the ground floor - no balcony. It is a quiet room and is right bes...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.