As divers we normally go for the 'cheap and cheerful' option in Sharm but as it was our 30th Wedding Anniversary and had another couple with us we went for something a little more upmarket, and I'm so glad we did. Firstly, this review may be coloured by the fact there were only 25 guests staying at the place last week due to the recent political troubles. Bad for the hotel, disastrous for the staff and bad for the tourist industry but great for the guests. I understand the always-boisterous Italians and the big-spending Russians are coming back imminently so your experience may differ. When we were there, a few Brits were staying along with mainly Arab/ Egyptian guests.
THE HOTEL: What you'd expect. Very large, low-lying with an annexe not used when we were there for obvious reasons. Brilliant location right on the promenade so we could walk to the Dive Centre (we use Ocean College) but this is a double-edged sword. It means you're also close to the main strip and we experienced quite a bit of noise way into the night. We found leaving the air-con on helped as did cotton wool and ear plugs. Didn't bother me really but my wife was disturbed a few nights. If this may bother you then I'm really not sure moving to another part of the hotel will help.
Large pool area; lots of loungers. Huge beach area with loungers and parasols. Multiple bars and restaurants etc. Rooms spacious with nice balconies. Our friends had two balconies which was uselful for drying out the dive kit at the end. Rooms were cleaned daily and it showed. We caught our regular guy washing the floors under the bed one day. Very thorough.
MEALS: Only went on B&B basis but was typical of Egypt. Meats and savouries alongside cereals and sticky buns. Anything you wanted really, including lots of fresh fruit and yoghurt. Omelettes made to order. Quality was fantastic.
STAFF: The best part. Never surly, always helpful. Ursina, the Guest Relations Manager, was fantastic and when she said she would help if there were any problems you felt she meant it. The cleaners, pool guys and even the gardeners and security guys were always chatty and smiling. Bearing in mind they'd been going through a difficult period this surprised us. We left more tips than we have ever done before. Speaking a little Arabic helped as it broke the ice and they almost always laughed (in a nice way) at my efforts. Even though we dived almost every day, the pool guys had towels out on our loungers waiting for us come 4.30pm. They always asked us what we'd seen on the dives.
CRITICISMS: Hard to find any really. The noise would be a problem for some but the hotel has no control over that. I suspect the cost of insulation would be prohibitive. The pool could do with some tiles replacing and the grout cleaned up a bit. One concern was that we were told the security guards, who worked 12 hour shifts, were not allowed to drink water unless on a break. If they were caught on CCTV they would be disciplined. No idea if this is true but if so it's just plain wrong. Temps were in the upper 30's last week! Jolie Ville sort this out! Your staff are your biggest asset.
We heard Thomson may be removing this hotel next year and if so they are making a mistake, though they may feel they have valid reasons. We heard of guests staying at another hotel nearby who all asked to be moved because it was that bad. I'll be writing to Thomsons shortly about this. The Jolie Ville is a great hotel with wonderful, friendly staff that contributed to a fantastic couple of weeks in the sun. Highly recommended.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Jolie Ville Resort & Casino Sharm El-Sheikh Hotel
- Maritim Jolie Ville Resort & Casino Sharm El-Sheikh Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Maritim Jolie Ville Resort And Casino Sharm El-Sheikh
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 'The hotel occupies a prime location right in the centre of Sharm el Sheikh on Naama Bay’s promenade and sandy beaches of the Red Sea, offering 396 rooms including 23 suites, in 42 bungalows. All rooms are equipped with balcony or terrace, bathroom/WC, hairdryer, climate control, minibar, safe, telephone and Satellite TV. The cosy standard rooms are located in the Sport Area, which is around 300 metres from the main building and 700 metres from the beach. The comfort rooms are situated at the Palm Area, located beside the main reception area. 50 to 500 metres from the beach is the Preferred Front Area where the elegant superior rooms are situated. Gastronomic facilities feature 9 restaurants and bars covering a broad spectrum of international cuisine including 4 à-la-carte restaurants (thereunder a French and an Italian one) and the famous Beach BBQ. 24-hour room service is provided. The hotel’s expansive grounds and sports facilities ensure active guests have plenty to do. Newly built Thai Spa and wellness center, 4 tennis courts, children club, SUBEX diving centre, parasailing, various water sports, volleyball, horse/camel riding, safaris, jeep, quad and boat trips are offered. The Maritim Jolie Ville golf course is approx. 7 km from the hotel. Two pools (one with seawater and one with freshwater) are amidst the landscaped gardens. Kids will enjoy their time in the holiday club, open the whole year through for children from 4 to 12 years. Bakery, shops, bank, limousine service and a doctor in house are also offered. Maritim Jolie Ville Resort & Casino occupies a conference centre, built on 3.000 m² of land, consisting of 7 meeting rooms, the biggest of which can accommodate up to 500 persons. All meeting rooms are equipped with the latest technology. Besides, the “Casino Royale” is operated by Casinos Austria International and located opposite the hotel. Business hours of reception: 24/7 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Otel and Expedia so you can book your Maritim Jolie Ville Resort & Casino Sharm El-Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.