“Fur coat, no knickers..” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
City Break
Ranked #87 of 228 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“Fur coat, no knickers..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed in this hotel on business recently for 2 nights. I travel alot and never really use this site to comment as most places are fine overall- but I am just back from Sharm and really think this hotel NEEDS reviewing!... I'm a single lady traveller and some places just don't get it.. this is one of them.
The Novotel is a beautiful looking place- new, and spread out, the pools were just as inviting as in the pictures, however, there it ends.. If you're on your holidays and don't really have any demands other than a nice room, pretty pool and grounds and a decent, not overly expensive restaurant then it's fine. But if you're here on business then beware!!... the service was BAAADDD!- I had booked a private airport transfer to smooth my late night arrival. When I arrived at Sharm airport there was, thankfully, a hotel driver with minibus waiting- but not for me! Apparently they had 'lost' my booking but conveniently managed to find it when I appeared at around midnight in the hotel reception after a VERY long wait to get there. I asked specifically for a room not too far from reception as a lone lady traveller I find this provides me with a bit of extra security. I was of course given a room about half a mile away from the reception, possibly the farthest away anyone could be.. when asked if there was anything else, even if I paid more I was told they had no rooms free- but whilst I was told this I could see the screen the receptionist was reading off and about1/3 of the rooms on his screen were empty/clean.. frustrating to say the least. I trudged off to my room in the darkness..
The hotel were unable to change currency for me which I required as I arrived very late at night and needed to get a taxi the next morning- the cash machine over the road was not working and the reception staff were unwilling to help or suggest an alternative.
There is no taxi service/hotel car service at all- so the security/door man just watched me walk to the roadside and try and flag down a passing taxi- without a hint of coming over to assist me or ensure I got a half decent driver/taxi.
The reception seems to be manned by only one person at a time- not much for a hotel of this grand size and he seemed rather unable to cope with checking guests in and out, answering telephone calls, making bookings and dealing with queries all at the same time, watch you leave plenty of time for all of this!
My room was alright- nothing impressive but clean and functioning, although the aircon struggled to keep the room even vaguely cool when the temp outside was 40C.. not very comfortable for sleeping in.
Finally- my overwhelming impression of the attitude of the all male staff in this hotel was of rudeness and arrogance. They were unwilling to help, discourteous to me at best and downright rude at their worst. I left with such a terrible opinion of this hotel I felt I must let others know..
PS - no WIFI!!!!!
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo-Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is an amazing hotel:
Directly overlooking the Red Sea in Naama Bay.
Has a nice sandy beach
You can sea the colourful reeves and fish just by sitting on the jetty
Clean
Cosy
It has a big pool

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

This is the place to stay in Sharm - Beats the others hands down. I researched and researched prior to booking my trip - and whilst most of my friends recommended the usual "all inclusive resorts" as an option - I thought it would stop me venturing out and experiencing Sharm. I booked the Novotel (B&B) and whilst it does not have an all singing and dancing huge pool like so many others it is totally faultless in every other way. The room was immaculate and very spacious. The Air Con in the room was really good - completely welcome end to a day out in 40+ degree heat! The staff go out of their way to accomodate your needs. This hotel has a private beach immediatley adjacent to the hotel and the staff will come to your sun lounger to wait on you with ice cold drinks. Breakfast was very good - a big selection of fresh breads, fruits, salds and there's also hot food, eggs, freshly cooked omlettes and sausages. No tummy troubles here - everything was so fresh and the ice is mineral water - unlike other hotels - so not a day spoilt by the dreaded "Pharoahs Revenge". I really cannot recommend this hotel enough and having spoke to several other travellers most had been to Sharm several times before - using the Novotel repeatedly having tried and been disappointed by other hotels. The food is pretty expensive (200 egyptian pounds / £20) for evening buffet in the restaurant - but a room service meal is about 60 Egyptian/£7.50 and is more than sufficient to feed 2 people ! Behind the hotel is a walkway which backs all the beach front hotels and leads from one end of Naama Bay to the other. From the Novotel it is a pleasant 5-10 minute stroll into Sharm-El-Sheikh town (depending on how hot it is and how fast you feel like walking!) Not really the place for bunches of lads or girls on stag or hen do's - more suitable for couples/small groups of friends/small family groups - Definitely a high end hotel for the more discerning traveller.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Went to this hotel with my boyfriend, for a 2 weeks holiday. We arrived late in the evening and got picked up in the reception, by a golf car, who drove us through a beautiful and romantic garden. Our room was perfect! Huge bed and big bathroom. Very clean! We woke up to a cloudy but hot first day, so we tok a walk and looked around in Naama bay. Good shopping an beautiful beach! The rest of our holiday was sunny, and we spent the days at the beach. Beautiful corals by the beach, with thousands of colorful fish. I recommend to buy a snorkel and take a look at the underwater world! We had breakfast included at the hotel, and it was very good. Also very good dinner at the hotel. A lot of good restaurants in Naama Bay, but The Hard Rock Cafe was the best. I`ve been to Hard Rock Cafe in Hurghada, Oslo, Gran Canaria and Thailand, but the best best food was in Naama Bay. Excellent! The hotel has a perfect location at the beach promenad, and everything was clean. Big and beautyful pool at The Palm. This was our best holiday ever, and we cant wait to get back!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

LOCATION: We decided to stay at the Novotel Palm despite reading a few negative reviews on this site about its location. The Novotel Palm is indeed located across the street from its sister hotel Novotel Beach, and in order to aceess the beach and other facilities guests of the Novotel Palm have to cross a 4 lane road. However, there's enormous speed bumps AND TWO staff that would literally stop the traffic for you to cross the street so being on the other side was never a problem. In addition, unlike the Novotel Beach, the 2 pools at the Palm are not crowded at all, and we always got a sunbed with umbrella, which the staff helped you with if you needed it. The resort is very peaceful - perfect for relaxing. I think that the most amount of people in our pool at one time was 7, including us.
The hotel is conveniently located about 10 min walk away from the center of Naama Bay, where there are several restaurants, bars, clubs, shops etc. including the Hard Rock Cafe, Pacha, TGI Fridays and the Little Buddha.

FOOD: The selection at the breakfast buffet is extensive, and the quality of the food is excellent. We did not go for the half board option so no idea about the dinner buffet, but we had room service and lunch by the pool several times: always very good food. Also, although the room service is more expensive than eating at the numerous restaurants nearby, is very good value for money.

HOTEL FACILITIES AND ROOMS: The 2 pools at the Palm are just great, perfect for relaxing. The only remark is that they should have a children pool - I personally don't like swimming with a 9 month baby who obviously won't mind weeing in the pool. The beach is gorgeous and the restaurants very good. The rooms are spacious, clean and very very comfortable (especially the bed!, OMG the bed was amazing). Mini bar was well stocked, with plenty of room to add your own drinks, and kept everything ice cold! The air conditioning in the room seemed a little weak at first, but spending only 5 minutes outside you realised that it was actually very good.There is also all sort of activities if interested, and several companies nearby that organize trips - we did the quad bike ride in the desert and it was great.

HOTEL STAFF AND LOCALS: Egyptians are extremely courteous and will do anything they can to help. A nice tip always helps too (they love British pounds), but they are usually nice regardless. Same applies to the hotel staff - they were almost harassing us trying to be helpful - We think the guy cleaning our room was waiting for us to leave each morning so he could give us new towels and clean up.

In short, we would not hesitate to book at this hotel again, and can only say nice things about it.
Feel free to ask us anything you'd like - we are more than happy to share our experiences with you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Yerevan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Well,,, Novotel is my favorite hotel,,I`ve been in Sharm few times, first time was in Novotel,,and I like tht ,,tht have good management at 2008 year .. then I visite other hotel tht ll never visite again,,even if this year management is changed and food become little bit poor than it was be4,but anyway stuff is good,management is good and they re working to make tht better..
we become friends with manager of tht hotel and now every time we visite Sharm,,its only Novotel,,and only our room,,with the great balcona and sea view..
Even if u ll not like food today,,be sure they re workin to be better!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

The so called "5 Star" Novotel Palm hotel looks very attractive and clean however that's where it ends. (Love Naama bay! just choose a diff hotel)

Here's Why:
1) Only a small number of staff could speak English, shocking considering its the most common language spoken there by tourist.
2) Extremely poor room service, I have stayed in 3 star hotels with better.
3) Very basic facilities in the room and around the hotel. e.g poor quality beds, no irons, no kettle, no lifts!
4) The air con in the room and fridge were no where near cold enough, take into consideration its one of the hottest places around.
5). Everyone is very polite although getting any type of service from them was impossible.

Overall, I love Sharm and would go back in a heart beat but would not stay in the same hotel which PLEASE NOTE; IS NOT 5 STAR IN MY OPINION.

Happy Holidaying

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Novotel Sharm El-Sheikh? Share your experiences!